Im back gen 5... and i dont think i learned anything

Hey guys, so i have been battling for about a year now. To be honest I'm pretty terrible. I am horrible at making teams, and i make really stupid mistakes. I have been trying to get into the tutor program but it’s always locked when I try. So until then I’m stuck playing terribly, my rank on PO right now is 850 or so.

Gen 5 present a chance for me to start over. Everyone was starting with very little knowledge of what all these new poke were capable of. I thought I would try and capitalize on that and jump into the middle of the action. After a lot of play time and lots of matches on PO this is about as best as I can do with my knowledge of poke.

So for better or worse here is my team.

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

Ttar I use for the sandstorm setup for Dory. The basic Idea for him in this team is that he leads the team and immediately sets up the sandstorm that gives Dory the spe boost. I know running a Scarf set as a lead without it being a trick set seems strange and it may not be a good idea, but the thought was that any trick lead would be stuck with scarf, fake out will get the fake out but I will still get stealth up. After SR is up switch into whatever attack is being thrown at Ttar and use him later as revenge killer. Most of the time a fighting type move is thrown at him which is why I have

Desukan (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Rest

Desukan covers a fighting weakness that my team has. Switch him in on a poke trying to KO Ttar, Nat, or Dory and set up with a calm mind or two. The ev spread gives him about 400 defense, good enough to block most non boosted physical moves. And with mummy active, any phys sweepers who need ability ( like Dory) are all but shut down. HP Fighting gives good type coverage with Shadow ball and rest lest you heal off damage. Shadow ball for stab. This set is walled by special walls however so for walls I have a few options to counter/ out stall them.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 130 Hp / 128 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Sword Dance
- Baton Pass
- Earthquake
- Acrobat

I am currently testing this guy in place of my original shuckle. his main job is to cover a weakness to fighting and to be able to deal with Roobushin bulk up sets. Gliscor has nice natural bulk and the evs/ nature help to increase that bulk. taunt allows me to stop any one from setting up as many poke do in this metagame. will have more analysis after i have tested with team some more.

Zangetsu (Ononokusu) (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

This guy is one of my sweepers. He has an incredible attack and after a DD or two he is Very hard to stop. Now like most dragons he is stopped by bulky Steel types( like Skarmory) but for everything other than skarmory he can cover. EQ balances out the coverage. I run Lum berry to stop him from being stopped by any statusers and if he isn’t statues it will heal the confusion from outrage.C hange to Rock slide to cover flyers. also i provides better coverage with EQ than Brick break.

I have tried salac berry before and I found that it works too but after 2 DD you don’t really need it. that’s why I decided on lum berry. Anyone who tries to switch in and will o wisp allows me to get 2 DDs an then proceed to sweep.

jizzinmypant (Nattorei) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs:252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+Sp. Def, -Spe)
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Curse
Iv- 0 spe

A lot of the more common uses of Natt are to set up spikes. I really liked Natt from the first time I saw him before I ever even logged into a server. This set I came up with at that time. The idea here is that natt comes in on something that it can wall. Leech seed and then curse a time or too to boost the power of gyro ball. The ivs max the power of gyro. With leech seed and leftovers Natt can heal for a great amount. sassy nature to improve Sp def and further to increase the power of gryo ball. power whip to stop this set from getting walled by water types.

Doryuuzu (F) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This is the point of running TTar as a lead, the point of getting up sandstorm. Sand throw doubles Dorys speed and lets him only have to worry about his attack power, hence the SD set. Jolly nature to avoid speed ties with adamant nature dorys. I have rapid spin but to be honest after I have thought about it I don’t really need it that much so that might change. i changed to balloon to cover Dorys weakness to EQ that a lot of people like to exploit. Eq gives STAB and with a SD boost it can run through anything that doesn’t resist it. Rock slide for what does.

Well that’s the team… I don’t really do well with team making so I don’t have the ability to recognize synergy or not, which is probably where a lot of my issues come from. The team works well every once and a while. I just have to make sure I don’t screw up when it does. I feel like it has potential though. If anyone has any suggestions on how to release that potential please let me know.

Thanks Ditto, Masterx, and Mr. Senior

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My Changes in Bold

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
If you are going to use Choice Scarf you should use a Jolly nature. An Adamant nature will only allow Tyranitar to speed tie positive-natured base 101 Pokemon, whereas Jolly will allow Tyranitar to speed tie with positive-natured base 116 Pokemon. Also, Stone Edge and Ice Punch seem to give some pretty redundant coverage, whereas Fire Punch will allow you to still hit Grass-types, but also allow you to hit Steel-types.

let’s share (Shuckle) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Toxic
- Encore / Power Share / Acupressure
The original EV spread was a completely insufficient spread. a 252 HP only Shuckle has better bulk than a 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD Shuckle. This gives Shuckle more bulk, while still focusing on the physical side, as Sandstorm will boost Shuckle's SpD. Knock Off can help Shuckle somewhat cripple opponents, as well as protect him from Taunt. I find both Power Share and Acupressure to be a bit gimmicky, but if you really want to use one then go ahead.

jizzinmypant (Nattorei) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip / Protect
- Curse
Iv- 0 spe
First off, if you are going to have 0 Spe and curse, you might as well have a -Spe nature too. Since you will be boosting your Def through Curse, I think a Sassy nature is better. Again, that is a horrible EV spread for Nattorei. Through some calculations (using Arceus and 100 BP STAB, as well as using the new sassy Nature) I found that for Nattorei 252 HP / 4 Atk / 20 SpD offers about the same bulky as 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD, yet leaves you with an extra 232 EVs. I invest those EVs into SpD since you will be boosting your Def and Atk anyways, although feel free to invest some into either Def or Atk. I feel like Sub will not be too helpful on Nattorei, so you can run Protect for a similar experience or Power Whip in order to have a more reliable STAB move (damage-wise) while also helping you deal with Water-types more easily.

Doryuuzu (F) @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Throw
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
While I understand the want to increase Rock Slide's accuracy, that is all you are doing. Balloon removes one of Doryuuzu's easiest exploited weaknesses, as well as allowing it to switch it more often. It also helps against opposing Doryuuzu.

Team in General
It looks like you will have a hard time dealing with the ever present Bulk Up Roobushin. 3 members of your team are weak to fighting-type attacks. Your only ghost can't really do anything that harmful to Roobushin, while Roobushin can easily Payback it for a huge amount of damage. Ononokusu's only chance at defeating it is to set up several DDs before your opponent thinks of switching in Roobushin, which will be highly unlikely. Shuckle can attempt to stall it, but using Toxic will only boost it through Guts. In order to help with this, I suggest the following:

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
- Swords Dance / Taunt
- Fling
- Earthquake
- Acrobat

Which I feel can be used over Ononokusu or Shuckle pretty well.

fling isn't worth it just to boost gliscors acrobat you should change it to a support move since gliscor isn't meant to be an attacker but more of a supporter. I suggest you change fling and taunt to swords dance and baton pass to support the team that would like the boost a lot. Ononokusu, doryuzzu, and even curse nattorei would greatly benefit from the +2 att.I suggest this:

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 126 HP / 128 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- baton pass
- Earthquake
- Acrobat

these evs give you the ability to take attacks well from the defensive side and still dish out lots of damage from the physical side after a swords dance.

for ononokusu, the only option u have to hit fliers is outrage, which u want to use when you're pretty much ready to go down or eat your lum berry. brick break and earthquake are retardedly redundant coverage and rockslide over brick break will probably be far superior and help you out a lot. fight and ground are pretty known to cover the same things. rock covers the resistances rather well and is a better option over both of them

gonna use my one bump here. While I'm at it i will talk about a few things

first I'm am thinking about switching hippo for T tar and running a scarfchomp in place of desukan. the reason being that garchomp and ono make great running partners. then have roobushin in place of gliscor..

i don't really have any research on the move sets for these just wondering what the consensus would be in the team... if i get some positive feed back i will post sets in alternative members section

fling isn't worth it just to boost gliscors acrobat you should change it to a support move since gliscor isn't meant to be an attacker but more of a supporter. I suggest you change fling and taunt to swords dance and baton pass to support the team that would like the boost a lot. Ononokusu, doryuzzu, and even curse nattorei would greatly benefit from the +2 att.
Pfft, yeah, a 110 BP STAB attack, who would want that?

No offense but people that obviously haven't even used the Acrofling set shouldn't get to comment on it. It is Gliscor's new set of choice and if you question the validity you've never seen it put in practice. Combination of EQ and Acrobat give you dual 100+ BP STABs that hit many of the top 10 pokemon extremely hard like Doryuzuu, Tyranitar, Hetran, Breloom, Blaziken, Roopushin, need I go on?

The point is if you want to use a BP set fine, but to say Gliscor is an ineffective attacker is a statement wrought with inexperience. Beside, WITHOUT Fling you need to use Aerial Ace since it's actually stronger and never misses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)