Little things you like about Pokémon

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mild Epilogue SV spoiler

Nemona training up two Kitakami Pokemon to be battle ready in the span of a day is a nice underspoken character detail for her, and given EXP candy is funnily easy to imagine pulling off from a player perspective.

Also supposedly, every Pokemon besides Nemona's has a Poison Tera Type while the trainer is controlled by Pecharunt, which is a funny detail if true
Funny perhaps but yeah she’s the only one who Terastalizes

Latin American Castillian shouldn't be considered the same language as Spanish Castillian, but that fucks over the pretensions of hegemony of the Madrid wannabe metropolis (those same people will break tooth and nail trying to pretend Valencian and the Balearic languages are not Catalonian, for the record).

Same deal with Brazilian and Portuguese; Galician is often not counted as the same language, but the split between the 3 main branches of Galician-Portuguese happenend at the same time.

Iberoamerican linguistics are not the same deal as Angloamerican linguistics.

We in Spain had to deal with Hispanoamerican "neutral" translations for a long while as well. They are intelligible, but nobody speaks that way over here. We don't go "fuck Iberoamerica" over dubs tho (well, the hateful racists may, but fuck 'em).

Last edited:
OK let me complain cause 210 000 000 people speak spanish in latin america and 100 000 000+ people speak swahili in Africa And 100 000 000 is a large number And We dont have exact numbers So itd be modest to estimate 1,3*10^6

anyways, I understand The frustration cause I couldnt imagine read "tabernacle' or "chocolatine" in the french version. Im Too bad At canadian french to Give any example but et, isupport u

Coronis

Impressively round
They should just leave the games in Japanese and we all have to deal with it. Or release the translated versions for every single language in the world 6 months laterz

Incidentally, situations like that is why many companies don't really bother localizing their games other than jp/cn/english and occasionally german/french/regular spanish, and even more rarely, italian or russian.

Having to deal with all the potential nuances of correcting jokes in order to make sense, avoid potential culturally offensive things, and then on top of that also deal with regional differences in countries that speak almost the same language is both time consuming and expensive, and often just not worth it.

I mean, the case of Castillian and Portuguese is quite isolated, as the cultural differentiation is far more significative than the one in the Anglosphere or Francosphere.

But yeah, proper adaptions should be things. What isn't worth it is CEOs raising their salaries.

Why is this discussion being held in the ”Little things you like about pokemon” thread?
Someone said they enjoyed bad translations and it evolved from there
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a social media campaign about this that culminated in TPC actually forming and opening hires for a Latin American translation department for the games? Like yeah it sucks that it even got to this point and couldn't be done before SV released but unless I'm missing something it seems like the issue is resolved for the near future? Or is the aforementioned news considered not good enough, i.e. until something actually comes out of it it's basically the equivalent of just talk?
Well, they hired this dudder like two years ago, but so far the games remain without a Latin American traslation
so yeah, we'll believes it when we sees it

Oh, and the issue is not that "people here don't talk like that, mumble, mumble", several spaniard phrases go from unintelligible to straight up offensive when said in Latin America

Last edited:
Someone said they enjoyed bad translations and it evolved from there

Well, they hired this dudder like two years ago, but so far the games remain without a Latin American traslation
so yeah, we'll believes it when we sees it

Oh, and the issue is not that "people here don't talk like that, mumble, mumble", several spaniard phrases go from unintelligible to straight up offensive when said in Latin America
Same with Latin American phrases over here you know. Are you implying Spanish Castillian by itself is a bad translation? Because that's quite a bit more offensive than a few "mierdas".

Here’s something about my favorite gen 7 Pokémon: I think it’s pretty sick that Alolan Muk’s jagged teeth is supposed to just be shards of broken glass. It feels like a really creative addition to a design archetype of “Big Pile of Toxic Waste”.

Also I like that Durant’s hidden ability is Truant because it’s a True Ant lol.

Coronis

Impressively round
So was looking at a Reddit post asking who you’d want as a partner in the Detective Pikachu City (no battles, 1 Pokemon kept outside a ball) I’d obviously have a Suicune and turns out its the perfect ride size.

I went to Home to check that and saw some other stuff that interested me. Always pictured T-tar so much bigger but it doesn’t even crack 7 ft. Shaq would destroy it.

IMG_9054.png

Also some of these older box legends I may have underestimated their true size in my head.

Rhydon and the Nido’s kinda surprised me too.

So was looking at a Reddit post asking who you’d want as a partner in the Detective Pikachu City (no battles, 1 Pokemon kept outside a ball) I’d obviously have a Suicune and turns out its the perfect ride size.

I went to Home to check that and saw some other stuff that interested me. Always pictured T-tar so much bigger but it doesn’t even crack 7 ft. Shaq would destroy it.

View attachment 594533

Also some of these older box legends I may have underestimated their true size in my head.

Rhydon and the Nido’s kinda surprised me too.
Unrelated to the sizes I love how Lugia's popping in from partially off-screen like "what's all the racket in here?!"

Castersvarog

formerly Maronmario
I think if anything the one in the anime is much bigger
Not surprising, the anime loves to play fast and loose with the size of mons. Personally I love it for that, makes giant mons like the weather trio and wailord feel even larger while relatively smaller mons like Salamence or Charizard feel like proper monsters that you could use as a ridable mount.

Same with Latin American phrases over here you know. Are you implying Spanish Castillian by itself is a bad translation? Because that's quite a bit more offensive than a few "mierdas".
Are.. are you serious?
do you find the phrase "several phrases in X region go from unintelligible to straight up offensive when said in Y region" confusing somehow?
do you sincerely not see the problem?

I have been saying that 2 different Castillian language versions are needed, as assuming Castillian remains a single language is a folly. The translation is very on point over here, push for a different one at that side of the Atlantic rather than bemoaning people enjoying them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)