Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

Providing an update for my, as of yet, ongoing Battle Quest. Open Level. I was going to wait until I finished another full round (up to round 20; the Normal-type rooms) to do this but I thought this was worth retelling. I ALMOST lost my streak to a Picnicker's Curse + Double Team Miltank of all things on the seventh floor of Round 7, the Ice-type floors. Every Miltank you meet in the Frontier makes Whitney's look like a cakewalk lol

I lead with Banded Slaking as usual with Banded Salamence as back up and Blissey as a shield against any super fast special attackers. My Slaking's Hyper Beam missed and thanks to loafing around the cow got one Curse and a Double Team. Slaking's loafing sucks but it's still the best bet I have of blowing past a large majority of opponents I'm likely to face thanks to its herculean power. It got several Curses under its udders and twice KO'd my Slaking and 'Mence with Double-Edge, which is the only actual attack Cursetank runs, with 252 Attack/Sp. Defense), healing off the damage with Milk Drink.

My only hope of getting past this wretched beast was to use my 252 HP/Defense Blissey's Counter against it and hope it didn't get KO'd and didn't miss. For those who may not know, I know from experience with a Curse/DT Walrein in the Tower that Counter (and I presume its special clone as well) CAN miss if the opponents' evasion is boosted, and while I was expecting an attack Cow kept either Cursing or DTing. Ugh. Cow had several Curses but I Revived (I have 50+ Revives) my 'Mence at least a couple of times to try to weaken it with Intimidate. Cow KO'd Bliss but took massive recoil damage thanks to Bliss's gigantic HP and that was my key to victory. The recoil had weakened it to the point where, even with 4-5 (I lost count lol) Curses I could finish it with 'Mence's Banded Aerial Ace, bypassing all of its Double Team boosts as well. Closest call I've yet had to losing my streak. I do NOT look forward to going through ANOTHER 400+ floors just to get my record back.

Pic for proof. Also, as I didn't mention it previously, I play on an authentic cartridge.

Attachments

First time posting here. I’m submitting a record run for Battle Factory Open Level (100) Doubles. I play using an emulator on my phone.

Rounds 1-5 I didn’t keep detailed records of. My general strategy was to use 2 strong mons from my draft to lead, and then swap the third mon in the back every round to get better Pokémon through elevations in later rounds. I did try to cover weaknesses with my swaps or plan for the type of the next battle.

Round 1 Machamp1/Flygon1
Round 2 Dugtrio2/Starmie2
Round 3 Metagross3/Aerodactyl3
Round 4 Weezing4/Aerodactyl4
Round 5 Latios1/Blaziken2

I entered round 6 with 35 swaps.

Round 6
I chose Zapdos5 and Slowking2 with Steelix2 in the back
Swapped Steelix for Heracross3 after the first match.
Swapped Latios3 for Slowking after the fourth match
I kept these for the rest of the round. They had amazing coverage.

Round 7
Zapdos6 and Aerodactl2 with Xatu4 in the back
Swapped Xatu for Metagross7 after the third match.
I kept these for the rest of the round. Again, great coverage. Back to back Zapdos was a treat.

Round 8
I chose Dodrio3 and Rhydon2 with Kindra2 in the back.
Swapped Kingdra for Latias3 after the second match.
Swapped Dodrio for Zapdos1 after the fourth match
I kept these for the rest of the round. THREE Zapdos this run. So lucky.

Round 9
I chose Nidoqueen2 and Salamence7 with Regirock1 in the back.
Swapped Regirock for Weezing3 after the first match.
I kept this team for the rest of the round. Weezing had a sick focus band activate in the 7th match.

Round 10
I chose Sceptile3 and Arcanine3 with Vaporeon3 in the back.
I did not swap this round. FIRE WATER GRASS CORE BABY!

Round 11
I chose Dodrio2 and Manectric4 with Weezing4 in the back.
I swapped Weezing for Suicune3 after the second match.
Unfortunately, the 6th match ended up in a 1v1 with Suicune vs Regice1. Amnesia spam and thunderbolt proved too much and ended the run after 75 wins.

I took a crummy video of Rounds 6-11. Ignore my commentary, I was just talking to myself! Also, after round 9 I felt the need to stop and start another video for some reason.

I have matches 35-63 in the video
Pokémon Emerald Battle Factory LVL 100 Doubles (36-63)

And matches 63-76 in this video
Pokémon Emerald Battle Factory LVL 100 Doubles (64-75)

Update on my Battle Quest record, this time at the end of the my most recent 20 round streak. I always take a picture of my record after every round in case I lose the streak. This puts me at 560 floors cleared so far. And I may well do more in the future, or go for those 100 wins in the Tower for the Gold Shield. I'll be back when/if I win that or else go for another 20 rounds in the Pyramid.

As mentioned I mostly use my tried and true team of CB Slaking, CB Salamence, and Lefties Blissey. Those three make a pretty decent defensive core despite two of them being the same type; Slaking and Bliss function completely different though. Sometimes I run a special/mixed 'Mence but the physical one with Choice Band is still generally better. I also ran these two honorable mentions...

Gengar ("Klarion")
Nature: Modest
252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Item: Scope Lens
-Ice Punch, Thunderbolt, Fire Punch, Destiny Bond
I mainly went with this in lieu of 'Mence on some floors, namely the Dragon round so I could Ice Punch or T-Bolt the wild 'Mons when I knew there weren't any trainers nearby. It also performed well on the Steel floor thanks to Fire Punch, provides good protection against Reversal abusers (namely Scizor, which has been the end of a few streaks in the Tower in the past), and was my primary plan of taking out Curse boosters in case one got out of hand with D-Bond.

Lanturn ("Lumos")
Ability: Volt Absorb
252 Sp. Attack / 212 Sp. Defense / 44 HP
Item: Leftovers
-Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave
I only ran this on the Rock-type round, in lieu of Blissey for once. It also handles Brandon's birds very well. That was it really.

And a funny thing. I got stopped by a trainer on one of the floors of Round 12, the Weather round, just as I stepped on top of the warp tile. I've seen this happen to others on this board as they've posted pics of it but it hadn't ever happened to me until recently. Pics for proof.

Attachments

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
It always bugged me more than a little bit that my original Battle Pyramid streak was imperfect: though there are 20 discreet rounds, I only ever made it to 130, just ten floors shy of that nice round 140. I've been pretty sick this week so, from the comfort of my bed, decided to finally correct that. To my great surprise, I made it all the way to 140 floors in one consecutive run. Guess I really have improved.

One thing I've always been firm on was that I wanted to mix things up and bring different Pokemon for different rounds. I know some people feel differently about this and maintain that Slaking is the best lead in all circumstances, with Blissey also mandatory. I disagree: there are at least a couple of rounds in which Slaking struggles to handle the wild Pokemon. It's pretty much always a great choice for a trainer battle, but not always the best lead.

Also, bringing different Pokemon makes the challenge more fun.

Gonna briefly write up my approach to this so far as I know people found my Pike gameplay summary useful in the past.

So I decided I wanted to vary up my Pokemon pool and design the optimal team for each set of floors. Some Pokemon would, naturally, be brought for multiple rounds, but my thinking was based on the utility of each one. The Battle Pyramid is unique in that all opponents only have one Pokemon each, and this presents a massive advantage to the player. Since you are allowed to bring three, my thinking was that
  • Pokemon 1 should be the "wild Pokemon" slot, capable of OHKOing as many of the wild spawns as possible
  • Pokemon 2 should be the "trainer battles" slot, which you switch to the front if you see a trainer nearby. It should be versatile and powerful enough to be a good choice against most trainers
  • Pokemon 3 should be the "utility" Pokemon: it either excels in healing, finding items, or some other support role
My playstyle has changed a lot over the years since I started. Back in the day, I thought it best to avoid the wild Pokemon and to focus on fighting the trainers. With the benefit of hindsight, I'm more or less completely the opposite on this now. The hints you get from trainers aren't worth the effort it takes to defeat them, and even if they were it's not like there's enough of them to help. It might be a false memory but I could have sworn sometimes trainers point in different directions when referring to the exit; if trainer A says the exit is "^ that way" and trainer B says the exit is "> that way", that's a lot more helpful than two identical answers. Whatever the case, it never happened during this run.

And the wild Pokemon are weaker; why take on an EV trained Walrein when you could fight one with no EVs and a level disadvantage (and which doesn't know Sheer Cold)?

I've also gotten much more familiar with the pyramid floor layouts (in small part to some of the mechanics that have been shared in this thread) so find myself finding the exit tile much more quickly and efficiently than in the past.

Despite this, however, you can't avoid trainers entirely - you must accept that surprise trainer approaches will happen. Unless you stand still and turn on the spot to grind wild encounters at the start of every floor to widen the camera immensely, you will be seen by NPCs beyond the reach of your view eventually.

The only point I will maintain is that, where possible, double battles should be avoided at all costs. There is literally nothing to be gained in having opponents gang up on you and removing the massive advantage you get being 3v1; you don't get a 2x visibility increase after the battle to account for the second trainer. Fairly often, the exit tile will be in a position in which it is only reachable by passing between two trainers; if this is the case, you should either wait for one to look the other way or circle around and approach one of them from a different side. I played well during this run; from memory, I only fought four double battles during the whole run, of which two happened on the same floor one right after the other simply because there was no alternative; I was stuck in between two unmoving NPCs in their line of sight.

What follows is an accounting of the Pokemon I brought for each round, and a brief writeup.

Floors #1-7: Paralysis

:rs/flygon:
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Fly
Flamethrower
252 Attack/Speed, 6 Special Attack (Naive)

:rs/linoone:
Slash
Thunderbolt
Surf
Thief
156 Attack, 100 Special Attack, 252 Speed (Naive)

:rs/phanpy:
Earthquake
Ancientpower
Secret Power
Hidden Power (Flying)
252 HP/Atk, 6 SpDef (Adamant)

Round 1 is the easiest by far, so naturally it's where I choose to take the opportunity to farm as many items as I could for the later rounds. Because of the abundance of Electric-types here, Flygon was a natural choice: it destroys all the wild Pokemon with ease, and once I reach the seventh floor I can just grind out battles over and over for maximum item-grabbage. Flamethrower and Fly took care of Vileplume and Breloom once they start showing up (ideally I would have run Hidden Power Flying for Breloom, but it's specially frail enough that Flamethrower does the job).

In the early floors, Phanpy is a good switch-in to most Electrics; Linoone was placed in second in case of trainer battles. But Flygon really just does everything. The trainers here are so weak that Flygon can KO everything with ease, but so many of the Electrics can't touch Phanpy at all so I used it wherever I could to conserve Flygon's PP. It's actually the very same one I used in my Adventures: Emerald challenge: as I wrote there, all of its moves were specifically chosen because they do not make contact in order to avoid triggering abilities like Static and Effect Spore. Linoone was given Thief on the very slim chance I'd run into a trainer with a great item I wanted to take for myself. Never happened, but it's worth running just in case. I've had opponent Pokemon Trick my precious Choice Bands and Leftovers away in the past.

Floors #8-14: Poison

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Fly
Flamethrower

:rs/linoone:
Slash
Thunderbolt
Surf
Thief
156 Attack, 100 Special Attack, 252 Speed (Naive)

Earthquake
Ancientpower
Secret Power
Hidden Power (Flying)

The same team setup and general strategy applies here. As before, once I reached the final floor I'd run around and grind Pickup chances until I was out of PP and ready to leave. This floor was where I found the item no Pyramid run is complete without: the Choice Band. Sadly it was the only one I found which made some later rounds a little tricky. But it's great to have even one.

Floors #15-21: Burn

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Fly
Flamethrower

:rs/Heracross:
Brick Break
Megahorn
Earthquake
Rock Slide
252 Attack/Speed, 6 HP (Adamant)

Earthquake
Ancientpower
Secret Power
Hidden Power (Flying)

This time around, it's Heracross in second place instead of Linoone. Hariyama or Machamp would have worked too, but Heracross's speed and access to Megahorn appeal more to me. The big trick is getting it inflicted with a burn. You can either do the risky thing of switching it into a wild Pokemon in hopes that they'll use Will-o-Wisp on you (dangerous against anything except Dusclops, which doesn't have a damaging Fire move) or pummel a load of wild Magcargo with Brick Break and hope that Flame Body triggers for one of them. This was the route I took. With a Choice Band equipped and Guts activated, Heracross tears through Brandon's Silver team so hard it's not even funny.

Floors #22-28: PP Reduction

:rs/crobat:
Aerial Ace
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Thief
252 Attack/Speed, 6 HP (Jolly)

:rs/slaking:
Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

:rs/latios:
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dragon Claw
252 Special Attack/Speed, 6 HP (Modest)

We leave the Pickup squad behind for round 4 onwards. If you've played correctly, you'll have picked up a war chest of items by this point. Happily, this was the case for me: by this point, I had over 20 Hyper Potions and over 10 Revives. No Blissey to do my healing... yet.

Crobat was an unconventional choice but a surprisingly effective one. With the Choice Band I picked up equipped, its Shadow Ball was more than enough to deal with all the Ghosts that show up here; Sludge Bomb takes out Dunsparce and Ninetales, too. Even despite the held item and the Jolly nature, Thief was included solely for Shedinja; no point wasting Shadow Ball or Aerial Ace PP on it.

And finally Slaking appears - well, as I said, it's the perfect Pokemon for taking on trainers. Latios was included for some offensive insurance; I wasn't 100% convinced that Crobat would cope, but as it turns out I needn't have worried because it performed splendidly.

Floors #29-35: Levitate

:rs/starmie:
Surf
Psychic
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dragon Claw

This is always an annoyingly inconsistent round, but overall Starmie is best-placed to take down almost all of the wild Pokemon here. The only one it doesn't have a super-effective option against is Chimecho, but that's hardly worth worrying about. Latios was, again, a handy backup while Slaking was reserved for trainer fights.

Floors #36-42: Trapping

:rs/crobat:
Aerial Ace
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Thief
252 Attack/Speed, 6 HP (Jolly)

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

:rs/Blissey:
Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss
252 HP/Defence, 6 Special Defence (Bold)

Crobat comes back again as the useful lead to avoid the trappers in this round. It laughs at Diglett, Dugtrio, and Trapinch and slaughters Wynaut and Wobbuffet. But Slaking is definitely needed for the trainers in this round; this is where Crobat really starts to fall behind. Still, this round wasn't difficult. It's the first one where I decidedly chose to grind a few times upon arriving on each new floor to widen my visual range, but I happened to make it to the top very quickly in any case.

This was the first round I brought a Blissey along. I'd wanted to use an Aromatherapy Blissey for ages, but never did on previous runs - I decided here though that, instead of carrying Flamethrower as is my usual choice for her, Blissey should be much more support-oriented.

Ironically I may as well not have bothered given the sheer amount of Lum Berries I eventually ended up collecting, but it came in useful in certain fights and, crucially, often baits NPC Pokemon into wasting turns inflicting status on you over and over instead of doing something more threatening like boosting.

Floors #43-49: Ice

:rs/blaziken:
Flamethrower
Thunderpunch
Sky Uppercut
Earthquake
252 Attack, 80 Special Attack, 188 Speed (Naughty)

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

When thinking about how to face down Ice-types, one Pokemon came to mind as an obvious counter: Blaziken. That said, I did have initial concerns: would Thunderpunch fail to KO Cloyster? Would Sky Uppercut fail to KO Walrein? Would Sneasel outspeed? All of those things are possible - however, in practice extremely unlikely when the wild Pokemon are several levels below your own, with random IVs and no EV investment. And so Blaziken performed excellently, the equipped Choice Band allowing it to cleave through all the increasingly bulky Ice spawns. It even did pretty well against the few trainers I failed to spot in time to switch Slaking to the front; ultimately, though, Slaking is the preferred option. On the fifth floor Blaziken missed a Sky Uppercut and predictably got frozen - not a problem, Blissey laughs in the face of every foe here and sees them off

Floors #50-56: Selfdestruct

:rs/gengar:
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Fire Punch
Giga Drain

:rs/metagross:
Hidden Power (Steel)
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Sludge Bomb

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

Let's bring a Ghost-type to the Explosion round! Whyever not. Gengar is a good answer to just about everything you'll meet here barring Electrode, who can be slightly annoying. But never mind that - with the Shell Bell equipped, Giga Drain on wild Golem ensures you'll stay healthy. On the occasions where Gengar proved a little too weak, though, Metagross made a useful backup; the two pair well in case of any accidental double battles. Thankfully that never happened.

This is a fun round, actually. It's hilarious to see wild Pokemon blow up in front of Gengar; every so often I wouldn't even bother to attack and just spend a couple of turns healing my team before I got a cheap and easy win. Worst comes to worst, even Blissey can survive most of the Explosions here, though that's obviously not something you want to be happening with any regularity.

Floors #57-63: Psychic

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

:rs/Houndoom:
Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Faint Attack
12 Attack, 246 Special Attack, 252 Speed (Hasty)

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

This time, our wild Pokemon fighter is... Blissey?! Well, yeah. Literally none of the wild Pokemon here can touch her. You poison them, heal yourself if Synchronise bounces it back at you, and then either heal or hasten their demise with Seismic Toss. It's a refreshing change of pace to go from OHKOing everything to making them faint at a leisurely pace.

Just in case it got too much, however, I figured Houndoom would be a fun alternative. It's great fun to use, and Shadow Ball becomes intensely powerful when boosted by Choice Band. Blissey's PP does tend to run down quicker than you might think, and while I had Ethers and Leppa Berries aplenty, why waste them if I didn't have to?

This did mean, however, exceptionally greater care when it came to trainers. A physical Pokemon used by a trainer is a threat, and switching can be costly. Houndoom found itself unceremoniously sacrificed once or twice to allow Slaking to get in safely and secure the KO - not exactly the most optimal play, but luckily most of the time I was able to spot any trainers nearby and switch Slaking to the front of the party before they sighted me. As the penultimate round before Brandon's Gold team, I'm always a bit cautious with this one, so it felt right to play it as safely as I could.

Floors #64-70: Rock

:rs/starmie:
Surf
Psychic
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

:rs/Heracross:
Brick Break
Megahorn
Earthquake
Rock Slide

:rs/aerodactyl:
Ancientpower
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Double-Edge

This is a weirdly easy round for the one where you take on Brandon again. Between them, Starmie and Heracross utterly destroy all the Rock-types here so it felt right to have them both.

Aerodactyl, of course, is reserved to take on the birds. Starmie also makes good backup against Articuno and Moltres. Any sufficiently powerful Rock-type would do for this; even Aggron, for all its many faults, can wipe out Brandon's Gold Team with a Choice-boosted Ancientpower. But Aerodactyl is simply more efficient, and it needed no support to get three clean KOs.

Floors #71-77: Fighting

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dragon Claw

Ancientpower
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Double-Edge

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

We're in the big leagues now! Well, not really. Predictably, Latios makes a great choice to obliterate wild Fighting-types; Aerodactyl also does, and both it and Slaking are ideally placed for taking on trainers. Had an unfortunate double battle here on the first floor; Latios and Aerodactyl make for an excellent combination and the Donphan/Electabuzz they faced had no chance.

Floors #78-84: Weather

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dragon Claw

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

I don't like this round. There's very little consistency between the wild Pokemon you encounter; Starmie can hit (nearly) all of them for super-effective damage, but by this point their levels are creeping high enough that OHKOs aren't always assured. For that reason, I decided Slaking was the safer bet, though I regretted this slightly when I started encountering Gyarados at higher levels.

This was the first round where I really struggled. After losing Slaking to a trainer with a pesky Horn Drill Rhydon, Latios served as my lead for a while; it did fine, but got worn down by trainer battles too quickly. I eventually opted to revive Slaking and fought my way out.

Floors #85-91: Bug

Ancientpower
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Double-Edge

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

After the last one, this round was almost a breather. That said, Aerodactyl was pretty quickly knocked out by that most annoying of opponents, Forretress; I opted not to bother reviving it and let Slaking do double-duty for the rest of the round.

Floors #92-98: Dark

Flamethrower
Thunderpunch
Sky Uppercut
Earthquake

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

Back to Blaziken for my lead once again.

This round was the round which nearly saw the end of my run. I lost Slaking to a trainer's Miltank which unpleasantly got a Focus Band activation and used Counter, then stumbled into a double battle against a Psychic and a Hex Maniac who sent out Alakazam and Xatu. Alakazam promptly OHKO'd Blaziken; Blissey got off a Toxic on Xatu, which set up Future Sight. Alakazam used Calm Mind then started using Psychic repeatedly, eventually getting a Special Defence drop; Xatu kept using Drill Peck.

The damage was too overwhelming for Softboiled to be safe so I used up multiple Hyper Potions as Blissey heroically tanked the damage.

Thankfully, Synchronise poison doesn't increase like Toxic poison does or I'd have been sunk. The other saving grace was that Xatu stopped attacking every other turns to set up Future Sight again, allowing me some extra room. But with the Special Defence drop, it was dicey, and I came within spitting distance of fainting multiple times. Eventually Xatu succumbed to poison and this allowed me an additional turn to revive Slaking, finally let Blissey die, then revive Blissey again so I could defeat Alakazam properly. Absolute nightmare of a battle, and then I stumbled into another double battle moments later! Thankfully, this one was far easier - Slaking took care of Mr Mime, while Blissey poisoned Dusclops and stalled it out until it fell.

Floors #99-105: Water

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dragon Claw

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

Latios is the better choice for the wild Pokemon here - too often Slaking has to resort to Double-Edge, you just end up whittling your own HP down. Brandon is fought again here; Blissey laughs at all three birds.

Floors #106-112: Ghost

:rs/Houndoom:
Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Faint Attack
12 Attack, 246 Special Attack, 252 Speed (Hasty)

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

After the PP reduction round (which mostly features Ghosts) this one feels a bit redundant. But in any case, Houndoom is the best one for the job when it comes to slaughtering the undead. Or re-slaughtering them, I suppose. If it falls, Slaking can step in and capably take over.

This round was actually probably the easiest overall because, somehow, I managed to only fight one single trainer. If only they were all so quiet...

Floors #113-119: Steel

Flamethrower
Thunderpunch
Sky Uppercut
Earthquake

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

Blaziken again takes over against all the Steel-types. Metagross is still a scary foe regardless, but since it's only common on the later floors I trusted that we wouldn't see it until late. This worked out, and Blaziken comfortably took on all the other wild spawns multiple times before failing to KO Metagross and falling to its Earthquake. Not that it mattered. Slaking, again, stepped in and took over. But that was on floor seven so it didn't have much time to shine. There's hardly any point taking on Skarmory - luckily (or I guess unlikely) I'd used up the two Max Revives I collected earlier on so had a space free for a couple of Fluffy Tails, which were deployed against the two Skarmory that popped up in a vain attempt to spoil my day.

Floors #120-126: Flying

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dragon Claw

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

This might more accurately be called the Dragon round, since Kingdra and Dragonair crash the party and none of the species here are anything Lance would balk at using. For that reason, Latios is the clear choice for lead sweeper. It's quite possibly the only round where everything is OHKO'd by a super-effective move - nice and easy does it. However, Latios seems to run out of PP much more quickly than other mons, so it guzzled up a couple of Ethers before the round was over; not that it mattered, I had more than 10 at this point (and some Leppa Berries too).

Floors #127-133: Stones

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dragon Claw

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

Like the weather round, this one's annoying. Arcanine, Jolteon, and Starmie all can be troublesome to face - Slaking just about does the job for everything here, but you know you'll be using some healing items before you're done.

Consequently, I found myself relying on Blissey a lot. If Starmie or Jolteon showed up, often I just switched straight to Blissey and let her handle things. Why needlessly get paralysed or frozen, after all?

Floors #134-140: Normal

Double-Edge
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball

Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Dragon Claw

Softboiled
Aromatherapy
Toxic
Seismic Toss

And now for the final round. And... it's just the same as the last. Yep, Slaking, Latios, and Blissey are definitely the "top" Pokemon for here, in that they cover the biggest pool of foes together. While I could have brought, say, Metagross or Blaziken or Gengar along, it's hard to deny these three were the ones you wanted.

As before, Brandon is fought at the end of this round, and Blissey humbles his team. I even picked up two X Defends shortly before exiting the final floor to humiliate him even more. Moltres' Hyper Beam hardly left a mark.

1699224328643.png
1699224318495.png

My stock of items by the final Brandon battle had me feeling pretty confident.

For the majority of the run my ten item slots were Hyper Potion, Ether, Sacred Ash, Revive, Shell Bell, Leftovers, Leppa Berry, Lum Berry, Max Revive, and Choice Band. As I only had the one Choice Band, this meant I was often able to pick up an eleventh item during each round - usually a specific berry (Chesto, Pecha, Cheri etc), a Max Elixer, or a Full Restore - and then junk it by the end. I eventually used up the two Max Revives I found, leaving me an additional slot open. Nothing really warranted keeping though; I found a few Quick Claws but didn't feel them worth the slot.

And that's it! A solid 140.

When I started this run I only wanted to get here; then I looked at the current record for level 50 Pyramid and thought, why not come for Suspicious Derivative's crown... and then in the time it took me to write this up Doctor_Rob came in with his meteoric Pyramid record. Congrats dude! There's something to aim for indeed. Not quite sure I'll push through to 560 but I'll keep chipping away and see how far I end up getting, I guess.

1699224419101.png

Last edited:
Hello everyone! It's my first time commenting. I've wanted to participate and share a streak I achieved today in Pokémon Emerald for a while. I'm from Latin America, and I'm doing my best with the English I more or less understand to translate this text for you.
In my quest to master Battle Dome Singles, I've experimented with many teams, but none have given me as many results as this one. However, the leader of Dome Tactio was a bit challenging since they always defeated me. Only once did my Milotic manage to freeze Swampert on the first turn, and that was the only time I could defeat them. Overall, the team has served me well against other competitors.

The streak I achieved was 10 consecutive wins in the Level 50 Battle Dome on a GBA emulator.

Team:
Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Level: 50
EVs: 100 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Attract
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Metagross @ Shell Bell
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 196 Atk / 100 Def / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Milotic @ Focus Band
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 50 HP / 222 Def / 140 SpA / 96 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-12 at 12.36.03 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-12 at 1.28.17 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-12 at 1.28.17 PM(1).jpeg

The strategy is simple: Blissey is the special wall against Pokémon that attack specially, Metagross is the Pokémon that destroys those weak to physical attacks he shares, and Milotic acts as a wear-down Pokémon with its Toxic to gradually reduce the life of those who can withstand a lot of damage.

Unfortunately, I lost , which could have been win number 11. This was all due to a Houndoom that used Double-Edge against Blissey and Overheat against Metagross, defeating them in a single blow.
Possible threats to the team include Pokémon that cause instant K.O.s, like Walrein. I also need to be careful with moves like COUNTER and Mirror Coat. For these situations, I use the Toxic move.
PS: I wasn't familiar with EV training in depth, but I'll breed Pokémon with better stats. My English is not very good, but I hope the idea could be understood. Now I'm open to any suggestions from you. :)

Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

View attachment 336583
The front lines of Pokemon battling!

Join us on the Battle Facilities Discord server!
Battle Facility threads: Gen II Tower | Gen IV Frontier | Battle Subway | Battle Maison | Battle Tree | SwSh Facilities | BDSP Tower

Things to keep in mind:
  • Regular Smogon and Orange Islands forum rules apply.

• Feel free to discuss anything about the teams and strategies you use, the enemy Pokemon and movesets you encounter, and your streak successes and failures. Theory-moning is encouraged as well. Free form discussion is really helpful, so don't be shy, even if you're posting about a very early loss or a poorly optimized team.

• Please do not make claims about AI "cheating", be it through influencing probability (100% accurate Sheer Colds) or coded counter-teaming. I would like to discourage fan theories like this (mystic's %C) or any unhelpful discussion that makes claims about the AI cheating against you.

• Reliable information on how the AI plays is most appreciated. If you find any useful information like any new mechanic, any kind of AI behavior, please let us know! Any kind of contribution, no matter how big or small is always helpful.

• Don't cheat (this includes save stating or restoring save files to avoid losses). Streaks using hacked or genned Pokemon will not be leaderboard eligible.

• This is not a court of law. I reserve myself the right to reject sufficiently dubious streaks even without absolute proof of cheating. The various facility threads rely on a system of trust. As such, I ask that you don't give into any temptations you may have to cheat just to get on a leaderboard.

• Due to the hardware limitations of Gen 3, I will be allowing the use of these glitches only applicable for the following scenarios. For more information on the glitches that are allowed and not allowed, you can check this post. I also reserve myself the right to disallow the use of any glitch not listed in here that I feel it gives an unfair advantage to any player.

• Allowed examples of Pomeg Glitching:
      • Glitching breedable parents (The parent itself will not be allowed due to illegal met data).
      • Reaching Southern Island and other event places.
      • PID corruption to obtain trade evolution Pokemon (you must be sure that the PID will be corrupted back into its previous data after evolving)
    • Allowed examples of Pike glitching:
      • Sketching legal egg move combinations (No Drill Peck + Whirlwind Skarmory)
      • Recover a deleted purify move. Your Pokemon must be a legal Pokemon obtained from Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.
      • Level-up moves that can be passed down as egg-moves (Such as Megahorn on Heracross).
      • Repeated use of tutor moves locked behind single use per save (Such as Substitute or Double Edge)
      • Recover or teach forgotten pre-evolution or level-up moves (Sketching moves that are locked after Level 50, are disallowed for Level 50 Mode streaks).
    • Allowed exampled of Roamer Glitching in RS:
      • Obtaining a roamer Latios with higher IVs on Ruby/Sapphire. Any other Pokemon will not be allowed.
    [*][*]

Leaderboard Requirements:
  • All records require a screenshot or picture of your in-game Battle Results and all users are required to obligatory disclaim the facility that was challenged, the level it was challenged for (Lv. 50 or Open Level) and whether the streak was done on retail or emulator.

• Records on emulators are eligible as well as any Pokemon obtained from an emulator. Records on retail and emulator will be marked differently so that other interested parties wanting to replicate a leaderboard team can recognize the differences at which each team can be played. Due to how easy it is to cheat streaks on emulator, having concrete proof such as recorded videos or detailed write-ups is heavily encouraged. I reserve myself the right to ask for any additional recorded footage if I do not trust your streak enough in order to add it as leaderboard material.

• Streaks must be done on legitimate copies of the game. Emulator streaks must be done on unedited ROMs without any patches. Bootlegs, ROM-hacks or fan-translations will not be allowed.

• The following minimum win streak requirements have been set to qualify for inclusion of any NEW streak submitted:
    • Battle Tower: 70 wins
    • Battle Arena: 56 wins
    • Battle Factory: 42 wins
    • Battle Palace: 42 wins
    • Battle Dome: 10 tournaments (40 rounds)
    • Battle Pike: 10 passes through (70 rounds)
    • Battle Pyramid: 10 rounds (70 floors)

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Best of luck to everyone!

Potentially Useful Resources:

Forum Resources:

Previous Gen III Battle Frontier Threads:
Emerald Battle Frontier Guide PLEASE HELP DEVELOPING
Gen 3 Battle Frontier Record thread
The Battle Frontier discussion thread!

I would like to report a Battle Arena top 10 record. I had 69 wins at level 50 with Latios, Metagross, and Suicune. I was on cartridge on my GBA SP.

Attachments

When I started this run I only wanted to get here; then I looked at the current record for level 50 Pyramid and thought, why not come for Suspicious Derivative's crown... and then in the time it took me to write this up Doctor_Rob came in with his meteoric Pyramid record. Congrats dude! There's something to aim for indeed. Not quite sure I'll push through to 560 but I'll keep chipping away and see how far I end up getting, I guess.
Glad that I've inspired you. I'm currently sitting at 568 floors cleared, about to challenge the Water round. I'll post the end results when/if I complete the final round. Also Brandon challenges you every 5 rounds with his bird team.

Hello I'd like to report a 163 win streak for Battle Tower Singles and a ongoing 112 win streak for Battle Arena, both level 50, on console.

Battle Tower Team:
Gengar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Destiny Bond

Metagross @ Choice Band
EVs: 156 HP / 140 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Explosion

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
Standard Destiny Bond Gengar. Generally good to preserve it to use Destiny Bond when up 2-1. Metagross EV'ed to survive Iron Tail + Earthquake From Steelix 3 and 4, but generally the sequence should be -switch to Metagross on Iron Tail, EQ the Steelix (Steelix EQ back), switch back to Gengar (Steelix EQ miss), finish off with Ice punch. 212 Speed to hit 117 which outspeeds all Jynx. Blissey EV'ed to outspeed all Walrein. Double status Blissey is my personal favorite Blissey set because it allows for so much maneuverability. Toxic by itself has issues with Speed boosters, but Thunder Wave by itself puts too much pressure for Blissey to attack herself. You will almost never need Aromatherapy if you switch to Blissey often, and giving her a coverage move is a waste in my opinion. Also switching to Gengar on the last Toxic turn can gain momentum, especially if its the on the last Pokemon. It might even be good for Gengar to take some more damage in that case just to guarantee the AI will attack into a Destiny Bond.

I lost to a Bug Maniac. Team was Heracross, Scizor, Armaldo. Gengar kills Heracross with around 55% remaining but with a Speed drop (Rock Tomb Crit). Idk the Scizor set initially so I Thunderbolt, it uses Swords Dance. I'm worried that it's Scizor 2 (with Steel Wing), so I switch to Metagross on the Agility. Now it's clear that its Scizor 4. I EQ twice (it does Swords Dance again) but it leaves it at around 15%, now it has a Swarm boost so it OHKOs my Metagross after a crit. Gengar back, it outspeeds and finishes it off. Armaldo activates Quick Claw and kills Gengar with Ancientpower. Blissey T-wave on Armaldo, Armaldo Brick Break. I need 3 paralyses to win, and it doesn't happen. I think the correct play was to repeatedly use Destiny Bond with Gengar on the Scizor initially because even if I moved second after a Scizor boost, the DB effect still lasts.

Battle Arena Team:
Metagross @ Cheri Berry
EVs: 156 HP / 140 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Steel]
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion

Swampert @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Surf
- Earthquake
- Counter
- Mirror Coat

Latios @ Lum Berry
EVs: 36 HP / 248 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Dragon Claw
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Same Metagross set as before but with HP Steel to avoid misses and Shadow Ball for Psychic/Ghosts. Cheri Berry is nice because Regis/Latis/Electric types often do not Thunderbolt as first move interestingly. Swampert speed EV's to outspeed 81 (Base 60 and lower). Having both Mirror Coat and Counter is nice because using the Frontier Assistant, you can easily figure out which one to select given the opponent's set. Swampert can get a lot of chip damage on Pokemon 3 usually for Latios to finish it off. Dive is there just in case you want to force an opponent to miss on turn 3 for the skill points (if you outspeed). Chesto Berry just because Swampert rarely gets paralyzed. Latios with Dragon Claw because my previous runs with Ice Beam had issues with Kingdra 4, it can live two Psychics and Rest, if it gets one Ice Beam off you lose because it will have more health at the end of 3 turns. Hidden Power Fire for Steel types is absolutely necessary because Thunderbolt will not do nowhere enough damage to 4HKO/3HKO Registeel/Metagross/Scizor/Steelix

I'm really proud that I now have 100+ records in Battle Tower/Arena/Hall. I may try for 100+ wins in Dome next (25+ rounds), but I think I've already done the hardest 3.

BattleTower163.jpgBattleArena112.jpg

Welp, I’m back with a new Battle Pyramid record post. 20 new rounds ended and 700 floors cleared now. This was my team at the end of round 20...

(“King Louie”)
Nature: Adamant
252 Attk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Item: Choice Band
Return, Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball

(“Maxine”)
Nature: Bold
252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Sp. Def
Seismic Toss, Counter, Thunder Wave, Soft-Boiled

(“Don Gero”)
Ability: Water Absorb
252 HP / 202 Def / 54 Sp. Def
Perish Song, Surf, Ice Beam, Hypnosis

I very seldom go through the Pyramid without either Slaking or Blissey. The former is such a powerful O-KOer and the latter is such an important special shield.

Politoed was kind of a personal novelty but, has anyone actually considered bringing a Perish Singer into this facility? It’s actually a clever strategy to deal with Double Teamers, bulky walls like Cradily, and to some extent Cursers. I know it’s a bit specific and generally it’s better to just hit the opposition as hard as possible, which is what Slaking is for, but an unlucky miss from Hyper Beam (or even a failed KO, rare as that is) can be costly against such foes. All the better the trainers here only have one 'Mon each which means they can't switch out to avoid the otherwise inevitable KO. This singing little frog actually saved me against a trainer’s DT Suicune and later a Cradily. Previously I once almost had a streak ruined by a Curse/Double Team Miltank.

I chose Politoed in particular for this as it had a combination of decent bulk and offensive power, even though all of its EVs went into its defensive stats lol. Looking around several other ‘Mons CSM learn PS as well. Lapras might’ve been a better choice but I didn’t want 3 weaknesses to one type. I considered Altaria too but I didn’t want a wall with a glaring 4x weakness. Misdreavus and Gengar are a bit squishy even with defensive EV investment. Jynx is fast but too defensively inept. Dewgong and Azumarill are just worse varieties of Lapras and Politoed respectively. Murkrow, Absol and Marowak lol. I suppose Wigglytuff could work if EV’d in its defenses.

EDIT
I decided to give the fluffy draconian bird a try after all with this set...

(“Bluebell”)
Nature: Calm
252 HP / 212 Sp. Def / 44 Def
Perish Song, Rest, Haze, Flamethrower

This actually saved me on Round Two of my latest ongoing streak against a trainer’s DT spamming Registeel and a Calm Mind Raikou, and was paired with Slaking, Swampert and later Alakazam. It could also humiliate the many other DT spamming hard-to-break walls you'll likely encounter - Umbreon, Meganium, Venusaur, Ludicolo, Clefable, Dusclops to name just a few I can think of off the bat lol. I realized Altaria makes a good Perish Singer here as it’s the only one who can heal itself with Rest then switch out for basically a free full restore thanks to Natural Cure, perhaps on the last turn of PS lol. It’s also the only Perish user with such a recovery strategy, if you don’t count Politoed and Lapras’s Water Absorbs and Misdreavus’s Pain Spilt. Sing or Protect can also be used to stall for Perish turns but I put Haze on this specifically to help neutralize Curse boosters given this set is mostly specially defensive.

Attachments

Last edited:
:rs/hariyama:

In my recent efforts to finally conquer the Battle Frontier, I've learned that Hariyama (or at least my Hariyama, uncreatively named Punchy, I was like six when I caught him) is incredible. Not only does Vital Throw bypass the many evasion-spamming Normal-types in the Frontier, but Punchy is way better at the Battle Palace than I ever expected him to be. He Vital Throws almost everything, Rock Slides the things that don't make sense to Vital Throw, Protects for Leftovers recovery when at low HP, and almost never skips a turn. So many battles there are won by Punchy alone.
Sassy, actually. Which also makes him GOATed outside the Palace since it compliments Bulk Up so well (which six-year-old me taught him, not fully grasping that maybe these TMs might actually be valuable; thank god the Whismur I gave Shock Wave to was male, otherwise I couldn't have bred it onto the Ampharos that's also been accompanying me on my recent conquest)

I'm back with another Battle Quest record. 840 floors cleared. This time I noted my teams throughout each round to give you a closer look at my process, plus some new ways of thinking I've come to recently adopt.

ROUND ONE, ELECTRIC/PARALYSIS

("Titano")
Ability: Truant
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Double-Edge, Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball

("Wipeout")
Nature: Relaxed
248 HP / 204 Defense / 56 Sp. Defense
Earthquake, Surf, Ice Beam, Protect

("Bluebell")
252 HP / 212 Sp. Defense / 44 Defense

ROUND TWO, POISON

("Albus")
Ability: Synchronize
Item: Scope Lens/Lum Berry
Psychic, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch

("Titano")

("Bluebell")

ROUND THREE, FIRE/BURNS

("Titano")

("Astrid")
Ability: Intimidate
Aerial Ace, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Brick Break

("Don Gero")
252 HP / 202 Defense / 54 Sp. Defense

ROUND FOUR, PP WASTE

("Titano")

("Wipeout")

("Bluebell")

ROUND FIVE, LEVITATE and Brandon

("Titano")

("Wipeout")

("Bluebell")

ROUND SIX, TRAPPING

("Titano")

("Astrid")

("Dirge")
Nature: Timid
248 HP / 200 Speed / 60 Sp. Defense
Perish Song, Destiny Bond, Protect, Night Shade

ROUND SEVEN, ICE

("Titano")

("Toadstool")
Ability: Effect Spore
Nature: Jolly
Spore, Focus Punch, Mach Punch, Leech Seed

("Don Gero")

ROUND EIGHT, BOOM!

("Titano")

("Snowhead")
252 Sp. Attack / 252 HP / 4 Sp. Defense
Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Rest, Counter

("Dirge")

ROUND NINE, PSYCHIC

("Titano")

("Soldier")
252 Attack / 184 HP / 72 Speed
Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Aerial Ace, Explosion

("Dirge")

ROUND TEN, ROCKS

("Titano")

("Don Gero")

("Maxine")
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Defense
Seismic Toss, Soft-Boiled, Thunder Wave, Counter

ROUND ELEVEN, FIGHTING

("King Louie")

("Dirge")

("Maxine")
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Defense
Seismic Toss, Soft-Boiled, Thunder Wave, Counter

ROUND TWELVE, WEATHER

("King Louie")

("Astrid")

"Loch Ness"
252 HP / 164 Defense / 92 Sp. Attack
Perish Song, Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt

ROUND THIRTEEN, BUGS

("King Louie")

("Klarion")
252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed / 4. Sp Defense
Thunderbolt, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Destiny Bond

("Bluebell")

ROUND FOURTEEN, DARK

("Titano")

("Astrid")

("Dirge")
252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed / 4. Sp Defense
Thunderbolt, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Destiny Bond

ROUND FIFTEEN, WATER and Brandon

("Titano")

("Lumos")
Ability: Volt Absorb
Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave

("Dirge")

ROUND SIXTEEN, GHOSTS

("Titano")

("Dirge")

"Loch Ness"

ROUND SEVENTEEN, STEEL

("Titano")

("Granmamare")
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Attack
Surf, Ice Beam, Recover, Mirror Coar

("Dirge")

ROUND EIGHTEEN, DRAGONS

("Titano")

("Astrid")

"Loch Ness"

ROUND NINETEEN, STONE EVOS

("Titano")

("Astrid")

"Loch Ness"

ROUND TWENTY, NORMALS and Brandon

("Titano")

("Astrid")

"Loch Ness"

And there you have it. I didn't use Blissey nearly as much this time as I did in the past, though I wish I did since I had a harder tiome than expected against Brandon on the final round without her; Zapdos nearly destroyed my record lol. Slaking is by far my favorite 'Mon to use here; it's such a fast and bulky powerhouse that KO nearly anything, which helps against both wilds and unexpected trainer battles alike. You may notice I rotate between two Slakings; one with Return as its main STAB and another with Double-Edge. I used to go with the Return variant more often as the recoil from Double-Edge adds up fast but the later is more useful against trainer battle on the Ghost, Rock, and Steel rounds where I can't hit the wild 'Mons with Normal STAB anyway.

As mentioned I also found Perish Singers to be useful here against Double Teamers and hard to break walls like Cradily and Umbreon. I woudl encourage you all to try it yourselves if walls, defensive stat boosters, and/or DT spam is giving you trouble. And there you have it, fellow trainers. A new record for me. Pic for proof.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello, how are you?, here I am making a second post about my record in the Battle Dome Singles, currently I have managed to reach a streak of 28 consecutive tournaments! That's right, I have played on an emulator because I have no other way to play this game that I have had since childhood and now it catches my attention to play. Pd: My English is a little bad, I hope you understand each other, I wanted to know if the top ranked is still updating too :)

TEAM:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Torment
- Toxic
- Sand Attack

Slaking @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball

Milotic @ Focus Band
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

The strategy is very simple, Slaking is the pokemon that always starts the fight, trying to damage the opponent or delibit him with a single blow, whatever the case may be, skarmory is a pokemon that wears down using Toxic and Torment, so that the opponent does not use a move effective and can protect itself in the turn it uses it, Milotic is also attrition, but since it is a water type it can deal with dragon type pokemon thanks to the fact that it learns Ice Beam and has good defenses.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-28 at 1.42.50 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-28 at 1.42.50 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-28 at 1.42.50 PM(2).jpeg

My defeat was against an Espeon that had two Calm minds, the play was this, I started with Slaking who was slower than a Starmie, which took away a lot of Hp with a Hydro Pump, but since it was Slaking I used Shadow Ball and ended up weakening it , then I took out Espeon that when I made the change from Slaking to Milotic, Espeon used a Calm Mind, Milotic tried to use Hydro Pump, but failed, Espeon used his second Calm Mind before that, it was faster than my two pokemon, then with Psychic, he weakened my Milotic with a single hit with a critical, and since Slaking was slower than Espeon and had half health, he couldn't hold it. And this led me to defeat.

Karmaloop3

formerly Jim Bailey
Someone help me with the Speed EVs on Swampert, Latios, and Metagross

Sampert @ Leftovers
31/31/31/31/31/5
Relaxed Nature
Ice Beam
Surf
Earthquake
Protect

Latios @ Lum Berry
31/x/31/31/31/31
Timid Nature
Calm Mind
Dragon Claw
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Metagross @ Choice Band
31/31/31/x/31/31
Adamant Nature
Meteor Mash
Explosion
Shadow Ball
Earthquake

Sampert @ Leftovers
31/31/31/31/31/5
Relaxed Nature
Ice Beam
Surf
Earthquake
Protect

Latios @ Lum Berry
31/x/31/31/31/31
Timid Nature
Calm Mind
Dragon Claw
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Metagross @ Choice Band
31/31/31/x/31/31
Adamant Nature
Meteor Mash
Explosion
Shadow Ball
Earthquake
Are you asking for EV spread suggestions? Swampert can be custom tailored but it’s most effective at being a physical wall that can also hit back with decent power. I use that exact move set and nature with a spread of 248 HP / 206 Def / 54 Sp. Def

For Metagross I run Adamant with
252 Attack / 184 HP / 72 Speed. This makes it decently bulky while being a little fast.

Latios 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP. I suppose you could take a little out of speed and put some into HP for a little bit of bulk.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

Sampert @ Leftovers
31/31/31/31/31/5
Relaxed Nature
Ice Beam
Surf
Earthquake
Protect

Latios @ Lum Berry
31/x/31/31/31/31
Timid Nature
Calm Mind
Dragon Claw
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Metagross @ Choice Band
31/31/31/x/31/31
Adamant Nature
Meteor Mash
Explosion
Shadow Ball
Earthquake
Are you asking for EV spread suggestions? Swampert can be custom tailored but it’s most effective at being a physical wall that can also hit back with decent power. I use that exact move set and nature with a spread of 248 HP / 206 Def / 54 Sp. Def

For Metagross I run Adamant with
252 Attack / 184 HP / 72 Speed. This makes it decently bulky while being a little fast.

Latios 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP. I suppose you could take a little out of speed and put some into HP for a little bit of bulk.
To add to this, the spreadsheet linked in the first post is extremely useful for speed tiers - you can arrange everything in the Frontier by speed and check the relevant numbers you want to hit. For instance, if the max possible Speed one of your Pokemon can hit is 300 but only 3 opponents in the Frontier are at 300 Speed, with a much larger number instead sitting at 298 Speed, you might want to shift EVs around as it might only be worth you hitting 299 to outrun the latter group. It's useful for fast and slow Pokemon - for instance, I ran a team with a Marowak a while ago and while Marowak is quite slow, a minimal speed investment allows it to outrun all of the Regi trio even with a neutral nature.

Karmaloop3

formerly Jim Bailey
To add to this, the spreadsheet linked in the first post is extremely useful for speed tiers - you can arrange everything in the Frontier by speed and check the relevant numbers you want to hit. For instance, if the max possible Speed one of your Pokemon can hit is 300 but only 3 opponents in the Frontier are at 300 Speed, with a much larger number instead sitting at 298 Speed, you might want to shift EVs around as it might only be worth you hitting 299 to outrun the latter group. It's useful for fast and slow Pokemon - for instance, I ran a team with a Marowak a while ago and while Marowak is quite slow, a minimal speed investment allows it to outrun all of the Regi trio even with a neutral nature.
Yeah, I saw the Level 100 speed tier. Didn't see a level 50 speed tier though.

So I just found out this thread exists, and figured I'd wander in as I can do something mentioned in the OP, or at least ask if you already have it.

You guys know about my AI docs? I don't think you have them from a quick search? I'm linking them here anyway, started work at an updated move one which is slightly less tailored to Emerald Kaizo which is what these were originally made for. These however essentially document the AI in full. The switching logic is less relevant when you don't know what they have in the back, but like, if you know their moveset you can calculate by hand the exact chances for which move will be used with these. If you know what they have in the back you could know what they'd switch to, or if they'll switch on you.

AI move choice
AI midfight switching
AI post KO switching

If you already know about these no worries, but figured I'd double check as these have the answers to essentially every question about how the AI works in emerald.

It's me, the Doc again. Posting a new record for the Battle Pyramid after another 20 rounds, bringing me to 980 floors. I won't bore you all with what I used for every floor this time but here are my troopers who got me to the top, and through Brandon, on the final round. I tend to challenge the Pyramid when I have bad luck everywhere else, like trying to a win the 100 Golden Shield in the Battle Tower or going for the gold in the Battle Factory, the one gold badge I still lack, and that's a lot considering how many floors I've thus far cleared lol. I may just beat Cody "The Machine's" record. I plan to keep going til I lose. Proof attached. Also this was done on an authentic cartridge.

289.png

("King Louie")
Return, Hyper Beam, Shadow Ball, Earthquake

260.png

("Wipeout")
248 HP / 206 Defense / 54 Sp. Def.

94.png

("Dirge")
248 HP / 200 Speed / 60 Sp. Def.
Perish Song, Protect, Destiny Bond, Night Shade

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi, I’m Tinto and I’ve played Pokémon casually, mostly just single player up to gen3, even though I’ve been playing a bit on Pokémon Showdown in the last years. I’ve always been intrigued by the Emerald Battle Frontier – I think of it as a perfect post-game concept, which can keep single players engaged almost indefinitely. The Battle Factory stands out for me, as it doesn’t require any RNG tricks for good IV’s and natures or minitious EV training and moveset planning - just plug and play. Also, since the whole teambuilding aspect (which adds endless degrees of freedom) is left out, it’s possible – or at least easier - to play optimally. it’s like have a premium experience (playing with 31 IV mons, including legendaries) with a free package. Yes, I only play on my original cartridge, which I got as a child.

I’d like to submit a level 50 Battle Factory streak of 139. I presume this is not the real world record, since LRXC got to 155 a few weeks before (but is not listed here).

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-10 at 23.32.40.jpeg

First I’ll write a bit about strategy in general and why I consider to have more or less ‘solved’ the Battle Factory. Then I’ll talk about the run and finally I’ll write up a personal conclusion. I hope you will enjoy reading!

Credits

Before I start, I’d like to credit some people and sites for their work without which this run was never possible:
  • LRXC: watching your stream inspired me and helped me to get ready for my run – congrats on your World Record of 155!
  • Adedede: the videos of your Battle Tower run (like this one) inspired me to get back in to Pokémon a few years ago!
  • turskain (and Honko) for the Battle Tree Damage Calculator
  • Hozu for their spreadsheet
  • The person who made the ‘AI Move Choice Analysis’ doc.
  • Bulbapedia’s Battle Factory page
  • Wildcat_Formation and other writers for their tips and tricks

About the Battle Factory

In this part I’ll mainly discuss aspects specific to the Battle Factory, together with necessary knowledge of the Battle Frontier and gen3 battle mechanics. First: I’ll boldly state: Battle Factory is solvable and 139 is by far not the maximum viable streak. As a child, I always had troubles with the Battle Factory and could not even obtain the gold symbol. However, once I became aware of all internet sources, it became doable. After all, in the Battle Factory ‘your knowledge is put to the test’ – and you should use all the knowledge you can get!

I presume readers are aware of Battle Frontier mechanics – it’s advisable to keep Bulbapedia’s Battle Factory, Hozu’s spreadsheet and turskain’s Battle Tree Damage Calculator close at hand while reading.

Battle Factory specifics

Of course, being limited to the pokémon offered at the draft and swaps, is a big drawback. However, the Battle Factory also has some advantages:

• The ‘type’ and ‘style’ phrases that the assistants gives you before the battle. Together with item clause, the move style charts available often allows you to plan a battle multiple steps ahead, even after your opponent only sent out their first pokémon.
  • The ‘3 IV bug’ – the fact that (after round 6, apart from round 9) you will have 31 IV mons in your draft, while your opponents have 3 IV mon (apart from the last trainer each round, they have 6 IV mons – Silver Noland 15 IV and Gold Noland 31 IV) is HUGE. The fact that all six stats are typically 10-20 points higher make a huge difference in the damage calculator. It’s as if your lvl 100 mons are battling lvl 94-95-96 mons (if they’d have 31 IV’s). The speed stat also deserves special mention, since 31 IVs will allow you to surpass many 3 IV mons on the speed tier you otherwise wouldn’t.
Combine these with the Battle Frontier damage calculator and the exploitability of the AI and you’ve got all tools in hand to go far.

For more information, watch the excellent Battle Factory Guide by LRXC (with all sources in the video description).

Battle Factory strategy

Throughout battling in the Factory, I’ve developed a conceptual way of thinking which greatly helped me. Since your opponent is highly unlikely to switch, a battle is not an ordinary 3v3: rather it starts with a 3v1, then 3-x versus 1 and then 3-x-y versus 1, where x and y are the losses you suffer versus your opponent’s first and second mon, respectively. The challenge is to choose x and y (of course, here you are subject to RNG) such to have maximum chances to beat the last of your opponents mon. This is basically what is meant by ‘win condition’. Examples of a win condition are:

• Having a fully set-up mon who can sweep;
  • Having a 2v1 in which you can explode or d-bond;
  • Having a 2v1 or 3v1 in which you can land a few big hits since your mons are bulky or outspeed;
  • Having a winning 1v1 match-up based on your knowledge of the last mon your opponent will send out, based on the type and style phrases and item clause.
In my view, the search for the win condition makes competitive Pokémon so intruiging, together with the uncertainty of RNG. It’s the choice between sacking two weakest mons to keep your strongest mons on healthy vs sacking your strongest mon to have a shot with two weaker mons. And the answer is? It depends! (unless of course, you know exactly what other mons your opponent has, which is actually possible in the Factory!)

With this in mind, it’s time to look at the defining aspect of the Battle Factory: drafting.

Drafting

It was Adedede who inspired me with his seemingly endless Battle Tower run. His mantra is that a defensive backbone is the key to consistency – when he has stalls out his opponent, he always mentions that his team is at full health. Therefore, longevity of your team is in important trait to search for in the initial draft. With healing moves or leftovers it’s easier to recover from hax and also: the longer a battle takes, the more you can exploit the AI. It’s Adedede’s basic recipe: stall out your opponent’s moves with one mon, then switch to a set-up sweeper and wipe your opponent.

Next, I’d like to discuss what I call quality. Because of course, type synergy between Ampharos, Altaria, Glalie might be good, but this team still doesn’t sound strong. Most players will understand that Metagross and Salamence are generally strong mons, that Ursaring can be strong (looking at you, Ursaring3) and that Shiftry is generally bad. Since the Battle Frontier has a limited set of mons, it’s a bit of a different ball game than in competitve ADV (most notably not Ttar in lvl. 50) and one has to challenge one’s preconceptions and therefore rate mons again. However, it’s hard to quantify ‘quality’ (duh), but I will nevertheless list characteristics and try to order them with most important on top:

MOVES: more important than anything are a mon’s moves. A good mon with bad moves is a bad mon, but a (generally) bad mon with good moves can provide utility.
  • Leech Seed: since the opponent doesn’t switch out, this move is quite OP in the Battle Frontier. Ludicolo, Meganium and Venusaur are great users, since they combine it with Double Team – they are able to set up against a lot of pokémon and can often solo the rest of the battle.
  • Double team(+healing): if a mon can set up dt and has a way of healing, it is often possible to start a cycle until +6 evasion with full health. Can be used to either solo with the dt mon or to stall moves and let another mon come in and sweep. Notable users: above-mentioned seeders, Articuno2, Blissey1, Claydol2, Crobat2, Dusclops2, Entei1, Gardevoir2, Machamp7, Metagross3, Regice4, Regirock4(?), Registeel56, Shuckle234, Snorlax1, Suicune12, Tauros2, Umbreon4
  • Toxic and Will-O-Wisp: can kill a lot of mons, among which stallers (dt users) which depend on leftovers. Makes even Xatu2 viable in some teams.
  • Explosion/Destiny Bond: speaks for itself – Explosion preferably on a fast mon, so you always have a chance to use it, such as Electrode34. Destiny Bond practically guarantees a win in any 2v1 situation.
  • Strong, accurate STAB move (+95 base power) from EV and nature-boosted stat (150-200 range). Earthquake, Double-Edge, Frustratrion, Thunderbolt, Surf, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Focus Punch. If these moves come from 31IV mons, they will most likely to 1HKO or 2HKO any neutral target – simple and strong. Special mention for Overheat, Megahorn and Meteor Mash – these moves still have sufficient accuracy to render usage. Rock Slide is already a borderline case for me – less base power and users are generally slow.
  • Confuse Ray, Attract, Thunder Wave, Sleep moves: some mons have a good combination, eg Starmie15 and Gengar1. Does not win battles for you, but may help to stall or set up.
  • Dragon Dance, Calm Mind, Bulk Up, Curse, Swords Dance: also speaks for itself – however, in practice a set-up mon needs some support. Exception is Gyarados4, which can rest – still, is it walled by Gengar, Misdreavus and Skarmory.
  • Substitute: can have great utility in combination with dt or another set-up move. May also induce some buggy AI.
  • Also: inaccurate moves are a minus: I hate Mega Kick and Iron Tail – also Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Thunder and Cross Chop are unreliable. These should only be used for contingencies.
ABILITY: important aspect of gen3 battling, may be used in various ways. Since some mons may have two abilities, this can split the difference between a good mon and a great mon. To list a few important ones:
  • Intimidate: use ideally on first mon sent into battle create immediate advantage or make it easier to switch. Can be used repeatedly throughout a battle to stall.
  • Levitate: speaks for itself, EQ immunity is huge, mostly for switching.
  • Natural Cure: great ability for Starmie and Blissey – their other ability doesn’t add much.
  • Pressure: ideal for stalling.
  • Blaze, Torrent, Overgrow: tricky to use reliably, but can play a big role. Charizard and Typhlosion can pull off some magic at low HP because of their great speed tier.
ITEM: can add great value. Some items are reliable (lefties, choice band, chesto, lum), other might be helpful in a pinch (QC, BP, FB, KR, Scope). To highlight two of them:
  • Leftovers: by far the most important, helps to keep your team healthy and provides more flexilibity with switching. If you have two leftovers mons, is it possible to lose?
  • CB: great item for your first mon – basically all of them are good because they will generate KOs. And the tricksters will trick.
  • Salac berry: added value depends on the mon. Notable users: Blaziken, Typhlosion in combination with Blaze and Gardevoir for Dbond. STAB Flail or Reversal can also work.
STATS: stats are still an important indicator. Any stat of about 200 is amazing, 150 is great, 100 is good, below that is doesn’t add much.
  • Speed may be most important one: it simply allows you to use more moves, to move before getting statused, before your opponent gets a boost, etc. A mon with a good speed stat provides reliability because you know it will be able to use a move.
  • Sweepers are more dependent on good stats than stallers – their damage purely depends on the number, while for status moves it makes no difference.
TYPING: nothing much to say here: immunities and also normal resists are great.

So how to take all of these characteristics into account when drafting? I suggest to simply count how much of good traits a mon has and give bonus for any good combination of the above-mentioned characteristics. For example:
  • Ludicolo4 with Rain Dish: three great moves with Leech Seed, Toxic and Double Team, while Rain Dance in conjunction with Rain Dish is also great. Best item with Leftovers and good defensive stats (176HP, 122DEF, 141SP.DEF). 90 speed, which lets it outspeed 270 3IV mons (and is outsped by 240). Excellent typing with no weaknesses in the special spectrum and only two rare weaknesses (flying, bug), for which can be easily switched out to a rock or steel type. So these are at least six strong points, which also nice combine to be a great staller.
You can do this for each mon in your draft and this way decide which is or are the best. Then, you try to cover their weaknesses and/or find the best way to support them. Ludicolo4 needs to be able to switch out of Megahorns and Drill Pecks and it needs a partner who can beat grass/poison types, since Ludicolo4 cannot hurt them. If you can fulfill these conditions, you already have a pretty great team.

Of course, life doesn’t always give you lemons and that means sometimes you have to adapt. If there are no great mons in your draft, then look for type synergy: a basic concept, but it cannot be mentioned enough. A base rule that I use is: if any move threatens to OHKO a mon, make sure it is resisted by another mon. Example: if you have a mono electric (who practically all die to EQ), make sure to have a flying type of levitator. Since the AI is programmed to always use a move that kills, this even guarantees a safe switch. If you use Flygon or Salamence, make sure to have a mon who resists ice. Or, if you use a mono water, be sure to have grass and electric resistances.

I should specially mention type immunities here, because a good type combination by itself sometimes already allowes you to stall out an opponent. For example, with a combination of normal and a ghost mon, you can stall out any opponent which has only normal, fighting & ghost moves by switching! There are quite a few, eg Slaking2, Snorlax13458. Just by virtue of it’s immunities (let alone its other qualities), Gengar is a great mon.

Also, try to cover some general threats that you may face. Ask yourself the question: can I deal with STAB Tbolts, DE and EQ? Can I put enough pressure on OHKO users to quickly get rid of them? Can I beat dt users? Sometimes high-power, low-accuracy moves may be the only way to answer these last two questions.

Choosing your lead is important and may depend on several factors: which item does a mon hold? What ability does it have? What is its role in the team? Is it easy to switch out? This usually requires some thorough thinking and it’s good to simulate some battle scenarios before choosing a lead. CB holders are typically most effective in the lead slot because this ensures they can get a first hit of without taking initial damage by switching in. In general, sweepers do well as a lead for this reason. Along the same line, defensive or stall mons are good switch-ins. They are able to take a hit, heal back and in this way leave your sweeper unharmed. Intimidate users are also great as a lead, this gives an immediate advantage and also gives them a better chance to re-enter the battle at a later stage. For set-up mons it depends: if they set up to sweep, they do well in the lead slot, but if they set up to stall, it could be better to try and battle your opponent with your other mons until you’ve found the perfect set-up opportunity.

Swapping

After each battle, you get a chance to swap one of mons in your team with one of your previous opponent. In principle, swapping a mon from the initial draft is a bad thing because of the worse IVs. Therefore, there should always be a convincing reason to swap. To list a few possible reasons:
  • The substitute is simply stronger than your initial draft pick, even at 3IVs.
  • The substitute provides better synergy with your team - this is usually the most valid reason, as it may occur that not all team weaknesses can be covered from the initial draft.
  • The substitute excels against the type preference of the upcoming trainer. It's tempting to go for a water type swap if your next opponent prefers fire types. However, you should think twice whether this swap also benefits your team in the long run - it's all about consistency, after all. Only if your team really runs a big risk against the opcoming opponent, a swap is warranted.
Remember that during round 1 and 2 you should swap every round to gain at least one elevation from round 4 onwards. In the first rounds, it's a bit more forgiving to swap, since the IV difference with the draft is smaller (in the draft mons have 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 21 IVs in rounds 1 to 6, and 31 after that). You'll see in The Run that there were at least 7 rounds in which I didn't swap at all - this is the ideal scenario to optimise your chances against the last trainer, who will have 6IVs, or 15 or 31 in case of Silver/Gold Noland.

Note: the same mon can be either weak or strong depending on whether you or the AI uses it. For your own team, I'd define pokes as either '(un)useful' and '(un)reliable', while the AI's mons can be '(un)predictable' and '(not) dangerous)'. One of the most paradoxal mons is Gengar1: in hands of the AI it's super weak, since it can be swap-stalled ('predictable' and 'not dangerous'), while in your hands, it's very useful and quite reliable (given that you get enough turns for Hypnosis to hit). Quick Claw en Scope are not very reliable and useful for the player, but can be dangerous in the hand of the AI. They only need one or two activations to end your run - the same holds for OHKO users. Who hasn't had any Battle Frontier run killed by QC Horn Drill?

Takeaway: always think carefully after a battle whether that mon that almost killed you is in fact useful and try to consider whether an easy to beat mon could still be helpful in your hands. But most of all: be mindful of your strong IV pokes!

The Run

I haven’t kept minitious records of each round, just the teams I used. I will briefly go through them.

Rounds 1-2-3: no records. Rounds 1 and 2 can basically be auto-piloted, since the AI is random, Round 3 is more fun, preparing you for the real deal. It’s important to swap after each battle in rounds 1 and 2, so you will get at least one elevation for the upcoming rounds.

Round 4: Ludicolo2 etc.

My elevation was Ludicolo2, which can overpower most mons with its 15IVs and great coverage. Didn’t remember the rest of the team, probably they didn’t have to do too much.

Round 5: Tauros2, Hypno2--> Alakazam2, Milotic2 - 35 wins, 21 swaps.

One absolute elite mon with Tauros2 (great ability, powerful, set-up and healing), whose fighting weakness is covered by Hypno2 (whose ghost weakness in turn is covered by Tauros). Milotic2 is not defensive but is modest with 255 SpATK EVs (and 15IVs), which makes it hit hard with Surf and Ice Beam. Changed Hypno2 for Alakazam2 to hit fighting types back harder and not be reliant on Hypnosis accuracy.

round 6: Milotic4, Electabuzz3, Victreebel3 42 wins, 22 swaps.

Yes, I used Victreebel. And Electabuzz. On one team. And it beat Noland Gold! How on earth, you might think. Of course, the IVs (31 on Milotic, 21 on Electa and Vic) help a lot. But mostly it’s because Milotic4 is so strong: with DEF&Sp.DEF investmest, Recover AND Leftovers it’s almost unkillable. It still has a modest nature with ASLO Sp.ATK investment, so it still hits pretty hard. All that was needed was good support to cover weaknesses and things it couldn’t kill. Victreebel could effortlessly switch into Thunderbolts and Grass moves and either kill with dual coverage or double to Electabuzz (or paralyze with Stun Spore if nothing works). Electabuzz in itself has pretty good utility with a strong and fast STAB Thunderbolt, and coverage with Ice and Fire Punch. This let it deal with the water mons Milotic couldn’t kill and Cross Chop in the last slot would help against Blissey3 and Snorlax3 (even though those last two can perfectly well be handled by Milotic4).

I don’t remember the Gold battle very well, but I remember Milotic dropped at some point, so I was left with Vic and Electabuzz only. A funny moment occurred when Vic had to use Ingrain against the 2nd mon, but then I wanted to switch on the 3rd mon, but of course I couldn’t. Luckily Electabuzz was able to win.

round 7: Ursaring4, Arcanine4, Shuckle4 49 wins, 23 swaps

This was a really fun team to play with. The damage outputs of Ursaring’s STAB DE of its 200 ATK stat and Arcanine’s STAB Overheat are just insane. Both mons have also plenty of other coverage. And if something dangerous turned up, Arcanine could lower it’s attack with Intimidate and there was always Shuckle in the back who can 1v1 most mons (note that also in these match-ups the difference between 3 and 31IV helps a lot) or at least stall them out, if they would be toxic immune.

round 8: Metagross4, Regice1, Ludicolo2 --> Latias1 56 wins, 25 swaps

Metagross4 and Regice1 in the 31IV draft is amazing. Together they provide great coverage and Regice even heals. However, fire attacks are a shared weakness which cannot be underestimated with a lot of STAB Overheats and Fire Blasts around. That’s why Ludicolo2 could make a return from round 3 to simply Surf these mons away. But then, when Latias1 turns up, why not just take it? It has better stats even at 3IVs and a fire resistance.

round 9: Hariyama4, Feraligatr2--> Dusclops2, Marowak2--> Regice4 63 wins, 28 swaps

This was rather a problematic draft. Marowak2 isn’t great here because it generally doesn’t get the chance to use SD and sweep, because it’s slow – also Icy Wind doesn’t do much (still it can one-shot a lot with EQ). Therefore it was clear that Hariyama4 had to be the pivotal mon and boy did it deliver. Cross Chop is risky, but it didn’t have to rely on that alone: with a 189 ATK stat even Fake Out does significant damage to a lot of mons. Therefore it can Fake Out, kill, switch out, switch in later, Fake Out again and perhaps hit another time. I chose Feraligatr2 probably as best among the worst – it has coverage and a Torrent Surf still hits quite hard, I guess.

Luckily I could quickly switch Feraligatr for Dusclops2, also one of the best mons in the Factory to have as a switch-in. Its moves don’t depend on stats and even with 3IV it’s bulk and typing is great. With Protect, Confuse Ray, Double Team, Leftovers AND the Pressure ability it’s an ultimate staller. Toxic is just bonus, but a great bonus.

Later I came across Regice4, who ALSO has Double Team and Leftovers. It’s not Sp.ATK invested, so it should rather kill with Hail than with Ice Beam. It’s a super slow team (both considering speed stats and tactics), but still fun to play, each time figuring out whether Dusclops or Regice would be the mon to use and how to keep both healthy for the next mon.

One battle in particular, I think it was round 6, was interesting – this trainer had no type preference. If I remember correctly, the first mon was Water/Ice, probably Lapras or Dewgong, which beat Hariyama (probably with an OHKO) – I managed to revenge it with Dusclops, but then Tentacruel showed up. Since there had now been two Water mons out while having no type preference, this meant that the last mon HAD TO BE either Poison or Ice. Quite tricky, since my only moves to kill were Toxic on Dusclops and Hail on Regice! Therefore, I had to keep BOTH alive. It was quite a challenge, but I managed to do it with some manoevering. When this succeeds, seeing that the last mon is indeed poison or ice (tbh I don’t remember which it was anymore – vaguely I thought that Walrein played a role, but it would have forced preference for water type) is very satisfying

round 10: Latios1, Regirock1, Registeel1 70 wins, 29 swaps.

Nothing much to say, 31IV Latios1 is already a gift from heaven and Regirock1 and Registeel1 are great switch-ins. Regirock even provides extra utility with Explosion and Registeel1 is humbly one of the most reliable mons in the Factory: if it gets two or three turns to set up, it will set up all the way and Metal Claws do hurt at +6.

round 11: Starmie6, Entei3--> Machamp2, Swampert4 77 wins, 29 swaps.

Don’t remember much from this round, but I can imagine that Starmie6 just will not die with Recover and Leftovers. It will precook its opponents with Twave and Confuse Ray, after which Entei3 (later Machamp2, which also has healing) and Swampert4 can clean up. Example of using your strongest mon to repeatly support sweepers.

round 12: Granbull4, Gengar7, Swampert3 84 wins, 32 swaps.

Three excellent sweepers: Granbull4 gets extra punch from CB and has extra utility with Intimidate – Gengar 7 doesn’t need any extra punch whatsoever with its 200 Sp.ATK stat and has great extra utility with Dbond, being virtually always able to beat at least 2 mons. Swampert is just Swampert.

round 13: Raikou3--> Medicham2, Snorlax4, Kingdra4 91 wins, 34 swaps.

Not a great team at first glance. Raikou3 has a hard-hitting Tblot, Twave and some extra utility with Roar. Snorlax4 has good match-ups vs special attackers, but Kingdra4 is the star of the team: it has great defensive qualities and healing, which gives it time to set up DDs. Its only weakness (dragon) is nicely covered by shooting Ice Beams to OHKO most Dragon Claw users. I don’t remember at which point Medicham2 came in, perhaps to adjust for a trainer a preference for Ground types. It’s plan is simple: Endure, Salac and STAB Reversal.

round 14: Entei2, Meganium2, Lapras7 98 wins, 35 swaps

Classic Fire-Grass-Water/Ice synergy to cover each others weaknesses. As mentioned above, Meganium2 can often solo its way through enemies with Leech Seed and set-up. Entei2 can support this with Reflect. Lapras7 is a bit of an oddball with it’s OHKO-only moveset, but is very hard to kill with its defensive investment and free Rest.

I wrote down that I was in danger vs a team of Gyarados1, Latios23 and Salamence8. These mons have to be treated most carefully because of their many dangerous sets. Probably I switch to Meganium turn 1 and then Gyarados could Twave and started setting up DDs – I vaguely remember to survive only because it stopped attacking at some point. Probably it was also the only battle in which Lapras really had to do work. Interestingly enough, I didn’t take any of these mons, because it wouldn’t support the team strategy centering Meganium.

round 15: Tauros2, Starmie4, Moltres2--> Regirock2--> Typhlosion4 105 wins 38 swaps

Tauros2 and Starmie4 are simple enough to understand (Starmie’s Psychic covers Tauros’s weakness), Moltres2 is a bit more remarkable. It has some utility as a Pressure staller with DT and Protect, but lacks defensive investment and healing. At the same time its STAB Overheat from its 177 Sp.ATK stat just hits hard. I don’t recall why exactly I made the swaps – perhaps based on type preference of the next trainer. Regirock2 has utility with Explosion and Typhlosion4 has a huge Overheat in a pinch.

round 16: Slaking3, Slowking2, Sceptile3--> Gengar8 112 wins, 40 swaps.

CB Slaking3 can KO a lot on turn one and usually come back in later to do the same. Slowking2 supports it by crippling its opponet with Yawn or Twave and at the same time can hit hard with STAB Surf and Psychic. Sceptile3 is a bit odd, but helps against opponents raining Tbolts all over. Gengar8 is great even with 3IVs, still hitting hard and being fast with Dbonds – also, it has great type synergy with Slaking.

round 17: Machamp7, Aggron1-->Regice4, Meganium3-->Gyarados3-->Umbreon4 119 wins, swaps

I recall this being a really problematic draft. I figured that Machamp7 was my ace, and had to build my team around it – that’s where the odd choice of Aggron1 come from, a mon that doesn’t have many qualities in isolation. Here, it performs the role of switching into psychic and flying moves Machamp would have trouble setting up against. Meganium3 as a physical attacker is also quite strange, but apparently the best available. In such a case you have to be a bit lucky in the first battles and slowly try to improve your team with swaps.

Here, all swaps support Machamp: Regice4 is great at stalling special attackers, Gyarados3 softens physical attackers with Intimidate and with Umbreon4 suddenly my team had become quite OP: triple DT, double leftovers, good type synergy. The satisfaction is great when you stall out the opposing mon, fully set-up 6dt’s and a sub with Machamp and start unleashing STAB Focus Punches from its 200 ATK stat!

round 18: Espeon4, Snorlax6, Meta2 126 wins, 45 swaps.

After a problematic round 17, it was nice to take a bit of a breather in this round. Espeon4 ranks among the strongest, easiest to use mons in the Factory: its STAB Psychic from its 200Sp.ATK stat kills a lot – if it doesn’t, it will after a CM. Anything Espeon cannot handle, Snorlax6 or Metagross2 can probably deal with. Note that Metagross is good here as a normal resist, to deal with STAB DE’s.

round 19: Metagross6, Crobat2, Flygon3 133 wins, 46 swaps.

I think Crobat is really cool and I like to use a staller because of their reliability, but Crobat2’s bulk isn’t as great as other stallers. However, it’s speed partly makes up for that. Luckily, it worked well enough since it was flanked by two great mons. Together Metagross6 and Flygon3 have great coverage together (this Meta lacks EQ). With Metagross as a starter on threatening EQ’s you can switch to Crobat, while in case of fire moves you switch to Flygon.

Once I got in danger vs Salamence5, Fearow1 and Gyarados3. Salamence beat Metagross, but was revenged (probably by Flygon). Fearow damaged my team some more and then came Gyarados. It’s always hard to play around the four possible sets since it doesn’t have to many specific style moves. I remember that I confused it, but never hit itself 3 or 4 times in a row. I came close to defeat, but was able to just outdamage it.

round 20: Armaldo4, Electrode4, Snorlax3 --> Flygon4 139 wins, 1 loss 48 swaps.

There we are, the round which turned out to be the last one. The draft wasn’t easy with 4 electric mons (no Raikou or Zapdos). Luckily there was Armaldo4, about which I used to be skeptical since it’s so slow. But then again, it’s hit-taking abililty (it’s a joy to do calcs with Battle Armor, since for once you don’t have to worry about crits!) and raw power is great. Then Electrode4 is actually also a great mon. It may only be able to take one hit, but in return it can Tbolt twice to try to KO and then explode for a second KO. Snorlax3 was more of a sponge than anything else – Mega Kick is just bad and it has no healing. Drawback of this team is that it necessitates two mons alive for the endgame – only then Armaldo can use DE and Electrode can explode without drawbacks.

The first battle was quite problematic – even though ‘impossible to predict’ is usually good news (it’s often Alakazam3, or much better Clefable1). First mon was Flygon, who dealt some damage after being OHKO’ed by DE. The second mon was Scizor4, which pretty much walled Armaldo (who was locked into DE, to make things worse). It also was able to boost, so it was a very scary situation. In the end I had to sacrifice Electrode (pray that Explosion would bypass Brightpowder) and then Clefable1 came out. Usually a laughable mon, but Snorlax could only hit it with Mega Kick (if it would hit after some dt’s…). Armaldo was low on health but luckily still alive and I could survive.

I was glad to get rid of Snorlax for Flygon, which proved to be Flygon4. I had a few bad match-ups (like a Claydol lead) but actually made it to battle 7 quite swiftly. Perhaps a bit too swiftly, as I let my guard down…

Against the last trainer, you should always be a bit more on your toes, since they have 6IV pokes. The assistant gave no type or style preference. I’ll go through the battle in detail.

Trainer sent out Weezing!
Go! Armaldo!

Quite a bad match-up, Weezing has good defense and Armaldo has no super-effective move, nor have my other mons – Flygon cannot really hurt it. No style preference excludes Weezing2. I’m slower and list the move that will come:

Weezing1@BP will probably Will-O-Wisp and otherwise Shadow Ball or Smokescreen.
Weezing3@FB will either Flamethrower/Tbolt or (unlikely) Explode
Weezing4@FB will either Shadow Ball or (unlikely) Explode

I consider my options: 1. click DE; 2. click Rock Slide; 3. switch to Electrode. Electrode 2HKO’s with Tbolt, but S-ball and Sludge Bomb do 93.3-110% damage – I don’t want to risk Electrode so early, since this limits my options vs mon2 and mon3. Staying in is also risky, because wisp might cripple my Armaldo for the rest of the battle. Since Electrode holds Lum, it would very much welcome the wisp and basically have a free switch-in. I decide to click Rock Slide.

Foe Weezing used Will-O-Wisp!

It’s Weezing1…

Armaldo was burned!
Armaldo used Rock Slide!
Armaldo’s attack missed!
Armaldo is hurt by burn!

A horror scenario – Armaldo crippled on turn 1 without having done any damage myself.

Foe Weezing used Shadow Ball! (hits, 19.7-23.6%)
Armaldo used Rock Slide! (hits, 30.6-36.4%)
Armaldo is hurt by burn!

One more hit and at least Electrode will be able to revenge with a single Tbolt.

Armaldo used Rock Slide!
Armaldo’s attack missed!
Armaldo is hurt by burn!

Very bad, two misses with Rock Slide, but actually not inconceivable – brightpowder drops its accuracy to only 81%. I curse myself for not switching to Electrode on turn 1 and start a long thinking process to maximise my chances. Armaldo is now in range of S-ball, so this move is guaranteed. I can either sack Armaldo to maximise my chances to revenge with Electrode, or switch immediately to Electrode in order to hopefully survive a S-ball+Sludge Bomb with Electrode – with Armaldo alive Electrode could still explode on the last mon, if Flygon also perishes. Lastly, Flygon would 2HKO with D-Claw at this point, but would be severly hurt by two S-balls – and I don’t want to risk having a second mon burned… I think I make the optimal play.

Foe Weezing uses Shadow Ball! (hits)
Armaldo fainted!
Do it! Electrode!

Electrode used Thunderbolt! (hits, 57.2-67.9%)
Weezing’s attack missed!

Electrode used Thunderbolt! (hits)
Foe Weezing fainted!

Uff, that part went well, now it’s 2v2 – I’m lost my strongest mon, but the battle is still open.

Trainer sent out Victreebel!

Interesting. Actually, I can figure out which Victreebel it is, since 3 and 4 hold BP and 1 has a style ‘5’ move, leaving only Victreebel2@lefties. Electrode and Flygon are both faster, so I have some control over the next moves. However, Sleep Powder is very scary. Victreebel can do big damage with Sludge Bomb or use Sleep Powder.

One option is to just explode and hope Flygon can 1v1 the last mon – perhaps I would’ve if my Flygon had 31 IVs. But Flygon can do huge damage to Victreebel with EQ (and maybe Scope Lens will do work for once?

I can also use Tbolt to soak up a Sleep Powder with Lum and then switch and use EQ – however, that will not kill after two leftovers recoveries. Twave seems too risky, Victreebel can do too much damage with its attacks or still use Sleep Powder.

I decide to switch to Flygon – it can tank Sludge Bomb really well and Sleep Powder – it can miss.

Come back, Electrode!
Go, Flygon!
Victreebel used Sleep Powder!
Victreebel’s attack missed!

Perfect! Maybe now it will use Giga Drain, or even Attract (I’m opposite gender)?

Flygon uses Earthquake! (hit, 69.2-81.8%)
Victreebel used Sleep Power!
Flygon fell asleep!
Victreebel’s leftovers restored its HP a little.

Oh no. Now it will use Giga Drain for sure. It’s too late for switching to Electrode, because Giga Drain+Sludge Bomb kills and then I only have sleeping Flygon left. I have to burn sleep turns and hope it goes for Attract. If I wake up after 2 turns, I will still kill with EQ, after 3 turns it will have healed to much to kill with EQ, but then at least Electrode will return. If I wake up after 4 or 5 turns, it’s probably over…

Flygon is fast asleep.
Foe Victreebel used Giga Drain! (hit, 39.7-46.8%, 19.8-23.4% heal)

Flygon is fast asleep.

Bugger. Now I have to pray. After all that healing Victreebel is out of EQ range.

Flygon woke up!
Flygon used Earthquake! (hit, 69.2-81.8%)
Foe Victreebel used Giga Drain! (hit, 20hp damage, 10 hp heal)
Flygon fainted!

Go for it! Electrode!
Electrode used Thunderbolt! (hit, 36.3-43.3%)
Foe Victreebel fainted!

At least that worked out. 3v3 turned into 2v2 into 1v1. Now let’s pray there won’t be a ground type last.

Trainer sent out Dusclops!

Dusclops? Could be worse! Actually, there is only one without Leftovers, Dusclops4: Double-Edge, Shadow Ball, Curse, Rest. Not too scary! Checking the calcs: Tbolt will 3HKO, but S-ball has a 32.8% chance to 2HKO – still in my favor. Plus, it may use Curse, then I’ll win for sure!

Electrode used Thunderbolt! (hit, 38-45.5%)
Foe Dusclops used Shadow Ball! (hit, 100%)
A critical hit!
Electrode fainted!

AAAAAAH! Killed by a crit in the end (which also just killed 43.8% of the time)… But okay, that’s how I expected the run to end anyway – there have been situations before when I would lose to a crit, hax or a miss.

Analysis

But what bugs me a bit are my decisions in this last battle. Thinking back, on turn 1 I probably should’ve switched to Electrode – I didn’t do that, because if Weezing would use Shadow Ball, I wouldn’t know if it was Weezing1 or Weezing4. Then I would be in a rough spot, because I’d be in Sludge Bomb kill range of Weezing1 and Weezing4. I could proceed to Flygon turn 2, tank the Sludge Bomb and D-claw in return turn 3. Then Weezing1 would use wisp/S-ball/smokescreen and Weezing4 would use Frustration (or maybe Explosion). Again D-claw turn 4 –

• vs Weezing1 Flygon would live and kill the next turn (I would have Electrode with S-ball damage and Flygon with at least Sludge Bomb damage and possibly a burn).
  • vs Weezing4 Flygon would be killed by Frustration, but then Electrode would revenge kill, leaving me Electrode (with S-ball damage) and a healthy Armaldo. Then, blowing up vs Victreebel would make sense, because it would leave a 1v1 with Armaldo – indeed Armaldo beats Dusclops (and will not get crit!).
And if after the switch to Electrode turn one Weezing3 would use Flamethrower or Thunderbolt? I would always live a following Sludge Bomb (barring crits) and 2HKO with Tbolt, leaving me a 3v2, soon to be a 2v1.

Given the two Rock Slide misses, also turn 1 Double-Edge may have been a better option – but I didn’t want to lose HP for nothing.

As for the 2v2 situation, maybe I should have used Tbolt with Electrode (99.5% 3HKO) – on a Sleep Powder, Lum would activate and then only a consecutive Sleep Powder hit would prevent me from killing. Next I would switch to Flygon, taking a Sludge Bomb and revenge with EQ, leaving me a ~67% Flygon and a sleeping Electrode. If Victreebel would use Sludge Bomb turn 1, it would guaranteed see the kill next, providing a ‘safe’ switch-in (not risking Sleep Powder) for Flygon, which would ensure a free EQ. But as we saw in the battle, that doesn’t guarantee anything – I got to the same game state with a healthy Electrode instead. Under the assumption that the opponent would hit its moves, it’s not better than in the real battle, but if the opponent were to miss (as happened in the battle) it increases my chances.

Epilogue

I’ve enjoyed every bit of the run and it’s a bit like a childhood dream come true to set such a result. It’s so cool to encounter a new situation every round right from the draft and having to make your game plan, finetuning it across 7 battles. I realise that I was also quite lucky not to get fatally haxed at any earlier point in the run, but this also gave me some assurance that I knew what I was doing. After all, if you want to be consisent, you have to diminish your dependency on RNG as much as possible.

It’s a pity I lost after not playing optimally in the last battle, but I understand that this also proves another ‘human’ side such a challenge bears: to keep your patience, to carefully think through each move at each moment takes a lot of patience and perseverance. Therefore I do no only respect other challengers for their knowledge and skill, but also for these characteristics which will help you at any stage in life.

As for me, in a way I am happy that the run came to an end, since it’s also quite a commitment to keep finding time to play, stay patient and try your best. At the latest stages, I wouldn’t do more than one round per day and sometimes one round would take a few hours. I am quite busy otherwise and can’t reliably find this time without sacrificing something else.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in February which will bring another (first) priority in life. That’s why I consider this run to be my first and last commitment to Pokémon and in a way a wonderful goodbye to what has been a great childhood! May our child have the same experience with any Pokémon game (or any other of life’s joys)

If you have read so far, thank you, I hope you enjoyed it – at least for myself this write-up has been worthwhile, closing a period in my life. I hope to have inspired your on doing an run of your own and will try to beat this (and LRXC’s) record!

Last edited:

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Hi, I’m Tinto and I’ve played Pokémon casually, mostly just single player up to gen3, even though I’ve been playing a bit on Pokémon Showdown in the last years. I’ve always been intrigued by the Emerald Battle Frontier – I think of it as a perfect post-game concept, which can keep single players engaged almost indefinitely. The Battle Factory stands out for me, as it doesn’t require any RNG tricks for good IV’s and natures or minitious EV training and moveset planning - just plug and play. Also, since the whole teambuilding aspect (which adds endless degrees of freedom) is left out, it’s possible – or at least easier - to play optimally. it’s like have a premium experience (playing with 31 IV mons, including legendaries) with a free package. Yes, I only play on my original cartridge, which I got as a child.

I’d like to submit a level 50 Battle Factory streak of 139. I presume this is not the real world record, since LRXC got to 155 a few weeks before (but is not listed here).

View attachment 578375

First I’ll write a bit about strategy in general and why I consider to have more or less ‘solved’ the Battle Factory. Then I’ll talk about the run and finally I’ll write up a personal conclusion. I hope you will enjoy reading!

Credits

Before I start, I’d like to credit some people and sites for their work without which this run was never possible:
  • LRXC: watching your stream inspired me and helped me to get ready for my run – congrats on your World Record of 155!
  • Adedede: the videos of your Battle Tower run (like this one) inspired me to get back in to Pokémon a few years ago!
  • turskain (and Honko) for the Battle Tree Damage Calculator
  • Hozu for their spreadsheet
  • The person who made the ‘AI Move Choice Analysis’ doc.
  • Bulbapedia’s Battle Factory page
  • Wildcat_Formation and other writers for their tips and tricks

About the Battle Factory

In this part I’ll mainly discuss aspects specific to the Battle Factory, together with necessary knowledge of the Battle Frontier and gen3 battle mechanics. First: I’ll boldly state: Battle Factory is solvable and 139 is by far not the maximum viable streak. As a child, I always had troubles with the Battle Factory and could not even obtain the gold symbol. However, once I became aware of all internet sources, it became doable. After all, in the Battle Factory ‘your knowledge is put to the test’ – and you should use all the knowledge you can get!

I presume readers are aware of Battle Frontier mechanics – it’s advisable to keep Bulbapedia’s Battle Factory, Hozu’s spreadsheet and turskain’s Battle Tree Damage Calculator close at hand while reading.

Battle Factory specifics

Of course, being limited to the pokémon offered at the draft and swaps, is a big drawback. However, the Battle Factory also has some advantages:

• The ‘type’ and ‘style’ phrases that the assistants gives you before the battle. Together with item clause, the move style charts available often allows you to plan a battle multiple steps ahead, even after your opponent only sent out their first pokémon.
  • The ‘3 IV bug’ – the fact that (after round 6, apart from round 9) you will have 31 IV mons in your draft, while your opponents have 3 IV mon (apart from the last trainer each round, they have 6 IV mons – Silver Noland 15 IV and Gold Noland 31 IV) is HUGE. The fact that all six stats are typically 10-20 points higher make a huge difference in the damage calculator. It’s as if your lvl 100 mons are battling lvl 94-95-96 mons (if they’d have 31 IV’s). The speed stat also deserves special mention, since 31 IVs will allow you to surpass many 3 IV mons on the speed tier you otherwise wouldn’t.
Combine these with the Battle Frontier damage calculator and the exploitability of the AI and you’ve got all tools in hand to go far.

For more information, watch the excellent Battle Factory Guide by LRXC (with all sources in the video description).

Battle Factory strategy

Throughout battling in the Factory, I’ve developed a conceptual way of thinking which greatly helped me. Since your opponent is highly unlikely to switch, a battle is not an ordinary 3v3: rather it starts with a 3v1, then 3-x versus 1 and then 3-x-y versus 1, where x and y are the losses you suffer versus your opponent’s first and second mon, respectively. The challenge is to choose x and y (of course, here you are subject to RNG) such to have maximum chances to beat the last of your opponents mon. This is basically what is meant by ‘win condition’. Examples of a win condition are:

• Having a fully set-up mon who can sweep;
  • Having a 2v1 in which you can explode or d-bond;
  • Having a 2v1 or 3v1 in which you can land a few big hits since your mons are bulky or outspeed;
  • Having a winning 1v1 match-up based on your knowledge of the last mon your opponent will send out, based on the type and style phrases and item clause.
In my view, the search for the win condition makes competitive Pokémon so intruiging, together with the uncertainty of RNG. It’s the choice between sacking two weakest mons to keep your strongest mons on healthy vs sacking your strongest mon to have a shot with two weaker mons. And the answer is? It depends! (unless of course, you know exactly what other mons your opponent has, which is actually possible in the Factory!)

With this in mind, it’s time to look at the defining aspect of the Battle Factory: drafting.

Drafting

It was Adedede who inspired me with his seemingly endless Battle Tower run. His mantra is that a defensive backbone is the key to consistency – when he has stalls out his opponent, he always mentions that his team is at full health. Therefore, longevity of your team is in important trait to search for in the initial draft. With healing moves or leftovers it’s easier to recover from hax and also: the longer a battle takes, the more you can exploit the AI. It’s Adedede’s basic recipe: stall out your opponent’s moves with one mon, then switch to a set-up sweeper and wipe your opponent.

Next, I’d like to discuss what I call quality. Because of course, type synergy between Ampharos, Altaria, Glalie might be good, but this team still doesn’t sound strong. Most players will understand that Metagross and Salamence are generally strong mons, that Ursaring can be strong (looking at you, Ursaring3) and that Shiftry is generally bad. Since the Battle Frontier has a limited set of mons, it’s a bit of a different ball game than in competitve ADV (most notably not Ttar in lvl. 50) and one has to challenge one’s preconceptions and therefore rate mons again. However, it’s hard to quantify ‘quality’ (duh), but I will nevertheless list characteristics and try to order them with most important on top:

MOVES: more important than anything are a mon’s moves. A good mon with bad moves is a bad mon, but a (generally) bad mon with good moves can provide utility.
  • Leech Seed: since the opponent doesn’t switch out, this move is quite OP in the Battle Frontier. Ludicolo, Meganium and Venusaur are great users, since they combine it with Double Team – they are able to set up against a lot of pokémon and can often solo the rest of the battle.
  • Double team(+healing): if a mon can set up dt and has a way of healing, it is often possible to start a cycle until +6 evasion with full health. Can be used to either solo with the dt mon or to stall moves and let another mon come in and sweep. Notable users: above-mentioned seeders, Articuno2, Blissey1, Claydol2, Crobat2, Dusclops2, Entei1, Gardevoir2, Machamp7, Metagross3, Regice4, Regirock4(?), Registeel56, Shuckle234, Snorlax1, Suicune12, Tauros2, Umbreon4
  • Toxic and Will-O-Wisp: can kill a lot of mons, among which stallers (dt users) which depend on leftovers. Makes even Xatu2 viable in some teams.
  • Explosion/Destiny Bond: speaks for itself – Explosion preferably on a fast mon, so you always have a chance to use it, such as Electrode34. Destiny Bond practically guarantees a win in any 2v1 situation.
  • Strong, accurate STAB move (+95 base power) from EV and nature-boosted stat (150-200 range). Earthquake, Double-Edge, Frustratrion, Thunderbolt, Surf, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Focus Punch. If these moves come from 31IV mons, they will most likely to 1HKO or 2HKO any neutral target – simple and strong. Special mention for Overheat, Megahorn and Meteor Mash – these moves still have sufficient accuracy to render usage. Rock Slide is already a borderline case for me – less base power and users are generally slow.
  • Confuse Ray, Attract, Thunder Wave, Sleep moves: some mons have a good combination, eg Starmie15 and Gengar1. Does not win battles for you, but may help to stall or set up.
  • Dragon Dance, Calm Mind, Bulk Up, Curse, Swords Dance: also speaks for itself – however, in practice a set-up mon needs some support. Exception is Gyarados4, which can rest – still, is it walled by Gengar, Misdreavus and Skarmory.
  • Substitute: can have great utility in combination with dt or another set-up move. May also induce some buggy AI.
  • Also: inaccurate moves are a minus: I hate Mega Kick and Iron Tail – also Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Thunder and Cross Chop are unreliable. These should only be used for contingencies.
ABILITY: important aspect of gen3 battling, may be used in various ways. Since some mons may have two abilities, this can split the difference between a good mon and a great mon. To list a few important ones:
  • Intimidate: use ideally on first mon sent into battle create immediate advantage or make it easier to switch. Can be used repeatedly throughout a battle to stall.
  • Levitate: speaks for itself, EQ immunity is huge, mostly for switching.
  • Natural Cure: great ability for Starmie and Blissey – their other ability doesn’t add much.
  • Pressure: ideal for stalling.
  • Blaze, Torrent, Overgrow: tricky to use reliably, but can play a big role. Charizard and Typhlosion can pull off some magic at low HP because of their great speed tier.
ITEM: can add great value. Some items are reliable (lefties, choice band, chesto, lum), other might be helpful in a pinch (QC, BP, FB, KR, Scope). To highlight two of them:
  • Leftovers: by far the most important, helps to keep your team healthy and provides more flexilibity with switching. If you have two leftovers mons, is it possible to lose?
  • CB: great item for your first mon – basically all of them are good because they will generate KOs. And the tricksters will trick.
  • Salac berry: added value depends on the mon. Notable users: Blaziken, Typhlosion in combination with Blaze and Gardevoir for Dbond. STAB Flail or Reversal can also work.
STATS: stats are still an important indicator. Any stat of about 200 is amazing, 150 is great, 100 is good, below that is doesn’t add much.
  • Speed may be most important one: it simply allows you to use more moves, to move before getting statused, before your opponent gets a boost, etc. A mon with a good speed stat provides reliability because you know it will be able to use a move.
  • Sweepers are more dependent on good stats than stallers – their damage purely depends on the number, while for status moves it makes no difference.
TYPING: nothing much to say here: immunities and also normal resists are great.

So how to take all of these characteristics into account when drafting? I suggest to simply count how much of good traits a mon has and give bonus for any good combination of the above-mentioned characteristics. For example:
  • Ludicolo4 with Rain Dish: three great moves with Leech Seed, Toxic and Double Team, while Rain Dance in conjunction with Rain Dish is also great. Best item with Leftovers and good defensive stats (176HP, 122DEF, 141SP.DEF). 90 speed, which lets it outspeed 270 3IV mons (and is outsped by 240). Excellent typing with no weaknesses in the special spectrum and only two rare weaknesses (flying, bug), for which can be easily switched out to a rock or steel type. So these are at least six strong points, which also nice combine to be a great staller.
You can do this for each mon in your draft and this way decide which is or are the best. Then, you try to cover their weaknesses and/or find the best way to support them. Ludicolo4 needs to be able to switch out of Megahorns and Drill Pecks and it needs a partner who can beat grass/poison types, since Ludicolo4 cannot hurt them. If you can fulfill these conditions, you already have a pretty great team.

Of course, life doesn’t always give you lemons and that means sometimes you have to adapt. If there are no great mons in your draft, then look for type synergy: a basic concept, but it cannot be mentioned enough. A base rule that I use is: if any move threatens to OHKO a mon, make sure it is resisted by another mon. Example: if you have a mono electric (who practically all die to EQ), make sure to have a flying type of levitator. Since the AI is programmed to always use a move that kills, this even guarantees a safe switch. If you use Flygon or Salamence, make sure to have a mon who resists ice. Or, if you use a mono water, be sure to have grass and electric resistances.

I should specially mention type immunities here, because a good type combination by itself sometimes already allowes you to stall out an opponent. For example, with a combination of normal and a ghost mon, you can stall out any opponent which has only normal, fighting & ghost moves by switching! There are quite a few, eg Slaking2, Snorlax13458. Just by virtue of it’s immunities (let alone its other qualities), Gengar is a great mon.

Also, try to cover some general threats that you may face. Ask yourself the question: can I deal with STAB Tbolts, DE and EQ? Can I put enough pressure on OHKO users to quickly get rid of them? Can I beat dt users? Sometimes high-power, low-accuracy moves may be the only way to answer these last two questions.

Choosing your lead is important and may depend on several factors: which item does a mon hold? What ability does it have? What is its role in the team? Is it easy to switch out? This usually requires some thorough thinking and it’s good to simulate some battle scenarios before choosing a lead. CB holders are typically most effective in the lead slot because this ensures they can get a first hit of without taking initial damage by switching in. In general, sweepers do well as a lead for this reason. Along the same line, defensive or stall mons are good switch-ins. They are able to take a hit, heal back and in this way leave your sweeper unharmed. Intimidate users are also great as a lead, this gives an immediate advantage and also gives them a better chance to re-enter the battle at a later stage. For set-up mons it depends: if they set up to sweep, they do well in the lead slot, but if they set up to stall, it could be better to try and battle your opponent with your other mons until you’ve found the perfect set-up opportunity.

Swapping

After each battle, you get a chance to swap one of mons in your team with one of your previous opponent. In principle, swapping a mon from the initial draft is a bad thing because of the worse IVs. Therefore, there should always be a convincing reason to swap. To list a few possible reasons:
  • The substitute is simply stronger than your initial draft pick, even at 3IVs.
  • The substitute provides better synergy with your team - this is usually the most valid reason, as it may occur that not all team weaknesses can be covered from the initial draft.
  • The substitute excels against the type preference of the upcoming trainer. It's tempting to go for a water type swap if your next opponent prefers fire types. However, you should think twice whether this swap also benefits your team in the long run - it's all about consistency, after all. Only if your team really runs a big risk against the opcoming opponent, a swap is warranted.
Remember that during round 1 and 2 you should swap every round to gain at least one elevation from round 4 onwards. In the first rounds, it's a bit more forgiving to swap, since the IV difference with the draft is smaller (in the draft mons have 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 21 IVs in rounds 1 to 6, and 31 after that). You'll see in The Run that there were at least 7 rounds in which I didn't swap at all - this is the ideal scenario to optimise your chances against the last trainer, who will have 6IVs, or 15 or 31 in case of Silver/Gold Noland.

Note: the same mon can be either weak or strong depending on whether you or the AI uses it. For your own team, I'd define pokes as either '(un)useful' and '(un)reliable', while the AI's mons can be '(un)predictable' and '(not) dangerous)'. One of the most paradoxal mons is Gengar1: in hands of the AI it's super weak, since it can be swap-stalled ('predictable' and 'not dangerous'), while in your hands, it's very useful and quite reliable (given that you get enough turns for Hypnosis to hit). Quick Claw en Scope are not very reliable and useful for the player, but can be dangerous in the hand of the AI. They only need one or two activations to end your run - the same holds for OHKO users. Who hasn't had any Battle Frontier run killed by QC Horn Drill?

Takeaway: always think carefully after a battle whether that mon that almost killed you is in fact useful and try to consider whether an easy to beat mon could still be helpful in your hands. But most of all: be mindful of your strong IV pokes!

The Run

I haven’t kept minitious records of each round, just the teams I used. I will briefly go through them.

Rounds 1-2-3: no records. Rounds 1 and 2 can basically be auto-piloted, since the AI is random, Round 3 is more fun, preparing you for the real deal. It’s important to swap after each battle in rounds 1 and 2, so you will get at least one elevation for the upcoming rounds.

Round 4: Ludicolo2 etc.

My elevation was Ludicolo2, which can overpower most mons with its 15IVs and great coverage. Didn’t remember the rest of the team, probably they didn’t have to do too much.

Round 5: Tauros2, Hypno2--> Alakazam2, Milotic2 - 35 wins, 21 swaps.

One absolute elite mon with Tauros2 (great ability, powerful, set-up and healing), whose fighting weakness is covered by Hypno2 (whose ghost weakness in turn is covered by Tauros). Milotic2 is not defensive but is modest with 255 SpATK EVs (and 15IVs), which makes it hit hard with Surf and Ice Beam. Changed Hypno2 for Alakazam2 to hit fighting types back harder and not be reliant on Hypnosis accuracy.

round 6: Milotic4, Electabuzz3, Victreebel3 42 wins, 22 swaps.

Yes, I used Victreebel. And Electabuzz. On one team. And it beat Noland Gold! How on earth, you might think. Of course, the IVs (31 on Milotic, 21 on Electa and Vic) help a lot. But mostly it’s because Milotic4 is so strong: with DEF&Sp.DEF investmest, Recover AND Leftovers it’s almost unkillable. It still has a modest nature with ASLO Sp.ATK investment, so it still hits pretty hard. All that was needed was good support to cover weaknesses and things it couldn’t kill. Victreebel could effortlessly switch into Thunderbolts and Grass moves and either kill with dual coverage or double to Electabuzz (or paralyze with Stun Spore if nothing works). Electabuzz in itself has pretty good utility with a strong and fast STAB Thunderbolt, and coverage with Ice and Fire Punch. This let it deal with the water mons Milotic couldn’t kill and Cross Chop in the last slot would help against Blissey3 and Snorlax3 (even though those last two can perfectly well be handled by Milotic4).

I don’t remember the Gold battle very well, but I remember Milotic dropped at some point, so I was left with Vic and Electabuzz only. A funny moment occurred when Vic had to use Ingrain against the 2nd mon, but then I wanted to switch on the 3rd mon, but of course I couldn’t. Luckily Electabuzz was able to win.

round 7: Ursaring4, Arcanine4, Shuckle4 49 wins, 23 swaps

This was a really fun team to play with. The damage outputs of Ursaring’s STAB DE of its 200 ATK stat and Arcanine’s STAB Overheat are just insane. Both mons have also plenty of other coverage. And if something dangerous turned up, Arcanine could lower it’s attack with Intimidate and there was always Shuckle in the back who can 1v1 most mons (note that also in these match-ups the difference between 3 and 31IV helps a lot) or at least stall them out, if they would be toxic immune.

round 8: Metagross4, Regice1, Ludicolo2 --> Latias1 56 wins, 25 swaps

Metagross4 and Regice1 in the 31IV draft is amazing. Together they provide great coverage and Regice even heals. However, fire attacks are a shared weakness which cannot be underestimated with a lot of STAB Overheats and Fire Blasts around. That’s why Ludicolo2 could make a return from round 3 to simply Surf these mons away. But then, when Latias1 turns up, why not just take it? It has better stats even at 3IVs and a fire resistance.

round 9: Hariyama4, Feraligatr2--> Dusclops2, Marowak2--> Regice4 63 wins, 28 swaps

This was rather a problematic draft. Marowak2 isn’t great here because it generally doesn’t get the chance to use SD and sweep, because it’s slow – also Icy Wind doesn’t do much (still it can one-shot a lot with EQ). Therefore it was clear that Hariyama4 had to be the pivotal mon and boy did it deliver. Cross Chop is risky, but it didn’t have to rely on that alone: with a 189 ATK stat even Fake Out does significant damage to a lot of mons. Therefore it can Fake Out, kill, switch out, switch in later, Fake Out again and perhaps hit another time. I chose Feraligatr2 probably as best among the worst – it has coverage and a Torrent Surf still hits quite hard, I guess.

Luckily I could quickly switch Feraligatr for Dusclops2, also one of the best mons in the Factory to have as a switch-in. Its moves don’t depend on stats and even with 3IV it’s bulk and typing is great. With Protect, Confuse Ray, Double Team, Leftovers AND the Pressure ability it’s an ultimate staller. Toxic is just bonus, but a great bonus.

Later I came across Regice4, who ALSO has Double Team and Leftovers. It’s not Sp.ATK invested, so it should rather kill with Hail than with Ice Beam. It’s a super slow team (both considering speed stats and tactics), but still fun to play, each time figuring out whether Dusclops or Regice would be the mon to use and how to keep both healthy for the next mon.

One battle in particular, I think it was round 6, was interesting – this trainer had no type preference. If I remember correctly, the first mon was Water/Ice, probably Lapras or Dewgong, which beat Hariyama (probably with an OHKO) – I managed to revenge it with Dusclops, but then Tentacruel showed up. Since there had now been two Water mons out while having no type preference, this meant that the last mon HAD TO BE either Poison or Ice. Quite tricky, since my only moves to kill were Toxic on Dusclops and Hail on Regice! Therefore, I had to keep BOTH alive. It was quite a challenge, but I managed to do it with some manoevering. When this succeeds, seeing that the last mon is indeed poison or ice (tbh I don’t remember which it was anymore – vaguely I thought that Walrein played a role, but it would have forced preference for water type) is very satisfying

round 10: Latios1, Regirock1, Registeel1 70 wins, 29 swaps.

Nothing much to say, 31IV Latios1 is already a gift from heaven and Regirock1 and Registeel1 are great switch-ins. Regirock even provides extra utility with Explosion and Registeel1 is humbly one of the most reliable mons in the Factory: if it gets two or three turns to set up, it will set up all the way and Metal Claws do hurt at +6.

round 11: Starmie6, Entei3--> Machamp2, Swampert4 77 wins, 29 swaps.

Don’t remember much from this round, but I can imagine that Starmie6 just will not die with Recover and Leftovers. It will precook its opponents with Twave and Confuse Ray, after which Entei3 (later Machamp2, which also has healing) and Swampert4 can clean up. Example of using your strongest mon to repeatly support sweepers.

round 12: Granbull4, Gengar7, Swampert3 84 wins, 32 swaps.

Three excellent sweepers: Granbull4 gets extra punch from CB and has extra utility with Intimidate – Gengar 7 doesn’t need any extra punch whatsoever with its 200 Sp.ATK stat and has great extra utility with Dbond, being virtually always able to beat at least 2 mons. Swampert is just Swampert.

round 13: Raikou3--> Medicham2, Snorlax4, Kingdra4 91 wins, 34 swaps.

Not a great team at first glance. Raikou3 has a hard-hitting Tblot, Twave and some extra utility with Roar. Snorlax4 has good match-ups vs special attackers, but Kingdra4 is the star of the team: it has great defensive qualities and healing, which gives it time to set up DDs. Its only weakness (dragon) is nicely covered by shooting Ice Beams to OHKO most Dragon Claw users. I don’t remember at which point Medicham2 came in, perhaps to adjust for a trainer a preference for Ground types. It’s plan is simple: Endure, Salac and STAB Reversal.

round 14: Entei2, Meganium2, Lapras7 98 wins, 35 swaps

Classic Fire-Grass-Water/Ice synergy to cover each others weaknesses. As mentioned above, Meganium2 can often solo its way through enemies with Leech Seed and set-up. Entei2 can support this with Reflect. Lapras7 is a bit of an oddball with it’s OHKO-only moveset, but is very hard to kill with its defensive investment and free Rest.

I wrote down that I was in danger vs a team of Gyarados1, Latios23 and Salamence8. These mons have to be treated most carefully because of their many dangerous sets. Probably I switch to Meganium turn 1 and then Gyarados could Twave and started setting up DDs – I vaguely remember to survive only because it stopped attacking at some point. Probably it was also the only battle in which Lapras really had to do work. Interestingly enough, I didn’t take any of these mons, because it wouldn’t support the team strategy centering Meganium.

round 15: Tauros2, Starmie4, Moltres2--> Regirock2--> Typhlosion4 105 wins 38 swaps

Tauros2 and Starmie4 are simple enough to understand (Starmie’s Psychic covers Tauros’s weakness), Moltres2 is a bit more remarkable. It has some utility as a Pressure staller with DT and Protect, but lacks defensive investment and healing. At the same time its STAB Overheat from its 177 Sp.ATK stat just hits hard. I don’t recall why exactly I made the swaps – perhaps based on type preference of the next trainer. Regirock2 has utility with Explosion and Typhlosion4 has a huge Overheat in a pinch.

round 16: Slaking3, Slowking2, Sceptile3--> Gengar8 112 wins, 40 swaps.

CB Slaking3 can KO a lot on turn one and usually come back in later to do the same. Slowking2 supports it by crippling its opponet with Yawn or Twave and at the same time can hit hard with STAB Surf and Psychic. Sceptile3 is a bit odd, but helps against opponents raining Tbolts all over. Gengar8 is great even with 3IVs, still hitting hard and being fast with Dbonds – also, it has great type synergy with Slaking.

round 17: Machamp7, Aggron1-->Regice4, Meganium3-->Gyarados3-->Umbreon4 119 wins, swaps

I recall this being a really problematic draft. I figured that Machamp7 was my ace, and had to build my team around it – that’s where the odd choice of Aggron1 come from, a mon that doesn’t have many qualities in isolation. Here, it performs the role of switching into psychic and flying moves Machamp would have trouble setting up against. Meganium3 as a physical attacker is also quite strange, but apparently the best available. In such a case you have to be a bit lucky in the first battles and slowly try to improve your team with swaps.

Here, all swaps support Machamp: Regice4 is great at stalling special attackers, Gyarados3 softens physical attackers with Intimidate and with Umbreon4 suddenly my team had become quite OP: triple DT, double leftovers, good type synergy. The satisfaction is great when you stall out the opposing mon, fully set-up 6dt’s and a sub with Machamp and start unleashing STAB Focus Punches from its 200 ATK stat!

round 18: Espeon4, Snorlax6, Meta2 126 wins, 45 swaps.

After a problematic round 17, it was nice to take a bit of a breather in this round. Espeon4 ranks among the strongest, easiest to use mons in the Factory: its STAB Psychic from its 200Sp.ATK stat kills a lot – if it doesn’t, it will after a CM. Anything Espeon cannot handle, Snorlax6 or Metagross2 can probably deal with. Note that Metagross is good here as a normal resist, to deal with STAB DE’s.

round 19: Metagross6, Crobat2, Flygon3 133 wins, 46 swaps.

I think Crobat is really cool and I like to use a staller because of their reliability, but Crobat2’s bulk isn’t as great as other stallers. However, it’s speed partly makes up for that. Luckily, it worked well enough since it was flanked by two great mons. Together Metagross6 and Flygon3 have great coverage together (this Meta lacks EQ). With Metagross as a starter on threatening EQ’s you can switch to Crobat, while in case of fire moves you switch to Flygon.

Once I got in danger vs Salamence5, Fearow1 and Gyarados3. Salamence beat Metagross, but was revenged (probably by Flygon). Fearow damaged my team some more and then came Gyarados. It’s always hard to play around the four possible sets since it doesn’t have to many specific style moves. I remember that I confused it, but never hit itself 3 or 4 times in a row. I came close to defeat, but was able to just outdamage it.

round 20: Armaldo4, Electrode4, Snorlax3 --> Flygon4 139 wins, 1 loss 48 swaps.

There we are, the round which turned out to be the last one. The draft wasn’t easy with 4 electric mons (no Raikou or Zapdos). Luckily there was Armaldo4, about which I used to be skeptical since it’s so slow. But then again, it’s hit-taking abililty (it’s a joy to do calcs with Battle Armor, since for once you don’t have to worry about crits!) and raw power is great. Then Electrode4 is actually also a great mon. It may only be able to take one hit, but in return it can Tbolt twice to try to KO and then explode for a second KO. Snorlax3 was more of a sponge than anything else – Mega Kick is just bad and it has no healing. Drawback of this team is that it necessitates two mons alive for the endgame – only then Armaldo can use DE and Electrode can explode without drawbacks.

The first battle was quite problematic – even though ‘impossible to predict’ is usually good news (it’s often Alakazam3, or much better Clefable1). First mon was Flygon, who dealt some damage after being OHKO’ed by DE. The second mon was Scizor4, which pretty much walled Armaldo (who was locked into DE, to make things worse). It also was able to boost, so it was a very scary situation. In the end I had to sacrifice Electrode (pray that Explosion would bypass Brightpowder) and then Clefable1 came out. Usually a laughable mon, but Snorlax could only hit it with Mega Kick (if it would hit after some dt’s…). Armaldo was low on health but luckily still alive and I could survive.

I was glad to get rid of Snorlax for Flygon, which proved to be Flygon4. I had a few bad match-ups (like a Claydol lead) but actually made it to battle 7 quite swiftly. Perhaps a bit too swiftly, as I let my guard down…

Against the last trainer, you should always be a bit more on your toes, since they have 6IV pokes. The assistant gave no type or style preference. I’ll go through the battle in detail.

Trainer sent out Weezing!
Go! Armaldo!

Quite a bad match-up, Weezing has good defense and Armaldo has no super-effective move, nor have my other mons – Flygon cannot really hurt it. No style preference excludes Weezing2. I’m slower and list the move that will come:

Weezing1@BP will probably Will-O-Wisp and otherwise Shadow Ball or Smokescreen.
Weezing3@FB will either Flamethrower/Tbolt or (unlikely) Explode
Weezing4@FB will either Shadow Ball or (unlikely) Explode

I consider my options: 1. click DE; 2. click Rock Slide; 3. switch to Electrode. Electrode 2HKO’s with Tbolt, but S-ball and Sludge Bomb do 93.3-110% damage – I don’t want to risk Electrode so early, since this limits my options vs mon2 and mon3. Staying in is also risky, because wisp might cripple my Armaldo for the rest of the battle. Since Electrode holds Lum, it would very much welcome the wisp and basically have a free switch-in. I decide to click Rock Slide.

It’s Weezing1…

Armaldo was burned!
Armaldo used Rock Slide!
Armaldo’s attack missed!
Armaldo is hurt by burn!

A horror scenario – Armaldo crippled on turn 1 without having done any damage myself.

Armaldo used Rock Slide! (hits, 30.6-36.4%)
Armaldo is hurt by burn!

One more hit and at least Electrode will be able to revenge with a single Tbolt.

Armaldo used Rock Slide!
Armaldo’s attack missed!
Armaldo is hurt by burn!

Very bad, two misses with Rock Slide, but actually not inconceivable – brightpowder drops its accuracy to only 81%. I curse myself for not switching to Electrode on turn 1 and start a long thinking process to maximise my chances. Armaldo is now in range of S-ball, so this move is guaranteed. I can either sack Armaldo to maximise my chances to revenge with Electrode, or switch immediately to Electrode in order to hopefully survive a S-ball+Sludge Bomb with Electrode – with Armaldo alive Electrode could still explode on the last mon, if Flygon also perishes. Lastly, Flygon would 2HKO with D-Claw at this point, but would be severly hurt by two S-balls – and I don’t want to risk having a second mon burned… I think I make the optimal play.

Foe Weezing uses Shadow Ball! (hits)
Armaldo fainted!
Do it! Electrode!

Electrode used Thunderbolt! (hits, 57.2-67.9%)
Weezing’s attack missed!

Electrode used Thunderbolt! (hits)
Foe Weezing fainted!

Uff, that part went well, now it’s 2v2 – I’m lost my strongest mon, but the battle is still open.

Trainer sent out Victreebel!

Interesting. Actually, I can figure out which Victreebel it is, since 3 and 4 hold BP and 1 has a style ‘5’ move, leaving only Victreebel2@lefties. Electrode and Flygon are both faster, so I have some control over the next moves. However, Sleep Powder is very scary. Victreebel can do big damage with Sludge Bomb or use Sleep Powder.

One option is to just explode and hope Flygon can 1v1 the last mon – perhaps I would’ve if my Flygon had 31 IVs. But Flygon can do huge damage to Victreebel with EQ (and maybe Scope Lens will do work for once?

I can also use Tbolt to soak up a Sleep Powder with Lum and then switch and use EQ – however, that will not kill after two leftovers recoveries. Twave seems too risky, Victreebel can do too much damage with its attacks or still use Sleep Powder.

I decide to switch to Flygon – it can tank Sludge Bomb really well and Sleep Powder – it can miss.

Come back, Electrode!
Go, Flygon!
Victreebel used Sleep Powder!
Victreebel’s attack missed!

Perfect! Maybe now it will use Giga Drain, or even Attract (I’m opposite gender)?

Flygon uses Earthquake! (hit, 69.2-81.8%)
Victreebel used Sleep Power!
Flygon fell asleep!

Oh no. Now it will use Giga Drain for sure. It’s too late for switching to Electrode, because Giga Drain+Sludge Bomb kills and then I only have sleeping Flygon left. I have to burn sleep turns and hope it goes for Attract. If I wake up after 2 turns, I will still kill with EQ, after 3 turns it will have healed to much to kill with EQ, but then at least Electrode will return. If I wake up after 4 or 5 turns, it’s probably over…

Flygon is fast asleep.

Flygon is fast asleep.

Bugger. Now I have to pray. After all that healing Victreebel is out of EQ range.

Flygon woke up!
Flygon used Earthquake! (hit, 69.2-81.8%)
Foe Victreebel used Giga Drain! (hit, 20hp damage, 10 hp heal)
Flygon fainted!

Go for it! Electrode!
Electrode used Thunderbolt! (hit, 36.3-43.3%)
Foe Victreebel fainted!

At least that worked out. 3v3 turned into 2v2 into 1v1. Now let’s pray there won’t be a ground type last.

Trainer sent out Dusclops!

Dusclops? Could be worse! Actually, there is only one without Leftovers, Dusclops4: Double-Edge, Shadow Ball, Curse, Rest. Not too scary! Checking the calcs: Tbolt will 3HKO, but S-ball has a 32.8% chance to 2HKO – still in my favor. Plus, it may use Curse, then I’ll win for sure!

Electrode used Thunderbolt! (hit, 38-45.5%)
Foe Dusclops used Shadow Ball! (hit, 100%)
A critical hit!
Electrode fainted!

AAAAAAH! Killed by a crit in the end (which also just killed 43.8% of the time)… But okay, that’s how I expected the run to end anyway – there have been situations before when I would lose to a crit, hax or a miss.

Analysis

But what bugs me a bit are my decisions in this last battle. Thinking back, on turn 1 I probably should’ve switched to Electrode – I didn’t do that, because if Weezing would use Shadow Ball, I wouldn’t know if it was Weezing1 or Weezing4. Then I would be in a rough spot, because I’d be in Sludge Bomb kill range of Weezing1 and Weezing4. I could proceed to Flygon turn 2, tank the Sludge Bomb and D-claw in return turn 3. Then Weezing1 would use wisp/S-ball/smokescreen and Weezing4 would use Frustration (or maybe Explosion). Again D-claw turn 4 –

• vs Weezing1 Flygon would live and kill the next turn (I would have Electrode with S-ball damage and Flygon with at least Sludge Bomb damage and possibly a burn).
  • vs Weezing4 Flygon would be killed by Frustration, but then Electrode would revenge kill, leaving me Electrode (with S-ball damage) and a healthy Armaldo. Then, blowing up vs Victreebel would make sense, because it would leave a 1v1 with Armaldo – indeed Armaldo beats Dusclops (and will not get crit!).
And if after the switch to Electrode turn one Weezing3 would use Flamethrower or Thunderbolt? I would always live a following Sludge Bomb (barring crits) and 2HKO with Tbolt, leaving me a 3v2, soon to be a 2v1.

Given the two Rock Slide misses, also turn 1 Double-Edge may have been a better option – but I didn’t want to lose HP for nothing.

As for the 2v2 situation, maybe I should have used Tbolt with Electrode (99.5% 3HKO) – on a Sleep Powder, Lum would activate and then only a consecutive Sleep Powder hit would prevent me from killing. Next I would switch to Flygon, taking a Sludge Bomb and revenge with EQ, leaving me a ~67% Flygon and a sleeping Electrode. If Victreebel would use Sludge Bomb turn 1, it would guaranteed see the kill next, providing a ‘safe’ switch-in (not risking Sleep Powder) for Flygon, which would ensure a free EQ. But as we saw in the battle, that doesn’t guarantee anything – I got to the same game state with a healthy Electrode instead. Under the assumption that the opponent would hit its moves, it’s not better than in the real battle, but if the opponent were to miss (as happened in the battle) it increases my chances.

Epilogue

I’ve enjoyed every bit of the run and it’s a bit like a childhood dream come true to set such a result. It’s so cool to encounter a new situation every round right from the draft and having to make your game plan, finetuning it across 7 battles. I realise that I was also quite lucky not to get fatally haxed at any earlier point in the run, but this also gave me some assurance that I knew what I was doing. After all, if you want to be consisent, you have to diminish your dependency on RNG as much as possible.

It’s a pity I lost after not playing optimally in the last battle, but I understand that this also proves another ‘human’ side such a challenge bears: to keep your patience, to carefully think through each move at each moment takes a lot of patience and perseverance. Therefore I do no only respect other challengers for their knowledge and skill, but also for these characteristics which will help you at any stage in life.

As for me, in a way I am happy that the run came to an end, since it’s also quite a commitment to keep finding time to play, stay patient and try your best. At the latest stages, I wouldn’t do more than one round per day and sometimes one round would take a few hours. I am quite busy otherwise and can’t reliably find this time without sacrificing something else.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in February which will bring another (first) priority in life. That’s why I consider this run to be my first and last commitment to Pokémon and in a way a wonderful goodbye to what has been a great childhood! May our child have the same experience with any Pokémon game (or any other of life’s joys)

If you have read so far, thank you, I hope you enjoyed it – at least for myself this write-up has been worthwhile, closing a period in my life. I hope to have inspired your on doing an run of your own and will try to beat this (and LRXC’s) record!
This is a beautiful post Tinto , im honored that you found inspiration through watching my streams and my content, and I love people seeing, understanding, and living one of the best things in Pokemon, Emerald's Battle Factory. I love how you see the factory, especially the 3v1 thing, I never really considered it like that, but it totally makes sense. I loved reading your battles and what you encountered.

The human element you mention is so so important, I have a run I have yet to upload because its 9 hours of footage on my old laptop that would take 30+ hours to upload and im lazy. But either way, I lost on Battle 114 due to me simply forgetting that Charizard1 is faster than my Starmie1. It was a crucial and deadly slip up that lost my streak, nothing haxy, just the sheer difficulty of playing perfect all the time. Its tough to lose that way, but also gave me a new persepctive on Pokemon.

Your epilogue was really beautiful by the way. So genuine and heartfelt; there is something unmatched about goodbye posts like these on Smogon, especially when combined with the fact that it was a Battle Factory post! Congratulations on your upcoming first baby, that must be SO exciting, yet simulataneously scary given its somewhat of a goodbye to something else you obviously love, Pokemon.

Congratulations again on your amazing amazing streak, 139 wins on REAL hardware, WOW!

I'll join you soon on the leaderboard as I upload my world record history video this Saturday!

Enjoy life Tinto : )

What do u guys think about this 6 poke team to run over the whole battle frontier? I'm not going to use hidden powers because its a huge pain in the ass on a retail copy to get the right HP. I want to have some tips/tricks for this team. I also know that maybe bringing Kingdra and milotic is maybe to much especially if i also want to bring Arcanine. Any typs are helpfull. I also dont want to bring the standard frontier pokes like Metagross, swampert.
PS. I can get every poke in game due to a running battery on emerald (espeon/umbreon). excess to Firered/leafgreen and i have a copy of ruby. So tm's/getting other legendary's like (Bird trio + latios/latias) wont be an issue. Also trade evo's are easy to obtain for me.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Focus punch/Ice beam

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
- Baton Pass
- Silver Wind
- Swords Dance
- Arial Ace/Steel Wing

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Breath (for the para)

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Recover
- Toxic/Dragon breath/Ice beam
- Refresh/safeguard/Dragon Breath

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Roar
- Drill peck

Arcanine @ Choice Band
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail
- Sunny Day
- Overheat/ Fire blast or even flamethrower

The Doc again, with a new record already lol. What can I say. I love the Battle Quest. It gives you freedoms the other facilities don't/can't; access to recovery items so that every battle is kind of like a high stakes trainer fight and the freedom to use duplicate items on your 'Mons. With my latest victory over Brandon after 20 rounds I'm now at a whopping 1120 floors cleared. Look out, Cody "The Machine." Pic attached for proof. And here are my new tried a true troopers, namely my A-team for bashing Brandon.

289.gif

("King Louie")
Return, Hyper Beam, Shadow Ball, Earthquake

260.gif

("Wipeout")
248 HP / 206 Defense / 54 Sp. Defense

94.gif

("Dirge")
Perish Song, Protect, Destiny Bond, Night Shade

Slaking in most cases makes a great lead for both "wilds" and unexpected trainer battles as it can KO almost anything. Swampert makes a great physical tank that can also hit back decently hard. Gengar acts an emergency check; it can swiftly take out nearly anything with D-Bond if need be and can get rid of hard to break walls/Double Team cheese with Perish Song + Protect + switch. As for matching up against Brandon, Slaking leads and KOs Articuno with Hyper Beam (if it doesn't miss) while Swampert can handle Zapdos and Moltres. Gengar can also take one of them out in a pinch if necessary.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello guys,

Kind of new here. Huge huge fan of Battle Factory, especially on Emerald. Been watching LRXC's record breaking streak on Singles, and now he's streaming one on Doubles with a WR at 91.

Unfortunately, since I am not and was never a streamer, I have no documentation, no videos, of my record a part from this photo taken of my GBA SP after reaching a 104 streak on Factory Doubles last April, 30th. Which is, I assume a WR and I would please love to know what are the procedures to have acknowledged here (at least before LRXC breaks it eventually).

It was just a fun, unserious streak that I completed with no data whatsover, just my knowledge, instincts and some luck got me there.

I would really appreciate it if I can get some replies from you guys, Battle Factory is just the best thing ever and this would truly mean the world to me, having my name written as a legitimate Battle Factory world record holder, even for a few days, would bring immense joy to me, who never thought this would even be possible given that I never thought about a WR before seeing LRXC's stream.

Thank you guys.

Attachments

Hello guys,

Kind of new here. Huge huge fan of Battle Factory, especially on Emerald. Been watching LRXC's record breaking streak on Singles, and now he's streaming one on Doubles with a WR at 91.

Unfortunately, since I am not and was never a streamer, I have no documentation, no videos, of my record a part from this photo taken of my GBA SP after reaching a 104 streak on Factory Doubles last April, 30th. Which is, I assume a WR and I would please love to know what are the procedures to have acknowledged here (at least before LRXC breaks it eventually).

It was just a fun, unserious streak that I completed with no data whatsover, just my knowledge, instincts and some luck got me there.

I would really appreciate it if I can get some replies from you guys, Battle Factory is just the best thing ever and this would truly mean the world to me, having my name written as a legitimate Battle Factory world record holder, even for a few days, would bring immense joy to me, who never thought this would even be possible given that I never thought about a WR before seeing LRXC's stream.

Thank you guys.
Hey fellow Battle Factory enjoyer!

I'm currently attempting to break the Level 50 Doubles World Record and right now my personal best is 81. I haven't tried to break the Open Level World Record yet, but of course the same numbers there are even harder to reach because the first rounds are harder.

I read your post and was quite stunned to see you having won 104 battles in Open Level without using any of the resources, just having fun with it as you said.
I'd love nothing more than to have a high number like that as the world record, because that would motivate me even more than the current Open Level world record which is almost a whole 30 wins lower.

However a simple screenshot is unfortunately not enough to be recognized as a world record. Without any information provided about the run, it's hard to comprehend how you could achieve such an amazing feat without using the spreadsheet and calc.

In my personal opinion, it would have to involve incredible luck, especially at every draft. So if you could tell us more about the run, which mons you used (at least during the last few rounds) and importantly how the run ended, only then could it be possible to recognize 104 as the new world record.

Thanks for understanding!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)