DPP UU Kinglers Are For Noobs: a UU Stall Team

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Introduction

I've been trying to build a stall team ever since Crobat was banned from UU. Some people can live with checking five or six otherwise uncoverable threats with ScarfRotom, but I can't. It isn't so much a bad as a playstyle preference. I just have to have a solid counter for everything. This team doesn’t quite cover it all, but it comes pretty close in my eyes. It peaked at #1 on the ladder, probably more due to persistence than anything though.

Team Building Process:

When building a UU team, I usually just take one of my existing teams and replace Pokemon accordingly. I take note of the "key elements" each Pokemon possesses, on both the Pokemon I replace and the Pokemon that are replaced. For instance, to me, Registeel's key elements are a)resistances to Normal and Flying, b) resistances to Psychic and Ghost, and c) the ability to check most special variants of Venusaur. If I were to replace it with Rotom, I would have to keep in mind that I would need another answer to Mismagius, Alakazam, and Venusaur, although, I would gain a Fighting immunity in exchange.

Defensive elements

The following are the main key elements I try to cover within a team, in order of importance.

Flying / Normal-type resistance

Notable Threats: Swellow, Scyther, Kangaskhan, and Tauros

I tend to decide this position first because there are so few viable Normal / Flying resistances in the UU tier. If I want to make a stall team, then Omastar fills this spot, as it is the only Spiker with defensive utility fit for a stall team. Otherwise, I usually just default to Registeel / Steelix, changing to Rhyperior, Regirock, or Rotom if it is necessary later.

Grass-type counter

Notable Threats: Venusaur, Sceptile, Leafeon, and Torterra

This is second on the list because Venusaur is the most-used Pokemon in UU, and because of Grass's versatility. I have to find some way to cover physical Grass, special Grass, and SubSeeders. Additionally, Venusaur's ability to take out a check with Sleep Powder is a major issue. I almost always need at least two checks to Grass-types for these reasons.

Exorcist

Notable Threats: Mismagius, Rotom, and Alakazam

Don't know what else to call it. :/ Basically refers to the select few fragile-yet-lethal Psychic- and Ghost-types that populate the metagame. This is a relatively high priority for the reason that the Fire/Water/Grass circlejerk won't work on these Pokemon. This is not so high a priority if I used Registeel for a Flying resistance; if I didn't, I usually have to designate this slot for either Spiritomb or Drapion.

From here on out, almost every problem can be resolved just by sticking a bulky Water (read: Milotic) on the team. I find a bulky Water a necessity anyway (and I think most people do, judging from usage stats, anyway), so it's not much of a hassle).

Water-type counter

Notable Threats: Milotic, Azumarill, Feraligatr, and rain sweepers (Kabutops, Ludicolo, Qwilfish, Gorebyss)

These are handled either by a bulky Water-type or a bulky Grass-type. Rain is also an issue, since countering Ludicolo, Qwilfish, and Kabutops usually involves Pokemon far different from those that handle Azumarill and co.; however, it is a lower priority.

Fire-type counter

Notable Threats: Moltres, Arcanine, Houndoom, and Blaziken

All handled by the aforementioned bulky Water.

By this point, most offensive threats have been dealt with.

Method of dealing with stat-boosters

Notable Threats: Curse Registeel, Calm Mind Clefable, Calm Mind Spiritomb, Curse Cradily

Low priority since most are handled by Haze Milotic. Encore Clefable and a Roar user are alternate answers to them.

[remaining types] resistance

Notable Threats: Aggron, Manectric, Absol, Drapion, and Hitmonlee

Low priority because I usually have most other types covered by the time I get here. I do sometimes run into problems, though. Fighting, Electric, Dark, and Rock are the main issues; everything else is fairly unimportant.

Sleep Absorber

Notable Threats: Venusaur and Ninetales

Sleep is the reason why Venusaur is so good, and why the NU Ninetales can be such a pain. A RestTalker is handy to have around; however, this is a low priority: if I don't have enough wiggle room to include one, I just do without and play around sleep.

Method of dealing with stallbreakers

Notable Threats: Swords Dance Blaziken and Clefable

Read: some way of handling Swords Dance Blaziken, who ravages nearly all stall teams without Altaria. Low priority only because these threats are relatively uncommon.

Other elements

Not necessarily less important than the defensive elements; however, it didn't make much sense to include these with them. These are the factors that make a stall team a team rather than just six walls.

Spikes

Stealth Rock is more important, but seeing as SR isn't as exclusive, Spikes is more of a priority. Spikes are obviously important because of the basic nature of stall teams: force switches through countering opposing Pokemon, thus racking up entry hazard damage.

Stealth Rock

Important, but easily accessible.

Rapid Spinner

Mainly needed for opposing stall/Spike-stacking teams. As with Spikes, this is a high priority because of Rapid Spin's exclusiveness.

Spin-blocker

Ghost-type. I don't consider this as important as the previous elements because of a) Foresight Hitmontop's prominence and b) the fact that most Rapid Spinners are easy to wall / wear down, but it's still handy to have.

Cleric

It's nice, but unnecessary since status can be avoided with good play.

Toxic Spikes Absorber

It's unnecessary since Toxic Spikes is fairly uncommon due to Venusaur's prominence, but again, still nice to have.

Toxic Spikes

Venusaur's presence renders Toxic Spikes fairly ineffective, but if I can include it, it's rather convenient sometimes, although I can never include it.

Stallbreaker

A method of beating opposing stall comes in handy; however, it is hardly necessary since stall is fairly uncommon.

With that out of the way, I started this team by deciding on the Spiker. Qwilfish, Cloyster, and Omastar are the only reasonably decent UU Spikers. I've never been a fan of the first two's defensive abilities: Qwilfish just has shit defenses, and Cloyster has a nasty 2x Stealth Rock weakness and doesn't counter anything useful. Omastar, however, provides me with a Normal / Flying resistance as well as the option of using Stealth Rock. I started off with it.

I then addressed Grass-types. This choice basically boiled down to preference. I wanted to use RestTalk Weezing because of its ability to check most of UU's Grass-types particularly well, regardless of whether they were specially or physically based. Additionally, it was not weak to Stealth Rock, and is one of the only reliable "counters" (in the loosest sense of the term) to all variants of Venusaur.

A Pokemon who dealt with Alakazam and Mismagius was necessary next, and Spiritomb fit perfectly, as it also doubled as a spin-blocker. Registeel would be redundant with Omastar, and Drapion isn't as specially defensive as Spiritomb.

I then needed a bulky Water-type to cover Fires. Milotic and Blastoise were my main choices, since I don't like using Slowbro or Slowking, as neither fares very well against Houndoom. I ended up choosing Blastoise because I wanted to condense my Rapid Spinner and bulky Water into one Pokemon and see if I could cover more with the extra slot on my team. I had tried this on another team, and it had worked out fairly well.

I had covered most of my hierarchy of needs at that point; however, I felt that I was weak to a few things. A well-played Rotom could dismantle my team, as Spiritomb was far from a foolproof counter. SubSeeders would be a pain, especially Sceptile; to me, relying on Weezing to out-stall them is not a very good method of handling them. Finally, I didn't like the idea of being helpless to LO Venusaur after Weezing took the sleep. The choice for this slot basically boiled down to Venusaur or Clefable, and I chose the latter for its ability to provide Aromatherapy support.

One more slot. I noticed I was weak to Swords Dance Blaziken, Curse Registeel, and Absol. Azumarill and Feraligatr would also be problematic with only Blastoise and Weezing able to check them. I ended up using a max Speed Milotic, even though I had specifically avoided using it by choosing Blastoise.

So, my team ended up as follows:

Omastar / Weezing / Blastoise / Spiritomb / Clefable / Milotic

After playtesting for awhile, I decided to give Milotic a more defensive spread and replace Blastoise with Hitmontop, reason being my huge weakness to CB Aggron.

Omastar / Weezing / Hitmontop / Spiritomb / Clefable / Milotic

I ended up covering most of the elements except for resistances to certain types (Electric), a Toxic Spiker, and a Toxic Spikes absorber, which has not adversely affected me that much. And with that, the rest is all play.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Omastar (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 SpA
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Stall's traditional Spiker. Nothing new here: I carry both Spikes and Stealth Rock because no other Pokemon on my team has room for / can learn Stealth Rock. Earth Power is for Qwilfish, who is a pain, as well as Drapion to a lesser extent.

The EVs are the standard for defensive Omastar, with 80 in SpA instead of Special Defense to 2HKO the occasional Glalie.

Weezing (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Yeah, everyone uses this now. Probably the best Venusaur counter in UU; it also helps me with Leafeon, Sceptile, Torterra, and most Fighting-types. Not much to say about it other than it usually ends up doing nothing besides taking Venusaur's Sleep Powder 7 matches out of 10.

56 Defense EVs ensure that a +2 Absol's Night Slash fails to OHKO; the rest are invested into Special Defense to enable Weezing to switch into special Venusaur.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/144 Atk/96 Def/16 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Foresight
- Rest

Standard spinner set. Rest without a cleric is slightly odd; however, it's not like Hitmontop has any better options. It's been marginally useful, more so than anything that could have replaced it, anyway. Hitmontop, in addition to spin support, is my one reliable counter to Absol and helps with bulky Normal-types (Chansey and Clefable), Registeel, and Rhyperior, among others.

EVs enable Hitmontop to outrun Rhyperior, take a +1 SuperPower from Absol, and 2HKO Registeel with Close Combat / OHKO Tomb after Foresight. I think.

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit

Horrible, horrible coverage, but it works. This is quite possibly my favorite part of the team. Dark Pulse is for Will-O-Wisp / Taunt Mismagius, who otherwise chews up stall and spits it out. Shadow Sneak is for plain old Nasty Plot or Calm Mind Mismagius as well as Alakazam, Gardevoir, Rotom, and Jynx. Pursuit makes it easier to dispose of said threats more quickly. Finally, Psychic is for Fighting-types, most especially Toxicroak and Hariyama (whom Weezing cannot burn).

The EV spread enables Spiritomb to take special hits as well as possible, since it's immune to the STABs of most of the physical-based Pokemon it's intended to counter.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt / Toxic

I said Clefable was a cleric - and it was - until I ran into a certain team that utilized Charge Beam Manectric and pretty much swept me with it. So I ended up switching to Calm Mind, as I do have two status absorbers anyway. This also helps me against opposing stall teams as well as any team that plays their Fighters too recklessly. Clefable is also used as a back-up check to certain special sweepers, such as Moltres, Sceptile, Venusaur, and Exeggutor, and it is my primary wall/stallbreaker, breaking through Pokemon such as Blastoise and Spiritomb with relative ease.

I've been trying Toxic over Thunderbolt because Haze Milotic is a huge pain in the ass for this team. It's worked surprisingly well, and I intend to try it a bit more.

While it may seem strange for a Calm Mind Clefable to max out its Special Defense, it's required for it to be able to comfortably switch into threats like Venusaur and Moltres.

Milotic (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Bold nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Recover
- Haze

The best Pokemon in UU. Better than Venusaur, even. Milotic is my insurance against everything from Fire-types to bulky Waters, and from CMTomb to Curse Registeel.

I run more Speed than this, but it doesn't really matter (cough Speed creep cough). Max Defense for taking physical hits as well as possible, near max HP for taking hits in general as well as possible, and an arbitrary amount of Speed to outrun other Milotic, other Pokemon who aim to beat min Speed Milotic / base 80s, and the occasional HeYsUpSkEn.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
Threat List

UU Threats

Absol - Hitmontop is the best possible counter to it; a +1 SuperPower fails to OHKO, and Top KOes with Close Combat.

Arcanine - Milotic handles all variants; Omastar takes ones without Hidden Power Grass.

Aggron - Hitmontop can take a Head Smash and OHKO with Close Combat. Milotic and Omastar can check it if need be.

Alakazam - Destroyed by Spiritomb. Milotic and Clefable can all check it if needed.

Altaria - Dragon Dancers are shut down by Haze Milotic, and Clefable can Ice Beam it.

Azumarill - Milotic is a fair counter to most of them; if need be, Weezing outspeeds almost all Azumarill and can burn them.

Blaziken - Milotic handles all variants except Swords Dance. To be honest, Swords Dance destroys my team ever since I dropped the Speed EVs on Milotic, but I rarely ever see them.

Chansey - Hitmontop handles it, and Omastar can set up on it.

Claydol - Spiritomb blocks its spin and can trap and kill it with Pursuit.

Clefable - Hitmontop beats all variants, unless it's crit / burned by the Mixed Life Orb sweeper or something silly like that.

Cloyster - Milotic 2HKOes most variants with HP Grass. Omastar 2HKOes most Cloyster leads with Earth Power. Not a problem in itself; the entry hazards it sets up are the problem.

Donphan - Clefable 2HKOes with Ice Beam, the Water-types OHKO with Surf, Weezing burns it...not a problem at all.

Drapion - Hitmontop counters it via resistance to Crunch and Intimidate. Milotic can Haze Swords Dance boosts, Weezing can burn it, and Omastar Earth Powers.

Dugtrio - Does practically nothing to my team.

Feraligatr - Milotic Hazes and proceeds to beat down on it with HP Grass. Hitmontop can Intimidate if need be, and Weezing can take a hit and burn it.

Hariyama - Spiritomb can switch in on Close Combat and force it out; Hitmontop can Intimidate it if necessary.

Hitmonlee - Spiritomb and Weezing wall it.

Hitmontop - Same as above.

Houndoom - Milotic counters it, and both Omastar and Clefable can check it depending on the scenario.

Kabutops - Hitmontop can Intimidate it, upon which Omastar can take a hit from it. Milotic can handle it if it hasn't Swords Danced. Can be a problem, though, especially since it gets a relatively free switch-in on my Spiritomb.

Lanturn - Really annoying, but unless it's a RestTalk variant, I will eventually beat it with either Weezing's Will-O-Wisp or Clefable.

Leafeon - Weezing walls it.

Ludicolo - Weezing handles Swords Dance variants, assuming it's high on health and awake; however, it's kind of hard to hope for both. Clefable deals with special variants, but I usually have to sack something to bring it in, or get it in on Energy Ball. Huge, huge threat; thankfully, rain isn't that common, and it can be played around.

Mesprit - Spiritomb dismantles it.

Milotic - Clefable sets up on it and KOes it. Haze variants are extremely annoying. Weezing can outstall it if no critical hits occur, and Clefable can win against it one on one (given some parahax). Extremely annoying, though.

Miltank - Curse + Heal Bell versions are outstalled by Weezing or Milotic. Omastar can set up on most Miltank.

Mismagius - Spiritomb handles any Mismagius; Clefable can deal with most that don't have Taunt.

Moltres - Milotic and Clefable wall it handily, although Clefable cannot switch in on Modest Moltres's Fire Blast.

Nidoking - Mostly a matter of playing around its attacks. Clefable walls pure special variants, while Weezing can handle pure physical variants. Mixed variants without SuperPower usually fall to Clefable. Getting in Milotic on something not named Thunderbolt also works.

Omastar - My own Omastar 2HKOes with Earth Power, and Milotic handles it nicely. Spikes are the only issue.

Poliwrath - :@ Milotic can outlast it, with Haze handling Bulk Up variants.

Regirock - Hitmontop spins Stealth Rock away, and both Milotic and Omastar can threaten it with Surf.

Registeel - Omastar sets up on it; Milotic Hazes away Curses.

Rhyperior - Hitmontop can switch in on it, softening its blows for Milotic. Milotic can also survive a hit and OHKO with Surf.

Rotom - Spiritomb and Clefable handle most variants.

Sceptile - Clefable walls the SubSeeder; Weezing handles everything else.

Scyther - Omastar can tank CB Aerial Aces and 2HKO with Surf. Weezing burns it.

Slowbro - Clefable sets up on it.

Slowking - Clefable sets up on it. Milotic can Haze Nasty Plot variants.

Spiritomb - CroTomb is stalled by Milotic or beaten by Foresight + Close Combat from Hitmontop; other variants are set-up bait for Clefable.

Steelix - Hitmontop spins away Stealth Rock and threatens with Close Combat. Milotic KOes it with Surf.

Swellow - Walled by Omastar.

Tangrowth - Weezing walls it.

Torterra - Weezing walls it.

Toxicroak - Spiritomb walls most variants and OHKOes with Psychic. If worst comes to worst, Weezing can burn physical variants.

Uxie - Spiritomb Pursuits it; Omastar sets up on it.

Venusaur - Weezing is my initial switch-in for taking the sleep. Most special variants are handled by Clefable. Mixed variants are burned, and then I send in Clefable. Swords Dance variants are tricky - I have to hope Sleep Talk picks Will-O-Wisp.

Weezing - Clefable sets up on it.

NU Threats

Articuno - I absolutely loathe this thing, as it can outstall Clefable thanks to Pressure. Thankfully uncommon; can be outstalled by a combination of Weezing and Clefable.

Cradily - Hitmontop takes care of it. If I let it accumulate too many Curses, I can just have Weezing burn it and then Milotic Haze it.

Exeggutor - Weezing takes the sleep and Clefable walls it, unless it has Low Kick, in which case Spiritomb can handle it. Swords Dance variants look problematic, but nobody uses Swords Dance.

Jynx - Milotic outlasts it with Haze, while Spiritomb is capable of finishing it off with Shadow Sneak and/or Pursuit.

Kangaskhan - Omastar can take CB Returns. Milotic can handle any other variant.

Lapras - Clefable deals with special variants; Milotic Hazes away the boosts of Curse and Dragon Dance variants.

Manectric - Clefable is my main answer to this, with Spiritomb and Weezing capable of taking a hit if the need arises. Specs versions could be problematic, but they aren't very common.

Magmortar - A bit annoying to deal with. Defeating it involves getting Milotic in on anything besides Thunderbolt.

Ninetales - Milotic can sort of check it. This is actually a huge, but thankfully uncommon, problem.

Pinsir - 2HKOed by Omastar's Surf if encountered as a lead. As for Swords Dance, I have to play around it. It can only come in on Clefable, though.

Qwilfish - Omastar beats it with Earth Power.

Ursaring - Intimidate with Hitmontop, and then switch to Spiritomb on the Facade.

Potential Changes

Don't know at the moment, but my main priority is somehow being able to more adequately cover the following: SD Venusaur, Ninetales, SD Ludicolo, and Haze Milotic.

Conclusion

UU stall is cool. Use it, etc.

Special thanks to:
-Pokesho for most of the sprites (and Bulbagarden for Spiritomb)
-twash for using this team in Fabbles's tourney and winning the whole thing even though he lost both UU matches he played with it.
-Folgorio, Bluewind, franky, and bad ass for helping out with testing.
-Jun for being cool.
-kd24 for inspiring me to dislike Kinglers (Classiest the best)

Since you say your Weezing doesn't accomplish much most of the time, why not run a Sleep Talk Altaria or even a Toxic stall Rooster because it can still absorb status with Natural Cure. It has pretty good synergy with your team... It takes the Grass attacks that hurt Milotic, while Milotic takes Ice attacks aimed at Altaria. Hitmontop takes Rock attacks, and it has a Ground immunity just like Weezing.

Altaria @ Leftovers
252 HP / 236 Special Defense / 20 Speed
Calm Nature
•Roost
•Toxic
•Heal Bell
•Flamethrower/Dragon Pulse

Made the set myself, but I think it could work... I also can help you defeat Milotic as well... You switch in on Milotic's Surf or Ice Beam (Ice Beam does 53.85 - 63.74% damage), use your 20 Speed EVs to out speed standard 8 Speed Milotic and Roost on the next Ice Beam so you have enough HP to survive 1 more the next turn while you use Toxic. Then, it's all stalling until they switch or die. Heal Bell is pretty obvious since you are a status absorber and you took Heal Bell off of Clefable. Flamethrower is for Steels who are immune to Toxic, but Dragon Pulse is much more powerful.

Altaria @ Leftovers
252 HP / 40 Defense / 216 Special Defense
Careful Nature
•Rest
•Sleep Talk
•Roar
•Dragon Claw

With this set you transfer Milotic's role of Hazing to Altaria, only this time you rack up damage from Spikes and SR so you can therefore run Toxic instead of Haze on Milotic to really cripple opposing Milotic. Also, Weezing's role of status absorber is transferred to Altaria, so it kills two birds with one stone.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I remember fighting someone named "kinglernoob" or something like that ... I was fighting YOU?

Earth Power seems ingenious on Omastar, I must try that out ;)

I suggest Sucker Punch or Mach Punch > Rest on Top; Spiritomb's Shadow Sneak is horribly weak for your only priority, especially as it doesn't affect Swellow, who can punch some serious holes in your core.

EDIT: Why is your Milotic male? D:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Great stall team Eo.

Simple change from a simple man. If you are worried about Nidoking simply running a calm nature to take on special threats a lot easier. Nidoking will never 2HKO and you can handle the fire types easier. It comes with an accute drop in defenses though so that may be a big problem.

Running 252 Hp / 176 Def / 80 SpD gives you good enough SpD to take on more special moves. (Moltres will never 2HKO with HP grass after SR)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very good team, and congrats on #1.

There is only one thing I'm uncomfortable about, and that is Psychic on Spiritomb. You say that it takes out Fighting Pokemon like Hariyama and Toxicroak, but you have a full-stop counter to all Fighting Pokemon in the name of Weezing. I think it'll just be better if you replaced it with Hidden Power Fighting, since Houndoom still sets up on you easily, and with Milotic even slightly weakned, it's going to cause you trouble.

Anyways, what is with the hate for Kingler?? He's a FINE POKEMON!!

Very good team, and congrats on #1.

There is only one thing I'm uncomfortable about, and that is Psychic on Spiritomb. You say that it takes out Fighting Pokemon like Hariyama and Toxicroak, but you have a full-stop counter to all Fighting Pokemon in the name of Weezing. I think it'll just be better if you replaced it with Hidden Power Fighting, since Houndoom still sets up on you easily, and with Milotic even slightly weakned, it's going to cause you trouble.

Anyways, what is with the hate for Kingler?? He's a FINE POKEMON!!
I don't have much to say about the team because it's solid from what I used, it's very easy to pick up and play. I just wanted to disagree with this because I when I used this team however long ago, Psychic was really useful in testing for Hitmontop, and even the weird Venusaur switch-ins. I stuck with the Speed spread you gave me Eo and it seemed to work fine, it was pretty cool to have that safety booster against offensive teams which rely on out-speeding defensive Milotic to beat it.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi nEOb,

I haven't really faced this team many times, but I've seen it in action in plenty occasions, especially when you were getting owned by random people on the UU Ladder (those weren't rare); and have said pretty much everything I had in my mind. The only thing I can add by now is that you could try Donphan over Hitmontop. With that change you finally obtain an Electric (and Thunder Wave) resist, maintains your check to Rhyperior and Aggron (fuck Magnet Rise), get an additional check to Pinsir/Scyther that annoying Folgorio keeps bringing up and counters Specs Manectric more effectively. Maybe those changes aren't enough to completely shield you against the latter, but I guess you could try a Cleric Clefable now that you have it more covered.

Good luck wEOk, you suck but your team doesn't =)

PS: You could run HP Ground, as it hits both Houndoom and Toxicroack.

I've faced this team a few times I think, and I hate it because you pair up WeezLotic with Tomb which is annoying cause my Zam/Lee combo doesn't have a problem with those 2 alone (and I hate your haxfable). >_>

Nice job on the team.

Lucky for you many people don't use Golduck (Calm Mind + Encore) nowadays, as it like, 6-0's you. :D I've started to use it though so watch out. >:)

Why would you run Pursuit on Spiritomb when you can run HP Fighting like someone said and give yourself more insurance against Houndoom? Pursuit is a waste when Dark Pulse + Shadow Sneak will kill Mismagius anyway. Hell, you can even run Rest over Pursuit because it will help tremendously against opposing stall teams. As of now, any other stall team will kick your ass because of how easily Spiritomb can be worn down. Clefable isn't enough to beat opposing stall teams that carry Hitmontop and/or Taunt Drapion especially.

Everything else is pretty good. Your team looks like it has a lot of trouble with Rain Dance, but even my stall team did with Tangrowth even, so I won't dwell on that too much.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
@Shnoogle: Replacing Weezing with Altaria would open up problems to Leafeon and Fighting-types, neither of which Altaria is particularly adept at handling. Someone else did suggest Altaria as well, only over Clefable instead, so I might try that instead.

@ThePowerWithin: Milotic is male because I was lazy and didn't change genders. Swellow doesn't really trouble me, as it's walled by Omastar, and Spiritomb and Milotic can take a hit and KO it if need be. I will consider Sucker Punch for general utility, though.

@PK Gaming: You're probably right about Raichu (I don't know where the original post went). It has a hard time setting up on most of my Pokemon, but if it switches in on Milotic or Omastar, I might end up needing to sack a Pokemon. Will try the Milotic spread, especially with Magmortar gaining popularity.

@Shrang: Weezing can't really handle Hariyama due to Guts, and I don't like relying on Will-O-Wisp's accuracy for Toxicroak, especially since Weezing then cannot do anything besides weakly hit it with Sludge Bomb. Kingler is also vastly mediocre in my opinion, but that aside, I was just making fun of user KD24's name.

@Bluewind: I thought about Donphan, but its spinning ability is somewhat mediocre (primarily against Rotom; Hitmontop can at least Foresight, whereas I have to predict the switch-in and Assurance). Otherwise, it sounds good, though, and I'll try it for the other perks.

@Thund91: Can't Milotic just switch in and Haze it? :p Sounds pretty annoying, though; I'll have to use Toxic on Clefable again.

@ToF: The reason why I carry Pursuit is because I really like immediately eliminating fragile Psychic-types/Ghost-types as well as severely damaging / possibly eliminating Uxie / Mesprit leads (I switch out turn 1 vs. most Mesprit leads because of the threat of Grass Knot), but you are right about Houndoom being a problem. I've gotten admittedly lucky with it not flinching / critting Milotic (or initiating a sweep while Milotic is weakened), but should those scenarios occur, I would most likely be swept, so I'll try HP Fighting out. As for Rest, I haven't had much problem with Spiritomb's survivability (granted, stall is relatively rare on ladder) but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for all the rates!

In my experience playing against Omastar, running double hazards is kind of overloading him. He doesn't have too many opportunities to switch in, so if something like Hitmontop spins, you'll have some trouble setting them back up. Furthermore, he can get worn down by opposing hazards and things like Seismic Toss from Chansey/Registeel and Uxie's Psychic.

Therefore, something you could consider is reverting back to a support Clefable set with Stealth Rock and Aromatherapy, and giving Omastar Rest. You lose your weapon against stall, but your team gains more survivability overall, and you have an easier time against the more common balanced teams. The set looks something like:

Clefable @ Toxic Orb
Careful - 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Facade / Stealth Rock / Aromatherapy / Softboiled

You mentioned a weakness to Charge Beam Manectric, but Facade does 60-71%.

I dunno, I can see the merits of having an emergency Pokemon that can win games on its own, but it's still something to consider.

A crazier, slightly less serious suggestion is changing Clefable to Meganium. This gives you the same cleric support, but you now have the resistances that Grass typing gives you. Mainly, Electric. The set would be:

Meganium @ Leftovers
Bold - 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Grass Knot / Earthquake / Synthesis / Aromatherapy

Now you have a Pokemon that can take on Specs Manectric. It serves as a back-up check for things like Torterra and Feraligatr should their respective counter fall. It also can take on Haze Milotic, whereas Clefable and your own Milotic are a wash. In exchange, you become infinitely weaker to Moltres. Moltres for Manectric. Probably not a great trade-off.

Hi. It seems like you are ridiculously weak to Passho Houndoom so I would have to second everyone in saying that you should run Hp Fighting > Psychic or Pursuit (psychic imo) on Tomb. Ya, Weezing can't Burn Hariyama but Close Combat does shit as do its other moves against it so you can stall it out and beat it with Rest and Sludge Bomb. Just my two cents, but this is a really awesome team, and gl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)