HaxCalculator

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I half expect it to be moved!

Anyways, over the time I've played I've been a bit curious about the probabilities of certain "haxings" that I've been on the receiving end of. You know what I'm talking about:

hurt yourself in confusion (50%)
hurt yourself in confusion (50%)
frozen (10%)
still frozen (75%)
still frozen (75%)
still frozen (75%)
missed stone edge (20%)
enemy crit on extremespeed (6.25%)
etc.

So I developed a tiny calculator that tells you the odds of the hax happening to you!

http://www.polatrite.com/files/haxcalc.php

Simply punch in the hax of things that happen to you and away you go. I've used it during quite a few matches, and when I win, it lets me know how "real" the victory was, instead of relying on hax. And same for losing.

Hopefully someone else will find it useful.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Uh... if the hax occurs and it favors you, then its "Good". If the hax occus and its unfavourable for you, then its "Bad". Like if you miss Hydro Pump, its "Bad" hax. But if your opponent misses the Hydro Pump, then its "Good" hax. I think...

Edit: Oops too slow

Oh wow this is pretty fucking cool knowing.

One game I barely got a opponent down and finally got it in range to kill, it landed a second protect then I missed with a second draco meteor. In that same game I missed WoW two times.

Odds of hax this bad: 1 in 320 (or 0.3125%)

AHSUM

I do love this tho.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's cool but I hope it doesn't enter the battling scene too much. Most hax is relatively harmless - CHing a Skarmory with U-turn or something. Doesn't mean you would have won the game.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The problem is that this does not have a way to account for the number of turns on which hax could have occurred. For example, if your opponent attacks with moves that will never miss (baring non competitive stuff), and you use Hydro Pump and the like or even Rock Slide repeatedly and they miss a reasonable number of times, it will show up as hax in their favor when really the luck has been fair, you just chose more risky moves. It also does not take any account how much hax affects the game (though this is virtually impossible to define, unless you can check each possible way the game could develop, which you can't. Pokemon is worse than chess in that respect, all those RNG calls... off topic enough.). Also things like Stone Edge hitting (or Iron Head not flinching) should be considered "good" hax, and Outrage going for 3 turns not two is often negative as it stops you switching for an extra turn.

In short, it does not take some important factors into account, so does not give a realistic number for the probability. It could also lead to some players accusing others of hax based on this, which would not necessarily be accurate.

Also what it provides is something that can be done just (or almost) as fast with a normal calculator given a basic understanding of probability.

Edit: at least you got the forum to post it in right. that's something.

Edit 2: If you got this to a stage where it could take whole shoddy logs and analyze for all forms of luck (discounting importance, as that is near impossible to check for) it could be somewhat helpful, so long as its made clear that the "hax" number given is not to be relied upon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)