CAP 9 CAP 9 - Part 12 - Name Poll 2

What should be CAP 9's Name?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

moi said:
Name: Stop the Secondary
Description: A Pokémon that through means of ability, moves, and typing, can stop a variety of the non damaging affect of moves and moves of non damaging origin.

Justification: While the immediate threat of damaging moves is large and present, the affect of moves such as status, Trick, Leech Seed, Taunt, Stealth Rock, Spikes have arguably had a greater affect to the metagame than anything has ever had, something that this would greatly look in to.

Questions to be Answered:
~ How easily would a Pokémon with such large of a niche be able to fit into a competitive team?
~ How large of an impact would the reducation of non damaging affects and moves have on the metagame?
- What, if any, would happen to the types of teams being used?
- How would this affect the usage of these types of moves?​
~ How much of an affect does typing have on the ability for ANY Pokémon to perform this duty?
Typing: Dark/Ground
Ability: Auto-Magic Coat
Ability: Guts
Stat Spread: 133/122/72/71/71/95

We will not allow posts in this topic such as "I voted Name." Put some substance into your post. This means that you need to back up your post with reasoning or you will be infracted.

Vote for CAP 9's name. Here are our choices:

familyguyman said:
Gnarwhirl
ReysonTheNoble said:
Oraboro

Since it got a mention, I'm going with Oraboro as my name. It combines Orca with Burrow to make a badass name. It sounds really nice, isn't too complicated, and fits the art pretty nicely. Since the art has been compared with Dugtrio quite frequently, I think the digging aspect of the CAP shouldn't be ignored, and the burrow part of Oraboro fits that very well.

Pronounced Oh-Ruh-Boh-Roh
franky said:
Colossoil

Colossal + Soil

Basic name, doesn't sound complicated. Colossal to reflect upon its massive HP and big picture. Soil to reflect on its part Ground-typing.

Colossal:
so great in size or force or extent as to elicit awe
Soil:
he part of the earth's surface consisting of humus and disintegrated rock

Sweet I am in the finals!

I still have to vote for my own, since I think it's the most Pokemon-y. Colossoil and Oraboro are cool too, can't really complain, but they seem too "deep" for Pokemon. Can not go wrong here though.

OK, I have a question. How is "Collosoil" pronounced? Is the stress on the second syllable? Or is it "CALL-luh-soyl"?

Anyway, I think either way, I like Gnarwhirl better. To me it makes the pokémon seem more... dynamic. Or something. Not just big.

Nice! Good luck to the 3 finalists, may the best name win.

Voted for my own name. It has the most relevance to the concept, and is a really cool name. We need more pokemon who's names start with vowels!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Col-LOSS-ole

In an effort to not break my own rule:

I voted Colossoil because I love name puns, and it just flows the best out of all of them.

i voted colossoil because the name is amazing, i couldnt ask for a better name, its tought and it flows well, YAH!

Narwhirl- pretty good but i hope collosoil wins

Oraboro- very original but i dont particulary like it, thought i do think more names should begin with vowels (just not CAP9's)

Once again, I don't want one of the endless names that have the words "nar", "whal", or "drill" in them, and I also want a name that is in English so that I can understand how it is relevant to the design, so I will go with Colossoil again.

Oraboro is really the only good choice.

We can have a name that represents oil and sounds like some sort of large facial pustule, or something that is just plain awkward. I also should bring up that neither of those two have anything to do with the Dark part of our wonderful whale.

Still backing Colosoil. As I said in the previous thread Colosoil pretty much fits CAP9 and its concept, along with one of its typing. Other than that its an pretty amazing name, and as Tennis said the pun on it is quite good.

I voted Gnarwhirl. Colossoil just sounded weird because it's an adjective (colossal) being used as a noun. Oraboro just reminds me of ghost types.

Same reasoning for voting Colossoil here. It really does sound good. Besides, I like the word "colossus."

Eggplant: Colossus+Soil, not Colossus+Oil.
I understand the name, it's just that it sounds like oil no matter how you say it, and it still doesn't give a good representation of the Dark part. If it was a Ground or a Ground/Rock, sure, I could see it, but Oraboro is dark too.

i dunno about 'its not big' cause in my head this thing is the size of a snorlax...and with the massive hp and attack to boot so collosoil it is

I don't get why people complain it's not dark enough, it's primary type is Ground. Therefore the name should reflect a ground type.

There is no Flying in "Salamence" or "Scyther", no Psychic in "metagross", no Ground in "Steelix" and no Steel in "Empoleon".

i dunno about 'its not big' cause in my head this thing is the size of a snorlax...and with the massive hp and attack to boot so collosoil it is
Narwhals are about 16 feet and 1.8 tons. It's big.

I don't get why people complain it's not dark enough, it's primary type is Ground. Therefore the name should reflect a ground type.

There is no Flying in "Salamence" or "Scyther", no Psychic in "metagross", no Ground in "Steelix" and no Steel in "Empoleon".
Primary type is Dark. But you are right about names bot having to convey a specific type.

I also should bring up that neither of those two have anything to do with the Dark part of our wonderful whale.
Oraboro is Orca + Burrow, so I don't see where the dark is there either. Regardless, I've never liked it as a name, it just sounds stupid to me and sounds way too much like Ouroboros, which is snake or something...

Anyway, that leaves Gnarwhirl and Colossoil for me. Tough choice, but I went with with Collossoil (I pronounce it Co-lo-soil by the way).

Voted Gnarwhirl - it's simple, sounds like a Pokemon, and represents the fact that CAP9 is a narwhal. However, atm, looks like CAP9 will mostly be known as Collosoil.

I don't know, could be- because of the name "Colossoil" is close to a possible pokemon name?

Gnarl, Pixie? Maybe, this is why I dislike it.

As Thorns said, bashing other names at this point is a fruitless endeavor. These are the finalists, whether you like it or not. If you don't like a name, make it known by simply saying "I don't like this name." Giving a specific reason hardly lends credence to your cause unless it is a very good one. Otherwise, you just sound like a petulant child.

Anyway, I voted for Colossoil. (I'm already catching people spelling this wrong) While it may not be my favorite of all the choices, it does represent this CAP well. It lets you know, in no long winded wording, that this Pokemon is big and will hurt you. It's also a relatively simple concept and that lends it power in my eyes. In Pokemon, hardly any 'mons actually have complicated names. I think the most intensive you will find is things like "Sableye", where Sable is another way of saying black.

Also, I pronounce it "Col-uh-soil." I don't see how people are getting "oil" out of it. I mean, Salamence has "amen" in it, yet you don't make it known over the other letters. If you pronounce it how I do, Soil stands to attention.

I thought Colossoil sounded the most pokemon-y of all the names, with a twist in the name between two words, so I voted for that.

I can see either Gnarwhirl or Colossoil fitting this. I think Gnarwhirl is a much cooler name, and isn't overly Ground-sounding. Colossoil is the winner anyway, but still. I think it's supposed to be pronounced like Colossal with soil at the end, but I'll be pronouncing it with emphasis on the colo. Sounds slightly better to my ears. Still, I'll get used to it, we'll all get used to it, I didn't like Kitsunoh or Cyclohm either but after a while they just stick.

Pretty surprised that Narwhale didn't make it through, as that was garnering a sort of cult following :happybrain:

Honestly can't decide between Gnarwhirl and Colossoil...probably voting Colossoil, if only to keep Oraboro from winning.

Colossoil rolls off the tongue for me. Also my love for Shadows of the Collossus probably coloured my vote as well. All in all though the name is a very minor part of the Pokemon and so long as it's not obviously bad or a joke name it should be fine no matter what's picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)