zapdos[1].gif
|
mamoswine[1].gif
|
magearna[1].gif
|
keldeo[1].gif

Introduction

I'd taken a bit of a hiatus from battling, not playing consistently since Gen 6. I wanted to make an offensive team around Mega Lopunny and Gengar, as their combination of speed, power and offensive synergy was appealing. The team looks to suitably weaken checks to Mega Lopunny, often with Gengar utilising Ghostium Z, with the backup of having Choice Scarf Keldeo as cleanup. The team was put together a bit unusually - stitching together two cores I thought would work well (Lopunny / Gengar and Zapdos / Mamoswine), with the remaining two covering any further weaknesses. The team has performed reasonably well to date, peaking at around 1680, but I would love suggestions on how to improve the team, as there are a few weaknesses I would like to address.

The Team

gengar[1].gif

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Gengar is reasonably standard, but is a major factor of whether I stand a chance against stall. For this reason, Ghostium Z was chosen - Chansey cannot touch Gengar whatsoever, but it can easily stall out using LO recoil. Ghostium Z will often be employed on Toxapex, Celesteela or Mega Scizor after they switch in to an initial Shadow Ball (the latter two are irrepairably damaged after the Z Move, although I need a bit of prior damage or a SpD drop on Toxapex to secure the 2HKO). This ensures Lopunny and Mamoswine have a considerably easier time breaking down the opposing team. If all else fails, Ghostium Z can be thrown out semi-randomly for a one-time nuke which hits almost everything for a decent chunk of damage and has a high chance of OHKOing defensive Landorus-T after rocks, a pain for Lopunny. The Toxic Spike absorption is also a nice bonus, since Mamoswine, Lopunny and Keldeo are susceptible.

lopunny-mega[1].gif

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch / Ice Punch(?)
- Fake Out

There isn't too much to say about Lopunny. It can act as a decent switch in to the Dark types which Gengar dislikes (once Mega-Evolved - I often lead with Lopunny with Fake-Out to ensure it gets it's Fighting type early), while Genga comes in on Fairies (mainly Clefable / Tapu Fini) which can tank Lopunny's hits and the odd stray Fighting Type (Mew is a risky switch for Gengar - typically will switch to Magearna, although in my experience a lot don't run Psychic). Really considering dropping Power-Up Punch for Ice Punch - while I feel the team has decent Landorus-T cover already, I've used Power-Up Punch pretty rarely, while Defensive Landorus-T has walled Lopunny a number of times. Unfortunately, Lopunny is frankly crap against stall and is walled by everything but Chansey, but against offensive teams it has performed well.

zapdos[1].gif

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Defog(?)
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Zapdos looks to be in a good position at the moment. With Hawlucha running everywhere, Zapdos acts as a premier counter and forms good synergy with Mamoswine - Zapdos can easily switch in to Scizor, Celesteela and Ferrothorn which threaten Mamoswine, while Mamoswine gathers one of it's few switch-in opportunities against Electric attacks which Zapdos seems to attract. Three attacks was chosen as again Landorus-T is ubiquitous, but also for Zygarde as nothing on my team enjoys taking Thousand Arrows (although it finds few free switch-ins). With Lopunny potentially opting for Ice Punch, I'm considering running Defog over HP Ice - as the team relies heavily on the speed of Lopunny, Keldeo and Gengar, Sticky Web teams have proven troublesome and contribute to a considerable amount of losses so far.

mamoswine[1].gif

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock / Knock Off(?)

Mamoswine is a quite a big threat at the moment as it has good matchups with many of the most common threats such as Heatran, Landorus-T, Toxapex, Tapu Koko, etc. It's STABs are fantastic and leaves it walled by very few Pokemon, which are generally covered by Zapdos above. Mamoswine can also barge through counters with a bit of luck - if Icicle Crash flinches Celesteela, it becomes killable on the switch-in after Stealth Rock, making a Lopunny sweep easier. Again, Mamoswine one of the few chances I have against Stall - little can come in without being 2HKO'd and it gets an almost free switch in on Zapdos. If the stall team has Mega Scizor, I could be in trouble, but it means it doesn't have Mega Sableye at least, meaning Gengar has a chance with Never Ending Nightmare against Scizor or Toxapex. With Zapdos potentially running Defog, I'm considering Knock Off over Stealth Rock - I get relatively few opportunities to set-up where I feel hitting a switch in strongly wouldn't have been a better option. Finally, I really like the double-priority with Lopunny and Mamoswine and it gives a chance against Hawlucha and other faster sweepers even if Zapdos is down.

magearna[1].gif

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

At this point in team building, I was looking for Pokemon to patch up weaknesses in the team. I saw Greninja / Latios (at least switching in) and Psychic spam (especially Choice Scarf Tapu-Lele and Alakazam, which heavily damage everything else) as threats, so I chose AV Magearna help with this. HP Fire was chosen to potentially catch Mega Scizor for Mamo / Lopunny's benefit, although it is rarely caught out by it. Iron Head was chosen to be usuful against other AV Magearna and provide one last hope of beating a Chansey. Generally though, Magearna's job is to tank a hit and Volt Switch to something that can hit harder - namely Mamo, Gengar or Lopunny, none of which have many switch in opportunities otherwise.

keldeo[1].gif

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge

Finally, a Choice-Scarfer to hit any setup sweeper and faster threats. I like Choice Scarfers to both be able to outspeed most setup sweepers at +1 (so above Base 100 speed is important) and to have a chance at cleaning up if all else fails at the end of the game. The team was fairly Volcarona weak and remains reasonably Mega-Zard weak, so Stone Edge was chosen to be able to revenge. All in all, Keldeo is probably the member of the team most susceptible to being swapped, as it was thrown in with the least amount of thought. Potentially could swap with Choice Scarf Latios with Surf, which would help my matchup against stall with Trick while providing a switch against Heatran.

Conclusion

Some threats I've noticed for the team are Sticky Web, A-Marowak (thankfully increasingly rare nowadays), Tangrowth and Toxapex. Overall, I'm happy I built the team as it's brought me a bit more up to speed about the current metagame. I'd love to hear suggestions and weaknesses I've missed, so please, let me know. Thanks for reading!

This isn't really a rate just my opinion on your question marks.

Zapdos
Defog > Hp Ice
You mentioned Sticky webs as one of your problems, and Defog deals with this as well as getting rid of their rocks if yours aren't up, as well as any spikes if their are any. You said you weren't sure about Defog with stealth rocks, but most teams run both together. If both teams only have rocks you don't need to Defog, however if they have more hazards or if you have none, then you can Defog.

Mamoswine
Stealth Rocks > Knock Off
Every team needs stealth rocks, and while getting damage off on a switch might seem better, in the long run stealth rocks can do a lot of damage to a team.

I don't really have an opinion on PuP or Ice Punch on Mega Lopunny. Both can be good. Ice punch for hitting incoming landorus-t's while PuP for getting extra power to deal a lot of damage to the opponents team.

Not really a rate, but just some input on your moves. Maybe I'll come back later and actually do something (one thing I notice is zapdos is your only ground resist, could be a problem, idk). Also, love the fact that your using Gengar. One of my favorite mons.

Hey buddy, great team and good explanations
I see Scarf kartana very threatening, especially those with knock off, so i suggest make Def zapdos with Static as ability, since you can check more easily kartana, hawlucha, m lop and any physical attacker, because they don't want to risk a paralysis. Also, volt switch in zapdos may be great to bring in safely your breakers and Also giving a volturn core with mage

Thanks for the input, hugely appreciated.

This isn't really a rate just my opinion on your question marks.

Zapdos
Defog > Hp Ice
You mentioned Sticky webs as one of your problems, and Defog deals with this as well as getting rid of their rocks if yours aren't up, as well as any spikes if their are any. You said you weren't sure about Defog with stealth rocks, but most teams run both together. If both teams only have rocks you don't need to Defog, however if they have more hazards or if you have none, then you can Defog.

Mamoswine
Stealth Rocks > Knock Off
Every team needs stealth rocks, and while getting damage off on a switch might seem better, in the long run stealth rocks can do a lot of damage to a team.

I don't really have an opinion on PuP or Ice Punch on Mega Lopunny. Both can be good. Ice punch for hitting incoming landorus-t's while PuP for getting extra power to deal a lot of damage to the opponents team.

Not really a rate, but just some input on your moves. Maybe I'll come back later and actually do something (one thing I notice is zapdos is your only ground resist, could be a problem, idk). Also, love the fact that your using Gengar. One of my favorite mons.
Good points. I've changed the Zapdos set to include Defog (Heat Wave still does enough to Landorus, plus the burn chance is nice) and with this, the Lopunny to have Ice Punch. I think you're also right about Stealth Rock - the fact that a good amount of KO's Gengar and Lopunny can achieve are quite dependant on Rocks being up suggests they are still as important as ever. I'm surprised my inner Gen 4 let me think getting rid of Rocks was an option, lol. If you are happy to rate further, I'd be grateful, but thank you for the advice already given.

Hey buddy, great team and good explanations
I see Scarf kartana very threatening, especially those with knock off, so i suggest make Def zapdos with Static as ability, since you can check more easily kartana, hawlucha, m lop and any physical attacker, because they don't want to risk a paralysis. Also, volt switch in zapdos may be great to bring in safely your breakers and Also giving a volturn core with mage
Very kind, thank you. With the removal of HP Ice as above, outspeeding Zygarde and Landorus-T is no longer as much of a priority, so your idea of adopting a more defensive Zapdos sounds great. I've changed the spread to 252 HP/152 Def/108 Spe with Bold, since I'd still like to outspeed Tapu Bulu. Scarf Kartana hasn't been too much of a problem in my experience (Knock Off sure would be annoying, though), since Magearna can act as an emergency buffer - takes around 35% from Secret Sword, less from everything else. It shouldn't be able to directly switch in too much, since every member of the team can 1-2HKO it. I'd be a bit hesitant to change to Static and Volt Switch - without HP-Ice, Landorus T has more chance of beating me with a Stone Edge crit, so the sooner I can PP Stall him out of it, the better (same with Bulu). Volt Switch as my only Electric move would force me to pivot out of Toxapex, which I wouldn't really want since Zapdos is my best option to take a Scald. Once again, thank you for the suggestions - really appreciated.

Thanks for the input, hugely appreciated.

Good points. I've changed the Zapdos set to include Defog (Heat Wave still does enough to Landorus, plus the burn chance is nice) and with this, the Lopunny to have Ice Punch. I think you're also right about Stealth Rock - the fact that a good amount of KO's Gengar and Lopunny can achieve are quite dependant on Rocks being up suggests they are still as important as ever. I'm surprised my inner Gen 4 let me think getting rid of Rocks was an option, lol. If you are happy to rate further, I'd be grateful, but thank you for the advice already given.

Very kind, thank you. With the removal of HP Ice as above, outspeeding Zygarde and Landorus-T is no longer as much of a priority, so your idea of adopting a more defensive Zapdos sounds great. I've changed the spread to 252 HP/152 Def/108 Spe with Bold, since I'd still like to outspeed Tapu Bulu. Scarf Kartana hasn't been too much of a problem in my experience (Knock Off sure would be annoying, though), since Magearna can act as an emergency buffer - takes around 35% from Secret Sword, less from everything else. It shouldn't be able to directly switch in too much, since every member of the team can 1-2HKO it. I'd be a bit hesitant to change to Static and Volt Switch - without HP-Ice, Landorus T has more chance of beating me with a Stone Edge crit, so the sooner I can PP Stall him out of it, the better (same with Bulu). Volt Switch as my only Electric move would force me to pivot out of Toxapex, which I wouldn't really want since Zapdos is my best option to take a Scald. Once again, thank you for the suggestions - really appreciated.
Yeah, I see the Lando-T point, in that scenario Pressure looks more appealing tho, Pressure + Discharge could seal the deal there to cripple switch-in and also have the PP stalling capabilities :) good luck dude ^^

hey, nice team you've built, gengar is a really cool Pokemon so it's cool to see someone uses it. The weaknesses you notified are right, Toxapex and Tangrowth can be annoying since Zapdos is the only thing able to really check them, and Mammo doesn't like taking a scald or a giga drain. Another weakness I've found is Rain. Your actuel water resist is Keldeo which is easily wear down, meaning Pokemon like Mega Swampert are really threatening when Rain is up. Lastly, Mega Charizard X looks really scary as well as Ground-Types such as Excadrill and Lando-t since you don't have a reliable switch-in to them. Anyway, I'll suggest a few things to remedy that.

Major Changes

>
As I said, Rain teams as well as Toxapex are a real problem so I think replacing Magearna for Ferrothorn can be a good idea. Ferrothorn is able to pressure Rains with Power Whip and Leech Seed (Try to not get knocked) and also functions as your steel type which checks Pokemon like Latios, Tapu Lele, etc. It gives you a way to deal with Toxapex since it can only fish for burn. Lastly, it gives you the appreciated Spikes that would greatly help the sweep of Mega Lopunny. Spd Oriented Spread with Leftovers here.

>
I brought up Ground-Types and Mega Char X as threats and Lando-t is a great way to deal with them. It lives a Flare Blitz from +1 Mega Char X, and switch-in with ease into Pokemon like Excadrill. It gives you another ground immunity which is always appreciated. It also gives you a U-Turn user, so your sweepers can come in without risking anything. Lastly, since it checks Zygarde with HP Ice, it gives you the possibility of running something else on Zapdos. Defensive Spread with Leftovers here.

Minor Change

Defog > HP Ice
This is the only minor change I'd make. Since you pointed out the fact Webs are a threat, Defog would give you a way to remove them, and HP Ice isn't a big lose since you have now Lando-t which is able to check the likes of Zygarde, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc.
For the spread, you might run a more defensive spread now.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Scald

Afterwards, your team looks more like a Bulky Offense / Balanced but I think it looks better now. Be careful of things like Psychic Spam or Mega Venusaur which are still somewhat threatening... hope the rate helped you though.

hey, nice team you've built, gengar is a really cool Pokemon so it's cool to see someone uses it. The weaknesses you notified are right, Toxapex and Tangrowth can be annoying since Zapdos is the only thing able to really check them, and Mammo doesn't like taking a scald or a giga drain. Another weakness I've found is Rain. Your actuel water resist is Keldeo which is easily wear down, meaning Pokemon like Mega Swampert are really threatening when Rain is up. Lastly, Mega Charizard X looks really scary as well as Ground-Types such as Excadrill and Lando-t since you don't have a reliable switch-in to them. Anyway, I'll suggest a few things to remedy that.

Major Changes

>
As I said, Rain teams as well as Toxapex are a real problem so I think replacing Magearna for Ferrothorn can be a good idea. Ferrothorn is able to pressure Rains with Power Whip and Leech Seed (Try to not get knocked) and also functions as your steel type which checks Pokemon like Latios, Tapu Lele, etc. It gives you a way to deal with Toxapex since it can only fish for burn. Lastly, it gives you the appreciated Spikes that would greatly help the sweep of Mega Lopunny. Spd Oriented Spread with Leftovers here.

>
I brought up Ground-Types and Mega Char X as threats and Lando-t is a great way to deal with them. It lives a Flare Blitz from +1 Mega Char X, and switch-in with ease into Pokemon like Excadrill. It gives you another ground immunity which is always appreciated. It also gives you a U-Turn user, so your sweepers can come in without risking anything. Lastly, since it checks Zygarde with HP Ice, it gives you the possibility of running something else on Zapdos. Defensive Spread with Leftovers here.

Minor Change

Defog > HP Ice
This is the only minor change I'd make. Since you pointed out the fact Webs are a threat, Defog would give you a way to remove them, and HP Ice isn't a big lose since you have now Lando-t which is able to check the likes of Zygarde, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc.
For the spread, you might run a more defensive spread now.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Fake Out

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Scald

Afterwards, your team looks more like a Bulky Offense / Balanced but I think it looks better now. Be careful of things like Psychic Spam or Mega Venusaur which are still somewhat threatening... hope the rate helped you though.
Hey, thanks for the very detailed rate! I like the suggestions and has given me a good amount to think about. I do note the Charizard weakness, as my way of dealing with it prior was pretty much get a suitably strong hit with whatever is in (or a paralysis with Zapdos) and hope to revenge it at merely +1 with Keldeo, since Hydro Pump kills with Rocks. Not ideal, by any means. Grounds were relying on Zapdos staying healthy, although Zygarde which was a pain. Again, this was my hope against rain teams - hope to take Pelipper out early and revenge Mega Swampert with Keldeo. Ferrothorn sounds a much better solution however,

The main concern I'd have with the adjustments is I'd say it weakens my matchup against stall, which wasn't great to begin with. Mega Sableye in particular being a problem, as well as opposing Zapdos and the aforementioned Tangrowth. Wondering if Rockium-Z Landorus might be a decent shout, since it would eliminate Skarmory, Celesteela and Zapdos for Lopunny while being more threatening to stall, but then again it leaves me more open to Zygarde and Charizard.

...I really should stop theorying and actually give each change a try. Huge thanks once again.

Hey, if you want a good stall match up try to use this M-lopunny set.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

The classic stall teams almost always run M-sab and is a common lead bacause they want the abillity to keep hazard from the field with magic bounce. Lead lopunny and mega. spam Pup and try to get a few boost, they will almost always try to burn you after with Wow, (or switch to pex.... stay in and wait for the scald burn).
The idea of this set is to get burned so you get the facade boost.

Let me show you some calcs from a facade boosted attack.

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye: 297-351 (98 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+1 252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 246-289 (81.1 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 208-246 (52.7 - 62.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 192-226 (50.1 - 59%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

After the facade boost you 2hko almost every mon on a stall team,

I suggest using simia's rate, it gives you a solid team in the higher tier, and with the lopunny set I wrote above you have a good stall matchup.

I hope this set will help you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)