goosebumps thread

RODAN

Banned deucer.
hi i was talking about goosebumps on irc and everyone seemed to have tons of nostalgia for them

what was your favourite/least favourite

my personal favourite will always be ghost beach

just look at this fucking ending

"The three children stare at the two human siblings and suddenly their ghostly skin peels off and the horrible skeleton children are calling for the non-ghost brother and sister to stay in the cave with them. Jerry and Terri decline and the old man is trapped with the ghosts in the cave forever. The two human siblings go back to tell Brad and Agatha all about their adventure, and the elderly couple is very relieved that the children are safe."

my least favourite would have to be

man this book was retarded

also the best cover goes to

but its nothing like the alt art

In fourth grade, my classroom received thousands of dollars worth of new books. As an avid reader, I was absolutely thrilled. I would always finish my work as fast as possible then tell the teacher, so that I would have permission to leave my desk and choose a book. Included in the boxes were many copies of Goosebumps books, and they were adored by everyone in the class. I soon got addicted to the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure ones (and I would always cheat, of course, to see all the endings). I was deeply absorbed in reading all the Goosebumps books for the first week or two until my teacher scolded me and said I should be reading something more intelligent and suited to my tastes... so then I just read them secretly :x lol I would read anything as a kid, no matter how bad, no matter how good. I just wanted to read.

I think the one that managed to scare me the most was this one:

And by 'the most', I mean that I thought it was gross, because I wasn't actually scared of books as a kid. And what creeped me out the most? The cover, it's fucking creepy as hell, and that's why I remember it the best of all the ones I read. The monster description was really gross as well ugh. I didn't like the gross books at all, but this one sticks out in my memory for the reasons I mentioned.

Baby-Sitters' Club the best oldschool gigantic book metaseries, I read all the spinoffs too aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I loved it and wanted to be a babysitter so badly even though I didn't like kids at that age and still don't

The only Goosebumps book I've read/owned is 'The Cuckoo Clock of Doom'. The implications of the 'rewinding' in it were rather frightening at the time.

oh I dont remember any of their names, but i remember being very scared of the movie version of the one where they get locked in a tower when i was really young :x

Haha that blog is great
I never really got into Goosebumps massively as a kid but if I was bored I would read one and feel proud that I wasn't scared n_n
How crushing it was when I found out that no one found them scary :/

When I was a kid there was nothing scarier then thought of a midget (or something with midget-like qualities) sneaking into my room all stealthy and stabbing me or killing me in some nasty midget-like way. That is why my favorite Goosebumps is:

There were 3 Night of the Living Dummy books number 2 being most memorable due to the pink and green cover. Aside from the cute cover it should be noted that it has one of the most bizaar endings ever, where the dummy's head cracks open revealing some alien/demon worm (probably parasitic by nature from what I've gathered) inside that just ends up crawling away...

There were 3 Night of the Living Dummy books number 2 being most memorable due to the pink and green cover. Aside from the cute cover it should be noted that it has one of the most bizaar endings ever, where the dummy's head cracks open revealing some alien/demon worm (probably parasitic by nature from what I've gathered) inside that just ends up crawling away...
I remember reading this! The ending really confused me when I was little... The Living Dummy books were super duper fucked up. But looking at the cover of Night of the Living Dummy II, I definitely think that the scariest thing about the Goosebumps books is the cover art. Their facial expressions are nothing short of disturbing. Some good covers:

oh god the faces

But the award goes to:

And second place to this one, which RODAN brought to my attention:

oh my god rofl

Also, how did I forget this one? hahaha definitely a literary masterpiece.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I think the fact that his name is R.L. Stine (sounding much like Frankenstein) was a reason I found those books a bit creepy.

Never got around reading them all due to their strange nature, though.

This was so scary to read and watch. I remember shielding my eyes at some points because I couldn't watch any longer.

This was also scary especially the part where the librarian (i think?) tries to eat the girl. I had nightmares for weeks

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
King Jellyjam was that blob that sweat snails and couldn't pick up the hose to wash itself, right?

the only 2 that were legitimately creepy were:

the say cheese and die one was decent too. however, my favorite goosebumps were the CYOA goosebumps:

these books were awesome and actually ended in actual death/horrifying end for the reader. all it takes is one bad choice. you could spend a while going through it and trying to find each different story. amazing stuff

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I remember reading this! The ending really confused me when I was little... The Living Dummy books were super duper fucked up. But looking at the cover of Night of the Living Dummy II, I definitely think that the scariest thing about the Goosebumps books is the cover art. Their facial expressions are nothing short of disturbing. Some good covers:

oh god the faces

But the award goes to:

And second place to this one, which RODAN brought to my attention:

oh my god rofl

Also, how did I forget this one? hahaha definitely a literary masterpiece.
You picked out most of my favourites right there! The Living Dummy books and The Girl Who Cried Monster were probably right up there for me, as well as all the Choose Your Own Adventure books! Ahhhh I love the Goosebumps books, started reading them when I was 5-6 and own about 20-30 books - I kid you not! I don't know where my family has moved them though, they haven't been in my room for years so maybe my sister or brother has them -_-.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I read a few of these back in the day. My favourite was

I found Goosebumps in general dumb, yet oddly fun to read. I probably got through around 20-30 of these, from my school library.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this brings back a lot of memories. Goosebumps was the reason why i started to go to public libraries as a kid

of the original 65 i read about 30 of them when I was in 3-5th grade. i remember chciken chicken beig one of the funniest books that I have ever read due to just how bad it was. I also read the camera one (both parts). and those were just as bad, even though i laughed hard at the girl's skirt dropping in the midle of the hallway.

I also partially blame these books for ruining my willingness to read anything later on in my life, I'm not even close to recovering since the only things I avidly read are comic books (and we all know how bad some of those can be)

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yeah, Haunted Mask scared the crap out of me. As memory serves it was about some lass who put on a Halloween mask and couldn't get it off and it slowly began to become her face. i remember the descriptions of the smell of the mask and the sense of claustrophobia the girl had inside it. i don't know how it would stand up to my adult standards but i remember it being beautifully and eerily descriptive. some 15 years later and i still think of it when i smell that sorta plastic material that masks are made of.

i reread one of my old goosebumps books fairly recently, and found out they're actually quite badly written. childhood memories destroyed j_j

(i preemptively sold my nancy drew and hardy boys collection)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)