General Arabian Discussion

Yeah, video games! So just tell us what you're playing now, or recently played. If there's a new game or something, feel free to make a separate thread. Give your thoughts on other peoples' games and stuff like that! Mention the platform too.
I'll start it off.

Playing: 999(DS) - This is awesome, but it's kinda creepy, so don't play it at night. Mildly challenging puzzles and a good storyline.

Pokemon Black(DS) I don't think this needs further discussion, we have a whole other forum for that. I like it though.

Disgaea DS(DS duh), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon(DS), Pokemon SS(DS) - On and off games, I get back to them eventually.

Phantom Brave(Wii) - I know there's a PS2 one, but hey, whatever. Really good with a pretty fresh(even now) gameplay style, just wish I had more time to play this.

Cross Edge(PS3) - I like my NIS. This is still an awesome game and it plays kinda like Valkyrie Profile if you know it.

Bioshock(PS3) - Mildly creepy, if not surprising the crap out of me. Too bad FPS on my TV(actually a projector) gives me headaches, not to mention full screen scares - think inactive Splicer when I turn around from searching a toilet...

Recently played: Kinect (X360 - don't own one, friend's) - The voice controls are smooth; games are fun, even if they draw a lot from gimmicky type things. Not to mention, they make you look like a fool in front of your friends AND record you. Great fun.

Borderlands(X360) - Awesome game, I don't know why I love it so much. It is definitely better with two people.

Black Ops, Reach (X360) - Same as the predecessors, except still pretty fun. Forge World is amazing, and the new Black Ops online/multiplayer is better.

Fallout 3(X360) - Outdated by New Vegas but still a solid game. Going with a good player and am about Lvl 7.

So yeah, post your games, discuss games and rate games!

I expect this thread to be filled with first person shooting game discussion, but before that happens I will put in my 25 cents!

Marvel Vs. Capcom - This still has quite the fanbase on GGPO, although they are a bunch of idiots they are good at it. I drop by sometimes for a few games.

Melty Blood - Act Cadenza and Actress Again - Another 2D fighter that I play quite a bit. It just never gets boring.

Metal Slug 3 - Get a friend and just go on a rampage.

Last Blade 2 - Another fun 2D fighter with unique characters. The game mechanics are a bit difficult for the beginner. With a little practice you may be able to get to stage 3...

Fate Unlimited Codes - Another 2D fighting game with characters from Fate/Stay Night, and yes it is abbreviated FUC.

Devil May Cry 4 - Something that I have been playing for a while, but have yet to finish. I play a little and just forget about it for months.

I've been playing Disgaea II a bit recently since I am yet to finish the story.

Also eagerly awaiting BW since there are no games I want to buy atm (except for Fallout 3 but I can't afford that).

Super Scribblenauts. Always fun to be able to make flying, fire-breathing, polka-dotted, immortal hippos in completely gratuitous amounts in unrelated situations.

Sk - Seems like you prefer 2D fighters to the FPS's :D. I guess the closest I can say I played was the new Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 for the X360. It was really fun, but I was disappointed with some of the ultimate moves. No one probably knows what I'm talking about.

Super Scribblenauts is fun, but it seems to be a bit of a flaw that you can solve pretty much every non adjective level with a weapon of your choice, various mythical creatures, and rope...ha. Oh, and "speedy wings"

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Restating an idea Hipmonlee said previously, let's keep the reviews to more than one line of superficiality.

I'm playing two games at the moment.

Borderlands (PC): The RPG and FPS aspect of this game meshes unbelievably well. Although I find its level up system a bit weak, the quest filled game will have you playing for hours killing skags, and bandits in abandoned highways. The best parts are when a pseudo boss unexpectedly comes out of its den and attacks you. Bunch of weapons, and the cooperative game mode also adds to this game's appeal

Left 4 Dead 2 (PC): One simple formula of 4 survivors teaming up to kill zombies and the special infected never gets old, with a bunch of new varieties. Different game modes such as Survival, Realism, Versus, and the bi monthly releases of Mutation make sure that players continue to play this great game. It takes teamwork, and a hell lot of strategy to play this game properly. You can rack up a bunch of points and still lose if your team isn't up to par. Playing with friends that you know however, is the best way.

Metal Slug 3 - Get a friend and just go on a rampage.

Best Metal Slug game ever. So freaking long compared to the others and the final boss fight was quite epic imo.

Borderlands (PC): The RPG and FPS aspect of this game meshes unbelievably well. Although I find its level up system a bit weak, the quest filled game will have you playing for hours killing skags, and bandits in abandoned highways. The best parts are when a pseudo boss unexpectedly comes out of its den and attacks you. Bunch of weapons, and the cooperative game mode also adds to this game's appeal
I've dumped so many hours into that game. Although I find the missions so darn repetitive, the game is so darn addicting what with the bajillion guns and all.

Other games:

I can't believe noone said Minecraft yet, the game is the most addicting of all games I've played. Especially fun with other friends, it's essentially the Lego of video games. Hours of fun building objects with friends or even surviving solo in singleplayer, customizeable character skins, even a free version out there, it's hard not to have noticed this by now

Currently, with my 3 roommates, we play a nice mix of N64 and XBox 360, and primariliy we are on these three:

FIFA 2011 - Probably the most popular game in my apartment. Always a really fun game, with a nice recording system to save good highlights, and the fact that XBL updates the rosters makes it more involved. I think I'm slowly being converted to a soccer (football) fan as a result of this game and the World Cup...

NHL 2011 - I have never been a huge hockey fan, but this game is a whole lot of fun. Just recently started playing, but it runs on a very similar style to FIFA (same type of menus and replay system). The only thing about this game is that the teams are all almost exactly the same. Their ratings are all in the 80s in offense, defense, and goalie, and they really don't play differently, but maybe that's just my impression.

Mario Party(1,2,3): This is what we play with multiple people on the N64; I don't think I should have to explain it. We have found the most fun way to play is by having 3 humans and one hard computer (Wario), because having the CPU to hate on/dominate the button-mashing games gives you an added purpose, and is really entertaining. We mostly do Mario Party 1 and 3, mostly because we've played 2 to the extent that we know all of the games, and it's a little boring now, although personally I think it's the best in the series.

Incidentally, we keep a running tally of winners each time we play these games. And yes, Wario is currently in the lead in the Mario Party records.

Playing the shit out of MHFU right now can't wait till F3 comes to america
Same. The graphics look so much nicer in MHP3rd. I'm also really happy about the improvements in the gunlance and hunting horn.

The other games I've been playing are Black Ops and Fifa 11.

Recently finished Heart Gold, which is kind of a lot worse than Gold, I think. I've decided that the main reason that the old games are better (in my opinion) is that the spectrum of usable tools was a lot narrower in terms of what was passably effective. Hyper Beam Gyarados was pretty scary in single player RBY, but now it's like, "oh, I hope that stupid idiot uses Hyper Beam!" The AI just doesn't compensate for how much new room there is for optimization. I was getting beaten by Red repeatedly (my team ranged from level 60-70, minus a level 40 HM slave), and the grinding process was taking a while. So I gave Mamoswine a Choice Scarf and Stealth Rock to destroy his Pikachu and set up for a later DDNite sweep. The AI never uses Choice Scarf, Stealth Rock, or Dragon Dance (without being a complete idiot about it). These are all completely new things that emerged specifically so that I could use them to victimize Gym Leaders and the Elite Four. You didn't really get much "new technology" in the older games, on the other hand. It was sort of a balance between the general overpoweredness of the gym leaders and their reckless one-dimensionality, which I think worked. Now I can just give my Starmie a dark-resist berry so I don't get slaughtered by Weavile, or whatever. I also think the game would have benefited tremendously from the ability to play it with the original music, but that's another story!

Still pretty fun regardless, though. I amused myself by nicknaming everything after characters from Adventure Time. =)

Now I'm playing a lot of old school platformers. Like, I haven't beaten Mario 1 yet, or Super Metroid or Donkey Kong Country. My childhood was edutainment, so I'm making up for it now. >_>

Mass Effect (XBOX360): Really solid game from Bioware that follows a lot of the same stuff from games like Knights of the Old Republic. Fun, challenging, real-time combat, and total character customization, great in-depth story and pretty graphics.

Alan Wake (XBOX360): Crazy fun survival horror game (without zombies omg!) that I honestly only started playing because it came with my XBOX. But I've really been enjoying it and have barely been able to put it down. Really intense and freaky. Totally worth the buy (?)

Old school RPGs for the win.

Grandia (PlayStation) - I'm currently playing this on my PSP. It's $9.99 on the PSN store, so I highly recommend it. It has beautiful scenery, a fun story, and fast paced combat (usually). Not many people have heard of this game. A review by Stan Burdman

Final Fantasy III (Nintendo DS) - DON'T GET THIS GAME. IT SUCKS. You can't save in dungeons, you're penalized for changing jobs, and there's no story.

Final Fantasy IV (Nintendo DS) - This game is amazing. I think I can say it has no flaws. Beautiful graphics, polished battle mechanics, challenging bosses, a moving story and soundtrack, and great replayability value make this my favorite video game of all time. If you like RPGs, you must buy this game.

Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation) - I played this until I got sick of all the tedious sidequests. I'll pick it up again someday because it was very fun. It's just a little overhyped.
Cosign.

Pokemon HeartGold(Nintendo DS) - I cannot get off this game. It's not even about the game any more. I'm just constantly breeding and EV training stuff. This is the only one on the list I play solid still. The rest are just off and on. I don't think I need to say anymore =/

Oh, and Blame Game, you know that you can get an item called GB Sounds after you beat the game/get the National Dex. Don't know if you have it or not, but it'll play the original soundtrack as long as you keep it on in the game(but not the sound effects).

Final Fantasy III(Nintendo DS) - Used to love it. But now I'm only playing it just to say I beat another Final Fantasy. I honestly haven't touched it in a few months. It definitely has the difficulty factor down for the most part like most old school games did(I imagine the original of this game for the NES was even harder than this remake).

Suikoden Tierkreis(Nintendo DS) - Started it and got in about 30 min. Never touched it again. I was psyched about it when I bought it too(yes, I still buy the games as opposed to many people just downloading them for free to their R4/Acekard). I want to go back to it....but I have this team I need to breed/EV train and....oh, never mind -.-

No XBox360/PS3 games cuz I don't own the consoles :(

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PS3): The multiplayer community here is small, but so friendly. It's easy to become a part of it. People actually, wait for it, congratulate you when you win games or high scoring kills. Really unique multiplayer, can't get enough.

Prinny 2 (PSP): Lots of Disgaea love in this topic, good. :3 I loved the first Prinny game, and the second one is even better. The difficulty is crazy.....fun.

Killzone 2 (PS3): I'm excited for KZ3. Not just for the return of, in my opinion, one of the best mutliplayers on a shooter ever. On par with TF2 if you ask me. Oh, excuse me. Not just for the multiplayer, but for the reportedly "extremely" improved Story. KZ2's story was generally average, but GG have taken a keen interest in the KZ3's story, which was really the only complaint people had about KZ2.

I'm really excited for Q1 of this year. Soooo many games coming out this year in general. My list of games to play this year is 21 items long.

JackieChun said:
Oh, and Blame Game, you know that you can get an item called GB Sounds after you beat the game/get the National Dex. Don't know if you have it or not, but it'll play the original soundtrack as long as you keep it on in the game(but not the sound effects).
Oh wow, I didn't know about that. It's a shame that it's an item you have to find, instead of an option you can toggle on/off, though.

League of Legends (PC): pretty much the successor to DotA. Brilliant combat, strategy and ideas combined in a mix between RPG RTS and a little bit of tower defense. What i really love about this is the game is strategy and team based so there isnt mindless grinding and thought is actually needed to beat your opponents (unless they're really baaad). Its a bit hard to get used to but definetely try it out. Its freeee aswelll!!

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) YES! One of the best games ever to come out on wii (yeea..) ive basically grown up with SSB and SSBM so naturally SSBB follows but the graphics and game physics are vastly improved. I really like not having health bars as it adds a level of unpredictability to the game.

ANY MARIO PARTY IS GOOD.... Well i havent actually tried after 6 but still... MARIO PARTY
PLAY IT NOWWWW.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
ANY MARIO PARTY IS GOOD.... Well i havent actually tried after 6 but still... MARIO PARTY
PLAY IT NOWWWW.
Well, you're lucky you stopped at 6, because they suck horrendously after that. The mini-games are still really fun and addicting, but the boards you play on are ass, and they tried to "mix it up" too much. It's like you're not even playing Mario Party, and playing something stupid. Like, in 8, on at least two of the boards, you're not even playing on a gameboard where you can pass Start, but instead on a line that goes from start to finish so it's like you're in a race. Good idea, bad horrible stupid execution.

Trying to get 1000 gamerscore on Batman: Arkham Asylum. It'll be tough, but I just did all the riddler shit.

Also playing through pokemon ruby again.

I am also playing Medieval 2: Total War (Grand Campaign). Fuck it's STILL a brilliant game. It's SO accurate it's scary. Fuck the mongols though...seriously. I'd have raped the grand campaign with denmark with their insanely awesome infantry. The mongols came in, swarming like fucks, with hundreds of units of skirmishing foot archers and those GOD DAMN mounted archers. FUCK.

I keep getting excommunicated by the pope as well, it's annoying as hell.

Currently obsessed with Minecraft, Realm of the Mad God. Those have Smogon thread so we'll leave those be.

Doing a Nuzlocke for Ruby. Again, Pokemon forum, doesn't need to be elaborated.

About to borrow Luigi's Mansion from a friend. I've never played it but I've heard it's fun and pretty enjoyable so I don't think I'll regret it. Apparently it wasn't as good as Sunshine but whatever.

I'll pick up and play Black Ops maybe every 2 or 3 days. I don't feel the need to play it excessively, but I still feel that it's a good game. Currently on my first prestige, but I don't really feel like grinding for the more difficult pro perks or prestiging again. I like just going for Blackbirds and having fun with shotguns while still trying to play the objective.

Also playing through Sonic 3 and Knuckles on my computer. I think it's one of the greatest games ever, gameplay, music, everything. I always go back to it to screw around in debug mode, but I've never actually gone through it in it's entirety without abusing my older brother's saves that already had all the levels and Hyper Sonic unlocked. Hopefully I'll change that soon.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yay a game thread!

Resonance of Fate
(360): Am I the only one who bought this game? It's from Tri Ace (of Star Ocean fame, one of the few JRPGs I can tolerate), and it is absolutely fantastic if you're a fan of the RPG genre. It came out at around the same time as FFXIII, and sometimes feels like the exact opposite of that game. The battle system is far more complex, consisting of a real-time/turn-based mix and requiring the management of several different variables (Hero Actions, Triangle Attacks, an Action gauge, etc) right from the beginning, unlike FFXIII, which made you wait a dozen hours before giving you full access to its battle system. Its story isn't pushed into your face nearly as much, you have a very large open world that you can access through energy grids at any time, and the aesthetic is very steam-punkish. I will say that the game is brutally difficult and has a challenging retry feature (costs in-game credits), so it's not for everyone, but if you can find a copy somewhere (it's out of print now, so expect to pay around $30 for used and up to $100 for new) it's well worth playing.

Goldeneye (Wii): Oh man. This is such a good FPS. Forget for a second that it's on the Wii, and that its mechanics are very similar to Call of Duty. Don't listen to anyone who says that it's a rehash, or a cash-in, because it's absolutely not. For one, the singleplayer manages to recapture much of the feeling of the original's single player mode, right down to the multiple paths, objective-scaling based on difficulty level, stealth/combat mix, and (if you play in Classic mode) limited health. It has a pretty beefy playtime too, I'm looking at 8 hours right now and I'm on the final level of the campaign. But the multiplayer is really where this game shines. If you play it using the Wiimote set up, you basically feel like you're playing with a mouse/keyboard, and the maps, weapon balance, and game modes are all pitch perfect. It even has split screen mode with a whole wealth of features from the golden days of FPSes (big head mode, paintball mode, invisibility mode..!). Yes, the graphics on the multiplayer look like ass when compare to the HD consoles. Yes, the online system isn't as good as Xbox live (at least it's free). But really, if you own a Wii, you owe it to yourself to check this game out, regardless of what other games you have on HD consoles.

Vanquish (360): Yet another game that I feel like I was the only one who purchased. Why did people give Bayonetta so much attention when Vanquish is so much more frantic, intense, and just plain fun? Was it the nudity? It was the nudity, wasn't it? Anyway, Vanquish is from the same guys who made Bayonetta, but it has a sci-fi setting and its combat system revolves around throwing you into an absolutely huge battlefield with tons of giant enemies and giving you a powersuit and then attaching rockets to your feet. Vanquish is absolutely breathtaking when you're playing it on the highest difficulty level, because you get into a zone where you're juggling a hundred different on-screen variables and the adrenaline gets pumping and when you finally clear the zone you sigh and wipe the sweat off your forehead. It's seriously that hardcore. It's also really short, but it has tons of replay value through its challenges, and anyway by now it's only like $20-30, so go try it!

i was playing 999 and i got up to the casino and i couldn't proceed because my touch screen is stuffed up and i can't touch one of the things required :(

but i hear it has multiple endings...i'd have so much fun if i was able to play it

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am playing Dragon Age Origins (and Awakening). Pretty awesome game with you able to customise your character etc then you slaughter things. Graphics are awesome and you get nice dialogue throughout the game. Its great fun. Currently a Rouge owning things left right and centre

Diablo II: LoD (PC): You all know about this game. I'm gonna quit playing it cause I got bored :P

Dante's Inferno (360): In it for the gamerscore. Just need the 30 pieces of silver and 666 hit counter achievement.

AC II and Brotherhood: Repetitive, I know, but quite interesting.

Darksiders (360): I hate this game.

Red Alert 2 and 3: For mozer Russia! And it's fun to pwn your friends in RA2.

Fallout: NV (PC): I haven't played Fallout 3, but this game is awesome.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I've been playing games a lot lately (one of the benefits of being injured I suppose). My recent games have been:

God of War Trilogy: Got the Platinum trophy in all three games, which I'm quite proud of...it looks lovely on my profile, especially since I'm using the Kratos avatar atm. Fantastic games...they really reminded me why I played video games in the first place. I had just came back to serious gaming after a few years of nothing but Pokemon and it seemed as though videogaming had degenerated into a gangbang of half-hearted FPS's but this trilogy really helped me through that initial doubt. Beautifully simplistic and yet incredibly challenging, a gripping storyline and an epic soundtrack...I couldn't reccomend this highly enough. Probably my favorite 'non-Nintendo' gaming franchise.

Fallout 3 / Fallout: New Vegas: I'd like to think I'm not one for getting addicted to games. I don't think I'm one of these people who can just sit in front of a games console for 4 or 5 hours straight. Or at least, I didn't until I started playing Fallout. Fiendishly addictive. I'm not even sure I think it's 'all that' but I can't seem to stop playing it. Unfortunately, New Vegas on the PS3 has so many glitches and bugs that it's getting quite difficult to enjoy. It seems to crash every few hours too which is annoying as hell, even with the Autosave feature limiting any serious harm.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: I grew up on the original DKC trilogy and have nothing but fond memories of it so naturally I had to get this. I haven't had much chance to play it (what with never being off Fallout and stuff) but I blasted through the first world and it seems faithful to the originals. Looking forward to playing this when I grow tried of NV.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Dante's Inferno (360): In it for the gamerscore. Just need the 30 pieces of silver and 666 hit counter achievement.
666 Hits: When you get to the malebolge trials, specifically, the infinite mana one set the difficulty to the hardest and spam level three sins of the father. You don't even have to move.

Bayonetta was fucking amazing. I loved all the references and homages to other games. The sexy graphics were great too. Summoning a demon has never been more interesting!

Seriously though, the combat in this game is perfect. The combos string together so fluidly, and the enemies are really interesting. My favorite part is the sai fung + fire durga combo (gunchucks and fire claws) The power of those fire bombs is obscene.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)