ORAS OU End of an Era: Lets Just Live

How do you feel about ORAS coming to an end?

• Finally! Hated this meta

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • No, too many poorly executed nerfs.

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Mixed Feelings. Sun & Moon is the last Pokemon game I'll probably own.

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters
Hi guys, Sablenite (BryantN) here, and with ORAS coming to an end, I decided to bring you all my favorite team. This was made a long time ago back in the Hoopa-U meta, and still proves relevant. So many things are changing so lets enjoy this while we can.

Here's some music:​

So I added the M.Alt+ Exca core, because it was a nice bulky support with a spinner that helped against steel types.

Talonflame looked like a problem so I added Rotom-Wash. Then, I added Tornadus-T because I wanted a special tank that could blanket check the meta, and more importantly Gengar. It also has some nice synergy forming that Volt-Turn core.

I was weak to Manaphy. Sub-Seed Serperior was an obvious choice, and it helps me to break stall.

I was stupidly weak to Weavile, and could use another answer to Bisharp and Scizor. So here is my physically defensive Infernape.

Vengeance (Altaria) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 240 HP / 104 Def / 12 SpD / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Dance

So let's just start with a shout out to FlamingVictini, who made in impressive guide to semistall. I'm using his spread, as it out runs the base 110s after a single Dragon Dance. 12 SpD Allows it to check MegazardY, with the rest thrown into defense. Heal Bell because this team doesn't like scald, and Rotom-Wash is running rest to keep healthy enough to repetitively check Talonflame.

Change (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 184 HP / 104 Atk / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

So here's my spinner, as letting Altaria take 25% every time it switched in (pre-mega) seemed like a great idea. Dual STABs are manditory, and toxic to hit any switch ins, including the pesky Sableyes trying to spin-block. RIP. Anyhow the HP lets it take 2 Hyper Vices from M. Garde, and 2 Ice Punches from Megagross. 220 speed for M. Zam, and the 104 to OHKO it.

Solidous (Serperior) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Serperior is my Manaphy check. Not really much to explain. Click Leech Seed and spam sub until it can clean up with Leaf Storm. Hidden Power [Fire] hits Grass types. 56 HP keeps Rotom-W from breaking its substitute apparently, but probably more relevant, lives a LO Starmie's Ice Beam and A modest M. Gardevoir's Hyper Voice most of the time.

Cleanse (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Team's answer to Talonflame. 56 speed out runs max speed, adamant Tyranitar. Rest to keep it consistently healthy, because Pain Split just wouldn't cut it. Standard dual STABs with Volt Switch providing momentum, Hydro keeping you from being walled, and Will-O-Wisp to cripple most physical attackers.

Distracted (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- U-turn

AV Torn-T. Checks the Eon Twins, rounds off the Volt-Turn, and provides an answer to Gengar. 160 in SpA to KO Keldeo. Heat Wave hits Ferrothorn/Skarmory/Scizor. Knock Off provides utility as always. Running Timid here as I don't need the damage output from Hasty.

Pyre (Infernape) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 212 HP / 244 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Low Kick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

My Stealth Rocker. Counters Weavile and Bisharp, Will-O-Wisp to cripple most physical attackers. Speed creeps Bisharp, with an extra 4 EVs so I outran Tankchomp so I could burn it. Max defense lets it check M. Lopunny.

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 212 HP / 244+ Def Infernape: 61-73 (17.6 - 21%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 212 HP / 244+ Def Infernape: 198-234 (57.2 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk burned Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 212 HP / 244+ Def Infernape: 99-117 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 97.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery​
Vengeance (Altaria) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 240 HP / 104 Def / 12 SpD / 152 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Dance

Change (Excadrill) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Solidous (Serperior) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Cleanse (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Distracted (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Pyre (Infernape) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 212 HP / 244 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Low Kick
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Hey there, this is a pretty solid team you have got there, i really like the use of Infernape in this team because it covers so much threats that would otherwise shit on your team, however i have a small change that would in my opinion make your team better overall without hitting your synergy.

First i can notice a pretty big weakness against Metagross-Mega, indeed it can pretty much 2HKO most of your team (as Rotom-W doesn't have leftovers) with the right coverage and can almost come in against anything bar Rotom-W, even though you might be able to pivot around him it still would be in the favour of your opponent as it means you're going to weaken most of your team in order to check only one pokemon. I can't really suggest to swap a pokemon as it would hurt your defensive synergy way too much but i do think you can adapt your team. I'd suggest Bulky Scarf Excadrill instead of your current bulky variant as it would make your team better against fast threats such as Metagross-Mega, Alakazam-Mega, Diancie-Mega and Gardevoir-Mega while still checking Clefable and Latios / Latias in general, it is true that he might not have that beautiful staying power but it shouldn't be that much of a problem with momentum. 220 Speed is enough to creep Alakazam-Mega while 186hp allows you to live 2 Hyper Voice from Gardevoir and 2 Ice Punch from Metagross, 104 Atk allows you to OHKO Alakazam-Mega after Stealth Rock most of the time.

I hope I helped and good luck with your team. :toast:

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic / Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Really cool team, a couple of lesser seen mons that are really clever picks for defensive synergy. I agree with Leftiez suggestion for improving the matchup vs Megagross, but I have one other change that is partially just me being ocd lol.

Sub seed Serp should run 52 Sp def, over the HP investment. This maintains the quality of unbroken Subs vs Rotom-W, but also guarantees you live Modest Hyper Voice from Mega Gardevoir. It also maximizes efficiency of Leech Seed, making it easier to cycle through Sub/Seed vs mons with lower HP stats that you need to put in range of Leaf Storm, such as Latios. You also get 4 EVs to spare for Sp Att, making your Leaf Storms hit like a truck :D

Hey there, this is a pretty solid team you have got there, i really like the use of Infernape in this team because it covers so much threats that would otherwise shit on your team, however i have a small change that would in my opinion make your team better overall without hitting your synergy.

First i can notice a pretty big weakness against Metagross-Mega, indeed it can pretty much 2HKO most of your team (as Rotom-W doesn't have leftovers) with the right coverage and can almost come in against anything bar Rotom-W, even though you might be able to pivot around him it still would be in the favour of your opponent as it means you're going to weaken most of your team in order to check only one pokemon. I can't really suggest to swap a pokemon as it would hurt your defensive synergy way too much but i do think you can adapt your team. I'd suggest Bulky Scarf Excadrill instead of your current bulky variant as it would make your team better against fast threats such as Metagross-Mega, Alakazam-Mega, Diancie-Mega and Gardevoir-Mega while still checking Clefable and Latios / Latias in general, it is true that he might not have that beautiful staying power but it shouldn't be that much of a problem with momentum. 220 Speed is enough to creep Alakazam-Mega while 186hp allows you to live 2 Hyper Voice from Gardevoir and 2 Ice Punch from Metagross, 104 Atk allows you to OHKO Alakazam-Mega after Stealth Rock most of the time.

I hope I helped and good luck with your team. :toast:

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic / Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Thanks for taking the time to test this and come up with this custom spread! I like how it alleviates the Gardevoir/Diancie problem, even if Clefable is a bit more of an issue (Serperior can generally break that anyhow). The loss of longevity isn't overly problematic, and it now beats Dugtrio.

OP now reflected to update this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)