Favorite Genre of Music?

I like what has been described as "mid-2000's rock". Namely Punk Rock and Post Grunge, so bands like Green Day, All Time Low, 3 Doors Down, Daughtry, and Hoobastank.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
HEAVY MOTHERFUCKING METAL!

Especially thrash metal, particularly Metallica's old stuff (I still like their non-St Anger new stuff though) and Slayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6_zsJ8KPP0

ANGEL OF DEEEEEEEEAAAATHHHHH!!!!!!

Well, other than metal, rock, hard rock, and SOME alt rock (not the biggest fan), I love this genre that you may have heard of if you watch Initial D..... Eurobeat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU

I can't help but to like songs like this.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rhythmic, orchestral pieces (which may be colloquially be termed 'epic')--that consists of soundtracks from video games, films, and E.S. Posthumus.

I like anything as long as it has a catchy beat and minimal dirty language. (Top Artists: Taylor Swift, Maroon5, John Denver)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
If there is not as much profanity in a song as the Angry Video Game Nerd uses in a single episode, it cannot be defined as heavy dirty language.

Anyway, anyone here like Symphonic metal? I don't expect a very strong following for metal on this forum, but I've been a fan of bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation after hearing some of their songs back in 2009. I guess girls aren't just good for boobies!

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
eh, not to big on symphonic metal, but occasionally I'll listen to it. I mostly listen to proggy stuff, with some doom, thrash, and black metal thrown in. And a bit of classical music.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
obviously i'm wont to say shoegaze, since many of my favorite bands come from there (jesus and mary chain, slowdive, ride, and, of course, my bloody valentine). loveless is as close to perfection as music goes, i guess. but i mean outside of a few stellar releases, it's not a huge genre. sure, the sound bleeds over into various genres of metal and alternative rock, but pure shoegaze is hard to come by.

that's why i'd probably go with punk/post-punk. there's just SO MANY good to great releases. some of my favorite bands are wipers, gang of four, wire, joy division, buzzcocks, the fall, talking heads, feelies, reatards, the homosexuals, husker du, pere ubu, the replacements, this heat, blah blah blah i could go on.

genre often crosses over with the "new wave" scene (feelies, pretenders, talking heads etc), which is also great. a lot of those bands have a very "paranoid" sound, which i suppose to be a sign of the early-80s times, very tense era, untrusting.

and not to mention that the DIY work ethic, stripped down music, and many other aspects cross over into other bands that may not necessarily be punk. most of alt rock was founded on the roots that it lay -- the great punk bands are very historically relevant. you think we'd have the pixies without joy division and talking heads? and you think we'd have nirvana without the pixies? and you think... ... ...

BUT beyond historical relevance and ethics and whatever else that goes into music that is not the music, punk is just raw, ineffably cool, and unpretentiously good. and that's what makes it great.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
anime/drama music. I just feel that having a connection through media I enjoy makes the song more enjoyable (meaningful?). There's a stronger connection than I get from songs that are just songs anyway.

One Piece's "We Go" made me cry first time I saw/listened to it.

All sorts of stuff.

J-Dilla, Dinosaur Jr., Misfits, Big L, The Antlers, LCD Soundsystem, Bloc Party, The Submarines, Tapes N' Tapes, Elzhi, Husker Du, Minor Threat, Say Anything, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Blu, Wilco, Japandroids, Kitten, Cro-mags, The Libertines, The National, TV On the Radio, the Scientists, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The Growlers, Beach House, Tame Impala, 7 Seconds, Band of Horses, The xx, Eyedea & Abilities, Adolescents, My Bloody Valentine, Born Ruffians, The Cure, Bruce Springsteen, Crystal Castles, Leftover Crack, Morning Benders, the Drums, A Tribe Called Quest, Spoon, the Blow, Phoenix, Talib Kweli, Slow Club, the Knife, La Sera, New Order, The Toadies, 2Pac, etc.

There's way too much music out there to limit yourself. The only genres I haven't really gone out of my way to appreciate are D-beat or country outside of Johnny Cash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)