Challenge Accepted

Hello my smogonites. Im here with my first non-weather team in BW2. I have always considered the weather wars to be a pain in the freaking butt. So i love teams that don't use weather to function but i have yet to make an actual decent non-weather team until now. Most of the non-weather teams i build just flat out suck and end up losing all of the first twenty battles. (I give each team twenty battles to see how each team does). This current team has currently won 18/20 battles losing only to a ditto copy sweep, and one guy who had such unique movesets that i didnt even think id see. So with this team currently being my best non-weather team i thought id leave it to my fellow smogonites to help me work out the bugs in the team. So without further ado the team:

The Idea (Team Building Process)

I started out wanting a basic counter for the most common weather types and started with sand. Terrakion chews up tyranitar, and will provide stoutland with some problems as well. He also makes a great revenge killer for the teams that don't use sand and was a good solid fit for the team.

Now for the oh-so common rain teams. In BW2 those teams lead the parade in pain in the butt teams. Thundurus-T covers many counters for rain teams. The only one uncovered is opposing thundurus-T who don't take to kindly to a rock slide from terrakion.

Holy cow this guy is amazing. He can switch in, get a boost from download, and have great coverage. I don't see why he isn't used on rain teams more often.

Next i added Jirachi as a backup for genesect. With genesect as the main attacker i needed someone else to be able to go in and take those dragon, fighting, ice, and rock attacks. Jirachi was my guy.

Next i added kingdra to provide some extra power on the physical attacks and as an extra rain counter just in case those pesky rain teams were too much for poor thundurus-T to handle.

With the main team itself finished i needed a guy to provide the extra attack and be a decent lead. Smeargle is exremely underrated in the OU community. He isn't perfect in no regard but he gets the job done and does the job well.

Changes in RED

Time to Paint the Picture (The Team)

Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Baton Pass
- Magic Coat
- Shell Smash
- Spore

Well this guy is my lead and he knows how to do his job. He spores an opponent gets a shell smash in (gets multiple in if they leave the sleeper in and smeargle outsped him on the spore in the first turn) and either A. Taunts if they switched to someone like skarmory who can whirlwind/roar or B. Baton passes the boosts onto either jirachi, kingdra, or genesect. I don't use him as a lead on guys who have prankster, other than that i usually use this guy as a lead to get the boosts and hope for a quick sweep by genesect, jirachi, or kingdra. He does struggle with priority users though and so i am looking for a solution to that if anyone can find an answer please let me know.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Terrakion provides the role of being a revenge killer and a counter to anything rock, dark, steel, etc. Choice scarf allows him to be faster then anything without a scarf and a ton of things with a scarf. X-scissor is the only move i am doubtful in this moveset cause it doesn't really get used as often as the other moves. So im open to suggestions on that fix or possible another set if its a good one. Great at finishing off those low health pokes who just killed another one of my guys. This guy struggles badly with things like scarf rotom, and scarf politoed and im sure you all can understand why. Any help with this problem is appreciated.

Thundurus (Thundurus-T) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Thundurus-T is my main counter to rain teams. He has grass knot for those gastrodon, and rotom-Ws, and thunderbolt/Volt-switch for anything else. Focus blast is there for rock and steels who try to KO but are slower then him. I am a little hesitant about the moveset because i normally run hidden power ice on him but this set still works decently enough but im completely open to changes on this guy as well as the others. Struggles with things like latios, and scarfed pokemon so i could use a little help with that as well as the moveset.

Kingdra (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Att, -SAtk)

- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Rest

This guy is one of the main stars on the team. So many people see something like this and instantly try to get a status condition on him. However, that just makes em set up fodder for me. He gets a quick dragon dance up then has great coverage with waterfall and outrage. Facade is mostly just there as a filler in case they do manage to get a status condition on him but i really want to change it because more times then not outrage or waterfall will do more damage. Lum berry allows him to setup on things like blissey and such who try to inflict status conditions only to get wrecked by the setup. This guy really only struggles if i miscall a switch. I switch him to setup on someone like ferrothorn and they switch to latios in the same turn he ends up gettin in some trouble then but other then that he doesn't struggle much.

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Trait: Download
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- U-Turn

Now im going to be completely honest. this guy is an insane beast. He can hit everything for atleast neutral damage (i believe. if you think of something he hits thats less then neutral please let me know) He can switch in and if you switch in right then you will end up with a guy with 300 speed, over 500 special attack, perfect coverage, 284 hp, 226 defense and special defense, and the beautiful typing of a scizor. This guy in every aspect is a beast and is a perfect fit for a lot of teams. This guy is awesome he doesn't really struggle with anything. If it is a scarfed fire type he just switches out until the problem is taken care of. Plus if the opposing team is a sun team he usually has boosts to help him out as well. It also doesn't hurt that he resists about half of the priority moves and the other half only does neautral damage.

Jirachi @Leftovers
Serene Grace
252 HP, 224 SpDef, 32 Spe
Careful (+SpDef, -SpA)
-Iron Head
-Body Slam
-Wish
-Stealth Rock

This jirachi set works well with the team much better. It provides stealth rock support which in todays metagame is almost necessary in every team. He has body slam and iron head for paraflinch while although cheap is a very effective moveset for jirachi. Also with wish he allows some easy healing for himself and the other guys on the team. He provides a lot of important roles on this team and provides enough support in enough areas to be here on this team. Credit to mupa97 for the suggestion

Importable
Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Baton Pass
- Taunt
- Shell Smash
- Spore

Thundurus (Thundurus-T) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Kingdra (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Facade

Genesect @ Leftovers
Trait: Download
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Jirachi @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
- Flash Cannon
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Please no rude comments and thanks for the rate in advance.

I don't get your Jirachi, at all. Why use that thing when you can use stuff like Latios which does the job that you're making Jirachi do much much better. Jirachi is fairly important for your team though, since you don't have much to take on opposing Latios. I recommend a switch in the Jirachi set to a Specially Defensive variant, especially considering you completely lack Stealth Rocks.

Jirachi @Leftovers
Serene Grace
252 HP, 224 SpDef, 32 Spe
Careful (+SpDef, -SpA)
-Iron Head
-Body Slam
-Wish
-Stealth Rock

I don't see why you're not using Choice Specs on Thundurus, or an Agility set. Thundurus is just too slow and you're going to either have to jump around with Choice Specs, patch up your speed with Scarf, or run Agility on it.

Why run Adamant on Terrakion which prevents you from revenge killing key opponents like Volcarona and Salamence, not to mention being outsped by opposing Terrakion and not being able to outspeed things like Modest Venusaur and Adamant Stoutland in their respective weathers. Switch to Jolly on Terrakion.

Facade sucks on Kingdra. Outrage does more damage (180 base power with STAB) and Waterfall comes close with 120 base power after STAB. And when you're statused, you're either super slow with Paralysis which cripples you to a point that you can't outspeed anything, or burned which halfs your attack anyways so Facade's power boost isn't worth it. Only if you're Toxiced is when it actually comes into play. And Facade is incredibly redundant along with the Dragon typing Kingdra has. There's no merit in using Facade what so ever.

And run Timid on Genesect, or run U-turn on it over Flamethrower so you can preserve momentum better.

On Genesect instead of the Leftovers I would suggest running an Expert Belt. Choice Scarf Genesect is very common among the Genesect that are running around OU, and with Expert Belt combined with Genesect's great coverage it can very easily gain surprise kills on many Pokemon. I don't see Leftovers helping it out that much anyway personally and can see it getting much better use out of it instead of Expert Belt.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi,

this team looks pretty solid. It's been a long time since I've seen SmashPass, and yours looks really sturdy. I've got a few minute changes that should help you:

To prevent Smeargle from being Taunted, I suggest you use Magic Coat instead of Taunt. This reflects hazards from Ferrothorn, Whirlwind from Skarmory, and Taunt from Sableye. It's especially useful against hazard setters, because your team has no hazards, bar the possibility of SR on Jirachi (just use Mupa97's spread for Jirachi, and you'll do just fine.) Also being able to Taunt Sableye just rocks.

Kingdra should not be using Facade- you've got a Lum Berry, so the chances that you'll be statused are slim. Using Rest and a Chesto Berry is probably a better idea; so you can set up and then erase the status before you sweep. Using a spread of 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SpD / 164 Spe Adamant is also recommended, so you have the bulk to take hits as you set up, but also the power to deal hefty damage. Speed isn't really an issue; not only are you increasing your speed everytime you boost but with Swift Swim and the prevalence of Drizzle you will outspeed a lot of opponents anyway.

I also think it's a great idea to give Genesect Expert Belt instead of leties so you can hit Politoed hard. U-Turn should be used over Bug Buzz with a spread of 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Naive so you can hit the blobs really hard. With U-Turn, Genesect can also act as a pivot- switching to Kingdra / Thundy / Terrakion when you want to sweep.

Cool team! Good luck!

Made changes on the team.

New changes include:
-New jirachi set
-Changes in kingdras set
-Changes in genesects set
-Changes in smeargles set
-Changes in terrakions set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)