SS OU Gen8 OU Bulky Balance (I somewhat need help with this)

1619389305055.png

KyUwUem (Kyurem) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
Kyurem has such an amazing bulk and power altough not so great speed, which allows it to be Koko's oposite partner. It has decent synergy with Heatran and Koko, who accidentaly formed a Fairy-Dragon-Steel core. Since with that Speed it won't be outspeeding anything important, it runs Modest which allows it to OHKO a fully specially defensive Ferrothorn. Ice Beam is used for decent Ice coverage, but Freeze-Dry is used too so that then it can deal with water types (mostly Toxapex) more easily. Drago Meteor OHKOs most fast sweepers and some bulky sweepers with low special bulk. I wanted to use a Sub-Roost so that it could fit the "Bulky" part a bit more, but I really needed a form of immediate special power to deal with some specific threats.

1619389284596.png

hhhhhhmmmmmm monke (Rillaboom) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off
This was going to be Ferrothorn at first, but I needed some sort of speed control + an Earthquake check, altough it makes my team just a bit too aggresive. It fills a good defensive role in the GFW core, obviously providing pure grass type resistances + Grassy Terrain, which is appreciated by everyone except Koko, since having passive regeneration + an Earthquake damage reducer is pretty cool and mostly appreciated by Toxapex and Heatran. Grassy Glide is obligatory, since it's an incredibly powerful priority move that isn't completely countered by Psychic Terrain. Wood Hammer hits slower Pokémons like a truck and its recoil is slightly canceled out by Grassy Terrain and its base 100 HP stat. U-Turn is for pivoting and Knock Off is general utiliy. EV spread is the usual one. Also it heavly fits the bulky side of the team because of its natural tremendous bulk.

1619389263670.png

IDon'tLikeToxapex (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 124 SpD / 132 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
Heatran is here to fill the fire role in the GFW core (+ accidentaly using a place in a Fairy-Dragon-Steel core), it also works as a stall breaker thanks to the Magma Storm + Taunt combo, and a fire type absorber. It has one extra point in speed to deal with other Heatrans and completely outspeed Blissey if paralyzed. It also can deal with those pesky steel types. It's also my rocks setter, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

1619389226582.png

Ban Toxapex pls (Toxapex) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Knock Off
Toxapex is just being Toxapex. It burns things, it prevents set ups, it walls things like there's no tomorrow and knocks off life orbs and bands. I absolutely hate how awesome this thing is. It helps Rillaboom with the Fire-Ice and poison matchup, Snorlax with the fighting types, Heatran with the fightings and water types, Kyurem with the Fightings and Steel types, and Koko with the poison types. It has an amazing bulk paired with great recovery and survivability tools. Rocky Helmet punishes multi-hit moves, any contact move, and mostly Knock Off and Body Press/Gyro Ball users.

1619389244506.png

Yoko (Tapu Koko) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost
Koko is great dealing with water types and fighting types (Looking at you, Urshifu-R), it has good pivot potential and even has access to reliable recovery in the form of Roost! (this making it better at suiting the bulky part of the team). It's also the complete counterpart of Kyurem, being incredibly fast (thus giving this team more speed control) but lacking "incredible" offensive pressure and bulk.

1619389119634.png

ChadLax (Snorlax) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 56 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- High Horsepower (Possibly Darkest Lariat)
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Rest
Snorlax is mostly here because it's my favorite Pokémon, but it also can work well with the team. It has a good synergy with Toxapex, since its tremendous special bulk allows it to switch in to most special attackers that can threaten Toxapex, and it also has a good ability-typing matchup with Rillaboom, being able to switch in to Ice and Fire types, even the physical ones. High Horsepower is used instead of Earthquake because using the latter would clash with Rillaboom's Grassy Surge, and it's used instead of Darkest Lariat because of better type matchups (mostly Heatran). The given EV spread allows Snorlax to break and work under opposing Trick Room teams (especially the ones with Marowak-A that runs EQ instead of Low Kick) and giving it the most amount of special bulk without wasting any physical bulk.
Its typing, ability, stats and incredible open movepool allow Snorlax to be a decent pivot and a good late-game setup sweeper.

Also, quick note: the Dragon-Steel-Fairy core was created accientaly and I didn't realize it was there until I wrote this. Koko and Kyum were not supposed to synergize with Heatran, but still they somewhat do. The original idea was to create an offensive 2core with Koko and Kyurem, that's all.

I feel like steel types can wall this team a lot, since my only answer to them is Snorlax and Heatran. Also Flying-Steel types have to be addresed with Heatran and Koko.

Last edited:
Interesting team for sure! I think you hit the nail quite right on its head with the Rilla + Kyurem combo. It's a great wallbreaking duo that smashes trough many a team's core bulk. In my opinion the main strategy of your team should be to bring them out as often as you can. Now this makes your team very weak to hazards, since your Kyurem doesn't like them that much. I'd suggest adding in something that can remove annoying hazards like for example:

:ss/corviknight:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Now I do see that Snorlax is your favorite Pokémon, but personally I think that it is too weak for OU standards. Snorlax can't handle much of the sheer force that most OU pokemon boast and it will just be chipped down by something like Pex or in fact, Corviknight. Additionally it walks right into some of the most common hazard setters: Lando-T and Ferrothorn.

Corviknight also gives your team immunity to earthquake spam from the very common Landorus-T and in general works very well with Toxapex, as their only shared weakness is electric-type pokemon. In addition to that it can also use U-Turn to bring your threats, Kyurem and Rillaboom, right back in the fight, and instantly you again gain a lot of pressure. Personally I think it's worth trying a specially defensive set in your case as this also helps fight some of the more scary revenge killers for your team, Tapu Lele and Dragapult.

Hope this gives you a push in the right direction. Cheers!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)