ORAS OU Lopchomp balanced offensive

What do you think of Mega Lopunny?

• Total voters
I have created a new team built around Mega lop and when playing Pokemon showdown, I noticed that my matches were slightly inconsistent and also weak to the fat bastard known as Mega Venusaur. Ok so on to the building process.

Tankchomp is a great partner for Mega-Lop as it lure bulky water types, ground types etc. and cripple them with toxic and well as get chip damage with dragon tail and stealth rock. It also wears down physically defensive Pokemon.

I realised I needed a check to psychic types and fairy types and also, bulk. Scizor, imo, is the best as it can hit fairy types hard and psychic types and either outright OHKO them or weaken them into KO range for Lop.
It also can pursuit trap Latias,Gengar etc.

I chose Starmie as a bulky spinner and it can also stall out ferrothorn with burning and reflect type and prevent leech seed. It also absorbs status for my team.

Gengar helps as a wallbreaker to smash physically defensive Pokemon and has decent synergy with its fellow wallbreaker, Scizor. It also works as a great anti-lead with taunt and can destroy popular leads such as Lando-T and opposing chomp. (Changed to heatran)

Thundurus is to check venusaur and can paralayse any sweeping threats and helps to take out bulky water, grass and ground types.

In Depth

@Loppunite
Limber--> Scrappy
252 Atk 252 Spe 4 def
Adamant
High Jump Kick
Return
Fake Out
Ice Punch

So this is the standard M-Lop set. I use this late game to clean up as its speed power and coverage are great thanks to Scrappy. EVs are standard for a physical sweeper and an adamant nature is for extra power because I think the power is more important for lopunny to get more chip damage and turn 2HKOes into OHKOes. HJK is its first STAB and return is its second more spammable STAB. I use fake out on the switch for chip damage. Ice Punch hits dragons and Landorus T.

Rocky Helmet
Rough Skin
252 Hp 164def 76 SpD 16 Spe
Impish
Stealth Rock
Dragon Tail
Earthquake
Toxic

I use Garchomp as a lead or bring it in early game after Gengar anti-leads. I also use it to check electric types as well as VoltTurn cores thanks to its typing and lure bulky water types and ground types and cripple them so that M-Lop can take them out, or one of my wallbreakers. It possesses a good set of resistances giving it good synergy with Scizor (fire types), thundurus (rock types) Starmie (electric). Scizor in particular can take out fairy types for it and Garchomp can switch into fire moves. As a result, it forms core with M-Lop.
Rocks are my entry hazards, dragon tail to phaze and to chip away at opposing mons health. EQ is standard STAB.

Choice Band
Technician
248 Hp 252 atk 8 Spdef
Adamant
Bullet Punch
U turn
Superpower
Pursuit

This Pokemon is my primary check to fairy types and also specifically weavile with Bullet Punch. It also destroys psychic types for Lopunny and functions as an early game wallbreaker to switch in and punch holes in the opposing team with Gengar. The choice band set appealed to me with its bulk and power. I made a small change to the EV spread as I wanted better overall bulk. Bullet Punch is to hit fairy types as well as having priority and being its most spammable move. U-turn is used to hit hard, pivot and scout and is its second STAB which smashes psychic types. Superpower hits ferrothorn and surprise Magnezone on the switch. Pursuit allows Scizor to act as a lure and hits Latis and gengar.

Life Orb
Analytic
252 Spa 252spe 4 def
Psyshock
Hydro Pump
Rapid Spin
Ice Beam

Starmie is meant to be an offensive spinner. I originally was using the Reflect Type set but this set was suggested to beat Hippowdon and possibly other ground types. This Pokemon is good for pressuring the opponent thanks to analytic and has a chance to beat Mega Venusaur 1v1 with psyshock. Hydro Pump is its second Stab and ice beam Is for coverage. This Pokemon checks Hippowdon and Mega-V so it is vital.

Life Orb
Prankster
252 Spa 4hp 252Spe
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Psychic

Thundurus functions as a support attacker with great coverage and can defeat many of Lopunny's checks and can cripple any dangerous sweepers before they set up such as Gyarados and Charizard. Thunderbolt also hits water types such as Keldeo and Slowbro after they have been crippled by Garchomp and It also checks flying types such as Skarmory and Charizard Y and to some extent talonflame. Hidden Powe Ice hits grass types and ground types such as serperior, Landorus, Gliscor, Zapdos, Amoongus Etc. Psychic hits poison types especially mega Venusaur. This is a problem as if thundurus dies Mega Venusaur becomes annoying and possible dangerous to my team. EV spread is to make as fast and as powerful as possible so that it can dish out as much damage as possible to wear down the opponent.

Life Orb
Levitate
252Spa 252spe 4spd
Shadow Ball
Sludge Wave
Taunt

Icy Wind

Gengar and Scizor form a solid wallbreaking core, both covering each other's weaknesses quite well and both being able to hit very hard. Gengar is a special attacker so that it can pave the way to a sweep for M-Lop and can also help Cizor break down physically defensive Pokemon such as Skarmory. It also functions as a check to fairy types which aren't weak to Bullet Punch such as Azumarill. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave are its standard moves that I spam to wear the team down. Taunt allows it to function as a great anti lead as it can usually outspend most popular leads excluding weavile. Icy Wind hits ground types and also popular leads such as Lando-T and Garchomp for 4x damage.

Weaknesses
Mega Venusaur
If Thundy is gone it can destroy my team as I have no other check to it.
The stall core with Chansey and Ferrothorn can take hits from my Scizgar wallbreaking core. Lopunny can switch into Chansey though. Stall in general is annoying to my team.

Last edited:

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Hey bro! Cool team you have there. I have a couple of suggestions that might help the team out :]

First off, I would change Mega Lopunny's nature from Adamant to Jolly. Jolly lets you speed tie with other base 135s such as opposing Mega Lopunny, and Mega Manectric as well as outspeed Alakazam and Tornadus T.

Next thing I would change would be Scizor's set. It's a bit unorthodox, so I'mma help you with that.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Set Details: I decided to change Bug Bite to U-Turn, to gain offensive momentum when predicting Scizor's checks to come in. I understand you want Brick Break to break screens, but screens are super common in this meta, as the only viable screeners in the tier are Klefki and maybe lead Azelf. I decided to go max hp to give Scizor as much as bulk as possible.

Finally, I'd change Icy Wind on Gengar for Focus Blast. With Focus Blast, it at least lets you try and predict scarf Tars to Pursuit and pick em off with a Focus Blast.

I hope you take my suggestions into consideration. GL with the team, and tell me how it works out :]

Hey there,
Nice team there a few minor changes that i would suggest:
1) I would rather you have psychich on starmoie rather than reflect type so you can ohko non sp investment venusaur after rocks
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 273-322 (75 - 88.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
2)I would also recommend that you have endure over earthquake on garchomp as it serves no vital purpose, endure will also let you pe a pain for megagross mega bunny and sd talonflame.
3)I would also suggest changing scizors brick break to super power also i suggest taking out a little hp and investing into speed so you outspeed heatran with +8 speed evs

I typed up a huge response throughly explaining the changes i suggested, just to find out Smogon logged me out and the post ended up getting lost somehow. Sigh sigh sigh.

I'll just post the sets and give a brief overview of why i suggested the changes since it's a lot to type and format all over again.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch / Power-Up Punch

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

- Rapid Spin

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

Jolly > Adamant Lopunny to get the most out of its amazing speed tier. Power-Up Punch can be considered over Ice Punch to help break Hippowdon which is annoying for you to deal with.

Analytic Starmie > Bulky Starmie because this is Hyper Offense and fat Starmie is a complete momentum killer. Analytic LO keeps up offensive pressure to keep your opponent on the ropes.

Stallbreaker Heatran to, surprise, help with stall. Also helps with M-Manectric which is a massive threat to you, and a counter to M-Venusaur.

With Heatran you don't need Psychic on Thundurus anymore, so Focus Blast > Psychic is to hit SpDef Heatran, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn. You can consider Grass Knot > HP Ice to kick Hippowdon's ass since it's annoying as hell, but HP Ice is always solid and more consistent. I took the 4 extra EVs from HP and put them into Defense since even HP numbers make you take more hazard damage.

96 Speed on Garchomp is to outspeed base 70s, and Fire Blast > Toxic is for SD Scizor which threatens you quite a bit.

And lastly, Superpower > Brick Break on CB Scizor because Brick Break misses out out multiple OHKOs and 2HKOs that Superpower gets, and U-Turn > Bug Bite to be able to hit hard and pivot around. Bug Bite should only be used on SD variants of Scizor which try to stay in and sweep. CB Scizor is a hard hitting offensive pivot, so U-Turn is the better move on it.

The changes in bold though so they're easy to distinguish, and you can still paste them into Showdown without a problem.

Hope i was able to help!

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aside from the above changes (idk if you should make all of them but w/e), you seem to be lacking a way to break hippowdon outside of starmie, which is a huge issue if that dies early. That's because it pretty much walls the rest of the team to hell and back. To remedy this, a simple change of nasty plot > thunder wave on Thundurus. This enables you to beat hippo 1v1 as a +2 hp ice does like 80%, which is enough to make it useless against the rest of your team. This also let's you break through things like mega venu easier if you run psychic, or ferrothorn if you run focus blast. I personally recommend nasty plot / thunderbolt / hp ice / psychic | focus blast as it enables you to break through most things that give you trouble.

Anything else I would change can be found above in one of the other posts.

Thundy set:

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- nasty plot
- thunderbolt
- hidden power ice

Gl and hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)