Long time listener, first time caller. 1st Gen VI Team!

Hey, guys! I've been around Smogon since all the way back in Gen IV, which was the last time I played competitively. After a few years, I'm finally beginning to get back into the competitive side of the game. Since the new generation's metagame is just starting to heat up, I figured I'd throw my hat in. Here's my team!

We'll start off with the main lead of the team: Galvantula.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpA/4 HP
Nature: Modest
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder

The main focus of this guy is to come in fast, set up Sticky Web, and get the fudge out. Since a large portion of this team has a considerable amount of bulk behind it, the Sticky Web is helpful in keeping the offensive momentum up. Beyond that, Thunder OHKOs things like Skarmory (unless it has Sturdy) and Greninja. Bug Buzz is a good STAB move. But for real, though...Sticky Web. I can't count the number of times I've had him around and stopped a sweep because I threw him in late to set up webs.

Since Galvantula has Volt Switched out and you need a reliable follow-up, I present to you one of the more interesting members of the team: Blissey

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def/252 SpD/4 HP
Nature: Bold
- Stealth Rocks
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Seismic Toss

This Blissey is a little different than most. Instead of maxing out special bulk, and statusing the other team to death, this Blissey likes to come in, tank a hit if necessary, and set up its Stealthy Stalagmites. After it sets up rocks. The EV spread ensures that it can take physical hits as well as special ones. Toxic can be useful to cripple any bulky mons that want to overstay their welcome. Aromatherapy can heal the team, and Seismic Toss gets far more consistent damage than Flamethrower, albeit at the cost of not hitting ghosts.

Greninja, the other possible lead of this team, serves as more of an anti-lead than anything else.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spd/4 HP
Nature: Timid
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-Turn

Greninja, in my opinion, is one of the best anti-leads in the game right now. With Protean and the amount of coverage its movepool allows it, Greninja can effectively scare off most of the commonly used leads in the game. Hydro Pump 2HKOs Tyranitar in the sand, as well as hitting a lot of other mons for neutral damage. Ice Beam provides great late game coverage against dragons, and U-Turn helps to complete the VoltTurn core. I chose Dark Pulse over Grass Knot because ghosts were popping up far more than bulky water types.

Dragonite serves as one of the main sweepers on this team.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk/248 Spd/8 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

First off, the weird EV spread ensures an odd amount of HP, so Dragonite can take rocks with ease. With Spin/Defog support, Multiscale-WP Dragonite can be a gamebreaker. Since Dragonite is SE bait, he should have no problem getting his boost. The real danger here comes from Dragon Dance. If predicted correctly, he could end up with +3Atk, +2SpA, and +1Spd in one turn. This is a fairly standard moveset, with the bulk of the work coming from STAB Dragon Claw. Extreme Speed is for messing with things like Talonflame and other priority abusers, while Fire Punch covers Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, and even hits Aegislash hard with a DD boost.

BULKY SCIZOR FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/252SpD
Nature: Impish
- Defog
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

This Scizor really helps this team function. The EV spread here allows him to take even Fire Punch from an unboosted Dragonite and live to tell the tale. With Defog, he is able to ensure that Dragonite keeps his Multiscale intact. It also helps to clear out things like Sticky web so the possible sweep won't be hindered by the lowered speed. Roost keeps Scizor alive to blow away more entry hazards, and Bullet Punch allows Scizor to check those pesky fairies.

Speaking of pesky fairies...

Azumarill @ Lum Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 SpD
Nature: Adamant
- Rest
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Azumarill is one of the best pokes in the metagame right now. He walls dragons, checks the ever-present steel types and even hits most walls (i.e. Blissey, Steelix, etc) like a freight train. This guy originally was a Belly Drum sweeper, but after testing, I was never able to really set up with him, so I figured I'd put Rest and a Lum on him. As it turns out, it works like a dream. Even if Rest isn't used, the Lum Berry takes care of WoW, Thunder Wave, and Toxic users, allowing for a free hit, or switch-in (with a good prediction). Aside from that, this guy is as standard as they come.

WEAKNESSES
- Breloom: Breloom keeps royally screwing my team up after D-Nite kicks the bucket
- MegaKang: Seriously, this thing needs to be banned. It sucks, and I hate it.
- Bulky Water types: I don't really have much of anything to hit them hard (specifically Quagsire)
- Bulky teams in general: They take my hits, and run me into the ground with stalls and set-ups

THANKS, GUYS!!!

suggestion: Blissey: move EVs from sDef to HP

252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Blissey: 148-175 (20.7 - 24.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Psychic vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Blissey: 122-146 (18.7 - 22.4%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

moving EVs from sDef to HP makes almost no difference in taking special attacks

252+ Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 334-394 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 334-394 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

moving EVs from sDef to HP allows blissey to take physical attacks a good bit better

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, got the request, and this isnt bad for your first gen vi rmt. However there are a couple of pressing issues it seems. From what it looks like, the team focuses on a DD Dragonite sweep, by haviing Sticky Web up to ease it. Defog Scizor creates momentum while getting rid of hazards, greninja is an anti lead and good revenge killer, and blissey tanks everything. There are two awkward things tho. You use a sash lead for sticky web...with a defog user. Not to mention Scizor's EVs are wacky. Next, Blissey really just gobbles up momentum. Yeah its a good switch in to a lot of things, but its complete set up bait. Its just awkwardly there.

The more pressing issue however is the defog+sticky web situation. I like sticky web and i think it helps you more than it hurts, so I would suggest trying Mega Lucario over Mega Scizor. This gives you an excellent wallbreaker for Dnite to function with, a good steel type as well, and it also beats mega kang 1 on 1, no relying on speed ties when you both Digivolve. Mega Luke also puts mucho pressure on the opponent and gives you better priority in 80 BP Bullet Punch.

Next, you need a good spinner. The first thing that comes to mind is Analytic Starmie as it lures in TTar for Lukers, while also beating and hitting common spinblockers really hard, like gourgeist, trevenant, and Aegislash (or gengar but w/e).

Lastly, some set changes. With Sticky Web support, theres no need to run Dragon Dance on Dragonite. Try Earthquake as it hits Heatran and Aegislash, the latter of which is a pretty big thread. Next, this is just personal preference, but I like to run Sub+3 Attacks Azumarill. However that's just me. Regardless, Waterfall>Superpower. Good luck with your team, hope I helped!! <3

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Trait: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Spe/ 252 Atk/ 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin]

I apologize if this is a horrid rate, im extremely tired at the moment

Awesome! I'll try these out and edit the OP accordingly. Thanks!

Just one question though. This Starmie set looks like it does pretty much the same thing Greninja does, but with U-Turn switched for Rapid Spin. Isn't it a bit redundant?

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah i noticed that after i rated. Just use like, excadrill or something, since i realized blissey was your rocks setter. Bulky excadrill works too. Like i said i was exhausted when i wrote that so yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)