CAP 9 CAP 9 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@m190049
It looks a whole lot better colored, but i have to agree with Tortferngatr, you need to thicken the legs and change them toes.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Well, here's another take on the dust devil.

Going to work on it more later. I really need some sleep now.

Looking goddamn fantastic as always, aragornbird, but personally I feel it's fallen into the same problem as Atyrokis'- its an amazing bit of art, but the shape is wanting some serious simplifying and streamlining in order to make a more solid design. At least, that's my take on it.

Updated. Though I think I might've overdid the thickness just a bit...?
Well, maybe not, if you look at it for a bit...

@-T-I-F-
Funny you should mention fangs, as I actually had those on the original paper drawing but I removed them later on. Hm... Sand fangs? I debated whether or not I should make them the same color as the frill spine tips, though decided to go with the same color as the bodylines... Good/bad?

Also, I was trying to avoid a segmented tongue, as real Frill-Neck Lizards don't have them (Consistency of some sort...? Though since when is Pokemon consistent?), and to avoid making it look too serpentine... Though I tried thinning it a bit and making it sharper.

I also had nails on the original paper drawing as well, but I removed those rather early on as they didn't really look that great...
I tried adding rings though. Basic, but something.

I also fixed the toes a bit. I wanted them inconsistently sized, like the real thing, though I think it was a bit overboard before.

...Hm... One thing I had on the original was some spines along the backline. Didn't like them that much, (and were freakishly annoying to draw (and re-draw in paint when I tried it for a moment)) though should I try re-adding them? ...Sand spines...? Bleh.

Woo, Cap 9!

so..

A horny toad...horned devil..and a desert creature. Fitting of the 'Ground' type, but also having a darkish quality about it.

A mole?!..well, part mole, part naked mole rat, in so far as the 'dark' aspect. Mole rats live most of their lives in the dark underground..

Tasmanian devil! ..a ground dwelling mammal..:D and due to its aggresive nature, it does seem somewhat..dark..ish. It evolves into a werewolf type thing..so its mostly its four legged form that would be for Cap 9.

Im having trouble deciding on which one to choose, in so far as Cap 9.

(Hopefully I made it in time lol)

But yea, these are my designs, which are also part of my own Fakedex..:3 I though them fitting for Cap 9..so yes.

Well, here's another take on the dust devil.

Going to work on it more later. I really need some sleep now.
Looking great! You might want to consider adding a little more 'dark' to it though--yes, it has the devil shape, but the color scheme seems pretty Ground-focused. Just a suggestion though.

Inspired by Chomzloh's unfinished bipedal Anubis, I'm throwing my hat into the ring at the eleventh hour, and offer up my own creation (half-assed as it may be). As yet, it's uncolored and a bit rough, mostly due to my lack of real art skills. :naughty: I drew quite a bit of inspiration from various renderings of Anubis, with the addition of trying to make the bottom dissolve away into sand. However, as I said before, lack of real art skills kinda made this pretty hard. I should have something cleaned and colored by Monday, though that may be easier said than done.

Oh, and if anyone with talent wants to take this and run with it, go right ahead. I'd like to see what could be done at the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Enjoy!

Regarding some of the art here, I love Fraog's miner concept, it is interesting and I'd like to see it develope. Keishinkae, out of your pieces I like the Tasmanian Devil the best, and think that that stands out the most from existing pieces, and I'd also like to see that develope. M1900, I actually like the Salamander but I have two suggestions: It looks a little more Dark/Water right now because it looks moist. Maybe dry it out a little bit? I don't know, it can still have the Salamanderness while being dry (Hippowdon is a dry Hippo =P). Also, I think fangs/claws might add something to this piece to make it a little more badass. Just my 2 cents.

Woo, Cap 9!

so..

Tasmanian devil! ..a ground dwelling mammal..:D and due to its aggresive nature, it does seem somewhat..dark..ish. It evolves into a werewolf type thing..so its mostly its four legged form that would be for Cap 9.
I really like this submission. It's very pokemony and definatly looks dark/ground. I like you others too, but if I had to pick one, it'd be this one.

3 designs so far... I need help picking one! If you care to help me out, please just drop me a PM or something so I can make up my mind.

BTW, Keishinkae, I have no idea how I missed your Tasmanian Devil concept; it's fabulous! Touch up the lineart, give it a nice colour scheme and we've got a serious contender on our hands here.

GreenMambas Mockturtle is my definite favourite here. The first CAP art that I think looks something like pokemon. (Well, Arghonaut was close) It is executed perfectly and the consept is good. The others really didn't stand out for me.

Version two. I'm considering finalizing this so I can get on with a color scheme and some supporting art, but I could really use some comments for improvement.

(I should mention that majority of the body is black.)

@aragorn: your colored version just doesn't give me the same vibes that your sketch did. Try making the insides of the eyes white again. I think that was what did it for me.

@Chom: while it may not be as popular as the other, my favorite is 1.

@Fraog: I like it, but I don't. It's supposed to be humanoid-like, yet it looks like a monster to me. Those drill feet aren't natural... Lol

I really like the Dust Devil design. something about the colors is just weird though. The ground based colors working for the most part, mixing in some darker colors would make it a lot stronger I think. The concept is really creative though. Fits stop the secondary really well.

m1900, I actually like the Salamander but I have two suggestions: It looks a little more Dark/Water right now because it looks moist. Maybe dry it out a little bit? I don't know, it can still have the Salamanderness while being dry (Hippowdon is a dry Hippo =P). Also, I think fangs/claws might add something to this piece to make it a little more badass. Just my 2 cents.
...I don't quite follow on the 'dry' thing... Although it may have to do with the fact that it's not a salamander- it's supposed to be a Frilled Lizard...

I had nails earlier, but they looked rather awful and messy so I removed them.

Fangs:

Yeah, I thnik the Dust Devil design would work with some more vibrant colors...like making the "devil's" eyse red instead of the same color as its entire body.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/fossilspriter/pharaohground-darkfake.png
idk
a pharoah/mummy/thing mix, with lots of inspiration from Bad Toro. hurrhurr. should I continue, or try a new idea? tell me what you think. :)

pkmn-tachio's is excellent, shits so cash. liked the first one better though, and I love the tail.

Cyvir, loving that mask fake, the anteater, and the narwhale.

Aragorn, great idea, man. very simple, yet effective.

Bad Toro, you've got lots of competition, but you probbably have my vote already. <3 I usually don't like the cute ones, either, but I really just love it.

Here's my newest idea for the art design. Its sort of a drill imp, he idea is that it's bottom half is a drill, and it can slam the dome on its head down to hide its appearance.

Inspired by Chomzloh's unfinished bipedal Anubis, I'm throwing my hat into the ring at the eleventh hour, and offer up my own creation (half-assed as it may be). As yet, it's uncolored and a bit rough, mostly due to my lack of real art skills. :naughty: I drew quite a bit of inspiration from various renderings of Anubis, with the addition of trying to make the bottom dissolve away into sand. However, as I said before, lack of real art skills kinda made this pretty hard. I should have something cleaned and colored by Monday, though that may be easier said than done.

Oh, and if anyone with talent wants to take this and run with it, go right ahead. I'd like to see what could be done at the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Enjoy!
Thats really good actually. I can't wait to see the colored version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)