I love stall.

Hello smogon. I've recently made a stall team. I had always loved stall. It is great. you slowly take down the opponent with everything from little seeds to raging sandstroms. So this is one of my favourite teams that does well against people but is shocking against some common threats.

So i started with these three.

At first I wanted to be creative. I have had so much success with my haxsteel (registeel with thunder wave and iron head) I wanted to try HaxRock. Cresslia would be my status absorber/passer. The jellithorn combo for hazards and bulk. Skarm gave me more hazards and phasing. Then salamence was to clean up.
I then noticed how bad regi and cress were. So I wanted physical bulky with paraphasing and some hax. That meant bye cress and regi went and hello with

Steelix could curse then hit hard body slams and dragon tails. this team was going well but hazards attack me more than mine attack them so I wanted wish support and maybe cleric. I first looked at bliss but I don’t like to go the usual and I wanted one of my favourite stallers. So togekiss and IhatePringle went out and the new team looked like

Steelix as you probably would geuss just wouldn’t do its job. It just wasn’t OU material so he was out. I had a brain wave and I released that all stall teams need toxic. So I needed a bulky toxic spiker that would probably lead. Ferrathorn just didn’t give the hazards I want and I liked fooretress better because of sturdy. So the changes were made and the team looked like

Salamence then just couldn't get enough dragon dances to sweep and he was bulky enough. I looked at dragonite but if I wanted a cleanup sweeper I wanted U-turn or Volt switch. I then though of all the possibilities. Rotom, scarf scizor looked okay and some others but i thought that I had so many hazard layers I should abuse that. Then came my favourite set. With a great Bulky pokemon.

She Helped me get to 164 rounds until I disconnected. The team then becameSo the team was complete but because of the nature of stall many threats came up that would just go through my team.

Okay so after a mate made a team that fully counters mine he suggest I need a taunter to stop other taunters. The choice was between sableye and whismicott. I didn't feel like sableye would that much because well I don't know but I chose a subseed set with whismicott. poppycock noticed to many specially defencive pokemon so he suggested a bulky gyarados. I helped heaps. It can absorbs status with rest and phaze with dragon tail. So at the moment the team is

Although whismicott could priority taunt I could never predict when their taunter would come in so she would just sub seed till she dies or gets a switch. I had also had enough with taunters so I wanted a bulky fast pokemon that can deal a lot of damage with recovery. Mew fit all those criterias.

My team was still lacking physical bulk and a speed sweeper. V0x then suggested a gengar set that caught me fancy and aeromence suggested a restalk Milotic. They both seemed to work very well. so they were in.

In depth look.
Changes in BOLD

@black sludge
252hp. 240def. 16spe.
Rain dish. Bold.
Toxic spikes.
Rapid spin.
Scald.
Protect.
Tentacruel is my lead. He sets up toxic spikes against any weather starter. He would then fight till he dies or swap out if I see a few hazard laying Pokémon. Protect and rain dish take advantage of politoed and rain. He has more stalling capabilities and better recovery. Scald burns the tyranitar or hurts the ninetails while I Tspike up. I’ve gone for Black sludge because of trickers and because it is quite easy to tell when they will trick back. EVs keep his
spD amazingly high with huge def to boost.
@ Shed shell

248hp. 252def 8spD
Sturdy. Impish.
Spikes
Whirlwind
Drill peck
Roost
Ahh Skarmory, he sets up my spikes and He will tank any physical attack I want no matter how super effective. Stealth rocks is off again and drill peck is back on. Now he isnt taunt bait and can help with my toxicroak weakness. Whirlwind phases if they think they can set up on me and because it is what this team is based on. Impish for more defence and EVs just support his health and physical bulk.

@leftovers

252hp. d4def. 24spA. 156spD. 12spe
Marvel scale. Bold
Rest.
sleep talk
Dragon tail.
Surf.

Aeromence suggested this set to help with my physical bulk and be able to phaze even more. Surf is a powerful stab. I chose it over scald because most of the pokemon will be poison and the ones I want to hit (steels/flying/poison) I want to deal as much damage as possible. EVs boost bulk and make surf stronger. The few speed EVs are just for that extra speed.

@ Kings rock
240hp. 160def. 116spD. 64spe.
Serene grace. Impish.
Wish.
Iron head.
Body slam.
Stealth rocks.
A standard haxraci with stealth rocks. I can bluff the protect when I use wish if I haven't revealed rocks and can get some free hax. Body slam has been changed over thunder wave because the extra damage is nice and I still have a high chance of paralyzing. Iron head for flinch and wish for healing. I havent passed wish to many times as everyone but tentacreul can recover.

@leftovers

252spA. 4spD. 252spe
levitate. Modest.
Substitute.
Focus blast.
Shadow ball.
Pyschic.

He subs then takes what ever he can out. He comes out last or close to it to eliminate any leftover threats that have taken a lot of damage. Focus blast destroys steels mainly ferrathorn. Shadow ball for coverage and it takes out reuniculus. Pyschics take out that annoying toxicroak that still gets me. EVs for the most damage possible and a faster sub. Modest to further boost his special attack.

@leftovers.
200hp. 100def. 140spD. 68spe
Levitate. Bold.
Rest.
Sleep talk.
Psycho shift.
Roar.

She is the star of the show. She will just swap the shit out of you. All I do is take some damage and roar on the first turn then I rest and let the magic begin. She is very fast and only just recently was stopped by a crobat that had taunt. That is her only problem but she usually out speeds today’s OU taunters. This is the one that made me gat to 164 turns I love this set and she would come out last or near it because I should have weakened everything with poison and hazards. Evs boost here amazing bulk further as well as her speed. Sleep talk stops the negative priority from roar which is why I’ve invested in speed.

So this team has many problems like being taunted. I want an fast attacking force but their is nowhere to put it. I could replace forretress but then Im missing out on 1 form of hazards and possible losing mine. Froslass could go their as a spin blocker and be their to lay spikes so skarm can have rocks but froslass is so frail. Anyway I want you guys to help me out with this team and tell me what could be changed.
Threats: will edit as I go along.

Minor threats
All rotoms dont hurt me except if latais gets a scarf. I just use Vaporeon for the oven. Jirachi for the wash. Tentacruel can also handle both for SE.

Ba
ton pass in genaral I just laugh at.

If a lead Tentacreul will scald him to death wth some help of burn. Forretress can wall him except if they carry a fire move. But if they dont forretress unloads all hazards and they run from rocky helmet.

Toxic stalled. Jirachi walls it pretty well.
Will get toxic st
alled. Tentacreul can handle the earth powers and stall threw protect. Latias can also swap it several times.
Ferrathorn: I will let him set hazards as I set mine. Jirachi will get a para in and gengar will focus blast it.

Cause problems
He will die from hazards or Jirachi will aim to paralyze him and then tentacruel, milotic or gengar will scald, surf and focus blast respectivly. He is still very annoying though.

Toxic spikes will eventually stall him out but he can cause some harm with scald and slack off.

I am forced to drill peck it and and just keep getting residual damage as natural cure is a pain.

Jellicent: If he can hex me when im asleep with latias I'm in trouble. Vaporeon can handle a water spout locked jelli but his special bulk is huge.
They spin my hazards and take out my my walls easily. I try to roar or get in a gig drain from tentacruel.

Need to be dealt with.
If I manage to get a roar in its okay but he just absorbs my spikes does a growth or maybe sleeps my pokemon and I have to get out Jirachi to hope I gat a thunder wave in then iron head it to death

Its not him that gets me its rain. I can kill him with gigadrain and poison but his buddies just hurt me ecspecially:

I can drill peck his subs but after a certain amount of bulk ups he just kills everything. I have to get a roar in. He annoys me and my by abosrbing my toxic spikes and taking water attacks like scalds easily. I have to get in a pyschic before a sub and predict the switch in.

just wondering, were you using a bulky ddMence? you said that you couldn't get enough dds to sweep. Salamence only needs one if you're playing it right though. This could go over latias, and it deals with a few from your threatlist, namely venusaur and Toxicroak, while it does a number to tyranitar and can smash rotom variants

name: MixMence
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Brick Break / Earthquake
move 4: Roost / Outrage
nature: Rash / Naive
item: Life Orb
evs: 116 Atk / 216 SpA / 176 Spe

Seeing you have a problem with Taunt, wouldn't a Taunter of your own be useful?
Especially one with Prankster, such as Whimiscott:
Whimsicott (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Encore / Stun Spore

Or Sableye:
Sableye (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Substitute

Truly depends on personal preference here.
Sableye has instant priority recovery and can cripple physical attackers, while Whimiscott can SubSeed and is a faster Taunter, should the opponent also have a priority Taunter. In the case of the latter, use 4 Speed EV's instead of 4 Sp Def EV's.
Good Luck.

@ aeromence. I tried to make it bulky while having speed and power which was pretty hard. Ill defenently try him again though. Maybe over jirachi.

@ningildo. well im testing Whismicott like I said before and at the moment it is doing well and getting me a lot of rages.

Keep the rates coming.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi,

first off, if you're going to use skarmory + tentacruel then you don't need a forretress, as it's really quite redundant.

with three of your members benefiting from rain, i'd really recommend you run a drizzletoad, and fit stealth rock on skarmory.

you're also pretty weak to volcarona / sun sweepers, and you'll be hard pressed to break ferrothorn.

to fix this i would suggest swapping vaporeon for a mixed defensive gyarados to check volcarona and maintain a durable physical wall.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Careful
248 Hp 76 Def 180 SpD
Waterfall
Dragon Tail
Rest
Sleep Talk

you can run roar over dragon tail if you are having trouble with substitute users

to alleviate your weakness to ferrothorn simply spiking all over you I would recommend a Cm + HP fire latias

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid
252 Hp 4 SpA 252 Spe
Calm Mind
Recover
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power Fire

For Skarmory I would recommend Shed Shell over Red Card, as this allows you to switch out of magnezone anyway, and lets you wall the physical half of drag mag safely. I would also change the spread to 248 Hp 252 Def 8 SpD impish; you don't need speed or taunt on that set because you run shed shell. So your final set should have those EVs, Impish, Shed Shell and Stealth Rock, Spikes, Roost, and Whirlwind.

For Tentacruel change your spread to 252 Hp 240 Def 16 Spe, Bold, and put in Protect over Giga Drain. Those Evs allow you to outspeed max speed neutral natured base 70s, and allow for more bulk overall. Protect allows you to scout, rack up toxic damage and heal additional 12.5% from rain dish, which should be changed to be your ability.

Jirachi should have a spread of 240 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpD / 32 Spe, impish, allowing it to outspeed jolly tyranitar, if that isn't a concern drop the rest into SpD. The reason for this defense is to cushion against Terrakion, with whom your team has trouble with, I can't be bothered to go run calcs but you can adjust these EVs to survive a + 2 CC from LO Terrakion and OHKO it with iron head after the defence drop. Finally, use a moveset of
Iron Head
Body Slam / Thunder Wave
Wish
Protect

hi,

first off, if you're going to use skarmory + tentacruel then you don't need a forretress, as it's really quite redundant.
with three of your members benefiting from rain, i'd really recommend you run a drizzletoad, and fit stealth rock on skarmory.
you're also pretty weak to volcarona / sun sweepers, and you'll be hard pressed to break ferrothorn.
to fix this i would suggest swapping vaporeon for a mixed defensive gyarados to check volcarona and maintain a durable physical wall.
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Careful
248 Hp 76 Def 180 SpD
Waterfall
Dragon Tail
Rest
Sleep Talk
you can run roar over dragon tail if you are having trouble with substitute users

to alleviate your weakness to ferrothorn simply spiking all over you I would recommend a Cm + HP fire latias
Latias @ Leftovers
Timid
252 Hp 4 SpA 252 Spe
Calm Mind
Recover
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power Fire

For Skarmory I would recommend Shed Shell over Red Card, as this allows you to switch out of magnezone anyway, and lets you wall the physical half of drag mag safely. I would also change the spread to 248 Hp 252 Def 8 SpD impish; you don't need speed or taunt on that set because you run shed shell. So your final set should have those EVs, Impish, Shed Shell and Stealth Rock, Spikes, Roost, and Whirlwind.
For Tentacruel change your spread to 252 Hp 240 Def 16 Spe, Bold, and put in Protect over Giga Drain. Those Evs allow you to outspeed max speed neutral natured base 70s, and allow for more bulk overall. Protect allows you to scout, rack up toxic damage and heal additional 12.5% from rain dish, which should be changed to be your ability.
Jirachi should have a spread of 240 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpD / 32 Spe, impish, allowing it to outspeed jolly tyranitar, if that isn't a concern drop the rest into SpD. The reason for this defense is to cushion against Terrakion, with whom your team has trouble with, I can't be bothered to go run calcs but you can adjust these EVs to survive a + 2 CC from LO Terrakion and OHKO it with iron head after the defence drop. Finally, use a moveset of
Iron Head
Body Slam / Thunder Wave
Wish
Protect
That gyarados is amazing thank. Although I'm missing the heal bell support it is amazing. I've changed the EVs to what you said and changed Jirachi's set. Tentacreul and skarmory have had their change in moves and it seems to be working. I haven't changed latias nor tested it as she is my greatest phazer. I will eventually test it though.

So vaporeon and forretress are out for gyarados and whismicott in respectively and they are both living up to expectations. Spinners are still getting me. Everytime I see a spinner I'm thinking of using froslass even more. What is everyones thoughts?

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well, ideally i'd like you to update the OP to really see what i'm looking at.

but as far as i can see it's currently (if you're using whimsicott i'd really recommend you'd use politoed instead, rain dish on tentacruel, fire weaks removed on skarm / jirachi)

politoed / skarmory / gyarados / tentacruel / jirachi / latias

a spinblocker in the current meta is quite difficult to maintain, mainly because of excadrill which can 2hko all of the current spinblockers without much difficulty.

on second thoughts latias is a bit ill fitting, as although it provides some neat resistances and another nice ground immunity hp fire in rain isn't doing squat to ferrothorn; i also see you have a massive thunderus weakness, especially with a more physically defensive spread on jirachi, with that, I recommend a choice scarf terrakion, which gives you a reliable check to a lot of sweepers and allows a secondary check to volcarona.

you really have to be wary of ferrothorn with this team, as without taunt it can spike freely on skarmory and pretty much all of your team except terrakion; this, combined with tentacruel being unable to break through jellicent, the most common spinblocker, your team will be hardpressed to break through opposing stall that have a spinblocker.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Bold
252 Hp 252 Def 4 SpD
Scald
Hypnosis
Haze
Protect

Maximum physical defense allows politoed to sponge a lot, hypnosis is to try and catch out ferrothorn, which as mentioned earlier is a big threat to this team, haze will stop baton pass teams in their tracks, which your team also has trouble with. Protect is for general scouting and is a useful move.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Stone Edge
Close Combat
X-Scissor
Rock Slide (use when you need a flinch or something...)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice team you have here.

I notice a dual-turning Rotom-W Volt Switch and Scizor U-turn combo will cause you tons of problems, as each scout moves hits 5/6 of your pokemon super effectively. I recommend scrapping Mew for Sub+3 Attacks Gengar. Not only will this force some switches, it will also allow you to handle those two after getting a sub up. Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and a coverage move against troublesome Pokemon (or Disable/Pain Split) with Sub is the optimal moveset. What's great about this is that it effectively cushions you in case there are too many hazards on your side of the field; with Levitate it is only damaged by Stealth Rock, so it can come in if you aren't able to spin and perhaps KO the opponent's Ghost or force them to switch more.

Having Gengar will also help you against Victini, which can pretty much KO everything with V-create/Fusion Bolt and U-turn out of your Psychics to gain momentum.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- coverage move

Good luck!!

I suggest taking off SR on Skarm and putting them on Jirachi over Protect.

And when taking SR off Skarm, put either Taunt or Brave Bird on it, depends if you want to be taunt bait or not. Just from personal experience with running Skarm and Jirachi on the same team. Hope this helps

Good luck.

@V0x Thanks that set will help heaps. I can still stop the threats that mew had while damaging more. I'm going to try that set right away.

@tiffanyy Ive made those changes now.

@fishkiller nomore I had whismicott but a sweeper that could set up would be at least +1 before they swap the taunter in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)