chain challenge

so i was playing my copy of soul silver one day and i came up with a really fun challenge. pardon me if this has been done before.

the rules are you start out with one type and any other pokemon in you're party must share at least one type with one another, you may witch out pokemon at any time as long as it doesn't break the chain

for example
i started with a furret
i caught a fearow (shares furret's normal)
i caught a girafarig (shares fearow's and furret's normal)
i caught an exxecute (shares girafarig's psychic)
i caught a gyarados (shares fearow's flying type)

say in the future i wanted an urasing, i could switch that furret with urasing.

the other rules:
you may play on any version of the game, or on any version rom (just no rom hacks)
no cheating of any kind
no legendarys
no trading (even to get eggs)
no hm slaves(*)
use all youre pokemon (this is not a monorun)

*i dont know if this rule is good or not, as this challenge is new.

have fun

I think he meant that just to be an example. I think I'll try this on either Platinum or Leaf Green, but due to the fact that my Nuzlock and Scramble Challenges failed, I'm not sure I'll complete this one.

Hmm...the main rule of the challenge is that every Pokemon you obtain has to share a type with the last one obtained, right? If so, a couple of questions:

-Does evolution count as obtaining a new monster? For example, say I have a Chimchar in Diamond, and since there are no Fire-types available before Oreburgh, I decide to evolve it into a Monferno to stand a chance vs. Roark. Am I now entitled to catch a Machop?

-Do in-game trades have to follow the "chain" rule? One example would be in Gold: I start with a Chikorita, catch a Bellsprout in the Sprout Tower, and trade it away for an Onix. Is this a legal trade, and if so, does the next Pokemon I obtain have to share a type with Onix, since it's my most recent acquisition?

Hmm...the main rule of the challenge is that every Pokemon you obtain has to share a type with the last one obtained, right? If so, a couple of questions:

-Does evolution count as obtaining a new monster? For example, say I have a Chimchar in Diamond, and since there are no Fire-types available before Oreburgh, I decide to evolve it into a Monferno to stand a chance vs. Roark. Am I now entitled to catch a Machop?

-Do in-game trades have to follow the "chain" rule? One example would be in Gold: I start with a Chikorita, catch a Bellsprout in the Sprout Tower, and trade it away for an Onix. Is this a legal trade, and if so, does the next Pokemon I obtain have to share a type with Onix, since it's my most recent acquisition?
I think, the first one, yes.
The second one... You mean trading with an NPC, which does not involve another machine/gamecard,etc . I think so as well.

Hmm...the main rule of the challenge is that every Pokemon you obtain has to share a type with the last one obtained, right?
Looks to me that it's actually just about what pokemon are in your party - every pokemon in your party must share at least one type with at least one other pokemon in your party.

Here are the rules I used.
- Chain must be a complete cycle. So, if I started with Treecko, my party will have 3 grasses!
- No resetting for natures.
- No legendaries.
- No trading, except to evolve
- No HM slaves
- All Pokemon must be caught in that game.

Off to a slow start. Rather busy, but anyway. I chose Mudkip. I started with Naive Mudkip, probably the worst nature you can ever get for it. Did the usual stuff at the start...met with Noman...babysat Wally..etc. After that I caught a Lotad, which had a Quirky nature. I saved outside Rustboro, haven't challenged Roxanne yet. Will continue when time permits it.

the chain doesnt have to continue from the last pokemon you caught, just ones in youre party

you can catch all the pokemon you want, for example i caught a furret than a ekans, but the ekans was immediately boxed.

also the op[ was basically me just thinking aloud so this can be a community challenge! i was thinking if you had a team like this nrm nrm/fly grs/fly grs/fgt psy/fgt and you wanted poison you could take out the grass fighting type and replace it with a grass poison type, but in doing this you would be breaking the chain so in order to keep the chain intact you would also have to change the psy/fgt pokemon.

so far in this challenge i have experienced team changes often, and radical ones, at that.

if you want to do the challenge post what type is the base link and in each concurrent update, post what the current link is.

now someone post so i can start my story :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)