Battle Spot Garchomp Preview [Singles]

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Garchomp is one of the most versatile and unpredictable Pokemon Battle Spot Singles has to offer. It's awesome Attack and Speed stats lets it hold a wide variety of items, it has a great ability in Rough Skin, and good bulk makes predicting its item and moveset a deadly game. However, Garchomp is so common that most teams will have a gameplan for it, usually exploting its 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Versatile Attacker
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Swords Dance / Stealth Rock
move 4: Rock Tomb / Fire Fang / Poison Jab
item: Focus Sash / Dragonium Z / Yache Berry
ability: Rough Skin
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* This Garchomp's aim is to take advantage of its item holding unpredictability to sweep or cause serious damage early game. Earthquake is an incredible STAB attack, while Outrage works well late game once Steel and Fairy-types are taken out.
* Swords Dance gives Garchomp the power to sweep, though it isn't always needed in every game. It usually works best late game unless you have a specfic target in mind to take out.
* Garchomp makes a good Stealth Rock user if the team needs it, though this comes at the cost of sweeping.
* Rock Tomb provides speed control support, while Rock Slide has a chance to flinch.
* Fire Fang is weak, but its Garchomp's best shot at getting ahead of Celesteela after a Swords Dance.
* Poison Jab allows Garchomp to get past Tapu Bulu and the rare Togekiss, and does a bit more damage to Fairy-types than Earthquake.
* Focus Sash allows Garchomp to take one powerful hit such as Porygon2's Ice Beam when at full health. If you only care about Ice-type attacks, Yache Berry is also a reasonable choice to free up the Focus Sash slot for another Pokemon.
* Dragonium Z lets Garchomp use the powerful Z-Outrage to bust through floating walls such as Porygon2, Cresselia, and Mega Slowbro. As a bonus, Z-Outrage also does not lock Garchomp in. Groundium Z is also a reasonable choice against bulky Fairy-types such as Tapu Fini and Azumarill.
* Yache Berry lets Garchomp survive one Ice-type attack (unless its Icicle Spear), freeing up the Focus Sash slot for a different Pokemon.
* Life Orb gives Garchomp the most consistent power, at the cost of compromising its good bulk with recoil.
* If the team is desperate to get past Steel-types like Celesteela, Firium Z with Z-Fire Fang can be used. It also can put Aegislash into Earthquake KO range even if it uses King's Shield.
* You'll want some good wall breakers even if your Garchomp is prepared to deal with certain walls, since Garchomp's ways around them usually only have one shot. Walls to prepare for include Porygon2, Cresselia, Celesteela, and Mega Slowbro.
* Mamoswine and Cloyster are big threats, since their Icicile Spear will OHKO Garchomp even if its holding Focus Sash or Yache Berry.

[SET]
name: Choice Attacker
move 3: Rock Slide / Poison Jab
move 4: Poison Jab / Dual Chop / Fire Fang
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]
* Choice Scarf makes Garchomp into an excellent revenge killer, letting it outspeed prominent boosting threats such as Mega Charizard X, Volcarona, and Dragonite. It also outspeeds non-Speed boosting threats such as Tapu Koko, Mega Gengar, and Greninja.
* Choice Band turns Garchomp into a powerhouse capable of breaking through weakened walls.
* Earthquake is Garchomp's reliable STAB, though use it sparingly if Flying-types and Levitate Pokemon are still around.
* Outrage is Garchomp's most powerful STAB. It's great for cleaning up weakened teams late game, but is risky early game due to Fairy- and Steel-types taking advnatage of Garchomp getting locked in.
* Rock Slide does good damage to Flying-types and has a shot at flinching, while Posion Jab hits Tapu Bulu hard.
* Dual Chop is a less risky Dragon-type move that happens to OHKO Pheromosa through its Focus Sash. With Choice Band, it also has a shot at OHKOing Breloom and Dragonite.
* Fire Fang allows Choice Band Garchomp to bust through Celesteela that don't heavily invest in Defense. However, it isn't very useful on the Choice Scarf set.
* This Garchomp has a harder time sweeping teams, so wall breakers are a good idea to carry.

Last edited:
Not QC but a few things to say!
Garchomp is one of the most versatile Pokemon Battle Spot Singles has to offer. It's good bulk lets it hold a wide variety of items, it has a great ability in Rough Skin, and great Attack stat makes predicting its item and moveset a deadly game. However, Garchomp is so common that most teams will have a gameplan for it, usually exploting its 4x weakness to Ice-type attacks.
^ Maybe add in a small line on how it is also unpredictable as well as versatile?
move 4: Rock Tomb / Poison Jab / Fire Fang / Dragon Claw
^ I don't think it's a good idea to have Dragon Claw as a slash option here. This suggests that you would double up on Dragon-type STAB, which is a bad move given that there are so many other coverage options to chose from. I'd be moving it up to move 2 as a slash.
* This Garchomp's aim is to take advantage of its item holding unpredictability to sweep or cause serious damage early game. Earthquake is an incredible STAB attack, while Outrage works well late game once Dragon-type resists are taken out.
Dragon-type resists and Fairy-types?
* Focus Sash allows Garchomp to take one powerful hit such as Porygon2's Ice Beam when at full health. If you only care about Ice-type attacks, Yache Berry is also a reasonable choice.
^ Minor, but could probably add how using Yache berry also frees up your Focus Sash for another Pokemon.
* Dragonium Z lets Garchomp use the powerful Z-Outrage to bust through floating walls such as Porygon2, Cresselia, and Mega Slowbro.
^ Small mention on how it also doesn't lock you into the move?
* Choice Scarf makes Garchomp into an excellent revenge killer, letting it outspeed prominent threats such as Dragon Dance Mega Gyarados, Tapu Koko, and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele.
^ Garchomp outspeeds Dragon Dance Mega-Gyarados only at +1; at +2, Mega-Gyarados outspeeds and has an 81% chance to OHKO with either STAB options. Also, Garchomp's Outrage is a guaranteed 2HKO. I just don't think it can do all too much as a revenge killer vs Mega-Gyarados, so this might be worth rewording a little.

Versatile Attacker
I agree with dogknees about Dragon Claw. In that double dragon STAB isn't the greatest sounding thing. I'm also hesitant to suggest slashing it with Outrage, which to me seems very vital for its damage output.

Choiced Attacker
I think Dual Chop over Dragon Claw is certainly worth considering. Especially with calcs like this: 252 Atk Garchomp Dual Chop (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 146-174 (100 - 119.1%)
Which is to say it KOs Focus Sash varients. Choice Band Dual Chop also has a good chance (>60%) to KO 4/0 Breloom and 4/0 Multiscale Dragonite.
Fire Fang with Choice Band is also good for Celesteela, it won't beat the full physdef builds but will beat the others. It is however underwhelming on Choice Scarf. I think slashing it on the fourth slot and mentioning that it's prefered for Choice Band rather than Choice Scarf is the call.

Perhaps sticking to just 3 on the list of prominent pokemon outsped by Choice Scarf flows better, but it really can't be overstated just how many important things it does outpace. I've found that being faster than +1 CharizardX, Volcarona and Dragonite to be life savers, as well as being faster than the threatening non-boosting options like M-Gengar, M-Lucario and Greninja.

"It's good bulk lets it hold a wide variety of items" <- I don't think bulk is what makes it so flexible. It's solid bulk should probably be mentioned but I think offensive stats(Atk+Speed) combined with powerful STABs are what makes Chomp able to be so versatile. And it's Speed should be mentioned in the overview as a big plus. While it's not anything crazy anymore with 110+ things pretty much everywhere, it's still very respectable and helps its gameplay a lot.

I think the Choice set should be above the rock setting one. Scarf is really good, arguably the best set even.

On the first set, Dragonium should be before Lum imo. I think the nuke is more important than dodging status. With DevDrake you usually will OHKO stuff before they even get a chance to status or if they do it's pretty much too late, and you get a trade at worst.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you guys for all the feedback, I implemented pretty much everything! I also got rid of Dragon Claw, because honestly I think the Tapus might have made that go extinct.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Versatile Attacker
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Rock Tomb / Poison Jab / Fire Fang
item: Focus Sash / Dragonium Z / Life Orb / Lum Berry
swap fire fang and poison jab. remove life orb and lum berry, add firium z

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock Setter
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Outrage
move 4: Rock Tomb / Poison Jab
item: Focus Sash / Yache Berry
Can't we just slash stealth rocks with swords dance on the first set and add yache as an item? having it as a separate (very similar) set seems pointless unless you give it a bulky build

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)