move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Leftovers
nature: Jolly
ev's: 252 Atk / 208 Spd / 44 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

How the set works:
When brought in after a team-mate has fainted, Hitmonlee is often assumed to be carrying a scarf. As long as it is brought in on a Pokemon that doesn't like it, it can Substitute while the opponent switches, this allows it to focus punch effectively and also blocks the WoW which can often plague Hitmonlee.
Sucker Punch is for the pesky ghosts and psychics that switch in on Hitmonlee expecting to resist the predicted Close combat/Focus Punch depending on how much of the set they have seen. Stone edge is for flying types.
It has enough EVs in speed to outrun a max speed, positive natured Milotic which is something that can absorb this Pokemons attacks and KO it back due to Hitmonlee's frail defences.

Counters: The obvious counters are physically bulky Pokemon such as Slowbro, Uxie and Claydol who resist the fighting attacks. This pokemon also dislikes, to a lesser extent: Weezing, Venusaur and Mismagius. Weezing and Venusaur can break the Sub and threaten status as well as walling Hitmonlee's moveset. Mismagius is also difficult to beat as it can use Substitute to create the mind games around Sucker Punch as well as possibly boosting in the process. (Milotic is explained above)

Team Options: Some good partners would be Absol or Drapion as both can carry a STABed Pursuit which will help get rid of the psychic types. Also any Pokemon that can fire off powerful special attacks to break through the physical walls will help a lot. Hitmonlee does appreciate Hazard support therefore Quilfish and Omastar could work in setting them up.

The problem I have with SubPunchers like Hitmonlee is that they have access to a much better move (Close Combat). SubPunch is good for something like Poliwrath who only has access to the weak Brick Break and has the bulk to pull it off.

I see this outclassed by the Sub + 3 Attacks set honestly, because that doesn't need a Substitute to hit Registeel, if the opponent knows your set there is no way Hitmonlee is gonna get a punch off.

First off, there's already a sub + 3 attacks set that works better than a subpuncher, because STAB Close Combat is so much better and more reliable as STAB than Focus Punch.
Second, Hitmonchan does this arguably better. Lastly, Max Speed should be used, helps you outrun Toxicroak and some Moltres and the HP EVs aren't necessary on something so frail that shouldnt be taking hits.

what do the evs do?
max speed lets you beat miltank, linone, and typhloshion, while running 216 speed lets you beat nuetral base 95's

I don't think this will get approved. Seems outclassed my normal sets. In the time it takes to set-up/attack, you could have used CC twice.

I'd actually prefer SubPunch Hitmonchan, just for the fact that it has Iron Fist, giving Focus Punch (IIRC) 270 Base Power.

I'd actually prefer SubPunch Hitmonchan, just for the fact that it has Iron Fist, giving Focus Punch (IIRC) 270 Base Power.
Its base 180 power.

what do the evs do?
max speed lets you beat miltank, linone, and typhloshion, while running 216 speed lets you beat nuetral base 95's
the Spe EVs give him enough speed to outspeed max speed milotic. miltank shouldn't really be switching in to hitmonlee anyway so that kind of moot.

but yeah this set does look outclassed by the sub+3 attacks. 30 base power isn't really worth it most of the time since you have to constantly resub after firing off a focus punch. (sorry porygon-d, i wasnt aware thatn set existed when i was helping you with this one)

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, Close Combat is probably always better than Focus Punch, especially considering Hitmonlee's relatively frailty.

QC Rejected 1/2

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is standard SubMonLee with Focus Punch over Close Combat, which is not a positive improvement. Sorry mate, please try your hand at contributing again though!

[Grimer Rejection Stamp]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)