ORAS OU Hazard Control

Tele

a quality human being

Art by me (did my best im not a grapher ehe)

Introduction/Teambuilding Process
So this is a very particular (unique?) balanced team built around stallbreaker Talonflame and CM M-Sableye; from the beginning the purpose of the team has been to prevent my opponent to set any sort of hazards, this way my Talonflame has better chances to attempt a clean sweep in the late game; Mega Sableye was obviously the best choice to fullfill this role, but I realized pretty soon how many Stealth Rock users give him an hard time, most notably Heatran and Empoleon (Landorus-t can also pressure Sableye by costantly u-turning on the switch to the point I can't switch safely on him anymore); therefore I needed a defogger/spinner that could relieve the pressure on Sableye, and Starmie was definetely the mon I was looking for: decent bulk, can heal off safely more than once throughout the game, it can switch on a good number of common threats like Keldeo and Mega Metagross and not to mention it's also a decent status absorber. At this point 3/6 of the team was done and all I still needed was a SR setter, a steel type for fairies, a ground type to stop annoying voltturn, a heal user and a ManaphyBisharpLati@sAzumarill counter. I realized pretty soon how unaware Clefable was mandatory here, as I didn't have many other ways to stop Tail Glow Manaphy and Nasty Plot Thundurus; this also gave me a reliable heal user and something for opposing Sableye. Then I started looking for my sr setter, and after discarding Heatran as I didn't need another Clefable counter having already Talonflame and my own Clefable, I pretty much restricted the choice between Landorus-T and Hippowdon. Hippowdon resulted to be the better choice here being able to switch on Bisharp and many others powerfull physical attackers like M-Lopunny, M-Gallade, M-Metagross and M-Charizard X even more than once thoughout the battle, unlike Landorus-t; Hippowdon also has a decent special bulk, avoiding the 2kho from HP Ice M-Manectric and Raikou, and thus allowing me to shut down volturn cores pretty easily. Last but not least, the steel type, the fairy resistor, the last link in the chain; Jirachi has been my 1st choice for this spot, being the perfect M-Gardevoir and Diancie switch; at the same time, I realized after a few battles how weak to Azumarill I was; reluctantly, I decided to switch Jirachi with Ferrothorn, allowing me to have a better answer to Azumarill, M-Gyarados and Manaphy; on the other hand, Gardevoir becoms a much bigger threats to my team, since only Talonflame and Ferrothorn can somehow stop it: this doesn't mean it's an autoloss for me when I face a Gardevoir, it just means that I have to play very smart from the beginning, settings my rocks immediately and pivoting around Talonflame.

At the end of all, the team resulted to be very similar to the team I've been using against pdc for OLT semis (replay) two weeks ago; however, this version is much more solid than the old one, as Hippowdon fits much better than Lando as the setter, and Keldeo didn't provide the fairy resist I needed. Many people don't like Ferrothorn because of his passivity, and I agree with most of them; this being said, I think that the Knock Off set makes it a much less passive presence than you would think. The team is one week old, even tho it only took me 2 days to peak 1 on the showdown ladder.

InDepth

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball​

Even tho I don't agree with S rank M-Sableye at all, it's an excellent mon able to perform a good number of roles very effectively. It's a pain for stall, because their Chansey isn't going to do shit, and it's a pain for Offense because their sr lead can't do shit too: Garchomp can have Lum Berry, but I usually don't mega evolve 1st turn in this case, so I will have Prankster the 2nd turn too; Skill Swap Azelf will have an hard time to set rocks too for the same reason, because I can choose when to Mega evolve. It's my 2nd win con behind Talonflame, since after 1-2 cms it becomes very dangerous for offensive and balanced styles, especially if their fairy type is gone.

Spread Explanation
I choose the physical set because I needed another physical wall after Hippowdon; then I choose Shadow Ball over Dark Pulse because it gives me more chances to win an eventual 1on1 against Bulk Up Talonflame, being able to drop the Special Defense; drops are something you always appreciate anyway.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost
The thing I like more about this set is the fact that people thinks to Talonflame as an offensive
presence mostly, and therefore they prepare for all-out CB or SD version, without considering the bulky set in their teambuilding process; in fact many pokemons that can perfectly wall the offensive sets (like Alomomola and Heatran) are impotent against the SpeDef set, which makes it incredibly easy for Talon to break though the opposing team; even solid counters like Rotom-w and Zapdos can be crippled quite easily thanks to Will-o-Wisp (Knock Off Ferrothorn is also a nice lure for these mons). Talonflame results to be my win condition the 90% of the times I'd say, especially against stall and balance, and the synergy with M-Sableye and Starmie is out of question. The synergy with Rocky Helmet Hippowdon is very good too, because it takes well Electric types like Raikou and Manectric, and Scarf Lando-t and Tyranitar too. SpeDef Talon is also a reliable CharY/Gengar/Lando-I answer, which are notably the most dangerous mons to face for balanced-oriented playstyles like mine (and anyway, the only other possible choice was AV Tornadus-T). Together with Ferrothorn it also allows me to stop any Mega Altaria form (Ferro takes DDroostQuakeReturn form, Talonflame can take Special Altaria).

Spread Explanation​
248 HP and 220 SpD allows me to take well CharY's Flamethrower under the Sun and Gengar's Sludge Wave, which are the most powerfull special attacks in the game right now. I gave 40 Atk evs because I felt like it needed some atk power, making me sure I 1hko Keldeo and 2kho Lat@s.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Talonflame: 191-226 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery > Roost has priority so it can't beat me and it will eventually die to LO

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 44 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
I firmly believe that the guy who first innovated Reflect Type Starmie should get a statue lol. Basically, this Starmie is there for Heatran, because as you can see the rest of the team is very weak to it, especially if it carries taunt. It easily wins the sr-rapid spin war against 3 of the most common and annoying sr users, Heatran, Clefable and Empoleon (all of 3 happen to be a solid M-Sableye counter). Starmie is more important than you would think against Stall, because scald is the only way I have to status opposing Sableye, and therefore my opponent will run out of heal bell very soon (sooner than me anyway). It can also spin at any moment against offense, which I often need to, since I will probably not be able to mega evolve immediately with Sableye. I can't afford to lose Starmie early game anyway.

Spread Explanation
24 Speed to outspeed Thundurus, rest in HP and Def to better counter Mega Metagross, especially if it carries Pursuit; Grass Knot isn't that big of a problem thanks to Reflect type. The trio Hippowdon-Starmie-Ferrothorn manages to deal with every Mega Meta variant anyway (because if it has Grass Knot it will probably lack Hammer Arm, and anyway it's likely gonna die to Rocky Helmet+Iron Barbs recoil).​

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 232 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge​

I'm genuinely surprised about how I didn't notice this fucking monster until now. Amazing physical bulk, decent special bulk even if univested, Hippowdon allowed the team to make the qualitative leap it needed. Perfect Lopunny and Char-X counter, it's also a reliable Bisharp (flinch permitting) and opposing Talonflame's answer. It's also bulky enough to avoid the 2kho from Manectric and stops Magnezone, 2 things I really neededto cover. I was initially running whirlwind instead of Stone Edge, but I then realized how stallbreaker Talonflame could have become a potential threat to my team.

Spread Explanation
Like I said, I wanted to survive the 2kho from things like Manectric and Raikou, this way I don't lose too much momentum; rest in Def and HP.
252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 176 HP / 100 SpD Hippowdon: 156-184 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
I honestly don't like unaware Clefa that much; the synergy with sand storm Hippo isn't that great too. On the other hand tho, it's the only thing that can stop boosters on my team, fucking boosters like CroBro, CM Keldeo, NP Thundurus, TG/CM Manaphy; the combination with Leech Seed Ferro is very helpfull here, especially against Manaphy and Slowbro. Unaware Clefable+Ferrothorn also perfectly counters SD Gliscor, which has surprisingly increased in popularity recently (I just leech seed first, then I go to Clefable; leech aren't even that necessary here anyway).

Spread Explanation
You may ask, why not full Def on a fucking unaware Clefable. Thing is, full Def doesn't counter NP LO Thundurus, doesn't counter TG-Surf-under Rain-Manaphy; this spread was pretty much the only possible one: with 164 Def evs I can take well Latios LO Psyschok and BDrum Azumarill Play Rough.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
My Fairy resistor, my M-Gyarados and Azumarill counter; not much else to say. I honestly preferred Jirachi, but being that Azumarill-weak isn't allowed. Knock Off can be very helpfull at times, since the opponent doesn't really expect it; this way I can Kncok Off Lefties from Heatran or Eviolite from Chansey. Having Knock Off also makes me less Gothitelle weak, since it's one more mon that cannot be trapped (Sableye and Talonflame are the other 2). It's also my best mon on this team against rain, as Protect-Leech Seeding usually results a good tactic against it.

Spread Explanation
Standard spread l0l. Should make it bulkier on the special side maybe.

Threat List
It's the biggest threat. Especially if paired with Healing Wish Latias.
+
Charizard Y + CB tyra is a big problem, since Pursuit will do too much damage to Talonflame. Luckily tho, CS tyra is almost always preferred to CB, so I don't really have to worry.
Gothitelle can trap 3 out of my 6 mons. Clefable would be the biggest loss, since if Talonflame and Sableye gets statused, I need to heal them.
CB Victini is fucking strong oo. Luckily Sand+Rocky Helmet recoil do enough damage to the point Talonflame kills with 1 Brave Bird. Still I might lose 1-2 mons in the process.
Ferrothorn is kinda my only M-Swampert counter so I figured I should mention this oo

Nobody, I made this jewel by myself.
No actually shoutouts to dEnIsSsS who helped me to conceive the team

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 44 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 220 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 232 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

I'll be back with a Mega Altaria team soon.

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Really solid looking team Tele.

The only real optimization I can make off the top of my head is to use Power Whip > Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn so Sub DD Mega Gyara doesnt just set up all over you, especially since it's supposed to be your M Gyara counter as stated in your description.

Sure you have Clefable to negate the boosts but 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
One flinch behind a Sub is all it takes
Edit: wait Mold Breaker I'm dumb lol
No reason to take the risk, plus, you dont really state what Gyro Ball hits for your team, especially when Knock Off already hits Latis.

Last edited:

The only real optimization I can make off the top of my head is to use Power Whip > Gyro Ball on Ferrothorn so Sub DD Mega Gyara doesnt just set up all over you, especially since it's supposed to be your M Gyara counter as stated in your description.

Sure you have Clefable to negate the boosts but 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

No reason to take the risk, plus, you dont really state what Gyro Ball hits for your team, especially when Knock Off already hits Latis.

Mold Breaker breaks Unaware, so M-Gyrados is problematic. all in all though, nice team Tele .

Tele

a quality human being

Mold Breaker breaks Unaware, so M-Gyrados is problematic. all in all though, nice team Tele .
Thanks both. Thing is, Gyro Ball is going to break the Substitute after 1 DD, so M-Gyara can't really do much work; Hippowdon can bring sand + Rocky helmet damage (19%), while Talonflame can take off that last 30% of health. Talonflame is also faster than Mega Gyarados before it dragon dances, so it's gonna get burned. I don't see M-Gyarados as that big menace honestly.
40 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 106-126 (32 - 38%) -- 94.4% chance to 3HKO

i liked this team better when honus made it
what's even this comment this teams mine whos even honus is he a random get out pls

Reymedit : Gyro Ball is already 150 BP at 0 so you dont break if he gets +1 speed.

teledit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-209605066
this replay shows that even in the worst scenario (where rocks aren't up on his field, sand isn't up and he wins the 50-50 leech or sub), his Gyarados is gonna be damaged to the point where Talonflame can revenge (Hippo too with sand + Helmet). Also it's very likely that when Gyarados comes in the sand is up, given that Hippowdon is my sr user and he (the opponent) will probably send in Gyarados the same turn I set rocks to avoid the 25% rocks damage.

Last edited:
how can u break opponent's Mega Eye Stall team? your 2 stallbreakers: Talonflame and Mega Sableye are completely countered by Mega Eye and Chansey respectively.

how can u break opponent's Mega Eye Stall team? your 2 stallbreakers: Talonflame and Mega Sableye are completely countered by Mega Eye and Chansey respectively.
Unaware Clef KOs Sableye, Knock Off from Ferrothorn cripples Chansey, as well as Talon's Taunt.

Unaware Clef KOs Sableye, Knock Off from Ferrothorn cripples Chansey, as well as Talon's Taunt.
i mean if the opponent always make the correct play, all it needs is just Mega Eye and Chansey, your team just cannot do any thing: any damage can be recovered, cannot set hazards... The opposing team may cannot touch you but u cannot do any harm back neither :v

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks both. Thing is, Gyro Ball is going to break the Substitute after 1 DD, so M-Gyara can't really do much work; Hippowdon can bring sand + Rocky helmet damage (19%), while Talonflame can take off that last 30% of health. Talonflame is also faster than Mega Gyarados before it dragon dances, so it's gonna get burned. I don't see M-Gyarados as that big menace honestly.
40 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 106-126 (32 - 38%) -- 94.4% chance to 3HKO

what's even this comment this teams mine whos even honus is he a random get out pls

Reymedit : Gyro Ball is already 150 BP at 0 so you dont break if he gets +1 speed.

teledit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-209605066
this replay shows that even in the worst scenario (where rocks aren't up on his field, sand isn't up and he wins the 50-50 leech or sub), his Gyarados is gonna be damaged to the point where Talonflame can revenge (Hippo too with sand + Helmet). Also it's very likely that when Gyarados comes in the sand is up, given that Hippowdon is my sr user and he (the opponent) will probably send in Gyarados the same turn I set rocks to avoid the 25% rocks damage.
In the end though this means you basically sack Ferro for no reason just to RK it when you could have gotten out of that with a fairly healthy Ferro if you had Power Whip > Gyro, especially if the Gyara has EQ over Crunch.

Again, I'm not sure what all you lose by replacing Gyro Ball, you're still hitting M Gard very hard with Power Whip, though since that's at the top of your threat list I can see the reasoning for using Gyro over Whip.

Last edited:

Tele

a quality human being
i mean if the opponent always make the correct play, all it needs is just Mega Eye and Chansey, your team just cannot do any thing: any damage can be recovered, cannot set hazards... The opposing team may cannot touch you but u cannot do any harm back neither :v
You made a good argument. Mega Sableye + Chansey stall isn't absolutely a problem tho, I'd even say it's even one of the nicer match ups this team has. In fact it pretty much comes down to which Sableye will run out of recover sooner; and as you can notice I have more weapons than my opponent has to pressure the opposing Sableye: Hippowdon and Talonflame. That's because my opponent will always be forced to send in his Sableye on both of these mons, as Hippowdon can set rocks and Talonflame shuts down every other mon but his Sableye thanks to Wisp+Taunt. Little by little, I can make my opponent waste his recovers on Sableye (Earthquake+Sand Hippo, BB Talon), and thanks to the lack of passive recovery, his Sableye won't last too long.
Here's a replay of whay I just said http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-209308377 (from turn 23 onwards)

Hey there Tele, pretty solid looking team and I think there aren't any weak links in your team and the synergy is pretty amazing too.

I do notice that Exca in the sand can dent a lot of holes once Hippowdon is gone. Sure you have Ferro and Sabelye but once it sets up an SD I think it's pretty much gg.

That's all, hope I helped

How do you deal with SubCM Keldeo? It looks like a threat

And to deal with that, I suggest running Psyshock on Starmie.

otherwise, that #1 shows that your team is solid (or ladder is garbage xD). Props and gl.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
im honus

anyways i am not convinced you need gyro ball there, as smurf said it helps vs sub gyara and also with threats you need to kill in a pinch like a crawdaunt or mega swampert, gyro ball has a lot of overlap with knock off and i have always felt that power whip is useful because a lot of the pokemon that can threaten balanced/defensive cores are water types and its useful to dispose of them quickly with a super-effective hit.

the team is very nice though, i would not say the team layout in terms of pokemon "belongs" to a certain person since both versions were built independently of each other and function differently

How do you deal with SubCM Keldeo? It looks like a threat

And to deal with that, I suggest running Psyshock on Starmie.

otherwise, that #1 shows that your team is solid (or ladder is garbage xD). Props and gl.
Clefable beats it

Considering this is a sableye stall team that bears similarities to my own, I'm trying to find faults and holes in your team structure. Honestly though, I'm having trouble doing so because it's a very solid team. Outside of certain wall-breakers and some offensive cores, your team is capable of handling almost anything with the exception of the threats you listed.

One of my only issues with your team is that it's extremely passive, and this sometimes makes it easy for opposing balance/offense to overwhelm you with pressure. Ferrothorn seems to have the greatest offensive presence besides CM Sableye, and it happens to be walled by opposing Mega Sableye (another reason to run power whip i suppose). Naturally your only answer to opposing Sableye is either your own Sableye or Clefable, which puts you in a tough situation if the opponent is prepared to pressure these two. I understand, however, that your spreads really don't leave any room for offensive investment if you want to keep your ability to wall stuff. Instead of changing spreads, I think you should consider giving Talonflame SD or BU (i prefer SD) instead of will-o-wisp, because your team already has a lot of physical bulk and two other burn spreaders in Sableye and Starmie. From what I understand, your use of will-o-wisp on tflame is primarily for catching unsuspecting counters on the switch, thus making it easier to wear them down. I use the same move set so I'm aware of how useful the extra chip damage is, but I don't think it's all that necessary in your case.

Other things that seem to really threaten your team:
Specs Keldeo - kinda just punches holes if it picks the right move
Band Azumarill - punches holes and threatens ferro with superpower
Magnezone - im not gonna suggest replacing ferrothorn so idk lol
Lando-I - EP / knock off makes this thing difficult
LO Kyurem - i see iron head on this thing all the time, maybe its just me. but clefable doesn't like switching into Ice Beam anyway unless its at full

I'm not proposing any answers to these guys yet, but I'm wondering if you've been having difficulty with them because they're not all that rare. Anyways great team, and congrats on the peak!

edit: why is my post indented​

Last edited:
Your Hippowdon EVs are a bit inefficient. I recommend you change to a 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Impish spread. This spread will still allow you take Mega Manectric's HP Ice (slightly better, actually) while having a bit more physical bulk to better handle things like Mega Lopunny and Charizard X. It also hits a Def jump point, which is cool. Here's some calcs to demonstrate:

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 176 HP / 100 SpD Hippowdon: 156-184 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Hippowdon: 162-192 (38.5 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 176 HP / 232+ Def Hippowdon: 144-169 (35.9 - 42.1%) -- 89.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Hippowdon: 148-175 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 80% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And that's about as useful as this rate is going to get lol. But hey, every little bit counts, right?

Tele

a quality human being
Considering this is a sableye stall team that bears similarities to my own, I'm trying to find faults and holes in your team structure. Honestly though, I'm having trouble doing so because it's a very solid team. Outside of certain wall-breakers and some offensive cores, your team is capable of handling almost anything with the exception of the threats you listed.

One of my only issues with your team is that it's extremely passive, and this sometimes makes it easy for opposing balance/offense to overwhelm you with pressure. Ferrothorn seems to have the greatest offensive presence besides CM Sableye, and it happens to be walled by opposing Mega Sableye (another reason to run power whip i suppose). Naturally your only answer to opposing Sableye is either your own Sableye or Clefable, which puts you in a tough situation if the opponent is prepared to pressure these two. I understand, however, that your spreads really don't leave any room for offensive investment if you want to keep your ability to wall stuff. Instead of changing spreads, I think you should consider giving Talonflame SD or BU (i prefer SD) instead of will-o-wisp, because your team already has a lot of physical bulk and two other burn spreaders in Sableye and Starmie. From what I understand, your use of will-o-wisp on tflame is primarily for catching unsuspecting counters on the switch, thus making it easier to wear them down. I use the same move set so I'm aware of how useful the extra chip damage is, but I don't think it's all that necessary in your case.

Other things that seem to really threaten your team:
Specs Keldeo - kinda just punches holes if it picks the right move
Band Azumarill - punches holes and threatens ferro with superpower
Magnezone - im not gonna suggest replacing ferrothorn so idk lol
Lando-I - EP / knock off makes this thing difficult
LO Kyurem - i see iron head on this thing all the time, maybe its just me. but clefable doesn't like switching into Ice Beam anyway unless its at full

I'm not proposing any answers to these guys yet, but I'm wondering if you've been having difficulty with them because they're not all that rare. Anyways great team, and congrats on the peak!

edit: why is my post indented​
Yea this team in general is a little bit too passive even for my taste, but Talonflame puts a lot of pressure against Stall and Balance by spreading will-o-wisp and switching out the next turn until they are weakened enough, while I think that bulk up or sd would make me lose a lot of momentum.

Specs Keldeo can be problematic if I dont predict right, but unless it packs hpelectric/grass, Starmie hard counters it. For safety I might send Ferrothorn the 1st time, cos if they have hp for starmie, then they are going to use it 1st turn.

Band Azumarill can be worn down by sand+rocky helmet+iron barbs, and generally you can tell which set it has from team preview; might still add it to the threat list tho.

Magnezone isn't really a threat: Clefable can protect-scout, Hippowdon takes well non specs Flash Cannon, and Talonflame can roost on it (not if it is already at full ofc)
252 SpA Magnezone Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 105-124 (29.2 - 34.5%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery > when losing the flying type
Specs could definetely be more threatening, but as for Tyranitar, Scarf is much more preferred to Band/Specs

Lando-i: yea knock off on Talonflame would be annoying, but I have Ferro and Starmie too: unless he plays smart and doubles on Clefable Hippo or Sableye, i can keep it in check.

Kyurem-B: if it packs iron head, I doubt it packs hp fire too lol one way or another i might get rid of cube

Great team and is all around solid, but how do you beat hp fire diancie?
Clefable lol. Even tho I lose a lot of momentum by Protect-wishing, this also protects my ass from CM Diancie, which beats Magic Guard Clefable
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 162-192 (41.1 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 174-205 (44.1 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I thought you quit
I did quit the tournament environment, and now ill be honing my teambuilding abilities with my friend denissss for the next 7 months, until olt starts again. By the time, ill be ready to take my revenge on pdc.

updated the pic which looks way nicer now **

wow insane team Tele,not much to say because it's so good and the few things that could be said are already said.

Just one thing.Isn't foul play M-Sableye a bit annoying?

Tele

a quality human being
wow insane team Tele,not much to say because it's so good and the few things that could be said are already said.

Just one thing.Isn't foul play M-Sableye a bit annoying?
eh thanks
not really cos my Sableye can set up calm minds on it, does nothing to Clefable, does nothing to Hippowdon while taking rocky helmet+sand damage in return, and does not enough to 2kho Talonflame.

edit. ofc if it packs knock off + foul play (which is likely cos its the standard set) I'd rather not switch any of these mons but Sableye cos I try to keep my items as long as i can during the battle (passive recovery matters a lot against opposing stall)

Last edited:
Reading your RMT, i noticed that you rely on Sand Stream on Hippowdon for a bit of chip damage here and there.

However, i think running Sand Force instead might be better to prevent your own Unaware Clef from taking extra passive damage as well as Mega Sableye to stop them both from being dragged into 2hko range of certain attacks. Sand Storm also negates your Leftovers recovery on Talonflame and Starmie while summoning Sand for SD Rush Exca which can inflict heavy damage at +2 and sweep if Hippowdon is weakened.

• 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Clefable: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 84.8% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Clefable: 187-222 (47.4 - 56.3%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Clefable: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Clefable: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Clefable: 179-212 (45.4 - 53.8%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 92+ SpD Clefable: 179-212 (45.4 - 53.8%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
Not sure if these are the best examples but i hope you get my point.

Edit: Just realised Sand Stream improves your matchup vs Rain and prevents Ferrothorn from being overburdened so it might be a necessary evil. Up to you i guess.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)