ORAS OU Hyper Offense and ClayThorn walls

Hello! Last time I was hear, I learned a valuable lesson in team building and synergizing my teams, and I've made a point to do so now. This team I've made has gotten me into the 1300's and close to the 1400's at times, but I'm wondering what all I should fix with this set.

Blazer (Charizard-Mega-X) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
Simple enough, with one Dragon Dance, Blazer is capable of destroying his enemies, and with roost, he is invincible against walls, and makes himself a great wall breaker at that.

Sam (Bisharp) (F) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Sam is my favorite lead on the team, having access to knock off, she can get rid of lead walls leftovers or berries, and when they think they have to get at least one attack off, BAM, Sucker punch, and Sam lives on. Iron head is good stab and works for possible slow mons. I don't often use swords dance, but it can be very helpful when dealing with defensive walls.

(Best I could find)
Jackington (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
Ah, Jackington, my most favorite Pokemon on the team. Jackington is so great because he (one) synergizes with the Charizard so well, but he also has a great move pool and the ability, prankster. Life orb allows Jackington to swipe a few kills from the enemy, and deal as much damage as possible. Hidden Power ice is a counter to virtually anything that could kill Jackington. And Grass Knot ties up any loose ends for Zard X too take care of his threats. And then when he's on the brink of his life, he thunderwaves to force their hand. Their speed is crippled and their attacks might even get delayed, allowing Jackington to get one last attack on.

99% Water (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 208 HP / 80 Def / 168 SpA / 52 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
Manaphy is a good hyper offensive mon, and a wall to anything that isn't either boosted, or super effective. With a single Tail Glow, Manaphy can destroy almost anything that comes its way, including water types who hope to eat their attacks.

Claymor (Claydol) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Toxic
Now we're at my walls. Claymor is a decent wall who can check Ground types if Jackington falls, plus being a decent check to fire types. Now one severe problem came with this team, and it was stealth rocks. Charizard can get absolutely crippled by it, forcing him to take at least one turn for roost. Originally, I had Excadrill for Rapid spin, but then fire types came into play and demolished my walls, so here we are.

Rusty (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Curse
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Rusty is my favorite wall, allowing a check to any physical moves, and any water moves. Leech seed is smart for swap ins, for extra health, and gyro ball deals great damage for speed.

Team Checks: Fighting Types tend to destroy both Rusty, and Sam, while Bulky Grass types can be a small pain.

I was wondering what else I should do to help further this team's potential, and raise myself further up the ladder

IDK if this is a Hyper Offence team or a balance team...
Just FYI HO should be 2 wallbrakers 2 sweepers 1 pivot and 1 lead(optional deticated leads don't work that well in OU)
The lead should grab and keep momentum so the wallbreakers can punch holes in the enemy team, then the sweepers clean up. The pivot is for slow volt switches, it switches in and takes a hit then takes another hit and volt switches to a poke that can beat the poke that forced your original poke out

Last edited:
One of the main issues of your team is that some mons don't fit the type of playstyle, those being Claydol (which isn't viable in OU) and Ferrothorn. These mons aren't meant for HO teams since they drop the momentum you gain, which isn't a good thing for offensive teams since you want to put as much offensive pressure as you can. Keldeo looks annoying to your team since it can get free switch-ins on some of your mons and you rely on predicitions to switch into it. Fast offensive mons like M-Lopunny and Weavile outspeed and 2HKO everything in your team and you don't have ways to check them without sacking something every time, Ferrothorn isn't a good check to Weavile because it doesn't have Leftovers, this means that it can get worn down easily. You have a big dark weakness on your team, mons like Bisharp pressure your team a lot since you don't have a good switchin to Knock Off and with a little bit of damage Sucker Punch can clean pretty easily.

Yache Berry Landorus-T >
Claydol:
Like I said before, Claydol isn't a viable OU mon because it gets outclassed by other rockers since they have better typing and a lot more bulk. I decided that Defensive Landorus-T was great for your team since it does almost the same things as Claydol. It gets up Stealth Rock, it's a Fighting switch-in, a Fire check and it has Intimidate for physical attackers and U-Turn for momentum. Stone Edge gives you another check to Flying types like Talonflame and M-Pinsir. Since you're still weak to M-Lopunny and M-Medicham with Ice coverage I decided that Yache Berry was a good option here, it lets Lando-T live 1 Ice Punch, that way you can get up rocks or retaliate with Earthquake to put them in range of other mons like Bisharp. 28 SpDef EVs let's you live a LO Draco Meteor from Latios if you're at full HP.

Latias >
Ferrothorn:
With Claydol out of the team, you lack hazard removal which is a must if you want to use Charizard. Ferrothorn was killing a lot of momentum on your team which isn't good. With Latias on your team, you still have a check to water types like Rotom-W and it adds a switch-in to Keldeo and Volcanion, Defog gives you a way to get rid of rocks for Charizard. A standard spread of 72 HP, 184 SpAtk and 252 Speed with Timid Nature let's you take 2 HP Ices from LO Thundurus. The main reason I chose Latias over Latios is because of Healing Wish, with set up mons like Bisharp and M-Charizard X this move works pretty well since it gives them a second chance to sweep if they get weakened.

Scarf Keldeo >
Manaphy:
Manaphy isn't that good in this meta in my opinion, it struggles to beat most teams because almost all of them have reliable checks for it (Latios, Volcanion, Keldeo). Keldeo was great for your team because it solves the problem of Dark types pressuring your team, it's a good check to Weavile and Bisharp. I decided to go with Scarf because your team was lacking speed control outside of T-Wave Thundurus. With set up mons like M-Zard X and Bisharp you already have enough ways to break bulky teams, Keldeo takes advantage of that because it works as a late game cleaner vs offensive and defensive teams.

That's it for my rate, I got rid of the mons that weren't viable / didn't fit in your team, it looks a lot more like a HO team now and it works well together. Some threats that you have to watch out for are Fairy types like M-Diancie, Azumarill and M-Gardevoir because without Ferrothorn you lack a fairy resist. This isn't that big of a problem because between Bisharp and M-Zard X you should be able to weaken these mons to let one of them sweep. I hope you like the changes, enjoy the team!

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power Electric

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 28 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

I agree with Rampecker and the changes he made, though I would recommend Swords Dance > U-turn on Landorus-T.

Other than that, I just want to say that no speed Bisharp is BAD. Never run Bisharp with no speed investment.
Use 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe > 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpD and make sure you have Jolly Nature over Adamant. Jolly max speed Bisharp is really important as it allows you to outspeed many stuff no speed Bisharp and even Adamant Bisharp can't, including Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Heatran, and Gliscor. Also, on a Hyper offensive team like yours, I recommend Lum Berry > Black Glasses because you can use Rotom-W as setup bait to win the game, it also provides some status absorbing on your HO.

Set:

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

I agree with Rampecker and the changes he made, though I would recommend Swords Dance > U-turn on Landorus-T.

Other than that, I just want to say that no speed Bisharp is BAD. Never run Bisharp with no speed investment.
Use 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe > 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpD and make sure you have Jolly Nature over Adamant. Jolly max speed Bisharp is really important as it allows you to outspeed many stuff no speed Bisharp and even Adamant Bisharp can't, including Rotom-W, Landorus-T, Heatran, and Gliscor. Also, on a Hyper offensive team like yours, I recommend Lum Berry > Black Glasses because you can use Rotom-W as setup bait to win the game, it also provides some status absorbing on your HO.

Set:

Bisharp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
Good advice, the Lum setup is solid but any HO team needs momentum grabbing pokes and switch ins to checks so u-turn on Landot is almost neccecary, it's attack is kinda broken as is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)