Gliscor

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was speaking of Gliscor in the viability ranking thread, I think I should give a thread to discuss about him.
So I think there are two main sets for him, I would like to put the SR setter as the main one.

SR setter

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt / Roost
- Toxic
- Earthquake

This set is really similar to Landorus-T main set : same typing, similar bulk (Intimidate mean better physical bulk but less recovery compared to Poison Heal), similar role.
Lando-T and this Gliscor check the same mons, mainly Zekrom and Groudon, while they both fear many special sweepers, mainly Palkia, Kyogre and Xerneas.

Compared to Lando-T :
+ Status absorber thanks to Poison Heal
+ Stallbreaker thanks to Toxic+Taunt, which also give more switch-in opportunities to set SR
+ Can keep its rocks up against some Defog users such as Giratina and Scizor thanks to Taunt
- Is less powerful (Lando-T does about 50% more damage)

I think this is more than just a niche : he is one of the best options as a SR setter, especially for teams lacking a cleric.
A replay to see this set in action : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-81460418

Substitute

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Protect / Roost / Taunt
- Toxic / Knock Off
- Earthquake

The classic Gliscor set. The speed let it outspeed any unscarfed 90 base speed.
Thanks to Poison Heal 12.5% recovery and Sub/Protect combo, it can stall out slower mons for 32 turns.
If the opponent is badly poisoned, you can watch him die slowly.
There are many ways to check this set : RestTalk (better this gen thanks to new sleep counter mechanism), Roar/Whirlwind, some steels, priority, a way to hit through substitute or faster special sweepers with cleric support.
However, if there isn't any good check alive, Gliscor can slowly clean up the opposing team pretty well.

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I was talking about Gliscor with hack and polop, and we all pretty much agreed that Gliscor is pretty good in a Lando-T sort-of role. It's ability to be immune to all status is huge in this metagame, and that combined with Taunt can let you mess up walls and perform a nice stallbreaking role. You aren't as bulky as lando with an intimidate but you're going to be healing much faster and don't have to rely on intimidate so it more than evens out.

The key merit of using this over Lando-T is in Poison Heal. Immunity to status grants it a unique and valuable niche in checking Ho-Oh without the possibility of being crippled by residual burn damage. This is huge in itself, as Gliscor will find it much easier to set up SR repeatedly against Ho-Oh teams. In fact, if team structure permits, one might consider running Roost over Taunt just so Gliscor can go all out in checking Ho-Oh (also note its great base 95 speed). Top-tier SR setter for balanced/stallish teams this gen.

The key merit of using this over Lando-T is in Poison Heal. Immunity to status grants it a unique and valuable niche in checking Ho-Oh without the possibility of being crippled by residual burn damage. This is huge in itself, as Gliscor will find it much easier to set up SR repeatedly against Ho-Oh teams. In fact, if team structure permits, one might consider running Roost over Taunt just so Gliscor can go all out in checking Ho-Oh (also note its great base 95 speed). Top-tier SR setter for balanced/stallish teams this gen.
Gliscor with Roost can check most Ho-oh except Choice Band Brave Bird which can make the 2HKO. Even without Roost, you have an easy time setting SR against Leftovers Ho-oh, which is not the case of Landorus-T because of the burn chance.
But if you run Roost over Taunt you're losing both the ability to keep SR on against some defoggers and the ability to stallbreak. You're also becoming set up bait for spikes setters.
Roost is still viable, so I slashed it with Taunt.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use roost on the SR set, all 4 moves are more important, taunt is the biggest niche other than the apparent status immunity. Being able to sponge burns and taunt fat Giratina trying to defog hazards is important at least in ladder play where this type of mon is quite present. Toxic is important as it lures in and cripples defogers and also puts a timer on Ho-oh.

for reference I have one team that was hard walled by Giratina due to having no good status sponge and no strong dragons/xerneas. A change from the previous SR setter Lando-T to Gliscor solved those issues remarkably well, although I won't reveal the team here anyone interested can pm me for a hint or copy if you are nice enough

How about a bulky SD set?

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder Fang / Fire Fang / Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
- Roost / Baton Pass

This set should work great against many other bulky threats, especially the meta's birds, or the ones sent in to counter-wall you like Slowbro.
The last move may be slashed with a third attacking move.

Can people stop trying to be "original" and suggesting that a mon with a jawbreaking 95 base attack/speed and try using it as a sweeper? As opposed to its primary goal of being a phys wall/stall bitch. K thx
I use my Gliscor as a physical sweeper. My Gliscor doesn't have Toxic heal ability thus I decided to use it as a sweeper and he's doing fine. Having access to stab Earthquake and Acrobatics can be devastating. The only downside is that for my Gliscor to be a threat I can't carry an item.

I'm thinking of replacing Knock Off with Fling, this way I can get double powered Acrobatics on the next turn, but Knock off is very useful especially against defensive pokemons using leftovers/blacksludge.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I use my Gliscor as a physical sweeper. My Gliscor doesn't have Toxic heal ability thus I decided to use it as a sweeper and he's doing fine. Having access to stab Earthquake and Acrobatics can be devastating. The only downside is that for my Gliscor to be a threat I can't carry an item.

I'm thinking of replacing Knock Off with Fling, this way I can get double powered Acrobatics on the next turn, but Knock off is very useful especially against defensive pokemons using leftovers/blacksludge.
We can forgive you for this, you're new.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
SD Scor is a perfectly viable set, while not by any means it's best set, or "devastating," it can actually work sometimes. It's main draw over something like SD Lando-T is it's ability to heal with Poison Heal and it's higher speed, accompanied by the fact no-one expects it. While it is easily revenged by Scarfed Kyogre, so is SD Donner, SD Arc Ground, etc. Fling is also a cool move to do respectable damage to Gengar, preventing a 50/50 in terms of Mgengar not mega-evolving or mevolging. (Yes it lives Shadow Ball from Mgengar lol)

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
252 Attack/252 speed /4 hp
Jolly/Adamant

Sd/Eq/Fling/Acro
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)