Devil May Cry 4 Discussion

To celebrate the removal of my "I could be banned!" status, I'm making the thread that I've desired to here most of all- Devil May Cry! Second only to the Fire Emblem series in my top favourites, I'm completely and totally in love with Devil May Cry and all of its games (save 2, which everyone knows was an embarrassment). I wanted to see if anyone else shared my love for the series and the next installment, Devil May Cry 4.

For those that don't know Devil May Cry 4 (and the series in general) is a stylish action/platform game, along the lines of Ninja Gaiden, God of War and Heavenly Sword, but in a more gothic setting. The story follows the life of Dante, a half-demon whose father Sparta rebelled against demonkind to save humanity. Personally I find its combat system to be the deepest among these games, as the entire point of the game is to kill demons as stylishly and free-form as possible using a variety of weapons, not the least of which Dante's trademark sword and handguns (Rebellion and Ebony&Ivory, respectively).

The game's coming out for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, and there've been a lot of released trailers for it, the most recent at TGS. The combat is looking as stylish and incredible as ever, and this game in general really makes me with I had enough cash to invest in a PS3.

Just to break things up a bit, here's the main website:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil4/main.html

It's mainly in Japanese but if you click on "movies" in the bottom right, and then select the TGS trailer (since it's HD you should pause and let it load before watching) you can see how the game is shaping up.

Again, for those that don't know so the only major things worth mentioning is that in this game the story revolves around Nero, an ordinary person with a cursed demon arm that attracts demons. He and his main lady Kyrie are part of the "Order of the Sword", a cult that worships Dante's father Sparta.

The bodacious babes Lady and Trish are also making a stellar comeback! Big news.

So, is anyone else as pumped for Devil May Cry 4 as I am?

I'd like to pose a question here; I played until like the second level of Devil May Cry 3 and I found it sorta tiring because, well, enemies kept appearing and your choice of moves in the beginning isn't exactly big... and I watched that trailer and that looks really nice, but what I mean to ask is: is the whole game like what I played? A closed 'arena' where monsters keep popping out for you to defeat?

I'd like to pose a question here; I played until like the second level of Devil May Cry 3 and I found it sorta tiring because, well, enemies kept appearing and your choice of moves in the beginning isn't exactly big... and I watched that trailer and that looks really nice, but what I mean to ask is: is the whole game like what I played? A closed 'arena' where monsters keep popping out for you to defeat?
It's sort of like that. The game IS based around stylish comboing, and the second level is the purest example of the game in general. The thing is, DMC 3 did a much worse job with mission layouts- in DMC1 you were in a castle that had plenty of interesting places to fight... not so much in DMC 3, so I understand where you're coming from with it getting slightly tiring since it's just killing things over and over. Eventually new and interesting stuff pops up (hope you don't hate spiders...).

And yeah, starting from scratch is bullshit for any DMC game. Movement is limited (as compared to tricked-out), moves feels sluggish etc... if you REALLY hate it in DMC 3 keep on redoing mission 2 and get lots of orbs, so you're tricked out from the get-go. Also make sure to upgrade Ebony and Ivory once too.

Anyways as the game progresses it incorperates some mundane puzzles and a bit of platforming, but the best part is getting new weapons. After any boss fight that has a personality you'll usually get a fucking kick-ass weapon, which provides almost endless possibilities for comboing.

Hopefully this is enough to get you motivated to play, the DMC 4 creators are saying 3 is a good to have played before this one since the style/combo system is a more polished version from 3's.

if I ever pick up a PS3 or 360 Ill probably pick it up. Playing through the third right now but havent had much time to play it through yet. The first was awesome.. I must have played through it 3 or more times. Its seriously one of those games on the PS2 that I remember to be one of the best games ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)