SM UU DarkSpam v2.0 ft. Honchkrow | #10

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

DarkSpam v2.0

Hey people on earth! In the early days of Gen 7 UU I made a DarkSpam RMT featuring Mega Absol and friends. At its time, the team was pretty successful but as time went, the team became less viable because of new threats that entered the metagame.
Since always I loved using Honchkrow and in my opinion, it is a really overlooked Pokémon. It has two good STAB moves, priority, a really high attack stat and unique movepool. So, I decided I want to build a team around it and the result is pretty successful.
I present you - a revised DarkSpam team I have worked on and would love to share, with a bit fancier presentation than the former DarkSpam team.
Without further ado, let's begin.
//

Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
  • Brave Bird is the move you will be using at most. Its Honchkrow's most powerful STAB and hits like a truck.
  • Sucker Punch is used against faster checks such as Keldeo and Infernape, weakening them for Bisharp and Scizor.
  • Pursuit hits opposing weakened Pokémon that attempt to switch out so you don't get your Moxie boost / Superpower mainly hits Empoleon.
  • Icy Wind hits Gliscor for super effective damage and allows you to lower the speed of faster Honchkrow switch-ins so you could pick them up with a strong Brave Bird / Heat Wave mainly hits Scizor.
Honchkrow is the Pokémon the team is built around. While its late-game cleaning abilities are superior to other dark types such as Mega Sharpedo, its early-game wallbreaking power is huge. It is so strong it can 2HKO Hippowdon after one Stealth Rock switch-in with Brave Bird. Knowing that, I picked Honchkrow as the first wallbreaker of the team, as it has common checks with common offensive dark types and it gives them an easier time cleaning.
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 239-282 (60.6 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Hippowdon: 200-238 (47.6 - 56.6%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 172-203 (53.5 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 203-239 (63.2 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 129-152 (39.9 - 47%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

//

Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

• Swords Dance is your way of breaking teams. Bisharp's typing and acceptable bulk allows you to set it up at least once on every game.
    • Iron Head is Bisharp's tool of hitting fairies for super effective damage. It allows it to break the Fairy types which most of my team members struggle against.
    • Knock Off is your primary move. It is really powerful and is your main way of damaging the opponent's team.
    • Sucker Punch is used to hit faster checks such as Infernape and Keldeo.
Bisharp is the first set-up sweeper of the team. Unlike most dark types, it has the tools to hit Fairies, one of the two types that Dark type struggle against at most, for great damage It has an amazing offensive synergy with its fellow Honchkrow. Both Bisharp and Honchkrow lure the same checks, making them a really good pair.

//

Ability: Speed Boost -> Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature

• Protect is mandatory on every Sharpedo as it gives you an auto speed boost.
    • Crunch is Sharpedo's main move. It is powerful as hell - a decent 80 BP, further boosted by STAB bonus and Strong Jaw.
    • Waterfall is Sharpedo's way of hitting threats such as Mega Aerodactyl for super effective damage. It is also pretty powerful thanks to the STAB bonus it gets and has a 20% of flinching your opponent.
    • Psychic Fangs is Sharpedo's secondary move. Even though it's not a STAB move, it has a higher BP than Waterfall has and is boosted by Strong Jaw, which gives it a pseudo STAB boost.

Mega Sharpedo is the team's main late-game cleaner. Its typing, coverage and abilities make it a really threatening cleaner. It also appreciates the removal of Dark checks that Honchkrow and Bisharp provide.

//
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature

• Swords Dance is Scizor's main way of damaging the opponents team, but it can still do pretty well even without one.
    • Bullet Punch is your primary move. A priority that is further boosted by STAB bonus and Technician, has a high PP and is really spammable.
    • Bug Bite hits Pokémon that resist Bullet Punch such as Mega Blastoise. Note that after a Swords Dance and prior damage, Scizor is able to kill even resisted foes with Bullet Punch.
    • Superpower hits what Bullet Punch and Bug Bite don't, mainly steel types.

Even though Scizor is not a Dark type, it has an amazing synergy with Dark types, as all share similar switch-ins such as Keldeo and Infernape. Scizor is the team's secondary set-up sweeper and secondary late-game cleaner. It is so powerful it can destroy several teams by its own.

//

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

• Draco Meteor is Latias' most powerful attack. It has an amazing 130 BP which is further boosted by STAB bonus. Use it with caution, as it lowers your special attack by two stages and allows some set-up sweepers to set-up.
    • Psyshock is Latias' way of hitting Keldeo, Clefable (forcing it to heal) and such.
    • Hidden Power [Fire] a great Scizor lure. I wanted a Scizor lure so Sharpedo has an easier type cleaning late-game.
    • Recover is for longevity, as this team really needs a Keldeo switch-in.

As you can see, Latias is the only special attacker on the team. I had to pick up a special attacker and Latias was the best option I could pick, I feel. Dark spam teams really need a Keldeo switch-in, as they are so weak to it. Not only that it helps with Keldeo, it also lures Scizor, another Pokémon that Dark spam teams are weak to and nukes it with Hidden Power [Fire] and is a strong wallbreaker in general with two great STAB boosted moves.

//

Ability: Levitate
EVs:
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature

• Stealth Rock is the main purpose of this Pokémon. Just get it up and explode.
    • Taunt prevents slower hazards setters from getting up hazards on your side. It may also help against set-up sweepers trying to set-up on Azelf.
    • Magic Coat is explained here / Flamethrower mainly hits steel types.
    • Explosion to gain momentum and deal damage, even if you explode against immunes.

I don't think there's much to say here. Azelf is the suicide lead of choice in the team. We all know what it does because it's basically everywhere - it gets up Stealth Rock and dies. Use Jolly nature with Magic Coat and Naive nature with Flamethrower.
That's it for the team!

Here are the team's main threats that are on the top of my mind:
- it is really bulky and can OHKO Bisharp and Mega Sharpedo, two important team members with Mach Punch. It could be played around though.
- it has an amazing coverage that threats most of my team - Fire Fang for Scizor, Earthquake for Bisharp and its two STAB moves hit the rest of the team really hard.
- stall is a really hard playstyle to play against. Honchkrow is able to demolish stall but it just dies too quickly after taking all the recoil.

Proof of Peak

Importable

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-560639937
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-560244888
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-559981896
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-559971486
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-559956676
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-559940348

Thanks a lot for reading, I really appreciate it! Feel free to use the team - it's really fun!

Last edited:

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey mate, loving the dark spam team you have here. I've actually played this team a couple of times on the ladder, and I feel there's a few things that could certainly help it.

->

Celebi is also a very good Keldeo check, although it's not faster it's able to switch in on most of it's moves and threaten a set up of its own, or you could go the other route, and opt to use Celebi as a form of speed control. There are two options that I could see being quite effective for you; that is NP Celebi with HP Fire, or Scarf Celebi with Healing Wish. NP Celebi offers you another breaker outside of your Dark Spam core; and Scarf Celebi gives you a form of Speed control, out side of Sharpedo, as well as Healing Wish, granting you another opportunity to sweep. As you can see from the following replay; if NP Celebi were used over Latias, I would have had a much harder time: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-562951739

:
-->

Seeing as you're currently not utilising a z-crystal I feel like running flyinium-z is the perfect option on Honchkrow. Here you have the option of running two different moves. z-Bravebird, which is an impressive nuke that will assist you in breaking walls late game or z-Mirror Move, which is essentially a Swords Dance boost with the added benefit of copying the last move your opponent used.
252+ Atk Honchkrow Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 291-343 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Hippowdon: 307-363 (73 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 244 HP / 12 Def Gliscor: 342-403 (97.1 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Honchkrow Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raikou: 210-247 (65.4 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 133-157 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Nasty Plot

or

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Honchkrow @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Mirror Move
- Pursuit
Feel free to PM me should you have any questions/concerns regarding these changes, happy to help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)