DP Phione

Dive, Protect, Substitute, Water Pulse and Swagger can all be used in conjunction with Toxic for stalling and general annoyance.
Besides Protect and maybe Substitute I'd say those are not worth it at all.

Mention that Acid Armor, unlike Charm, no longer helps when Phione switches out.

Shedinja does in fact "resist" Return/Waterfall, it will just die to a lot of other things so "besides Shedinja" is probably more in place.

but if you want to pump some EVs into the Speed stat in hope of outracing other Pokémon then feel free.
This goes for any Pokemon, so specific targets would be more helpful.

Lapras can do damage with moves like Thunderbolt, or stat up with Dragon Dance if Phione doesn't pack Grass Knot, so differs from the aforementioned Water types due to this.
This might technically be correct but I don't find it a pretty sentence anyway.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I'll rid of those "Other Options". (Dive, Water Pulse and Swagger).

I was going to list Shedinja, but the Smogon Tiers listed it as BL, unless it is meant to be UU? It was a bit of a surprise to me but I just went with what the Tiers said. Though I could just list the 3 resists anyway, Dialga, Empoleon and Shedinja, then say you shouldn't be facing them with Phione anyway. If Shedinja is UU, then I'll be adding Toxic as an option on the Choice Specs set. I'll await the 100% confrimation of Shedinja before I edit. Since it effects 3 sections of the analysis.

I'll list some magic numbers for Speed.

Yeah, I was having trouble wording that part about Lapras, any suggestions are welcome but that's the best I could come up with lol.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Any word on this yet then? I've made the changes I can without having to know if I should include Shedinja.

The Lapras comment is open for change as well if someone can come up with a better way to word it.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
When you realise that most of the Pokémon who can take Surf under the rain detest Toxic, it stands out as a really useful option, as the only real threats to the Surf + Toxic combo Vileplume, Muk and possibly Clefable.
Should be:

When you realise that most of the Pokémon who can take Surf under the rain detest Toxic, it stands out as a really useful option, as the only real threats to the Surf + Toxic combo are Vileplume, Muk and possibly Clefable.

When you realise that most of the Pokémon who can take Surf under the rain detest Toxic, it stands out as a really useful option, as the only real threats to the Surf + Toxic combo Vileplume, Muk and possibly Clefable. Phione can then stall down opponents with Hydration and Rest the majority of the time.
Toxicroak walls the fuck out of Surf + Toxic, and loves showering in the rain. It needs mention.

Iv'e been using this spec'd.

Modest 152 HP 50 df/sp.df 252 sp.atk
Specs
Grass Knot
Surf
IceBeam
HP electric 70
I'm thinking of changing to 252 hp or speed/ 252 sp.atk/ 6 hp or speed
grass/water/ice has great coverage, while electric/ice has its fair coverage.
EDIT: Uhh. Sorry this was already mentioned. But I still perfer hp electric over u-turn.

Havak

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/phione

Hydrator Set Comments

When you realize that most of the Pokémon who can take Surf under the rain detest Toxic, it stands out as a really useful option, as the only real threats to the Surf + Toxic combo are Vileplume, Victreebel, Qwilfish, Muk, Magic Guard Clefable and Dry Skin Toxicroak, who also heals each turn in the rain. Phione can then stall down opponents with Hydration and Rest the majority of the time.
Thought it would be best to note Magic Guard on Clefable, and note Dry Skin Toxicroak as it is immune Surf+Toxic, and heals in the rain every turn (as said by Jiggy-Ninja). Also added the missed out "are" thanks to Lee spotting it.

Other Options

Charm can be used to lower the Attack of incoming threats such as Muk and Toxicroak, Acid Armor has a similar effect but isn't helping you once you switch Phione out. Protect and Substitute can be used in conjunction with Toxic for stalling and general annoyance.
Removed Water Pulse, Dive and Swagger, as they suck too much. Added more about Acid Armor.

EVs

Phione will want a Modest nature and max Special Attack if you’re hoping to do any damage with special moves. Maxing HP is generally advised as well, but if you want to pump some EVs into the Speed stat in hope of outracing other Pokémon then feel free. 246 is a good stat to hit, beating most Altaria before a Dragon Dance, most Choice Specs Grumpig and most none Choice Scarfed Hitmonchan. Other than that, you're best off going for max Speed to at least tie with Shiftry, Glalie, Kabutops and any other Base 80 Pokémon using max Speed, along with anything with a lower Base Speed that isn't using a boosting nature or a Choice Scarf. If you’re more of a defensive player, using a Bold nature and Defense EVs can work to a degree, but you won’t be doing a lot of damage with your attacks, so it’s advised that you opt for Toxic on a more defensive Phione.
I was told to list some decent Speed numbers to hit, so I think that will do.

Counters

Toxicroak has the luxury of resisting almost every attack Phione can throw at it providing it has the Dry Skin ability, as it can heal HP from Surf and Rain Dance.
Finally, the main UU Special Walls, Hypno and Grumpig will be taking little damage from even Choice Specs or Rain Dance Surf. Grumpig will be able to utilize Calm Mind rather easily, and then finish off Phione with STAB Psychic. Hypno may struggle if it’s not running Calm Mind or Nasty Plot itself, due to Phione's being able to stall Hypno out of Seismic Tosses. Both Hypno and Grumpig will want to stay clear of Toxic, though

Again, I feel it might be best to mention the other healing aspects of Dry Skin. Removed the "Ice Beam isn't doing much to Toxicroak either since I feel it's pointless to say having read it a few times now. Not sure if Hypno and Grumpig were left off on purpose, but I'd still keep that bit, or something similar.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
this post is for jrrrrrrr's and Aldaron's purposes...

phione peer edit made and on site so this topic has served its purpose, delete

also maybe I didn't get something but why is Phione Specs spelled "Phioce Specs" on the site ?__?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)