Dogs and Cats and Parakeets and Marmots and any other fucking pet you may have in thi

What's it like to have a chicken as a pet? Do they bond well with humans like parrots and cockateils do? Also how the hell do you have so many animals?
Oh honestly the real issue isn't how he has so many pets (also I suspect that the chickens pay for themselves). Its how he can tell the difference between his pets.

What's it like to have a chicken as a pet? Do they bond well with humans like parrots and cockateils do? Also how the hell do you have so many animals?
I don't think they can bond as well as parrots can, since chickens aren't as smart, or as social (but they're still smarter than people give them credit for). They do appreciate what you do for them though. When I go into the yard, the males start crowing, and get happy. They don't cuddle with you like a dog or cat might, but they are a little more responsive than a turtle or something of the sort that always has very little to no reaction to you.
I've loved animals since I was a child, My dad is from a really rural place in Mexico, so he was born on a farm where livestock and other animals were needed to live so he's pretty fond of them also.
Oh honestly the real issue isn't how he has so many pets (also I suspect that the chickens pay for themselves). Its how he can tell the difference between his pets.
It's very easy for me to tell the difference between all my animals, especially the chickens. The males are more drastically colored than the females, so I never confuse any that I own, or have owned in the past. I might confuse some of the hens, but I'm pretty sure I'd get 90% right at least lol.

i have two cats two dogs a dwarf hamster a syrian hamster three degus and we just got two ferrets.

have you seen the video of the chicken who fetches and wears little shirts

So I just got a dog the other day. It's a white german shepherd which was promptly named Phantom. The problem is, this is my first time caring for a dog, or a pet for that matter. My brother in-law knows quite a bit about dogs but I want to be more knowledgeable because in the end I'm responsible for him. I would like advice on how to feed, groom, and everything else. I even want to know the very basics. He's still 60 days old so he's a puppy with all the energy that comes with being one. He's living in our garden, in which we have built a dog house for him.(large enough for another dog as we're hoping to get a female as well)

If there's anything you need to know to help, you're more than welcome to ask.
I only skimmed the thread so apologies if any of this is redundant. Also, I'm a first time dog owner as well, so don't take any of this as the end all be all of dog advice. I've done a lot of research (talked to trainers, vets, other owners, read books and internet stuff), but I'm still learning too.

As far as feeding, give him whatever amount is listed on the package of dog food you purchase. Give him two meals a day; half the food in the morning, half in the evening. He should be calm and wait politely for you to put down the bowl and give him permission to start eating. Give him 15 minutes to eat, then pick up the bowl. Make sure you can take the bowl away from him at any time... you don't want him to get in the habit of guarding his food. He should have access to fresh water all day.

I can't help with housebreaking... I adopted a 5-6 year old rescue mutt and (remarkably) he was already perfectly housebroken. He also doesn't really chew on things so I can't help with that much either.

From what I understand, German Shepherds shed a lot... so I guess brush regularly if you don't want that all over the house?

I think often German Shepherds are mouthy and have an instinct to protect, so you'll want to deal with that before it gets out of hand. Make sure he gets lots of exercise (take him for walks, don't just leave him in the yard no matter how big and assume that's enough) and keep lots of toys or other things that it is good for him to chew on.

Basically, he's a puppy, so you really can mold him to be the type of dog you want him to be if you're active in training him early on. Perhaps see if there are puppy classes offered near you? That would help with structure and give you resources for good advice.

Oh, and the reason why I wanted to post in this thread in the first place... MAKE SURE TO NEUTER/SPAY YOUR PETS.

Don't contribute to the pet overpopulation issue... be informed! If you are considering getting a pet, consider adopting an animal from a shelter or rescue group. My dog is a perfect match for me and he's a rescue. If you must get a puppy/kitten, make sure you're getting it from a good breeder for your sake and for its sake as well. Pet stores often carry animals from puppy mills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_mill); these animals may be the result of careless breeding and thus more susceptible to disease. Also, just don't support people doing that to the parent animals please.

tl;dr version

- Spay/neuter your pets!
- Consider adopting a rescue (my rescue dog is awesome)
- Make sure you know where your pet comes from... don't support puppy mills

Sorry to be naggy... I care about animals, and I want people to be informed pet owners.

this is my kitty! she's a Korat mix, her mom was purebred but she got out and fucked a stray tom and had the cutest litter ever and i got one ^__^ she's a couple months shy of a year now i think, her birthday is in april or may or something.

her full name is becquerel (bek-kur-el) after the SI unit of radioactivity and the freaky dog from homestuck of the same name, but my roommate and i just call her bec for short. she's super sweet but bipolar as fuck, she fits right in at home and i love her!

i put the collar back on her and man that shit's annoying

when something freaks her out she goes into full on 'tear everything apart' mode. it's not just once a day, it's six or seven times a day; she's never really calm apart from the days where nothing happens and i just stay in bed with her

also she has a really horrible habit of climbing up our door frames and this happened:

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Alright, I got two dogs. Well, one, the others is my sister.

This one's mine. His name is Patrick, I believe he's a Min Pin, but he's a bit big for one(not fat).
(i love when he does this face when i scratch him)

Here's my sister's dog, Dolce, a mix breed of a Shih tzu and a Maltese.

I also got a Robo Hamster, her name is Sandy.

Now these are my dads. He has a lovebird named Kiki, a male, who has had 3 mates. They've all escaped the cage, but they usually bothered him. He doesn't appear to be depressed or anything, in fact, he really loves when people pick him up. Her neck appears to be sort of bald from him plucking his feathers, but we don't see anything too seriously. We're sort of low on money, but we're going to take him to the vet soon.

And this is my dad's work of art. It's a large cage with Cockatiels and Budgies. They have their own cages, but they don't seem to fight eachother.

Not a dog, a cat or a parrot - but I do have a couple of birds. My first ever pet is still alive... ten and a half years old my little canary is still here...

But I also fly birds of prey, and I have an eagle-owl living with me too. He's going to be two years old at the end of May and I've had him since he was an egg...

This is a picture flying him last winter...

This is my dog, her name's Lola and she's currently 2 years old.

Loves killing lizards and other reptiles, don't think she likes me too much.

It's pretty easy really, he lives in the shed at the bottom of my garden. I adapted the shed to him - took the windows out and meshed them over, put perches in there... he's pretty happy in there. I just have to make sure his anklets and jesses are in decent condition, and he doesn't get ill really...

I worked at the local falconry centre so I have flown all kinds of things really. Perhaps most impressive was the Chilean Eagle they had there:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne..._425121375947_557135947_5338167_5712928_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...179500948_557135947_11052930_1889715174_n.jpg

I've got a degree in Psychology though and am most interested in animal training... so the best part for me was teaching my owl how to fly and teaching him to fly back to me and understand my hand signals... For my first bird, I've done a really good job with him - although I was taught by a real master myself.

this is my dad's ferret and her name is mudge

my weaselchild, called Garfield. 50 points for name origin

my baby degu called cardboard. he's cute but super awake all the time.

my fatty chillax degu. his name is Boxwood and he was my first pet after a long break and he's basically a cat but in the shape of a potato

Hathor is my girlie so she gets another cage. the last of three old sisters. ):

obligatory fatty. this is Squeak

his sister named Chocolate

we also have a syrian hamster, a dwarf hamster, and two dogs (jack russell and a beagle)

might be adopting some more ferrets eventually because you can never have enough meat slinkies

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi this is my new white tree frog jamal

I also have 3 fire belly toads that i cant get a decent picture of and my russian dwarf hamster daisy.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i just got them like a month ago from my cousin since he wasn't taking care of them. FB toads are cool but you can't really handle them at all because of their toxins. :(

I have a purebred, longhair chihuahua that thinks that she is a Pitbull >.>

I also have a Lab puppy that thinks that he is a Chihuahua <,<

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a cat that has a messed up ear that my sister feels the need to torment. Its still cute and cuddly (most of the time) though!

The pics are a bit big:

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know if it is possible to potty train birds?

I recently finished coaxing my pet parakeet out of her cage, but my parents aren't pleased with the idea of her flying around the house and shitting everywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)