Announcement Insert BW End Credits Theme

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hello all, I am stepping down from all my positions aside from ORAS ZU council (just until we finish the VR update). Thank you to all the staff, council, regulars, and any other person that gave ZU a chance and stuck around or even just played a few games. I appreciate it. It's been a long journey since I was first invited to the FU Discord to play some games and chat. Looking back, things were stagnant and we didn't have to do much. Come SM, activity picked up and we didn't look back. Big thanks to the community and council for dedicating time back then. Admittedly, I had next to no experience and had to learn as we went. It really helped to have a great team around and I'm grateful for it. We continued to grow throughout SM and while gen 8 was kind of rough for a while at the start, the meta improved and the community's activity picked up. The point is that the community and meta are what's most important, and figuring how to lead was a big learning curve for me.

Like I told ZU staff, I've been thinking of stepping down for a long time now (~6+ months) and I didn't feel that there was a right time until now. Things would pop up that I'd have to do and there were responsibilities I didn't want to leave undone. The biggest difference I see in myself compared to when a few years ago is passion. I believe it's a disservice to ZU (staff, council, players in general) not to have a leader that is driven and committed and enjoys the position. I'm someone that prefers not to have attention and I'm not very talkative, and in the past year my activity and enjoyment in general dropped. In that sense, I do not think that it's beneficial for me to stick around. I continued to lead and tried to fulfill my roles out of a sense of responsibility and necessity (as in, if I don't do x y or z I'd be neglecting things or burdening others). That isn't really sustainable or healthy because I'm not as in touch with the community and staff on a day-to-day as I should be and am lazy when it comes to updates. Anyway, that's just me explaining my thought process around why I don't think I'm a suitable leader anymore.

I came into this position years ago with practically no experience as room staff, much less leading a community and all that comes with it. I've learned a lot and also messed up many times. Because of my irl circumstances, certain responsibilities that come with leading a community, and mistakes I made, like I said before I no longer have the passion/desire to lead. I don't know how much I'll stick around after finishing up the ORAS ZU VR (and sorting out old gens leaders/circuit finals are over). If the meta is fun, you might see me around in some tours or on the ladder.

Once again I want to thank everyone that has and continues to be a part of ZU. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the collective effort, thank you.

thanks for all your time making zu what it is today. you've been hard carrying the tier for as long as you've been around and never once did i sense that you were doing anything other than a pure love for the tier and the people who played it.

i know we had a few disagreements here and there but i genuinely looked up to you as a figure in the community, a competent player and builder, and most importantly a friend. i'm regretful that we have drifted apart in the past year or so but i value you greatly and you were a big part in helping me find who i am on this website, through countless chances, many that i didn't deserve, and support and council at every turn.

you are dependable and a pleasure to be around, and i hope you'll stick around the community for the years to come. we'll wait for mega arcanine together... pls gf...

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Thanks for all the dedication and work you’ve put into ZU! Your resources to ORAS and SS inspired me to pick up gen 6 and come up with new ideas. Thanks for the inspiration you’ve given to me and others!

Good luck in future endeavors!
190A69F6-3A3B-485C-89BB-C20C1D54EDFD.jpeg

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I haven't been part of this community for long, but we had a few encounters and it's a matter of respect too, to send you off with proper thanks.
Thank you a lot for what you've done for the community, I read a lot of positive and moving opinions about you and I can only wish you the best in the future and your real life. Take care of you and your loved ones, and enjoy life to it's fullest!
Happy holidays.

hits different while listening to the theme

Last edited:

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
i've only been an active zu member for about 9 months, but your impact on the zu community has always been massive. even in the short time i've seen you, you've had MORE than a profound impact. you're a great person, we love you, and we wish you the best <3

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm not good with words and long speech, but I just want to thank you for everything you did for ZU. You've been the face of ZU for longer than I've known about it. As a staff and council member, I can say you've been a great leader and we'll miss you.

You've been the undisputed single most important ZUer in the tier's entire lifespan and you leaving is going to leave a hole that will take a lot of figuring out to fix. There has never been a ZU without 5gen before and we will have to work out what it's gonna look like. Not gonna drag this out much but thanks for everything you've done for the format over the years and I wish you all the best luck in whatever you're going to do in the future! I really hope you stick around the room/discord!

You really were the gray of BW generation. Your modesty is way beyond the horizon I can see. We all have been able to make ZU what it is right now but this is thanks to you and your undisputed leadership all these years. This will be a new era, and this is thanks to you.

I don't tend to post that often on the forums much, but I want to let you know that you're probably one of the best people I've ever met on PS!, or online for that matter.

It was honestly kind of difficult at the start with ORAS, but I tend to think you were the anchor that really drove everyone to succeed and get stuff done. So much has changed since then, and so many people have moved onto different things. But the constant was always your great leadership and level-headed analysis of the metagame.

You're also a great friend. I tend to think back on the times when I had my doubts early on, but you helped me to see the potential we had to bring to the table an awesome metagame. Honestly, you helped me even when thing were really low. I don't think I can ever thank you enough for the advice you gave me, or for just being a pal when I needed one most.

I know this isn't so much a goodbye, but this is such a massive shift to think about. If there's anything I know though, it's that no matter what life throws at you, you'll be better ready to tackle it head on (Lord knows you've seen it all on PS! lmao).

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
Thanks for everything 5gen. You were the best leader ZU could have asked for, and a great role model to look up to. Words cannot express the community's gratitude for your work, and I wouldn't be anywhere that I am today with ZU and Smogon as a whole without your help. Reach out to me whenever, and ZU later!
:psycry:

Dear 5gen,

Thank you for all you've done for our community. It's incredible that you've been here all this time, providing so much for everyone here, and being one of the best communicators whenever someone had a question or anything they needed help on. Thank you for believing in me, and making me DPP ZU TL. Thank you for sharing in your enthusiasm with basketball with me, and thank you for being the foundation on my entire experience in competitive Pokemon. We all have so much respect for you, and I wish you the best of luck on any future endeavor you wish to pursue, whether it's in Pokemon or not.

Best Wishes,
Proc

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wait I just heard about this. God damn.

End of an era for ZU. You were there far before my time and lasted longer too. Honestly I felt like you'd be there to see ZU find the end of its growth, but from what I can tell it's far from done. I trust you're leaving it in good hands.

Felt like I had to say something, idk, it's been a while since I logged in. Good luck in the future man, and thanks for everything you did over the last several years.

SBPC

stranded on an island
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Man interacting with you on this site has to be some of the best times I've ever had, managing 3 back to back zupls with you was some of the most fun I've ever been a part of as well. We're gonna miss seeing you on this site, thanks for absolutely everything you've done and good luck in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)