Leaving for College!

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going on with what Matthew said, university does not ensure a job, nor does a degree give you a one way ticket to a 100k salary job. University is a place to learn and if you're not invested in learning, nor are you actually interested in the realm of study that you're entering, then you're much better off going to a technical school and learn a trade, or doing something you're passionate about. I've seen too many of my friends spend thousands of dollars and eventually drop out because they didn't realize this.

It doesn't help that you are basically programmed all through out your youth to think college is the end all be all or you will end up homeless.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't know you could major in Evolution :o

But anyway, as for me, I'm in my second year, still undecided, but I plan to take the MCAT and go for med school regardless of my bachelor's degree :)
Have you talked to people (like a pre-med advisor) about this? If you're going into your second year you'll most likely have to take the revised MCAT, which now includes biochemistry, psychology, and sociology. In addition to the other MCAT pre-requisites that will severely limit your possible majors. Just wanted to let you know!!

As for me, I'm going into my third year, I leave on Thursday. I'm a Biochemistry major, Psych and Health, Medicine & Society minor (which is like... health care from a societal view). I loved Freshman year, after the four horrible days of orientation that is. I made tons of friends, had loads of free time and had tons of fun. I still enjoyed Sophomore year, but had ... very little free time. Was studying all the time, etc. etc. College is full of fantastic opportunities though, so make sure to keep your eyes open!

So there's my little personal spiel that some of you may or may not read. I was just wondering, how many have you been to college? I'd really like to hear what your first experiences were like. Make me feel a little bit better (or worse) about this significant change in my life!
It's better than you can imagine. Let's just say that. I go to an accelerated college so I get my bachelor's in 2 years, so I basically go to school full time. But, even then, college is waaaaaaaaaay more awesome than living with my parents and going to high school.

Protip #1 - Make sure you keep yourself healthy. It's invigorating to be living on your own by your own rules, but make sure to eat right. I made that mistake early on and felt like shiiiiiiit for a while.

Protip #2 - Start exercising. More. I was never really that into exercising in high school, but I can't live without it in college. College is way more stressful education-wise and having a better standard of energy and general health is invaluable.

I probably have more tips but I can't think of them right now. Congratulations dude, best of luck.

EDIT: Well, experiences. Can't say a whole lot since I'm usually getting worked like a slave, but the best thing that came out of my education is definitely the friends and experience of living on my own.

Just a question is leaving home for college for good, and living on campus and stuff, is that all around America or something? Or is it a path only a few take. Because in Australia not many people do this.
Most US people do this. Unless you go to a community college or something (but that leads to a university as well).

I love college! I was really antisocial in high school, but I've gradually come out of my shell in college.

Most US people do this. Unless you go to a community college or something (but that leads to a university as well).

I love college! I was really antisocial in high school, but at college I become only a little antisocial ;)
In fact, it's even a requirement at my college that freshmen live on campus in dorms.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words, everybody!

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I graduated college in 2009 so I've been through a bit more of it than some of you. My advice would consist of the following:

1) Although it's a time to enjoy and discover yourself, do realize that you're laying the groundwork for the type of future that you will have. If you find yourself not enjoying what you thought you might, dump it. Also, try not to goof off and party too much ;D

2) Leave yourself open to new experiences and ideas. Unless you are going to a small college with people you've known your whole lives, the people you're going to meet will have wildly different ideas and experiences from your own. Be open to them and learn from them. It will broaden your horizons and you will be grateful for it later on.

3) Be fucking safe, in all senses of the word.

I'm about to head into my second year of college. My freshman year was really fun, if only because you get to work much more on your own schedule because you're living without your family. I was able to learn much more, study, get some of the extracurricular stuff done, exercise, and make time for friends all while getting an adequate amount of sleep- something that was extremely difficult to do in high school. However, that all hinges on you being productive. I've known many people who are less efficient about their studies and end up going into no-sleep zombie mode.

I know I've only done my first year of studies, but as long as you're responsible about getting your shit done in a timely manner, you won't be nearly as stressed as high school. And about your girlfriend, I'm really glad for you that you were able to bring your old one with you to school, but keep in mind that you're both going to change. Don't let your heart lock onto her too tightly because high school relationships tend to end.

Althought I'm just breaking into 10th grade this year, my college plan consists of majoring in Preforming Arts (wanting to be an actor ^.^) and minoring in Screenwriting (making scripts for movies, in case my face holds against me).

Anywhoo, good luck in college Byrne! Psychology sounds, eh, fun, I guess? As long as you enjoy it, go for it!

/end cliche statement

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One of my best friends is going to Carleton.

Anyways I'm lucky because there is a university not far from me, so I can live with my family until they move(which is shortly). I'm going to the University in Alberta next month, and am undeclared for my first year but am leaning towards a major in Physics :)
I'm going into second year honors neuro at University of Alberta lol.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I left 2 days ago for school, my parents are now 2400km away from me :/ Toronto is a great city though, I can already tell that I'll love it here!

I'm also heading to college soon, (two weeks exactly) and planning on getting a double major in Entomology and either Japanese or Spanish language (I have a background in both, so I haven't decided which I'd rather pursue.)

I have to say my biggest worry is keeping myself on task and organized, as I tend to be forgetful when left to myself. I can't say I'm as worried about classes, as I am about my own procrastinating nature. >_>

I didn't know you could major in Evolution :o

But anyway, as for me, I'm in my second year, still undecided, but I plan to take the MCAT and go for med school regardless of my bachelor's degree :)
The full name of my major is Ecology, Evolution, and Natural Resources.

I am moving off to college in a week, and I have to say that I am definitely exited. Though I thank my parents for what they have done for me these last eighteen years, I am definitely looking forward to the greater freedom and responsibilities that come with being a college student or simply living away from home.

I think that I will struggle most on the social scene given that I have slight social anxiety and, as a result of that, I don't have much experience going out with friends and such. On the plus side, I consider myself to be fairly organized and motivated to succeed, so I don't think that I will have too much of a problem with academics.

Anyway, I will be attending Washington University in St. Louis where I hope to major in an interdisciplinary program there called Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology. I also plan on pursuing a pre-med track with the intention of moving on to medical school once I graduate.

I'll make sure to keep you guys up to date on how my first week experience goes if you'd like.

If I could offer some advice, it would be to join a couple of clubs or groups that interest you. There should be plenty at any university, and it will help you to make new friends since you'll get to know the people in the group.

As someone about to go into his second year, have fun everyone! Most important thing IMO is to talk to other freshers and make some friends. Don't spend your spare time stuck in a room by yourself; get out there and get to know people. And remember Pokémon is some sort of universal constant for people our age - at least in my experience!

my parents are now 2400km away from me :/
Who needs parents anyway?

Easy for me to say. I've walked from my uni to my house before. It's not something I'd do every day though!

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Senior in Atmospheric Sciences here and hopefully moving on to gradschool. The most important thing to consider as an incoming freshman is to not let yourself get carried away. I really liked being able to live independently from my parents as well as having more free time (at first, anyway). But the fact that you have to make all of your own choices can also be a trap: For instance, you should always resist the urge to skip even just one class if you can. I also, like several others before me have pointed out, highly suggest finding something to do academically outside of your classes. In my case, it was getting involved in an area of research I was heavily interested in, and with that I have gained some motivation to work harder as my program has become more difficult.

One other piece of advice that I am surprised to not see mentioned at all yet: Learn to deal with your roomates well. Unfortunately, far too many of us likely had our hands held by our parents as far as chores or cleanliness would go before college. As a result, your roomate will probably be a big slob and likely so will you. If you really don't give a shit about keeping your place clean (though you should), then it probably won't be a problem, but I found it a bit tricky in my case. It isn't as applicable to dorms depending on their size but it can be a huge headache if you later move into an apartment. In general, it is best to start off by being courteous. If I constantly pressed my roomate to clean up the sink, he would just brush me off and call me a nag, but when I asked him to politely, he happily obliged. In an ideal world, you won't need to ask but unfortunately this will likely be the case.

Meet as many people that could help you get a job as you can. Consider a minor in a different field, and work hard on your grades.

Oh, and always try to pick your schedule for next semester as early as possible to avoid having difficult classes early in the morning.

edit: My first room mate was crazy as fuck so I requested to be moved to a single dorm room. Best move ever.

Also, be responsible with your time. All-nighters are not fun.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Good luck Byrne and everyone else starting college :)

Leaving in another year, still thinking about art school in either San Fran or NYC(Home City) but I'm still undecided at this point.

Matthew said:
I think the best words were said by my college English professor last year, "don't come to college because you have to or because you think it's the way to a life with a lot of money. The best life is to live one where you know everything you are passionate about, where you're happy with what you're doing and where you are planning on going later in your life. If you choose college and make a lot of money doing something you're happy about, I'm happy for you. If you choose college to further your knowledge on something you're passionate about then I'm proud of you."
Words my a very wise man(or woman, you didn't tell which)

yeah, i'm moving into toronto as well, to get a bachelor of fine arts at ocad. i guess i should be pretty nervous but tbqh i'm more excited about finally moving out. best of luck to everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)