Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I always hated how Focus Blast allows Pokemon to get past TTar that have no right doing so. It should become a 60 Acc move like Hypnosis in DPP. It's all or nothing. Plus TTar needs the buff.

Why would Recover be a tutor move? Unless i'm reading that post above all wrong.
Ttar is an A rank Pokemon, Mega Ttar is A+. It doesn't need to be buffed, Hoopa does.

Plus, Ghosts and Psychics are the most common Pokemon with Recover, iirc. It would make sense for Hoopa to get it.

I always hated how Focus Blast allows Pokemon to get past TTar that have no right doing so. It should become a 60 Acc move like Hypnosis in DPP. It's all or nothing. Plus TTar needs the buff.

Why would Recover be a tutor move? Unless i'm reading that post above all wrong.
People would complain 10x worse if it did not get Focus blast. Tyranitar is one of the most common Pokemon, it doesn't need a buff.

I'm sorry, but Tyranitar is one of the most common Pokemon and it's a fucking beast. It can be used defensively, offensively and it even has a fucking Mega if that wasn't enough, so why exactly does it need a buff? o.O
Most (if any) Special Attackers can't get past Chansey anyway, Focus Blast or not (I mean, not even STAB Psyshock does it), so it's not like they are suddently invincible.

Besides, that is just one mon (ttar). Knock Off allows most Pokemon (usually Fight types) to get past almost every Psychic and Ghost Pokemon and if not, crippling them for the rest of the match and you think that's fair?

I hardly think Recover will ever be a Move Tutor move, anyway.

I'm sorry, but Tyranitar is one of the most common Pokemon and it's a fucking beast. It can be used defensively, offensively and it even has a fucking Mega if that wasn't enough, so why exactly does it need a buff? o.O
Most (if any) Special Attackers can't get past Chansey anyway, Focus Blast or not (I mean, not even STAB Psyshock does it), so it's not like they are suddently invincible.

Besides, that is just one mon (ttar). Knock Off allows most Pokemon (usually Fight types) to get past almost every Psychic and Ghost Pokemon and if not, crippling them for the rest of the match and you think that's fair?

Even the defensive sets are all offensive lol damnnn...

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Game Freak hates stall, so I doubt Recover would ever be a Move Tutor.

Off topic: You've done nothing but bitch and moan about Hoopa. Yes, its not the best Pokemon, but its also not the worst by any means. 70 isn't as slow as people are saying. All Hoopa has to worry about from Bisharp--whom it speed ties with--is Sucker Punch which can be blocked by a Sub and Bisharp can't safely switch in. That 4x weakness to darkness is pretty unfortunate but thankfully there are 5 other teammates that can handle them. I'll agree with you that Knock Off is one of the best attacks in the game, but the users are pretty obvious and I don't see Hoopa trying to stay in on the likes of Scizor.

I actually am looking at Hoopa as a slower and bulkier version of Alakazam. It can be an amazing wallbreaker given the right support. Sticky Web and SR comes to mind with this thing as Hoopa can beat most Defog users 1v1.

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 296-351 (69.8 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 296-351 (69.8 - 82.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 218-257 (67.7 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 218-257 (67.7 - 79.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 304-359 (100.6 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 382-450 (114.3 - 134.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Skarmory: 281-333 (84.1 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Hoopa Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Skarmory: 281-333 (84.1 - 99.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Note: Choice Specs with Modest will guarantee a OHKO on all of these Pokes but I really think Hoopa will be wanting to run Timid and LO for a chance to beat Bisharp.

Will Hoopa be top-tier OU? I doubt it. Do I think that Hoopa can make an impact on the metagame? Yes. Should people stop bitching about a Pokemon and post things that are productive? Absolutely.

Just one question Chesnaught, won't Bisharp always go for the Sucker Punch on Hoopa? Meaning it should never switch into Bisharp.
I also think the prevalence of Knock Off and Pursuit in general will murder this guy unless it runs Substitute. Set would look something like:
Hoopa @ Leftovers
<undecided about the ability, maybe Modest>
EV's:64 HP/252 SpA/192 Spe
-Substitute
-Focus Blast
-Hyperspace Hole/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball

Speed EV's to outspeed standard Bisharp.

Just one question Chesnaught, won't Bisharp always go for the Sucker Punch on Hoopa? Meaning it should never switch into Bisharp.
I also think the prevalence of Knock Off and Pursuit in general will murder this guy unless it runs Substitute. Set would look something like:
Hoopa @ Leftovers
<undecided about the ability, maybe Modest>
EV's:64 HP/252 SpA/192 Spe
-Substitute
-Focus Blast
-Hyperspace Hole/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball

Speed EV's to outspeed standard Bisharp.

I like this set. I agree that you will never want to switch into Bisharp, but Bisharp will have to think twice about switching into you. As long as you are able to outrun the standard Bisharp, Modest may be the way to go. Is there any reason to run Hyperspace Hole over Psychic though?

Psychic and Hyperspace Hole are pretty much the same. Hitting past a Protect is nifty, the extra power from Psychic may be appealing too.
But Psyshock is probably better than both of them to hit Blissey/Chansey very hard.
+1 252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 436-514 (61 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 319-376 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Like I said this thing is probably the best stallbreaker there is in the meta(sorry megachomp)

Hoopa @ Leftovers
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
Psyshock along with TB and SB is pretty much anti-stall, as it says "fuck you" to chansey, mega venusaur, quagsire, skarmory, aegislash, chesnaught, hippowdon, clefable, mandibuzz, zapdos, yeah you get the point. Those 3 moves are such great coverage that it can run taunt in the last slot, so what it cannot 2HKO cant recover the damage off. its speed is pretty nifty, as it outspeeds the typically uninvested stall pokemon. Therefore with modest, it can be the stallbreaker it was meant to be. There are literally no counters; only checks. As soon as this nigga come out ima use him on my team because he is a godlike stallbreaker. Also if you want to gimmick you could use magician with no item to steal chanseys eviolite and other things.

WHY THE HATE

Stealing Eviolite could actually be possible. In fact, why not run a Colbur Berry, I thought, to survive a Dark type move like Knock Off?
Turns out, its still OHKO'd by most Knock Offs and Foul Plays ( even Mandibuzz ). So stealing stuff is a lost cause because I'd much rather have my own item.

Simply put, I can't see Magician working out well.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
All right this is just speculation, but I think Hoopa will get an alternate form:
-it's the second event legendary, since its Dex number is between Diancie and Volcanion
-which means it will probably star in the movie after the Xerneas/Yveltal/Diancie one
-said movie is likely to be about Zygarde showing off its new form(s?), like Giratina and Kyurem did
-notice a pattern yet? Who else got a new form in the Giratina and Kyurem movie? That's right, Shaymin and Keldeo, both event legendaries that were officially revealed when their respective movies came out!

Yeah I know X/Y shattered the "580 BST legendary trio" and "600 BST cute legendary with 100 in all stats" patterns, but they are keeping the "third version mascot getting a new form" one (not to mention the upcoming movie follows the exact same formula as the Dialga vs Palkia and Reshiram vs Zekrom ones, complete with a 600 BST event legendary getting shoehorned in it), so not all hope is lost.

Hoopa looks pretty solid. I don't know what you all are going on about. Magician has its uses, especially on someone who will often be running Substitute like Hoopa. It could easily afford to use a Sitrus Berry or the like. Items are incredibly important and being able to steal and use them is truly a blessing (unless you run into a Choice Band or Black Sludge pokemon) Brick Break and Calm Mind + Psyshock/Focus Blast allow it to get past the blobs and it can use Destiny bond once its hp gets low. Hyperspace Hole also craps on certain stallers with Wish + Protect and Protect + Poison Heal.
Choice Specs Hoopa definitely looks really strong and could possibly be its best set if Sub isn't. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast is perfect coverage and that 150 base Sp. Atk is amazing. 70 base Speed is good enough to wallbreaker and could be paired with Bisharp for an excellent wallbreaking core. Bisharp resists both Ghost and Dark and Hoopa is immune to the fighting attacks that Bisharp loathes.
Many of you are being way too cynical about this Pokemon. At least try to look into its potential. I see it being UU at minimum.

All right this is just speculation, but I think Hoopa will get an alternate form:
-it's the second event legendary, since its Dex number is between Diancie and Volcanion
-which means it will probably star in the movie after the Xerneas/Yveltal/Diancie one
-said movie is likely to be about Zygarde showing off its new form(s?), like Giratina and Kyurem did
-notice a pattern yet? Who else got a new form in the Giratina and Kyurem movie? That's right, Shaymin and Keldeo, both event legendaries that were officially revealed when their respective movies came out!

Yeah I know X/Y shattered the "580 BST legendary trio" and "600 BST cute legendary with 100 in all stats" patterns, but they are keeping the "third version mascot getting a new form" one (not to mention the upcoming movie follows the exact same formula as the Dialga vs Palkia and Reshiram vs Zekrom ones, complete with a 600 BST event legendary getting shoehorned in it), so not all hope is lost.
It's pretty much confirmed that the new forme will be going to Zygarde, not Hoopa. Zygarde has two new Signature moves and it's 99% certain they're Zygarde's, as the in-game moves have hexagons when they are used, just like on Zygarde.

Might as well take advantage of Magician, or at least try to...

Hoopa @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP, 4 Defense, 252 Special Attack
-Substitute
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball

Basically try to force something out, get a substitute, and regain health with Sitrus Berry. Then hopefully get a decent item like Leftovers or Life Orb. Kind of gimmicky and very situational, but might as well try to use Magician. Its STABs and Focus Blast get perfect coverage though, and Substitute does give it a chance to beat the likes of Aegislash and Talonflame.

It's pretty much confirmed that the new forme will be going to Zygarde, not Hoopa. Zygarde has two new Signature moves and it's 99% certain they're Zygarde's, as the in-game moves have hexagons when they are used, just like on Zygarde.
Shaymin, Meloetta and Keldeo got new forms alongside Giratina and Kyurem, so nothing really precludes Hoopa, Volcanion and/or Diancie from getting new forms.

The reason so many people are upset is because of this thing's speed combined with its defense and two quad weaknesses and very few usable resists. I hate mindlessly bashing new mons but I can see the point here; this thing will probably not stay in OU. In UU or RU however I think it will definitely be a big threat. Ghost and Psychic types almost never have attacking stats this high anywhere but OU or Ubers and mons in the former tiers will likely be unprepared when this thing drops. But the fact that it will be easily out-sped and KOed by anything with a Dark or Ghost move or STABed physical attack that it doesn't resist means OU just isn't having it. Its just too vulnerable. =/

This thing should've totally been a Ghost/Fighting-Type; complete with Prankster, Will-o-Wisp, and a few good STAB options to use with its stats. Instead we got the absolute KING of the gimmick armed with Ally Switch, Magician, Skill Swap, Guard/Power Split, Wonder Room, and Trick Room. They also picked a hell of a time to make a Ghost/Psychic-Type with how rampant Ghost and Dark are as attacking options (Knock Off, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Shadow Ball, etc.) on top of not giving this thing any good physical attacks to utilize that respectable 110 Attack stat (seriously no Shadow Sneak?). I don't see this thing getting very far in OU outside of being a Specs Nuke or Trick Room abuser/setter and even then you would most likely be better off with another Psychic or Ghost-Type. Sorry Hoopa, your design just screams "PRANKSTER!!!" and Ghost/Fighting Type, but it twas not meant to be :(

I looked at its stats and was like omg and this movepool. And all goes down after seeing its typing :x
But still more useful than Diancie...I mean look at this attacking stats and special defense. Put on something like Focus Sash and let it rob opposing 'mons.

Hoopa, I think, having got it from a powersave actually might make the cut to UU though it will most likely be in RU. Many people have dismissed it mainly due to its 4 times weakenss to dark and ghost. However it has no other weaknesses (ghost resists bug). That being said Hoopa is super frail physically having only 60 defence. It has a great special defence stat of 130 and with a base 80 HP it has pretty good special bulk. Hoopa a base 150 special attack and a usable attack of 110 and its signature move is Hyperspace Hole which is a psychic type feint with 80 BP. Yes base 70 speed sucks balls but this thing might be handy with a choice scarf allowing it to outspeed base 110s without a speed boosting nature. People are underestimating it right now imo.

Last edited:
At the very least I think it'll be banned from RU for the sheer fact of it's STAB and it's Special Attack. Due to said Special Attack being so ridiculously high, I could easily see a Scarf set of 3 attacks + Trick being very, very viable and scary. It may also get a Mega as Diancie did, but let's not hold our breath - even at the very least, there's no way this thing's being allowed in RU.

At the very least I think it'll be banned from RU for the sheer fact of it's STAB and it's Special Attack. Due to said Special Attack being so ridiculously high, I could easily see a Scarf set of 3 attacks + Trick being very, very viable and scary. It may also get a Mega as Diancie did, but let's not hold our breath - even at the very least, there's no way this thing's being allowed in RU.
If this thing is gonna get banned from RU why the frick is Exploud still around?

For the record, I do see this thing in UU as a wall breaker, though blissey existing is going to be a thorn in the side of scarf sets.

If this thing is gonna get banned from RU why the frick is Exploud still around?

For the record, I do see this thing in UU as a wall breaker, though blissey existing is going to be a thorn in the side of scarf sets.
Eh, you could say that for anything. Pair it up with a physical fighting type like, say, Infernape, Mienshao, Mega Lopunny... it could do work.

252+ SpA Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 289-342 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Blissey has to be at 100% and even then it risks a 2HKO from Psyshock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)