Is it wrong not to aim to be rich?

People may ask you to join them in a business, with grand promises of grandeur and wealth. When you tell them that it does not interest you because you're not aiming to be rich anyway, they just look at you, disbelieving, and then condescending you. Is it that wrong to be contented with what you have, and not aim to have too much?

If you hate yourself an are rich, would you really enjoy life? I'd love to be rich, but I wouldn't want to be stuck doing something I hate in the process. Life isnt about money, but it certainly is nice to have.

There is nothing wrong with being rich and there is nothing wrong with being poor.

To be honest being poor itself is not degrading, I don't know about yours but in my country some kind of priests does a vow of poverty, I believe in INDIA Monks do the same (correct me if i'm wrong), being poor is also a choice.

On the other hand being completely miserable, and by that below the line of poverty, is outrageous.

To OP: it's fine not aiming to be Rich, it's just not what the majority would think for life.

I agree with coolking49 post too.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Everyone believes being rich will make them automatically happier, because as Americans we want things we can't afford. I do too, but I don't want to be filthy rich, I just want to live a comfortable life.

Aspiring to be more than you currently are is never a bad thing.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
maybe if you were richer you could upgrade to photobucket pro and stop putting up with those bandwidth exceeded messages

I want to have enough money that I don't need to stress about money.
This. I think that sums it up alright.

For me, I dont need to be rich; I just want to have a confortable life, and be able to give my children a happy life and good education like my parents did with me.

Nothing wrong but, I don't see why wouldn't you want to be rich, I mean, you don't need a big ass house, the best car and all that shit, you can perfectly be rich and be modest, just have the car that you want or bike (a Vespa in my case). The best part is that you'll never need money, and if you feel like travel to Europe (for example) you can go, nobody needs to know who you are and you can enjoy your life at it's best.
If I become rich sometime I'll have a small house, with everything that I want, and a nice studio to play my guitar and do my job (graphic design), probably a mini museum (just for me) with all the consoles in existence (just like the AVGN), I'll be very happy with just that :>

I want to have enough money that I don't need to stress about money.
Thing is, how much is that? If you had a large amount of money (say 10 million), you would be rich enough to not really need to work, pay bills and stuff. But, with that much, most people spend it quickly, on luxuries like cars and a big house. But that big house would come with bigger bills, which would make you worry about money again.

The opposite is also true. If you were to give somebody who had no money £500, they wouldn't worry about it, they would just use it where they needed to.

tl/dr The amount of money you would need to have enough to not worry is relative to the position you were in and how you spend it.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
You should really be thinking about what will make you a happy person. I am a real believer that some of what happiness is is biological, that is there are naturally 'buoyant' (no I dont mean fat) people who will still be happy even when everything isn't going their way. And then there are people will won't be happy no matter how much they accomplish, they just aren't happy people.

I don't think I would be happy as a very rich person, money changes people a lot and I wouldn't be the same, I know that. I want to live in what my father calls 'honest poverty' (he is a doctor, and he thinks anyone who isn't making 75,000+ a year is poor). I guess to me that means a journalist, or a teacher, or someone who works for a non-profit organization. I just want to be middle-class, I'm somewhat naturally happy person and I don't feel like having money is what would make me happy. At the same time, I always think 'imagine the money I could be making if I go to law school' and I do think about it, but I would never do it just for the money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)