SM OU Hyper Offense in a Stupid Tier

(title based off of a (Not) Blame Truth video)

My first team for this new meta! I've enjoyed playing Sun and Moon OU (Postbank, of course) so far, and I'd love some help on this team specifically. As the title implies, it's a hyper offense team in Sun and Moon OU. Without further explanation, here we go.

skarmory.gif

Preened (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

The lead of the team, Skarmory sets up Rocks (and hopefully a layer of Spikes or two!) for my wallbreakers to utilize on. Brave Bird prevents Spin and Defog, and Taunt prevents slower mons from getting hazards up against Skarmory. I went with specially defensive Skarmory to wall special attackers, such as Tapu Lele, better. Unfortunately outclassed by Celesteela as a specially defensive wall, but hazards are always nice on a Pokemon such as this. Really nice Stealth Rock and Spikes lead at the moment.

hoopa-unbound.gif

Hula Hula (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Psychic
- Drain Punch
- Thunderbolt

Ah, Hoopa-U, you'll always be the best wallbreaker. My stall and first wallbreaker, Hoopa-U is pretty much the bane of stall and balance alike. Everything my second wallbreaker struggles with, Hoopa-U breaks. A counterless monster that opens massive holes for all of my teammates. Struggles with Ferrothorn, because Drain Punch barely 2HKOes, even with Rocks up. But just as long as I have other teammates to help with Ferrothorn, it doesn't really matter that much. Overall just the best wallbreaker in the game right now, name one reliable counter that beats all Hoopa-U sets. Mandibuzz? Loses to this set and Specs set. Ferrothorn? Loses to all sets. Skarmory/Celesteela? Loses to this set and Specs set. No reliable switch-ins to every set, so powerful of a mon.

kyurem-black.gif

Dragon Nation (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Black Kyurem is here as a partner in crime for Hoopa-U; whatever walls Hoopa-U, Black Kyurem beats. HP Fire is on this set for the sole purpose of beating Ferrothorn, which walls this set otherwise. Hoopa-U and Black Kyurem make for a wallbreaking core that's impossible to wall. Another stallbreaker as well, which is great because offense hates stall. Considering changing EVs, because Showdown never seems to keep the IVs for some reason. Better EV spread would be 24 Atk / 244 SpA / 240 Spe in that case. Still a great mon that's never to be underestimated. If you haven't used this mon yet, it won't disappoint you as a wallbreaker.

tapulele.gif

Pot Waifu (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

This thing is my check to other offense teams. Offense has nothing to switch into this monster, and Tapu Lele is more than happy to rip open offense whenever it can. Scarf allows it to outspeed everything commonly seen on offense except for select Scarfers. Overall great mon, priority immunity, and Psychic Terrain boosted Psychics hurt a LOT. HP Fire's Speed drop hurts Scarf Lele a lot, but it still hits really hard and checks so many offense threats like Pheromosa. Psychic Terrain preventing priority is useful against mons like Dragonite who run priority and prevents against Prankster, which is nice to have, but is also a curse, as you'll see later in the team. Still nice to have around, though.

pheromosa.gif

Broken Helen (Pheromosa) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

Oh, Pheromosa, we all knew you would be an offense staple. Scarf Pheromosa outspeeds literally everything offense has to offer (with a few exceptions). Tapu Lele was just a backup compared to this thing. Hits really hard, is stupidly fast, and U-turns out of all of its counters into a check to that counter (counter-ception). I honestly hope this thing gets banned soon. Always nice to know that I have a reliable win-con once things like A-Maro and Toxapex are gone. Considering Naive to outspeed Jolly Excadrill in sand. Pheromosa is the glue that holds hyper offense together this gen, and is almost impossible to check when Psychic Terrain is up (completely impossible if this set was Naive).

thundurus.gif

Zeus (Thundurus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

This is honestly the mon I really think I should replace. Prankster Thunder Wave doesn't work under Psychic Terrain (and can't paralyze Greninja on switch-in) and doesn't have Thunderbolt. Literally just here for priority Thunder Wave and Volt Switch to complete a VoltTurn core with Pheromosa. Still a very fast and powerful mon, though, and it can still do well despite these problems. If Tapu Lele or Pheromosa go down, it's nice to know that I have something to check set-up sweepers (unless they're Dark-type, because Prankster nerf sucks).

Threatlist: Excadrill: Can outspeed Exca in sand with Pheromosa if Exca is Adamant, but my whole team loses if Exca is Jolly in sand.

So that's the team! Any help would be highly appreciated, since I am not a very good teambuilder. Thanks again, RMT!

Last edited:
"HP Fire's Speed drop hurts Scarf Lele a lot" you can choose a perfect 31/0/31/31/31/31 hp fire spread from teambuilder now, courtesy of hyper training.

First hyper-offensive team I've seen with a defensive mon on it which doesn't really fit. Skarm doesn't hold up well on a team like this since it kills your momentum, it has next to no offensive capabilities and without Whirlwind it's just set-up bait for an opposing offensive mon to plough through you. You have a lot of options for leads but if you want to go hazard stacking then I'd recommend Ferro above all since it can take a hit and Gyro Ball can threaten some damage back or switch in and deal some Iron Barbs damage to help you chip some things down. It also makes a great answer to Tapu Koko who you see everywhere provided it's not packing HP Fire because as it stands, while revenging is possible, Tapu Koko can do some major damage to your team. I'd also recommend putting T-Wave on Ferro to deal with opposing offensive mons so as not to kill your momentum and actually support you against opposing threats.
That said, I also don't think Thundy's best for your team, particularly after you make this change given that you have no hazard removal he's going to be worn down fast. With Ferro running T-Wave now, you can fun your own Tapu Koko instead. Since your two fast mons have restrictions due to their Scarves, adding something speedy to help vs opposing offence which doesn't have to deal with move-locking seems like a good idea.
Lastly, Kyu-B also has a Rocks problem. Since a good lot of defensive teams are running hazard stack with all the great carpet setting options now Kyu-B might not be sticking around for long and that puts a lot of pressure on Hoopa later on without a partner. A potential option instead is TG Manaphy. Manaphy can deal with a good lot of defensive walls to a similar extent of Kyu-B depending on your set, but you're much more likely to see it around for a while since you won't need to worry as much about hazard damage to the extent that you did with Kyu-B.
Just initial thoughts after having a quick glance over your team and I think they can help out.
I'm not 100% certain of what the current sets are as things stand so they I've not got any fancy EVs on them. If you or anyone else is aware of new current spreads for these then just go with that.
Hope this helps.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Tapu Koko @ Magnet / Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Manaphy @ Leftovers / Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Surf
- Energy Ball / Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Tail Glow

Last edited:
If you're going Hyper Offense,maybe Azelf would be better as a Suicide Lead. He can taunt faster than Skarmory,a Focus Sash almost aways guarantees Stealth Rock,and you can use the last two spots to make use of Azelf's amazing attack,making him much more fit for a Hyper Offense team.

Also,Pheromosa is fast enough as it is.If you can predict what Pokemon are likely to have a Choice Specs,maybe you could run a Life Orb(and modify the stats so that Beast Boost increase her Speed) or a Z-Stone (and modify her stats to have Beast Boost increase her ATK),to make Sweeping with Pheromosa easier while mantaining her freedom in attacks.

If you do this though,it would be better to save Pheromosa to crush weakened teams,I think.

First of all, the whole point of lead Skarm was to set up Rocks and a layer of Spikes or two. If I went with Azelf, I'd be losing the crucial chip that the one or two layers of Spikes happily provides me. As for Pheromosa, I'd rather stick with Scarf, as Scarf Pheromosa allows me to check other Scarfers as well as rain, which I autolose to otherwise. I've decided to replace Skarm with Ferrothorn, as it has Rocks and Spikes and gives me another rain check.

pizzq

Banned deucer.
hello nice team you got there,

-->
i personally do not enjoy using lead skarmory however if you choose to use it I would suggest running max speed max attack with custap, bulk is not mandatory
Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes/Defog
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Fire Blast/Skill Swap

although life orb seems appealing on a wallbreaking hoopau specs is usually the preferred set seeing as trick exists. Overall you hit walls much harder and its easier to survive. another niche option for you is running Z-Trick or Z-Snatch to gain a +2 speed boost and have a presence vs other offensive teams.
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

your set seems reliable enough however a set thats on the rise for breaking stall is SubZeroSlammer with Freeze Shocks, it seems worth a try
very nice addition to the team, nothing to fix there
seeing that you already have a scarfer. Scarf pheromosa does not really seem necessary. To take advantage of Psychic Terrain i would highly suggest QD, the set thats responsible for PHero now being S rank
Pheromosa @ Focus Sash/Fightinium Z
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam

-->
sadly thundy has really fallen out of favor this gen. there is like 0 synergy on this team with the reasons you stated. With this in mind, Tapu Koko is better in almost every way to thundurus besides Twave. koko is stronger, faster, and also pivots with uturn and volt switch. Considering this is a hyper offense you have no real checks for the major threats so its best to go all out with offensive pressure.
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

i hope you enjoy these changes here is the completed team with all of them
Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Fire Blast

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

:)

Reactions: 3d
I have used the modified version of this team quite a bit in the past couple of days and in my experience, it heavily struggles with Mega Metagross in general, as well as with breaking Magearna. I think Garchomp would help quite a bit in both cases, though I am not entirely sure whether it would be better to use Scarfchomp (with Poison Jab for Tapu Fini) to replace Tapu Koko, or a Focus Sash lead set instead of Azelf. I'll experiment with both variants and let you know how it went.

Edit:
Lead Garchomp seems like a significant improvement over Azelf, at least in the matches I have played so far. Between 3 Focus Blasts and an HP Fire, Ferrothorn isn't really an issue. The biggest difference is that your opponent can get up his own rocks more easily now, so you won't always be able to use Pheromosas Focus Sash. On the other hand, Azelf is super telegraphed on a team like this, so most people won't be sending in their rocker right away anyways.

In my opinion, try this change:
->

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Poison Jab
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)