VGC First shot at VGC 17 teambuilding

Hey everyone, so i decided to give VGC 17 a shot, i love how diverse it is and how basically almost every pokemon is usable if played properly. Now when i set out to make this team i knew i wanted to start out with a hail user, i first looked at ninetails but me being one of those that sometimes likes to go for the less used, chose Vanilluxe as my hail setter instead and kind of just went from there trying to cover the weaknesses and addressing the common threats now that the meta has stabilized more or less. Been playing a lot on showdown, and so far in my opinion the team has worked decently well, with losses mainly to blame on my inexperience on decision making and strategies, but that will improve slowly. Please give any criticism or advice, im still trying to learn so anything is helpful, now the team:

Vanilluxe @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Level: 50
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
Timid Nature w/scarf to outspeed almost everything when not in tailwind, outspeeds koko and thanks to the 20 hp and 12 spD is 2HKO by life orb koko. So far that ive notived, ive only been outsped by scarf lele, and drifblim's i believe. Enough spA to OHKO even Av chomp. Taunt is fpr tailwind/TR users case i think i can't take them out or whatnot with pheromosa or other.

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 164 SpA / 44 SpD / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Hydro Pump
Pretty standard fini specs set. Seemed like a good fit to counter potential fire pokemon such as arcanine and talonflames. Enough spA to OHKO marowaks and koko's with wither hydro pump or muddy water. Defensive evs to live a kartana leaf blade as well as koko LO thunderbolt in ET. Fini's also a mid tier speed pokemon so with TR so prevalent, trying to have a mix of speeds in the team.

Arcanine @ Firium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Protect
Of the used intimidate users, arcanine seemed like the best choice, due to his fire typing primarily and access to wild charge allows me to threaten potential kartanas and celesteelas that i go up agaisnt and OHKO them with firium Z ( not needed in kartanas case ofC). In addition to pellipers, although they usually have sashes, and also for gyrados. Defensive EV's are to minimize tapu lele psychic one shot as well as koko one shot. Will also be 2 HKO by marowak boomerang's. Moves are the usual standard, i've tried running roar over Espeed, but i think i prefer Espeed for its potential in getting ez knockouts.

Garchomp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 172 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Rock Slide
At this point i was kind of looking for a specially defensive pokemon that could give some ground coverage and came upon this garchomp set. I honestly like it alot, can survive 252+ lele moonblast, 252+ koko dazzling gleam as well as golduck hydro vortex with the AV and defensive EV's and then hit back with an EQ or rock slide. Standard nature and movrset, except for maybe fire fang, i have that there for kartanas or celesteelas, case maybe i dont bring arcanine or he's taken out and i need to deal with them. Not sure if i should swap in poisen jab back in.

Pheromosa @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Protect
Before, i had Tasareena in this spot, but my team was having trouble vs P2 and so i searched for an answer to it, and was recommended Fightium Z phero as it can OHKO any P2 with the Z move and get rid of my problem. I opted for u-turn over lunge as lunge wasn't actually seeing any use and u-turn is alot more helpful especially in terms of backing out in an unfavorable situation. Reason why i dont have poison jab on garchomp is partly b/c i have poison jab here and have a muk on the team as well. Ev's are standard, max attack and speed, it's defenses are poop anyways.

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 188 HP / 244 Atk / 44 Def / 20 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Protect
Wasn't really sure who to put for the 6th spot, kind of wanted a good answer to all the tapu's running around plus someone who could work well in TR and muk seemed to fit that category. Good poison/dark typing and good offensive stats with the spread to survive a plethora of attacks such as 252 bulu wood hammer and 252 torkoal specs eruption, as well as 252 lele moonblast and then see a good recovery with figi berry. 244 attack and adamant nature sees good damage onto the tapu's with poison jab, i like having shadow sneak in addtion to Espeed on arcanine for those quick pickups under TR or tailwind when i normally wouldnt outspeed. Knockoff is the standard strong move and protetc ofC.

Problems: Not sure how to really deal with Drifblim tailwind setters, i can't usually ever take them out and ive tried different leads to see what works and so far ive figured nothing out. Also, i felt like my team had a a lot of ground weaknesses and i wasn't sure how to deal with that, in addition to half my team not having protect garchomps EQ doesnt actually see much use, especially with no flying/levitating pokemon

So that's the team im working with thus far, been having good fun with them on showdown but would definitely like to be able to improve them in any way and then improve myself to get better at the game. If you feel someone needs to be replaced or EV's moved around whatever it is, im all ears so please, let me have whatever help you can offer. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)