Comix

Glen please help this thread deliver.

Discuss and recommend comics itt - here are some of my favorites:

The Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis/Greg Hurwitz

Now, the basis for the Punisher is pretty simple - he is a vigilante who believes in "an eye for an eye". He just goes around killing all kinds of criminals. Now, Garth Ennis transformed what we knew as the Punisher into something extreme. Starting in 2004, The Punisher was launched under the 'Marvel MAX' imprint, which means it contains mature content. What Ennis did was take the original Punisher, put him in a completely different universe (he's in the same 'universe' as all the Marvel characters, they simply don't appear in this book (with the sole exception of Nick Fury)) and took the basic formula to new levels. He turned the Punisher believable and more realistic, to a certain extent. The writing is gritty, dark, and absolutely delicious. The art varies a bit, but there's only one single issue where I found I can complain about it - it's mostly spectacular. The characters are well-structured, and you'll be seeing familiar faces along the main run. Definitely worth reading if you enjoy this kind of stuff, unless the gore bothers you too much (this book is full of it). Garth Ennis left the book by issue #60 (which was very recent, it is at like #62 now), I'm hoping Hurwitz will be as good as him. Have a snippet of one of my favorite moments from the first arc:

Out of Punisher there was a particular character who was so popular he was given a mini-series...
Punisher presents: Barracuda MAX by Garth Ennis
Barracuda is a mercenary which first appeared in a Punisher arc, but was such a likeable character he got his own mini-series consisting of 5 issues. Barracuda himself was based on the song Stagger Lee, particularly the Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds version, which in turn was based on a REAL man, worth checking out wikipedia and listening to the song if you enjoy this character. Which you will. This guy is a fucking BEAST. There's no way I can describe him accurately, so I will just shamelessly steal from wikipedia. "He is a mercenary gangster of great physical strength, endurance and fighting ability. He shows an incredible sense of optimism and "glass half full" thinking (even maintaining a cheerful attitude as the Punisher cut off all the fingers on his right hand), profane humor, and a tendency to betray anyone if he can benefit from it. He also has a liking for pancakes."
You can pretty much expect a book full of this:

By now you have probably noticed my huge mancrush on Garth Ennis. I won't get too far on it, since it's pretty well-known, but Preacher is the pinnacle of his work and is a must read for everyone. Now with that out of the way...

Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan

This is a 60-issues series regarding the last man on Earth. Simple as that. Something, presumed to be a plague, kills off all the men in the world, and young Yorick Brown is possibly the last hope for menkind. I'm sorry, that was a bad pun. This book is fantastic in the sense that you can pretty much accurately see how a world without men would turn out, and also because it chains you in a very strong way to the characters. This was the only comic book so far that has made me genuinely sad. I won't spoil anything, let's just say some scenes are heart-breaking. This is fairly recent, but I would have no problems at all in depicting it as a classic already. a must-read as well.
(Here is a snippet - too big for this page, but a funny moment taken from the second issue).

Uhhh so there are a lot of classics but I didn't mention any of those because pretty much everyone has read them. Sin City, Return of the Dark Knight, both by Frank Miller, Watchmen of course, and I have also heard great, great things about Sandman but I haven't read that yet. There are also quite a handful of excellent Batman comics that will appease any Dark Knight fan but I will leave those for later.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not a huge comic book fan, never read much comics; but occasionally I feel like I should just give some a shot to see what it's like. I feel like a bit of a dork reading them though :( so good comic book recs would be a good idea (and keep in mind I'm Dutch so suggestions on where to get them; what program to use would be excellent.)

No manga I know people that can rec me all japanese manga within 20 secs.

Like I said before (in my thread on this same page) I really liked Watchmen a whole lot. However, another comic series I really liked was Marvel Zombies. The concept is totally lame: a few of the marvel heroes get infected with a virus and eat every living thing on the planet, or so they think. There is one small group of people left trying to fight them off. It's really brutal, has a lot of blood and gore, violence, and just touches on some pretty grim stuff... like they keep a man alive on an operating table so he can be eaten as needed.

Not anywhere's near as good as the Watchmen, but good nonetheless. My roommate Bob has a whole pile of comics I need to get around to reading. Some of them are very lame, like the origins of the green lanturn; for some reason he can't use his power on anything YELLOW... ?_?

Ive been getting into Deadpool and Cable recently, It has some good action, a decent plot but is lol-riffic. Ultimate X-Men is the first series I started following, I didnt want to get into the original series since theres been so many issues and stuff that I dont have the time/money to get into.

don't even get me started about Deadpool, everything that comes out of his mouth is hilarious!

I forgot all about Deadpool, I should have mentioned him.

Im definetly going to, Ive been trying to find some sort of Collection Volume or something to no avail.. I just picked up Deadpool Classic (New Mutants #98, Circle Chase, Sins of the past, Deadpool #1) but trying to buy different issues off of ebay would be excedingly tedius.

this thread needs more punisher

anyone who enjoys the max series should try getting the marvel knights miniseries and some of the other max one shots (force of nature, the cage)

@Skiddle: The Yellow Fear Anomaly is a pretty basic part of Green Lantern's character afaik, so it shouldn't be anything new ?_?

Batman R.I.P. and Green Lantern: The Blackest Night are pretty good runs for D.C. now. Their current Mega-Big Crossover Event thing is Final Crisis or something (I've lost track of whichever Crisis it is) which I heard is ok.

Also Ultimate Marvel used to be good but it's a shitfest now (ULTIMATUM LOL). Secret Wars or whatever the hell it is is gay (EVERYONE IS A SKRULL. INCLUDING HAZERIDER.) I honestly cannot remember what's good for Marvel atm so :|

The Ultimate universe was really good before Loeb and his cronies came aroud and turned everything into a 616 shitfest, really. Even Ultimate Fantastic 4 was entertaining at some point. ;(

I'm going to dedicate a page later to Mark Millar though, he has lots of stuff that people need to read ASAP.

I read Y: The Last Man due to this thread. It was awesome.

I am pretty sure anyone interested enough to click on this thread already knows this, but Watchmen and Sandman are the best comics.

Ok now that my internet is being less gay I'll try writing up a proper post. No excerpts because this is some shitty laptop and I have no comics here. These are my main recommendations:

Preacher - Also written by Garth Ennis, this comic book's main character is a preacher (!) who basically gains some sort of Godlike power. The whole series revolves around him trying to find God (who fled to some unknown place after learning of this power) and everyone else trying to kill him. It's one of my favourite comic series, although some story arcs appear too fillerish the main plot is awesome and at some times it can get quite funny. Other worthy characters include a redneck with superhuman strength, an Irish... thing, a deformed Nirvana fan, and a super rich guy who has a fetish for everything.

Deadpool/Cable and Deadpool - For anyone who enjoys Marvel comics the slightest bit, this is a must. Deadpool is one of the incredibly few "nonsense" comic book characters who manages to be funny while at the same time not jumping the shark or being ridiculously cheesy (granted, with some exceptions). Both series feature a lot of cameos from other Marvel characters and even some important stories to the Marvel universe as a whole. Also there is a superhumanly strong guy called Francis. If you like this, I suggest you check out the Agent X and Taskmaster miniseries.

Punisher MAX - This has already been mentioned, in the first post no less, but I have to mention it myself because it's awesome enough to deserve it. If you're one of those people who always thought the Punisher was silly in a universe where everyone and their mother has super powers, this one is for you. There are no dumb gadgets or purple armoured aliens who eat planets here; this is a regular world where people don't have powers, some guy's family gets killed, he goes crazy and kills everyone. Like all Garth Ennis comics, it has its fair share of black humour but at the same time the story can get quite complex (or as complex as possible in a comic where the main character does nothing but kill) and every relevant character is a major asshole, and you just know they'll all end up dead in the end. You just don't know how.

Ultimate X-Men/Spider-Man - As any Marvel fan would know, the Ultimate Universe is basically the good old Marvel Universe, except reimagined in present days. We get to see everyone's origin all over again (with some twists, in some cases very big ones), Peter Parker's still 15 here, and also he doesn't wear a goddamn tie to school anymore, X-Men is not all about I'LL SAY PROFESSOR X, IT DOES SEEM SOME PLACE IN AMERICA IS BEING INVADED BY MUTANTS WHO CLAIM TO BE EVIL FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER, LET'S SAVE HUMANITY SO THE WORLD CAN HATE US, and overall there's a ton of less old fashioned and farfetched versions of Marvel Universe characters, which is probably my favourite thing about the Ultimate Universe: finding out how Ultimate versions of cool characters turn out. Overall this is MUCH better than the shitfest the regular Marvel Universe is nowadays, although more recent issues seem to imply it's going down the drain as well due to some Ultimatum crossover thing.

Welp, don't really read comic books anymore (pretty expensive hobby over here), but when I did, this is what I liked:

Gonna second Y: the Last Man. Ex Machina, by Vaughan, is also good (not AS good).

Dark Knight Returns is great. Dark Knight Strikes Back is debatably great (nothing else by Frank Miller though, except maybe his run on Daredevil)

The Brian Bendis run on Daredevil is seriously fantastic. It shows you what a superhero comic can be if you put it in the hands of somebody who can competently write likeable, interesting characters.

Grant Morrison is pretty good - his New X-Men is a lot of fun. Also his All-Star Superman.

Definitely read Astonishing X-Men, for as long as Joss Whedon was writing it was the best thing Marvel was putting out. Basically the X-Men behaving like actual adults (still saving the world from evil robots, though)

Ultimate Spider-Man is totally awesome, right up until shortly after Bendis gets offered like ten books and takes them all

But that's still like a hundred issues of quality! Ultimate Peter Parker is so well-done. He's got that goofy wit and neuroses the character needs, but it's not hammed-up, he feels real and likeable. Bendis has (or used to have) this wonderful ability to handle a massive cast of characters and make the reader feel like they know every single one, even if they only appear on one page. Ultimate Spidey has that superhero quality that makes comic books fun - the villains are guys with robot arms and pet sharks and stuff - but instead of being laughable, they are genuinely scary. Ultimate Doc Ock is amazing.

The Ultimates was fantastic for its entire Mark Millar run. Lots of conjecture about how superheroes would affect the real world - pretty cynical take on the media, celebrities, technology - all framed with some nicely-done characters. Ultimate Tony Stark is especially great (gets better if you read Orson Scott Card's Ultimate Iron Man miniseries).

Ultimate X-Men had a lot of the same nice ideas when Millar was writing it, but for some reason he didn't write character in this book? Everybody is the same tough, sarcastic, snappy action-hero with like, one superficial trait or event in their history that stands in for actual characterization. I liked this book back when I bought comics, but then I saw a draft script of the first issue by Bendis, and saw what could have been

Regardless of whether it is good or not, Robert Kirkman comes along after a while and ruins the whole thing in about five issues so that's that

The Bendis, Ellis and some of the Millar arcs of Ultimate Fantastic Four are good, if you find yourself enjoying the rest of the Ultimate stuff, check them out

Man, I'll try to think of some non-superhero stuff. Surely I didn't waste this much time reading nothing but men in tights

Dark Knight Returns is great. Dark Knight Strikes Back is debatably great (nothing else by Frank Miller though, except maybe his run on Daredevil)
Did you not like the Sin City books or 300? I know that most recent Frank Miller novels have been horrible (Batman All-Stars) but Sin City is by far one of my favorite comic series ever.
Maybe you didn't like the B&W setting of Sin City? I know lots of people got turned off by that.

Now I'm gonna suggest some stuff by Mark Millar, who I feel is brilliant writer:

Ultimates (volume 1 and 2 for the love of god don't bother with volume 3)

Ultimates takes the classic Avengers and re-creates them into more modern and believable characters (this is the Ultimate universe, after all) (which also means all characters are flaming assholes). Captain America can't adjust to the 21st century, the Hulk is completely fucking insane and Nick Fury is black and tired of these motherfucking skrulls on this motherfucking planet (he's based on Samuel L. Jackson). This book makes an amazing job of making us believe on superheroes and real life, with celebrity cameos and mentions, (as far as comics go) believable explanations for 'super-powers' and character interaction. It has a lot of fucking hilarious moments (including a scene where a beaten-up and desperate Captain America shouts the most hilarious thing ever), lots of good fighting and good dialogue. Enjoy classic super-heroes? Get this book. Don't enjoy old-fashioned thighs and wacky powers? Get it anyway, because it will blow your fucking mind. Also:

HULK STRAIGHT!
PS.: If you enjoy this book and don't want to tarnish your vision of the Ultimates team, don't pick up Ultimates Volume 3, by Jeph Loeb. Seriously, just stay in sweet blissful ignorance.

Kick-Ass
Now this book is very recent, it has like 6 issues so far and it's still coming out. However, the sheer popularity of it is so big there's already a movie in the making. The story is simplistic; it is set in a world much like ours, with no super-heroes except in comic books. However, this one kid who enjoys comics, thinks "why hasn't anyone put on a cape or a suit and went to fight crime?", so with NO training whatsoever, he orders a suit from eBay and goes off like a goddamn vigilante, destroying crime and evil.
As expected, he gets his ass kicked. However the comic has only started to develop, and it has a buttload of potential, so I'm suggesting you pick up the first 4 issues and enjoy them before it transforms into a monster (I have faith on this one). The story may come off much like a teenage fantasy coming true, but Mark Millar manages to turn that around and make it believable. Excerpt:

Fuck yeah.

Wanted
Have you seen the movie? Well this is nothing like it. It's once again one book that seems pretty juvenile, but it's very fun. The premise is that the world, previously filled with super-heroes, is now being controlled by an organization compromised of all the super-villains in existence, who even went to the trouble of erasing people's minds (so they forget about super-humans in general) and who control the world from behind the scenes. Wesley Gibson was, in his own words, "the most insignificant asshole of the 21st century". However, this was all before he found out his late father belonged to the evil organization, and the story is all about Wesley turning into a motherfucking asshole.
One of the most thing in this book is that it constantly references the Marvel and DC universes. The villains are a mix of, say, Batman's villains, or Superman's villains or whatever. It's fun trying to get who is based on who.
If you want righteousness and justice, don't pick up this book. If you want something to make you think and wonder, don't pick up this book. If you want to have some fun and let out a few laughs? Get it. Lots of fun dialogue and fights.

I'm a huge comic fan as well. I mostly read Marvel, although my brother has Watchmen and he loved it so I will probably read that at some point. I don't have too many new comics but I do enjoy reading some of the collections of classics. I can't really choose a favorite series but I really enjoy the X-Men and Spider-Man. Oh and I haven't read much of the Ultimates so I can't really comment on that but I did get a good laugh out of the phrase "Loeb and his cronies".

Kick-Ass
Now this book is very recent, it has like 6 issues so far and it's still coming out. However, the sheer popularity of it is so big there's already a movie in the making. The story is simplistic; it is set in a world much like ours, with no super-heroes except in comic books. However, this one kid who enjoys comics, thinks "why hasn't anyone put on a cape or a suit and went to fight crime?", so with NO training whatsoever, he orders a suit from eBay and goes off like a goddamn vigilante, destroying crime and evil.
As expected, he gets his ass kicked. However the comic has only started to develop, and it has a buttload of potential, so I'm suggesting you pick up the first 4 issues and enjoy them before it transforms into a monster (I have faith on this one). The story may come off much like a teenage fantasy coming true, but Mark Millar manages to turn that around and make it believable. Excerpt:

Fuck yeah.
I haven't really been into comics, but hearing about this one piqued my interest...the plot sounds cool as hell. I also always liked the Spider-Man/Peter Parker character, anyone reccommend a certain run of Spider-Man comics for me to check for?

I do have this one random copy of Fantastic Four though, which was released in Nov. 1986:

Did you not like the Sin City books or 300? I know that most recent Frank Miller novels have been horrible (Batman All-Stars) but Sin City is by far one of my favorite comic series ever.
Maybe you didn't like the B&W setting of Sin City? I know lots of people got turned off by that.
oh no, i love the art. it's just ol Frank does this thing where he writes exactly the same character/story every time and you only really need to read one of his books to appreciate it

that Kick-Ass thing you talked about sounds pretty good! is it out in trade paperback yet?

TBH I didnt like the art in 300..Im a good little fanboy and love the movie though.

Anyone else hear that Ultimate X-Men is getting the axe in febuary(Fantastic 4 as well, but who cares?), issue 100 I believe? I hope the volume for it comes out soon after because Ive had Vol. 19 for ages.

that Kick-Ass thing you talked about sounds pretty good! is it out in trade paperback yet?
As I've said, only 4 issues so far have been published and the come out in big bursts. If you search for "kick-ass" in the Marvel Catalog you'll see the latest issue (#4) came out on August 27 and the next one is coming out on December 10. That sucks, but I really enjoy the 4 issues so far and I think this will be a very entertaining story by the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)