Borewhal
Narrakota (biased, but eh)
Gnarwhirl
Oraboro
Scarwhal
Knarwhal
Epicentre
Narwall

These would have to be my favorites, for varying reasons, but mostly the simplicity of them (with the exception of my own, which I like because it's mine and because it sounds cool); you don't need to be complex to have an effective name....

How about the name Whalletus? The first half of the name ("Whal") obviously refers to our narwhal here while the second part ("lletus") is an anagram of the word Tellus, a Roman word meaning Earth. This refers to the Ground typing of CAP9 as well as to its Dark typing (Tellus --> Terra --> sub-terranean --> a dark place). So, "A Narwhal of the Earth", basically!

Other than that, I feel the name goes easy on the mouth and is fitting for CAP9. All suggestions are welcome.

How about the name Whalletus? The first half of the name ("Whal") obviously refers to our narwhal here while the second part ("lletus") is an anagram of the word Tellus, a Roman word meaning Earth. This refers to the Ground typing of CAP9 as well as to its Dark typing (Tellus --> Terra --> sub-terranean --> a dark place). So, "A Narwhal of the Earth", basically!

Other than that, I feel the name goes easy on the mouth and is fitting for CAP9. All suggestions are welcome.
It sounds good, but the ending gave me a somewhat disturbing impression before I read word origin. I think it would sound a lot better if you changed one of those last four letters, if you know what I mean. It might just be me, but eh.

Looks like a great start, though.

Okay, pretending like this actually means something, here's my shortlist of interesting names:

Oraboro
Digaia
Torrca
Narwaru
Narrwall
Tectonodon
...and for good meassure, let's throw in Colossoil.

That's all for me. I agree with Plus that many of the names (note I did not say all, I'm not trying to start a war) are hyper-contrived abominations with a million roots from different languages, or a previous submission with one letter changed (i.e. my submission, Narrwall, followed by Narwall, and Narwhal, and Gnarwhal, and Knarwhal, ect.)

Guess I ought to make it official: Narrwall is my final submission.

Man this is such an active thread.

Although a lot of these suggestions sound good, there are only a few that really fit this Pokemon's character. The name should be sounding sinister, mean, and... well, beefy. Here are two names that really stand out to me.

Collosoil is a great name, it sounds impressive and intimidating while at the same time being easy to pronounce and memorable. A lot of the names give the impression that they are trying too hard, but this is just a natural fit.

Terravage struck me as pretty cool. The "terra" in general is a good sound, because it implies so many things relating to this CAP (Terrain, Terror, and at a stretch Tera can also be taken to mean 10^12, which implies size). There are a lot of names using it, but I think Terravage is the best of the bunch.

One thing I've been playing around with is Teranicorn, which is a mesh between Tera and Horn that produces something that sounds vaguely like "Tyranical". Maybe it's too similar to Tyranitar though. Thoughts?

Okay, despite a lack of responce on the name, I'm just gonna make a final submission and be done with it. My Final Submission is Malvolance.

Basically it is the word "malevolence" (because of the Dark typing) slightly altered to get it under 10 letters. An a is also switched with the e near the end to make it "lance", like the drills coming out of the front. Also, I just realised now that it starts with "Mal", which is Spanish for "bad", which helps with the Dark typing...though I didn't really intend it that way.

Off of the topic of my name, Collosoil isn't that bad either. I think the whole "whal" and "terra" sounds on the other names are used too much just for the sake of it, and Collosoil struck me as rolling off the tounge easily with much a much simpler meaning.

Final Submission

Wharbiddon

A couple of plays on words here.

First off, reading it as one full word, it sounds a lot like "Forbidden", which is exactly what secondary moves will be when this guy comes on the field. It is also full of scars and is very warlike in its appearance, thus the prefix "Whar". The "Wha" is of course from Narwhal. "Wharbid" is also a play on "morbid", and "don" has the added effect of making it sound big and imposing.

------------------------------------------

I think any name for this Poke should reflect on its rather aggressive look and imposing stature. It gives off the same feeling as, say the 'Kraken' from Pirates of the Caribbean. When it surfaces, you tend to go, 'ohhhhhh sh**'. As such, I really like the following names:

Collosoil - Very simple, elegant, and extremely fitting for this CAP.
Gnarwhirl - Again, a cool play on words and a fitting name for what this pokemon looks like. A gnarling thing that whirls its horn around.
Tremorgue - Another elegant one which is simple to understand and easy to say.
Cerosand - A sand creature with a single giant horn! It also sounds 'big' when u read it. By 'big' I mean this: "Mudkip" sounds tiny and cute, while "Cerosand" sound like a giant monster.
Oraboro - Cool sounding name! It sounds much nicer when read as 'oh-rah-boh-roh' versus being read as 'oh-rah-buh-roh' (which sounds closer to burrow). CAP9 has an IN YOUR FACE attitude and look, but 'burrow' instead makes it sound like a groundhog. I'm all for "oh-rah-boh-roh"!
Dauntusk - Same as with Tremorgue. Easy to say and understand. Fits well too.

Borderlines for me:

Narbrawl - It's cool, but u rarely think of a badass whale with a huge spike, 133 HP and 122 Atk as something that 'brawls'. It might 'crush' or 'bulldoze' but 'brawl' seems more fitting for something small and aggressive.
Grimmould - Another cool one, but sounds more like a fungus than a large earth whale.
Coalidon - Not bad, but for me, it doesn't fully fit the flavor.

I generally didn't like names ending in 'wal' or 'whal'. They sounded too awkward.

Final Submission

My submission is Terreine.

(Prounounced Tear - Ain)

It can be interpreted on several levels:

Initially there is the play on words: Terrain ~ Terreine
Also a combination of meanings: Terr - Earth/Ground | Eine - French for Whale

Together: Earth Whale.

Terrain Definition: A tract of land, esp. as considered with reference to its natural features, military advantages, etc. (Dictionary.com)
  • He requires a strategic mind to eliminate the secondary: the military advantages.
Unless I get criticisms otherwise, I will consider this my Final Submission.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Update - minor change to the rules, people. Since there has been way too many names I will have to change the rules a bit here. Even if you post a final submission it will not necessarily be included in the poll. I'll have to narrow the names down a bit.

Final Subsimission
seriously doubt im gona think of anything else
Terrakiri
(just sound it out :P)
Terra- earth but can also sound like terror and kiri- japenese for drill kiri also sounds alittle like kill and well it just adds to the coolness
it also sounds like terriyaki, mmmmmnnnn whale terriyaki *licks lips*

Update - minor change to the rules, people. Since there has been way too many names I will have to change the rules a bit here. Even if you post a final submission it will not necessarily be included in the poll. I'll have to narrow the names down a bit.

Sounds fair to be honest. The amount of name suggestions have been ridicusly high this time Oo

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well I'm not a creative pokemon namer, so I'll abandon Drilbit and throw my support for Gnarwhirl, which is way better. It's simple, clever, doesn't look like letter vomit, and doesn't require Wikipedia to understand, all criteria for a really good pokemon name.

I didn't get any response on my submission, so I'm following admiral's lead and withdrawing my entry-Narpitt, and throwing my support behind Mobyss. As a librarian, gotta love the literary reference :) And, truthfully I like it a lot more than my entry anyway.

Final Submission

Eh, I guess I'll just final submission Narbo. Just a corruption of Narwhal. Not much special.
So... Yeah.

We don't really need portmanteaus, half of which with foreign words, again and again for every poll option.
I went for something simple. Just hoping some people like the simple option.
As I recall "Spiffy" made it quite far, so... Eh.

...For some reason it makes me think "military theme".
Is there any word in the back of my head I'm not remembering...?

Edit: Am I thinking of "Armor?" Eh.

Okay throwing out some more ideas before my final submission.

Burrogue
Burrow + Rogue

Seismine/Seismorph/Seismourn/Seismorgue
Seismic + Mine / Seismic + Morph / Seismic + Mourn / Seismic + Morgue

Desolone / Desoland

Desolate + Lone / Desolate + Land

I have my support behind Terravage because that name sounds nasty and this CAP is a nasty beast.

@ killerduck
Thanks for your support! Yes, that is how I've been pronouncing it, I guess I should have made that clear.

Aside from that, two cool names I don't think I've mentioned are Gnarwhirl and Freedrilly. The former because it's a clever play on words as well as the strangeness that is the English language (Silent G), the latter because of fond memories.

My ideas, though advice is appreciated:

Makulas (ma-kuh-las)

Comes from the following words:
Maa (means Earth in Finnish) - Kuro (means Dark in Japanese) - Valas (means Whale in Finnish)

and

Kujorlas (ku-djor-las)
(like in the word "job")

Kuro (means Dark in Japanese) - Jord (means Earth in Norwegian) - Valas (means Whale in Finnish)

Also, Kujo- sounds similar to "good job!" or "G'job", which refers to the fact that he stops the secondary, and does a good job at it.

Final Submission

Undermine

It's a drill Pokemon, so it's associated with mining and drilling into the ground. It also prevents secondary moves from being used, so it undermines them. The name also fits its dark characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)