Battle Spot Heatran Preview [Doubles]

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
[OVERVIEW]

Heatran's amazing typing and ability let it wall many metagame threats including Mega Charizard Y, Tapu Lele, Cresselia, Amoonguss, and Sylveon. It's high Special Attack allows to deal good damage to most pokemon with its spread Heat Wave which has great coverage with Earth Power. Heatran's prominence can work against it as some of the pokemon it is supposed to check will run a Ground-type Hidden Power just to get past it. Heatran also has a poor match up against threats like Landorus-T and Tapu Fini.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Standard Heatran
move 1: Heat Wave
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Flash Cannon / Substitute / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Protect
item: Shuca Berry / Leftovers / Firium Z
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Modest / Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Heat Wave is Heatran's main STAB attack chunking most pokemon even with spread reduction. Flamethrower could also used as a 100% accurate, single target alternative.

* Earth Power provides great coverage with Fire-type attacks. It hits opposing Heatran super effectively and Water-types neutrally.

* The last move is highly flexible and varies by team. Flash Cannon eliminates Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele and Sylveon more quickly than Heat Wave. Substitute can easily be set up with Heatran's numerous resistances and high bulk. A Heatran behind a Substitute is very difficult for many teams to take out. Hidden Power Ice can be used to eliminate Landorus-T and Mega Salamence.

* Shuca Berry allows Heatran to survive one unboosted Earthquake from Landorus-T. It also lets Heatran have a better match up against opposing Heatran. Leftovers should be used with Substitute to provide passive recovery. Firium Z gives a powerful Fire-type move that can get around Wide Guard.

* Modest is the preferred nature to give Heatran more power, but Timid can be used to have the best chance in Heatran mirrors and outspeed Jolly Breloom and Tapu Bulu. Bulkier spreads can also be used especially on Trick Room teams.

* Partners that can deal with Water-types and Landorus-T are especially crucial when using Heatran. Electric-Types such as Tapu Koko and Zapdos can hit Water-types super effectively. Amoonguss can redirect Water-types attacks and put Landorus-T to sleep even when Electric or Misty Terrain are active.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
So this has been sitting here for awhile and I never noticed oops. For the sake of simplicity as a preview I think we can trim out some of the Other Options tier stuff since the preview is ok with just the main stuff. Overheat, Firium Z and Solarbeam + Grassium Z (maybe Hidden Power but idk) can be cut out for now since they're way lower in usage than the rest of those moves, maybe even Flamethrower but that's still worth mentioning in set details. Otherwise just make a quick broad mention of the types of teammates Heatran wants (anti Lando-T, anti-Water) and I think this is good enough to go up.

EDIT: Actually I think Firium Z is fine there, usage is low but it's super useful as an option and probably worth keeping there. Same with Hidden Power Ice (no brackets though).

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
So this has been sitting here for awhile and I never noticed oops. For the sake of simplicity as a preview I think we can trim out some of the Other Options tier stuff since the preview is ok with just the main stuff. Overheat, Firium Z and Solarbeam + Grassium Z (maybe Hidden Power but idk) can be cut out for now since they're way lower in usage than the rest of those moves, maybe even Flamethrower but that's still worth mentioning in set details. Otherwise just make a quick broad mention of the types of teammates Heatran wants (anti Lando-T, anti-Water) and I think this is good enough to go up.

EDIT: Actually I think Firium Z is fine there, usage is low but it's super useful as an option and probably worth keeping there. Same with Hidden Power Ice (no brackets though).
Implemented, let me know if I should add more teammates.

Edit: Psynergy said it looked good on discord

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)