Feeling Overwhelmed

Ever since Red and Blue, I've bought all the Pokemon games when they've come out. I'd play through the game, battle my friends a little bit, and then put it away. But I recently found out about the more serious Pokemon battling community and I thought it would be a lot of fun. So I went and bought HG and started playing through it this week, hoping to get into the scene.

Now that I've actually found a resource (Smogon) that's as in-depth as I want to be, I don't know where to begin. How should I be playing the in-game? Should I go ahead and EV train every Pokemon I capture?

tl;dr -- Familiar with Pokemon, want to play competitively, where do I start?

Thanks so much!

Ever since Red and Blue, I've bought all the Pokemon games when they've come out. I'd play through the game, battle my friends a little bit, and then put it away. But I recently found out about the more serious Pokemon battling community and I thought it would be a lot of fun. So I went and bought HG and started playing through it this week, hoping to get into the scene.

Now that I've actually found a resource (Smogon) that's as in-depth as I want to be, I don't know where to begin. How should I be playing the in-game? Should I go ahead and EV train every Pokemon I capture?

tl;dr -- Familiar with Pokemon, want to play competitively, where do I start?

Thanks so much!
Battle a little with a team you think is effective on Smogon University's PO server. After a while you'll understand what you need to do to improve (like learning how to EV train, create your strategys, etc.).

It was how I started and it worked out.

But next time you want to ask this type of questions, use this thread.

Welcome to Smogon and good luck!

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
My advice: Don't worry about EVing out while playing through the game. The balanced EVs you get as you go will go a long way against the in-game NPCs.

HGSS also has the advantage of not being required to capture your version's mascot. You can KO them, and then after you defeat the Elite Four they will respawn, allowing another chance to capture.

Until you're actually ready to start battling competitively, there's no need to stress over the advanced things.

Thank you so much. It's tough to know how much you're gonna get smacked around by the pros when you admit your ignorance.
Yes, you will lose a lot of times against those pros. But when you win against a famous player, I guarantee it will make up for that.

My advice: Don't worry about EVing out while playing through the game. The balanced EVs you get as you go will go a long way against the in-game NPCs.

HGSS also has the advantage of not being required to capture your version's mascot. You can KO them, and then after you defeat the Elite Four they will respawn, allowing another chance to capture.

Until you're actually ready to start battling competitively, there's no need to stress over the advanced things.
Music to my ears. That takes a lot of stress off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)