Catching Up With the Times

Hey there everyone! It's been a while since I posted a random RMT, and that's because I got out of competitive battling for a little while. I recently got back into it again, and since there have been plenty of tier updates lately, I decided to see what I could do with RU. This team has noticeable flaws (i.e. no Water type or Ground type), but it can get the job done in the right situation. Feel free to rate as you see fit!

THE SQUAD:

THE SETS:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Double-Edge
- Stone Edge

Your standard suicide lead Aerodactyl. This guy's role is clear: get up the Stealth Rocks, get down to his Sash, and die. Aerodactyl can usually fill this role pretty well, and I've faced a few teams lacking hazard removal, making his life easier once he gets the Rocks up. Taunt stops opposing leads from setting up hazards or setting up or statusing or whatever else they want to do that isn't attacking. Double-Edge is there as a suicide move once Aero is brought down to his Sash, preventing the use of Rapid Spin or Defog after Aero is brought down to his Sash. Stone Edge is there for STAB that could potentially be helpful if Aero can survive for a hit or two. This set probably gives the feel of hyper offense, and we'll probably see that trend a little bit more later.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic Spikes
- Magic Coat

Specially Defensive Cofagrigus is the only mon on this team whose role isn't offensive. His main job is to cripple the foe, mainly with Will-O-Wisp. Toxic Spikes can fulfill this role too, and it can be handy if the foe has no hazard control and I'm in the mood to hazard stack with Aero's rocks. And if the foe does have Rapid Spin, Cof blocks it and keeps hazards on the field. Shadow Ball is basically there so Cof isn't complete Taunt bait, and it's his best STAB move. Magic Coat is honestly just kind of there, and it can come in handy sometimes, since people generally don't expect to see it, acting as a pseudo-Magic Bounce for Cof.

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

With potential hazard stacking, a spinner was preferred over a Defogger, so I chose an offensive spinner in Reckless Hitmonlee. Hitmonlee is mostly a spinner for Aero, in case I decide to switch him out for whatever reason, and Houndoom, who we'll get to in a few. Other than that, it's a pretty standard Hitmonlee. Reckless Life Orb High Jump Kick destroys everything that doesn't resist it or is immune to it. For those Ghosts that are immune to it, and just to have it in general, we have Knock Off to cripple the foes a bit by removing their items. Mach Punch is there for the priority, which can come in handy against faster foes that have been whittled down.

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Houndoom serves the role of the special sweeper of the squad. If Houndoom can get a Nasty Plot off and hazards are set, things die. I have Flamethrower over Fire Blast because I'm an accuracy snob, although Fire Blast has been more reliable to me lately than it used to be. Someone could probably also find a calc that points out that Flamethrower can potentially miss out on certain KOs that Fire Blast could get, but I digress. Dark Pulse is the secondary STAB move and hits those Psychic and Ghost types hard. I went with HP Grass for the last move mainly for Seismitoad, and sadly, it's my most direct response to it on this team. Other Water types take decent damage from it (except for Qwilfish), but I find myself using the STAB moves more often with this guy.

Druddigon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot

RU's favorite Pokemon, whose mortal enemy is Diancie. While this team is generally pretty offensive, I figured a bulkier attacker or two wouldn't be a bad idea. AV Sheer Force Druddigon can hit pretty hard, and there aren't a lot of mons that appreciate taking an attack from this guy. I went with Dragon Claw over Outrage because I didn't want to be trapped against Fairies if I didn't have to be. Sucker Punch is priority and always fun if the foe is attacking. Fire Punch hits Steel types harder than the rest of his moves, and it gets the Sheer Force Boost. Gunk Shot is there for Fairies not named Diancie, who basically walls this set. Thankfully, the last guy on this team can handle Diancie well if need be.

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Magneton is the other bulkier attacker to round out this squad. I chose to focus on Analytic for this set since I feel like Magneton has decent enough bulk, mostly thanks to the Eviolite, to survive at least a couple hits and retaliate with some big damage. Volt Switch is the main move I like to use on this set since it can build slow momentum. Thunderbolt is a stronger Electric option in case I feel like going more offensive. Flash Cannon is the other STAB move and is my best option against Diancie, should it come to that. And I went with HP Ground over Fire for the last move because I felt that with Houndoom, I had Fire offense covered, while I lacked a Ground move on this team since I don't have EQ on Hitmonlee.

And here's this random RU squad. As always, I'm open to any and all suggestions for how you think this team can improve, so feel free to reply to this thread with whatever you feel fit. Thanks for your time!

THE IMPORTABLE:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 72 HP / 184 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Double-Edge
- Stone Edge

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic Spikes
- Magic Coat

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Druddigon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Punch
- Gunk Shot

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Hey, man. Nice to see you get back into playing competitively and RU is definitely a great tier to play. I like the use of unique Pokemon such as AV Drudd. However, I have some suggestions to improve your team.

The first change I want to address is changing the Stealth Rocker on this team. Aerodactyl can be a very beneficial Pokemon but when it is clear that it is a Stealth Rocker lead, it is very easy to abuse it as the primary hazard removers, Blastoise + Flygon, both have an advantage against it. Blastoise takes very little from it's stabs and can spin on it very easily. Flygon it's stabs and can roost on double edge, to come in later and Defog if taunted. For this reason, I will suggest a better Stealth Rocker that can come in and Stealth Rock more than once, can damage these two hazard removers upon entry, and can act as a check towards the majority of Physical attackers. Rhyperior over Aerodactyl allows for this team to have a more solid Stealth Rocker, while also being able to threaten hazard removal (ice punch for flygon, earthquake for blastoise) upon entry. Rhyperior also acts as constant check towards Pokemon like Fletchinder which can easily wittle Magneton due to it's lack of recovery.

The second Pokemon change I will address is regarding the immediate weakness to Venusaur and Virizion with this team. Cofagrigus can be helpful for this team, however is very passive and a definite momentum drainer. Running Garbador over Cofagrigus ensures a fighting check / virizion check and venusaur check, all of which are essential to this team. Garbador threatens grass Pokemon like Virizion with Gunk Shot, while also having the ability to running Seed Bomb, which addresses an issue in not having that much to hit Seismitoad. Also, Garbador can run Toxic Spikes, which coupled with the wallbreakers on your team, can be very effective. Finally Pain Split allows for to maintain longevity and heal up on Pokemon.

After these Pokemon changes, I have some small but very beneficial changes to move sets. First, HP Grass does not have much of a role on Nasty Plot Houndoom as +2 Dark Pulse hits these water types for a huge amount of damage. Instead I would recommend HP Steel over HP Water on Houndoom in hitting Diancie which is a Pokemon that walls Houndoom's STABS, and +2 HP Steel can be very essential in getting rid of this to clean up. Next, HP ground on Magneton has no real target that flash cannon or electric coverage does not cover. Therefore I would recommend a change of HP Water over HP ground on Magneton. This helps you deal with the issue of Mega Camerupt as most teams do not have a switch in for its dual stab. Also, max HP on Magneton is not advised due to it needing it's speed tier to outspeed threats like Banded Emboar, SPDef Flygon, etc. Having Analytic still means you will be able to force 1.3x damage when a Pokemon switches out.

Speed control may be an issue on this team, having the fastest Pokemon only at a speed tier of 95. A Pokemon to revenge +1 Scrafty, Delphox, Virizion, etc is very necessary as they can mitigate the effectiveness of this team. Therefore finally, I would recommend a choice scarf set on Hitmonlee. Choice Scarf ensures you have a way to revenge kill the Pokemon mentioned above will also being to run a Rapid Spinner which isn't needed that much, but can still come through in a pinch. Choice Scarf Hitmonlee also helps with late game cleaning and provides excellent offensive synergy with Magneton which gets rid of Fairy and Flying types that threaten it.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 186 Def / 40 SpD / 30 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split

HP WATER > HP STEEL ON HOUNDOOM

HP WATER > HP GROUND ON MAGNETON (CHANGE EVS TO 252 SpA / 4 Spe / 4 SpD with TIMID nature)

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Hope I helped with this rate! :toast:

Hey, man. Nice to see you get back into playing competitively and RU is definitely a great tier to play. I like the use of unique Pokemon such as AV Drudd. However, I have some suggestions to improve your team.

The first change I want to address is changing the Stealth Rocker on this team. Aerodactyl can be a very beneficial Pokemon but when it is clear that it is a Stealth Rocker lead, it is very easy to abuse it as the primary hazard removers, Blastoise + Flygon, both have an advantage against it. Blastoise takes very little from it's stabs and can spin on it very easily. Flygon it's stabs and can roost on double edge, to come in later and Defog if taunted. For this reason, I will suggest a better Stealth Rocker that can come in and Stealth Rock more than once, can damage these two hazard removers upon entry, and can act as a check towards the majority of Physical attackers. Rhyperior over Aerodactyl allows for this team to have a more solid Stealth Rocker, while also being able to threaten hazard removal (ice punch for flygon, earthquake for blastoise) upon entry. Rhyperior also acts as constant check towards Pokemon like Fletchinder which can easily wittle Magneton due to it's lack of recovery.

The second Pokemon change I will address is regarding the immediate weakness to Venusaur and Virizion with this team. Cofagrigus can be helpful for this team, however is very passive and a definite momentum drainer. Running Garbador over Cofagrigus ensures a fighting check / virizion check and venusaur check, all of which are essential to this team. Garbador threatens grass Pokemon like Virizion with Gunk Shot, while also having the ability to running Seed Bomb, which addresses an issue in not having that much to hit Seismitoad. Also, Garbador can run Toxic Spikes, which coupled with the wallbreakers on your team, can be very effective. Finally Pain Split allows for to maintain longevity and heal up on Pokemon.

After these Pokemon changes, I have some small but very beneficial changes to move sets. First, HP Grass does not have much of a role on Nasty Plot Houndoom as +2 Dark Pulse hits these water types for a huge amount of damage. Instead I would recommend HP Steel over HP Water on Houndoom in hitting Diancie which is a Pokemon that walls Houndoom's STABS, and +2 HP Steel can be very essential in getting rid of this to clean up. Next, HP ground on Magneton has no real target that flash cannon or electric coverage does not cover. Therefore I would recommend a change of HP Water over HP ground on Magneton. This helps you deal with the issue of Mega Camerupt as most teams do not have a switch in for its dual stab. Also, max HP on Magneton is not advised due to it needing it's speed tier to outspeed threats like Banded Emboar, SPDef Flygon, etc. Having Analytic still means you will be able to force 1.3x damage when a Pokemon switches out.

Speed control may be an issue on this team, having the fastest Pokemon only at a speed tier of 95. A Pokemon to revenge +1 Scrafty, Delphox, Virizion, etc is very necessary as they can mitigate the effectiveness of this team. Therefore finally, I would recommend a choice scarf set on Hitmonlee. Choice Scarf ensures you have a way to revenge kill the Pokemon mentioned above will also being to run a Rapid Spinner which isn't needed that much, but can still come through in a pinch. Choice Scarf Hitmonlee also helps with late game cleaning and provides excellent offensive synergy with Magneton which gets rid of Fairy and Flying types that threaten it.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 186 Def / 40 SpD / 30 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split

HP WATER > HP STEEL ON HOUNDOOM

HP WATER > HP GROUND ON MAGNETON (CHANGE EVS TO 252 SpA / 4 Spe / 4 SpD with TIMID nature)

Hitmonlee (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Hope I helped with this rate! :toast:
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I've tried the team out with the changes you've suggested, albeit with mixed results. While Rhyperior and Garbodor have been good additions to the team, they both have a weakness to Ground, which would give me 4 Ground-weak Pokemon in total now. Rhyperior also shares Houndoom and Magneton's Fighting weakness, and Medicham can pretty much body the team after Rocks. I may not be using some of them just right, but I very much appreciate your suggestions!

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I've tried the team out with the changes you've suggested, albeit with mixed results. While Rhyperior and Garbodor have been good additions to the team, they both have a weakness to Ground, which would give me 4 Ground-weak Pokemon in total now. Rhyperior also shares Houndoom and Magneton's Fighting weakness, and Medicham can pretty much body the team after Rocks. I may not be using some of them just right, but I very much appreciate your suggestions!

Addressing the problem with ground weakness you could possibly run a Weezing over Garbador, as it has the ability levitate. Weezing still checks Virizion + Venusaur while acting as a pokemon that gets up toxic spikes. Weezing can also deal with fighting types with the addition of having will-o-wisp as a move, as most of them are physical attackers, although you do miss out on a toxic spike absorber unfortunately. I'll leave the set below.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split
- Toxic Spikes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)