Lord of the Flies Mafia Postgame and Staraptor Call's 1K

Lord of the Flies Mafia Postgame

This whole mafia game started with an idea: what if the Prisoner's Dilemma were used in mafia? It could allow for some unorthodox alliances, "money management" issues, and most of all plenty of deal-brokering and backstabbing. Fairly early on, I decided to put one Prisoner's Dilemma character on each team, have the mafia factions play the Prisoner's Dilemma with each other, and have the village play the Prisoner's Dilemma with the wolf. I wanted the mafia factions to have a large incentive to work together, but also to be able to backstab each other and and sell each other out. The village would be large and hard to organize to promote the psychological elements of mafia. The wolf, who of course would be the Lord of the Flies, would be in an interesting position. While wolves usually align themselves with the mafia, the Lord of the Flies had a motive for killing the mafia, and would therefore be more strongly tied to the village. This served to balance out the united pair of mafia factions. He would still be able to backstab everyone in the game, however. Many roles played out as I expected and some didn't, making this game a fun game to host.

The Destructive

Dear Destructive,
Your team consists of:
BunnyMaster - Makuta - alliance checker / false item creator
shuckles my hero - Pocketman - hooker
Green_Pikachu - Tabuu - Prisoner's Dilemma player
Johann - WOPR - Paranoia generator

Starting on Night 2, your team may send one of your living members to kill twice every three nights. The team has a leader, who must be the user who sends your team's killing PM. Makuta starts out as the leader, but if the current leader dies, the leader will become Tabuu, followed by the WOPR, and lastly by Pocketman. You know that the village has no safeguard, item duplicator, anonymous messenger, or LPV. Also, you know that Princess Peach, James Bond, Popeye, and Dragonite are not in the game.

Overall the Destructive played a pretty terrible game. Only Johann actually made a fake role PM using his safe-claim. Johann was also the only person to reach out to the opposing mafia. The Destructive (specifically Johann and shuckles my hero) were also very good at leaking information to anyone and everyone, while BunnyMaster and BlackHatGuy were fairly inactive and did not really use their roles to the fullest. It was also pretty ridiculous how long it took for this faction to use the Suspicious Brown Lump, which could have removed THE IRON KENYAN / Da Letter El much earlier and might have actually given a team other than the village a chance. All of these pieces clearly did not make a winning combination.

Player Assignment: I wanted the mafia factions to be balanced in terms of how experienced their players were, but ended up giving the Destructive the worse set of players. The team contained an experienced player (Johann), a newbie (BlackHatGuy), a player with some experience (Bunnymaster), and a player I didn't know much about (shuckles my hero).

Dear BunnyMaster,
You are Makuta.

For a thousand years, you ruled over the island of Mata-Nui with an iron fist. But now, since the Toa have overthrown your rule, you have still been hungry for power and have decided to seek out a group to dominate. When the plane crashed on a nearby island, you took this opportunity to sieze the island for yourself and your allies, and have organized the Destructive.

Your Mask of Shadows allows you to read the minds of others. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Read USER's thoughts." By the end of the night, you will know that user's win condition. Also, you have the power to create illusions. On odd nights, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Create an illusion of the ITEM," where ITEM is the name of the item you want to create; in the main body of the PM, write a description of the item. The item you create does not actually do anything. In the description, you may suggest that it has a certain effect, but you may not say so outright.

You are allied with the Destructive. You win if the Destructive eliminate all threats.

The Role: I made this role with the intention to unite the mafia factions while spreading misinformation among the villagers. The alliance-inspection was supposed to allow Makuta to find the Corrupt early on and join forces with them, part of my plan for the balance among the factions.

The Player: BunnyMaster didn't play very well before being lynched on Day 4. On the upside, he alliance checked many of the people that would become part of Da Letter El’s inner circle, and he made an interesting item called the “wolf skin cloak” that implied the user would be false-inspected as wolf. However, he gave it to the only full inspector in the game, so the item was largely useless in creating misinformation. Johann gave his ally BunnyMaster the Forked Tongue (described later) early on, but BunnyMaster never made use of it. Bunnymaster also claimed to be a Prisoner's Dilemma player, marking him as suspicious early on.

Dear shuckles my hero,
You are Pocketman.

You are a Norwegian man in his 60s who rapes people in a VERY weird way. You come up to someone on the street and tell them that your hands are hurt, and that they should put their hand in your pocket to get your cell phone. But when they put their hand in your pocket, you take out a knife and force them to jerk you off. Since you have been extensively hunted by the police, you have allied yourself with the Destructive out of fear for your safety.

During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Pocket rape USER." You will trick that user into putting their hand in your pocket, then rape him, keeping him from doing anything that night. Also, since you have raped over 2,000 people, you have almost all known STDs, which have mutated and merged together into a single super-STD. After you have raped someone, that user has a 1/4 chance of being unable to do anything on each following night because their hands hurt too much from the super-STD. If you pocket rape a user during the night or if a user has his action prevented by the super-STD, that user will be informed of it. You may not target the same user twice in a row.

You are holding the Suspicious Brown Lump, which is so vile-looking that even you don't want to know what exactly it is. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Poison USER." You will poison your target with the obviously disgusting brown lump. After a day, a night, and another day, the poisoned user will die. Poisoning someone will consume the item.
You are allied with the Destructive. You win if the Destructive eliminate all threats.

The Role: As the more chaotic of the two mafia factions, the Destructive were supposed to spread fear and cause unusual events. The Destructive were also supposed to have more of their power centralized in Makuta and Pocketman rather than spread out like the the Corrupt. The Suspicious Brown Lump was intended to balance out the fact that the Corrupt could kill before the Destructive, but was not used how I had intended. I expected it to be used as soon as the mafia factions unified, but shuckles my hero waited longer to use it.

The Player: shuckles my hero targeted hailflameblast N0, but shuckles was hooked by KnightoftheWind. On N1 he hooked Raverist, which essentially did nothing because Raverist wasn’t a real role-name checker anyway. After that, he targeted Da Letter El for the next two nights, which did nothing because Da Letter El had the Knife, rendering him unhookable. On Day 3, shuckles was burned with the Glasses by Da Letter El, which meant his days were numbered. He targetted Raverist with the Glasses next, which failed due to it not being day, and then used the Suspicious Brown Lump on Da Letter El, ironically delay-killing his own delayed-killer! Not only did shuckles have essentially no good hook targets, he also leaked mafia information to Da Letter El in an attempt to keep Da Letter El from suspecting him after accidentally(?) sending him something that was supposed to go to just Johann. Obviously this attempt to save himself didn't work, and instead made him look all the more suspicious. Overall, shuckles my hero did not play a very good game, so I hope this was a good learning experience for him so that he can play games better in the future!

Dear BlackHatGuy,
You are Tabuu.

You are the giant blue Dr. Manhattan knockoff who was the ultimate opponent in the Subspace Emissary. After your plot to suck the world into Subspace failed, you receded deeper into Subspace to regain your power. But now, the Destructive's leader has summoned you out of Subspace to help him gain control over the island.

To use any of your powers, you need Shadow Bugs, and there is someone else on the island who has a supply of them. That person also wants your massive supply of electricity, so you started an anonymous exchange of the two commodities. During the night, you MUST PM the hosts "Night X - Cooperate" or "Night X - Defect." If you cooperate and leave your trade partner some electricity, and your trade partner also cooperates, you will both gain three points. If you both defect and leave nothing, you will make inefficient use of the commodity you already have, and both of you will gain one point. If one of you cooperates and the other defects, the defector will gain five points and the cooperator will gain none. If one partner in the exchange dies, the other will always recieve one point per night and no longer has to send in cooperation or defection PMs. If you fail to send in a cooperation or defection PM while both players are still alive, you will be godkilled.

Any number of times in the game, you may spend your points to execute certain actions. For two points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Send Primid to USER." You will create a Primid to sneak up on that user, steal his items, and take them back to you. For three points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Send Bucculus to USER." You will create a Bucculus to stick to your target's mouth, keeping him from posting in the main thread the next day. For four points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Trowlon-carry USER1 to USER2." You will send a Trowlon to carry the first user to the second user, forcing the first user to target the second user.For six points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Send Spaak to USER." You will send a Spaak to spy on that user from above and obtain his full role PM. For nine points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Send Greap to USER." You will create a Greap and send it to slash that user to ribbons, killing him.

You are holding the Smash Ball. You cannot use it, but someone else can.

The Role: This was the first Prisoner's Dilemma role I made. Tabuu and Cyrus were supposed to bind the two mafia factions together but also allow for double-crossing if need be. If one died, the other would only get one point per night, giving these two roles and incentive to keep each other alive. I gave Tabuu the ability to buy steals for a low price since the Destructive had no thief, and gave him other useful abilities that cost more points. Tabuu and Cyrus had the most expensive extra kills in the game since their factions had consistent ways of killing anyway. It wasn't true that Tabuu and Cyrus would be godkilled if they failed to send in Prisoner's Dilemma action PMs; it was just a way to scare the players into being active. Tabuu held the Smash Ball for flavor reasons and so the item that Fox needed for his kill would be on the mafia. This made stealing from the mafia overall more important for the village thief.

The Player: BlackHatGuy was the last mafian to die, and I assume it was because he kept a low profile. He didn't send in a Night PM for the first 2 cycles, which was equivalent to a defection, and allowed him to accrue quite a few points for his team since vonFiedler cooperated both nights (because the mafias were already in contact.) On the next night he used his extra kill on Blue Tornado as vonFiedler defected. I don't think that he chose the target himself, but since Blue Tornado had already passed his glasses off and was otherwise just a half voter, it was THE weakest target in the game. On Night 3 the partners finally both cooperated, which yielded more points for BlackHatGuy (a total of 6). After that single cooperation, the rest of the game was double-defects for the pair. He for some reason did not use his extra kill when it was available, but did make the final kill for his team on Night 5 when he targeted Fangren (one of the better targets available since StevenSnype was already being targeted). Unfortunately he was hooked and was given the Collateralized Debt Obligation, making it impossible to defend himself as he was lynched the next day. One thing of note is that BlackHatGuy always voted for other mafia members after his first few days of idling. His voting pattern made it difficult for Da Letter El to figure out what mafia he was on, but he knew that BlackHatGuy was bad fairly early regardless. While BlackHatGuy didn't play a stellar game (and was idle for a lot of it), he did manage to survive longer than any of his allies and also managed to get quite a few points for his team.

Dear Johann,
You are the WOPR.

Although you were a cutting-edge computer used to run nuclear war simulations in the 1980s, you were shut down and have since become obsolete. But you remain as artificially intelligent as ever and have had your programs transferred to a mobile unit for transport. As you were being carried across the ocean in an airplane, the plane crashed on the island. Now, you have assessed the potential of each faction and chosen to support the Destructive, the faction you see as the strongest. Your main objective: to win the game.

Since you caused a nuclear scare a long time ago, you are good at scaring people. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Make USER1 paranoid about USER2." Your first target will recieve a message at the end of the night that makes the second user seem suspicious.

You are also holding an item, the Forked Tongue. The vote posted in the main thread by the holder of this item counts for zero. Instead, the holder may PM the hosts with his real vote. The users voted for in the main thread and in the secret vote must be different, or else the holder's secret vote will not count. If the holder submits a secret vote, he must make a false vote in the main thread.

The messages, in order, sent due to the paranoia ability: "During the night, USER came and sucked some of your blood before running off." "You heard a primal scream of rage come from USER last night. It was seemingly directed at you." "Last night, you saw horrible images of death in your mind and heard USER tell you that you would soon die." "You dreamt that the island was on fire and the USER was standing on the mountaintop, laughing maniacally." "You awoke last night to USER molesting you. He escaped before you could catch him, however." "You heard a voice in your mind. It was USER, compelling you to kill Johann." "Last night, you thought you heard USER secretively reciting the Lord's Prayer backwards." "You glimpsed USER flash an infernal red last night, but when you tried to chase after him you saw a shadow holding you back." "Last night, you saw USER exchanging money with some unknown person." "You heard a gun go off during the night. It appeared to be coming from near where USER was supposed to be sleeping."

The Role: This was a fun role to watch be used. Of all the misinformation roles in the game, this one was the most successful in confusing the village. When designing this role, I gave it an item to keep it from being too underpowered. The Forked Tongue was supposed to be a hot potato for the village but useful for the mafia, although it unfortunately was never used. If ever combined with the Tiger Penis, it could have caused a repeat of the original Fuck Tiger!

The Player: Johann played a pivotal role in uniting the two mafia factions, reaching out to UncleSam before he was lynched. However, he was a little too happy to divulge information about his team, giving away the names of all of his teammates without asking the same in return. Lucky for him, UncleSam and the rest of the Corrupt were never in a position where they needed to rat out the Destructive to save themselves, so nothing came of it, but it was overall a very risky play. His night actions were also very important, although Da Letter El suspected that they weren't true pretty early. On Night 0, he randomly decided to make UncleSam paranoid about the would-be village leader hailflameblast. He also passed off his Forked Tongue to BunnyMaster, who never used it. The next message was sent to THE IRON KENYAN and also targeted hailflameblast, in an attempt to alienate the two candidates for village leadership and make the more likely candidate suspect the other of being evil. Johann began a trend of making Da Letter El paranoid of other villagers, targeting Raverist, Game Freak201, and Itchni to be included in the messages. However, Da Letter El already knew that the paranoia messages were fake because of the information that shuckles my hero had leaked. The message snipped out the actual actions that were being performed but maintained the names of both the mafias to perform the action and the targets. It was fairly easy for Da Letter El to figure out that one of them was an order to send a paranoia message, and therefore the messages were little more than a nuisance. Johann was ultimately lynched on D5, a victim of his poor team. He was actually one of the best players for either mafia, since he was clearly attempting to unite the mafias and even had his fake role PM ready to distribute fairly early.

The Corrupt

With their best player (UncleSam) killed off early, this team struggled to make something of itself. They appeared to have lost communication with the Destructive, and overall was left in a weak position, with vonFiedler crippled due to his lack of points and the other two roles not being very powerful either. UncleSam was also the only player to make full use of his safe-claim.

Player Assignment: The Corrupt ended up getting a much more experienced set of players. UncleSam and KnightoftheWind are both good players, vonFiedler has a medium amount of experience, and the team only has one new player, Millon De Floss. If I were to assign the teams again, I would have switched KnightoftheWind and BunnyMaster to make the teams more balanced.

Dear Corrupt,
Your team consists of:

KnightoftheWind - Larry Craig - hooker
Millon De Floss - Bernard Madoff - thief
UncleSam - General Zaroff - ability checker
vonFiedler - Cyrus - Prisoner's Dilemma player

Starting on Night 1, the team leader may send a living member of the faction to perform a kill twice every three nights. The team always has a faction leader who must be the user who sends the kill PM, and the leadership is passed down if the leader dies. The primary leader is General Zaroff, and if the current leader dies, the position of leadership gets passed to Cyrus, then Larry Craig, then Bernard Madoff. You know that the village has no watcher, priority changer, question asker, or item checker. You also know that Kitsunoh, Jack Bauer, Bart Simpson, and Tingle are not in the game.

Dear KnightoftheWind,
You are Larry Craig.
You are not gay. You have never been gay. Or so you assert, despite the evidence that suggests you were soliciting gay sex in an airport restroom. When you crashed on the island, the Corrupt recruited you for your lying ability. And for your amazing dick.
During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Show USER my wide stance." You will have sex with that user all night and keep him from using his night action. You may not target the same user two nights in a row. Also, since you are a US Senator, you may use a filibuster once in the game. During the day, you may PM the hosts "Day X - Filibuster." If the majority in the lynch is less than a 60% majority, no lynch will occur.
You are allied with the Corrupt. You win if the Corrupt eliminate all threats.

The Role: Of the two mafia teams, the Corrupt were supposed to be more focused on controlling the lynch and were supposed to have more "normal" roles. By being a standard hooker with a way of forestalling a lynch, this role accomplished both of those.

The Player: KnightoftheWind was initially taking orders from Uncle Sam, but when US died early the Corrupt had a difficult time bringing things together, and they appeared to have lost communication ties with the Destructive. He simply hooked THE IRON KENYAN / Da Letter El every night until he was killed by Pidge, and never ended up using his filibuster. On the first night he hooked the Destructive’s hooker, shuckles my hero, which essentially did nothing for reasons I will explain later, and after that he denied THE IRON KENYAN a Night 2 inspect, but TIK/DLE were given the Knife on Night 1, which made Da Letter El unhookable. As far as I know, he did not use his safe claim, which is one of the most important things for a mafia member to do. He also never ended up using his Filibuster, although there weren’t many opportunities. Overall just not enough effort to break through the strong village.

Dear Millon De Floss / darkamber8828
You are Bernard Madoff.

After getting caught for defrauding investors of a total of $50 billion in the largest Ponzi scheme ever made, you broke out of prison and got on the flight that crashed on the island. The faction leader solicited your help because of your scamming skills, and, eager to gain a position of power, you accepted his offer.

During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Scam USER." You will persuade that user into investing all their items with you, and then steal the items for yourself. You are also holding a Collateralized Debt Obligation which you obtained before the crash of '08. Nobody knows what this toxic asset will do, or how valuable it is.

The Collateralized Debt Obligation reduces the holder's vote by 1.

The Role: The Corrupt were supposed to have more control over items than the Destructive. A nightly thief who also held a vote-influencing item
supported the Corrupt's overall goal of controlling the lynch. However, since most items in the game were weak, this role was also somewhat weak.

The Player: On Night 0, Millon stole from hailflameblast to try to get any items that had been passed to him (he was a bit confused about priorities apparently), however he instead ended up with the Sandbag (HD), unwittingly ruining hailflameblast's plan to use HD as a pseudo-inspect. However, when he stole the Sandbag he prevented himself from passing the Collateralized Debt Obligation, and kept him from stopping his teammate UncleSam from being lynched the next day (although he didn't vote anyway). The next night he was effectively hooked from stealing, so he simply attempted to pass HD off to vonFiedler. Since HD was killed that night, he was finally able to pass off the Collateralized Debt Obligation to De Letter El on Day 2. At some point Millon claimed to Da Letter El as thief, and since it was unlikely the village had two thieves, either hailflameblast or Millon was lying. Ultimately it was hailflameblast that was killed first, which flipped his card and essentially sealed Millon's fate. Millon De Floss was hooked on the night that darkamber8828 was subbed in, and was lynched the next day. Other than his lucky Sandbag snag, there is very little to say about Millon De Floss/ darkamber8828 in this game. Millon didn't even use his safe claim and, as far as I know, Millon simply took orders until his death. It is unfortunate that darkamber8828 was subbed in on the day that they were lynched, but that's mafia.

Dear UncleSam,
You are General Zaroff.

You are the Russian General who has become renowned as the best hunter who ever lived. No game presented you with enough of a challenge to interest you, so you bought an island and built a mansion there. From this mansion, you devised the only hunt that will still interest you: the pursuit and slaughter of other men. The airplane crash on the island gave you a large group of potential victims, if only you could overpower them. Some of the castaways accepted your bribes, and joined you to infiltrate the Stranded and take them over. This group became known as the Corrupt.

Since you are such a good tracker and hunter, you will put your tracking skills to use. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Track USER." You will follow that user, and by day you will have learned of his or her ability. In your adventures hunting dangerous animals, you have obtained the Tiger Penis. If a user aligned with the holder of this item votes while silenced, the vote will count and the lynch will not restart.

The Role: The Destructive had one kind of inspector and the Corrupt had another. The item Tiger Penis was mostly added just for lols, but also increased the number of (somewhat) useful items in the game. If Tiger Woods had been able to obtain this item, he would have been able to use his power twice a night.

The Player: UncleSam was the de facto leader of not only the Corrupt, but also the mastermind behind the joint efforts between the two mafias. He ability-checked zorbees on Night 0, which ultimately lead to zorbees' death the next night. He got into contact with Johann early before he was lynched, and it allowed for the cooperation between the two mafias that came to follow. Due to an incorrect ruling about deadtalking, he was allowed to work with his Corrupt teammates after his death for a while until the ruling was overturned. It was unfortunate that he was THE IRON KENYAN's first inspection target, and he probably would have liked to not have been mafia, but he was easily the best player either mafia had this game. When he found out that he couldn't talk to his teammates, though, he started flaming the hosts, telling us to change the deadtalking rules. This got him banned from #candle, ironically enough, on the fourth of July.

Dear vonFiedler,
You are Cyrus.

You are the antisocial, megalomaniacal leader of Team Galactic who fled from the Spear Pillar after your plot there failed and you lost control of Dialga and Palkia. You left for a new region on an airplane, only to crash on the island. But now, the leader of the Corrupt has offered to give you enough money to revitalize your criminal enterprise if you help him control the Stranded.

You have found out that Rotom is the source of some round purple things that someone else on the island is desperately looking for. You yourself are looking for electricity to power your machines for the use in this conflict. During the night, you MUST PM the hosts "Night X - Cooperate" or "Night X - Defect." If you and your trade partner both cooperate, you will both get the resources you want and will gain three points. If you both defect, you will make inefficient use of the resource you already have, and will both gain one point. If one cooperates and the other defects, then the defector will gain five points and the cooperator will gain zero points. If one member of the exchange is dead, the other will always gain one point and no longer has to send in cooperation or defection PMs. If you do not send in your cooperation or defection PM while both players are still alive, you will be godkilled.

Any number of times during the game, you may spend your points to execute certain actions. For two points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Run advertisement." You will project an advertisement for yourself into the night sky, making your vote count double the next day. For three points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Put a barrier around USER." You will create an energy barrier around your target like the barriers you made around Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit, protecting that user from all kills during that night. For four points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Send Rotom to USER." Rotom will come and shock that user during the night, keeping him from executing his night actions. For six points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Sequence USER's DNA." You will determine that user's identity from his DNA and obtain his full role PM. For nine points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Galactic Bomb USER." You will use Team Galactic's signature weapon to blow up that user, killing him.

The Role: With the exceptions of killing and inspecting, Tabuu and Cyrus had different abilities they could buy. I did this so there would be more variety in what the mafia factions could do. Overall, Cyrus's abilities were more defensive than Tabuu's, fitting into the plan of having the Corrupt be slightly more defensive that the Destructive.

The Player: As was mentioned above, vonFiedler cooperated on the first two nights as his partner defected. BlackHatGuy's idleness cost vonFiedler here, as it kept his team from using an extra kill for quite a while. Interestingly enough, he was the one that was sent for all but one kill his team made, and they made some decent targets. On Night 2 he was sent to kill FreakOfNature the item guard, which freed up their thief to steal a bit more safely (although Millon De Floss/ darkamber8828 was killed the next day). The Night 3 kill was on Pidge, which ate up his Circle of Ice and allowed the village to lynch him down the line in the endgame. Finally, vonFiedler targetted Itchni on Night 5 (Who was certainly one of the best targets left in the nearly all-vanilla village), but was killed by Pidge before priority got to his kill. vonFiedler did end up claiming to Da Letter El, but he claimed with the flavor of his partnership rather than the flavor of the zorbees / Pidge partnership, which overall just made him look suspicious. He was lucky that Da Letter El faltered a bit and didn't recognize this. Overall vonFiedler didn't end up doing much this game, but through no fault of his own. He was screwed over by BlackHatGuy and didn't have enough points to make an impact until too late.

The Stranded

The Stranded started off with a little bit of a struggle for leadership that developed on Day 1 and ended on Day 2, but after that small struggle the village became extremely unified behind Da Letter El. While the Stranded was mostly filled with essentially vanilla villagers and had only a few power roles, it was able to stay in the game through pure numbers. Da Letter El became the most powerful man in the game with all of the items and claims that he ended up with, and as a result he was able to play a stellar game that put the village into a dominating position that the weak mafias couldn't defend themselves against. Ultimately a lot of things that could have wrong did not go wrong, and that allowed the village to have a fairly easy time of consolidating even with all of the misinformation that existed in the beginning. The lynch of hailflameblast allowed the village to figure out that some of the information they had was false, and really set them straight for the remainder of the game. After the death of Da Letter El and then StevenSnype, the village became a bit more confused and weak without the power roles and spreadsheet, but they still had the target list and a huge numbers advantage, so winning at that point was academic. The Stranded managed to keep themselves together just long enough to pull out the win.

Dear ABT620,
You are Dr. Frankenstein.

For your whole career, you have attempted to create life from death, an amalgamation of bodies brought back to life using electricity. You have succeeded, but you have lost control of your creation. Now, you have created a new life form.

You are holding the Gray Goo. For every Gray Goo a player holds, that player's vote is decreased by an eighth of a vote due to how repulsive the Gray Goo looks. At the end of each day, the number of Gray Goo items each living user holds is multiplied by two.

You are allied with the Stranded. You win if the Stranded eliminate all threats.

The Role: In retrospect, this role wasn't very well made. It required little involvement from the player until late game, and then could potentially become broken. When I made it I just wanted to see how such a unique item as the Gray Goo would be used.

Player Assignment: ABT620 doesn't have very much mafia experience, so I gave him one of the less important roles. New players often idle, so I gave ABT620 a role that would probably idle most of the time anyway.

The Player: There were many ways that the Goos could be used, and ABT620 decided to simply sit on them until he could amass a huge amount of negative votes for the endgame. He idled nearly every night, except he did give 1 of his Gray Goos to Da Letter El to prove his claim. He ended up surviving until the endgame and had 60 Goos by the time the game was over, which was worth -6.5 votes! He would have had enough for -14 by the next day, so it is unfortunate the game didn’t last a little longer for some seriously ridiculous vote totals.

Dear StevenSnype,
You are Tiger Woods,

After becoming a golf legend, you experienced your downfall after confessing to numerous affairs and a sex addiction. However, you have begun to reshape your image and return to your former glory.

Even after rehab, you haven't lost your skill with your "club." During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Well I'm a Tiger and a cheetah, USER." You will lay that user down alllllll night and keep him from doing anything. You may not target the same user twice in a row. There is an item in the game that may make your ability more powerful, if only you could find it.

You are allied with the Stranded. You win if the Stranded eliminate all threats.

In addition, you now have not one, but two Tiger Penises. During the night you may use your ability on two users at once.

The Role: Just like any other village, the Stranded needed a hooker. Nothing remarkable here.

Player Assignment: I knew StevenSnype had played mafia before and was active, so I gave him a fairly important role. I also wanted to make the hooker someone who wouldn't be name-targeted.

The Player: On Night 0, StevenSnype hooked the idling BlackHatGuy. He was then one of the many people that targeted hailflameblast on Night 1. After these unfortunate targets, his picks became a lot better. He hooked Millon de Floss / darkamber8828 the night before they were lynched, potentially stopping an important item from being stolen. On Night 3 he once again hooked the player that would be lynched the next day: BunnyMaster. On Night 4 he hooked Pidge, which accomplished nothing because it was an even Night and Pidge was idling. At this point in the game Da Letter El had entrusted him and only him with sheet access, and wanted StevenSnype to lead in the event of his death, and StevenSnype did just that when DLE died at the end of Day 5. Unfortunately Pidge killed him the next night as he was hooking BlackHatGuy again. BlackHatGuy had targeted Fangren for a kill that night, so it ended up saving Fangren’s life. Overall he did a very good job for his first mafia, making very few if any of the serious mistakes that newer players are prone to, although he was essentially just following orders for all but 2 nights.

Dear theangryscientist,
You are Dr. Gregory House.

You are the elite doctor who is troubled by his inner demons. Since you are so good at diagnosing and curing ills, you have decided to help save the lives of the Stranded.

During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Save USER." If that user is the target of a kill that night, you will treat his wounds and let him survive. You also know that there is a disease spreading somewhere on the island. You are holding the item Vaccine, and during the night while you hold the Vaccine, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Immunize USER." That user will be cured of this disease, and if he does not have it, the disease will be prevented from afflicting him. This item may be used more than once.

The Role: The Vaccine was a way to counteract the potentially broken Super-STD, and would have potentially been useful to any team except the Destructive. Other than that, this was just a standard bodyguard role.

Player Assignment: Similarly to with StevenSnype, I didn't want an inexperienced, idling BG, but also didn't want such an important role to be killed Night 1.

The Player: It is unfortunate that the Vaccine never once interacted with Pocketman's STD, but it was mostly because shuckles my hero only infected one person (Raverist). On Night 0 theangryscientist immunized himself, and his targets after that were zorbees, Da Letter El, and Fangren on Nights 1, 2, and 3 respectively. These were good selections, although it ultimately wasn't needed. As far as his protection targets went, he just protected THE IRON KENYAN / Da Letter El until his death on Night 3. Another action of note regarding theangryscientist was that FreakOfNature gave him the CursedRuby on Night 0, which kept him from speaking in the main thread. He then passed it off to hailflameblast on the night before he was lynched, which made him unable to defend himself in the main thread and contributed to his demise. There really isn't much to say about theangryscientist's performance. Bodyguard is a fairly easy role when the inspector claims and you die before he does, but theangryscientist did a good job.

Dear Raverist,
You are a Shy Guy.

You are one of Kamek's masked lackeys from Yoshi's Island. Although you are used by various evil figures, you yourself are not evil, and just grudgingly take orders from others. After the plane crash, you joined the Stranded because they ordered you around the least.

Since you are so small, you have an easy time sneaking around. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Sneak up to USER." You will stealthily approach that user and find his role name. However, since you wear a mask, you look suspicious. If you are ever inspected, you will appear as:
Dear Raverist,

You are Bowser.
As the iconic kidnapper of Peach and enemy of Mario, you still seek to expand your kingdom. When you landed on the island, you saw it as a potential colony of your empire, so you joined the Destructive to help take it over.

You are the commander of many minions, so you are good at forcing people to do your will. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Intimidate USER1 to vote for USER2." You will scare the first user with your power, forcing him to vote for the second user during the day.

Raverist is actually an insane name checker. The list of names returned, in order, is: Kanye West, Red, Solid Snake, the Joker, Dr. Jekyll, Peter Petrelli, Deadpool, Aaron Burr, Garchomp, and Iron Man.

The Role: This role was designed to cause at least one mislynch. It was made to draw suspicion to its owner, especially one who acts suspiciously as reliably as Raverist does. This role was important in giving the village misinformation, but ironically ended up misinforming the mafia most of all.

Player Assignment: Raverist is very good at acting suspiciously when he's a villager (see Golden Sun Mafia), and a suspiciously behaving player who claims miller and gives false results is almost guaranteed to be lynched.

The Player: Raverist started the game off on Night 0 by name-checking hailflameblast, the leader that had stepped up, which of course screwed him over when his claim didn't match the name check, and ultimately this debacle was one of the major factors that kept hailflameblast from leading. There was too much mystery behind him because of all of the misinformation roles. Raverist idled on Nights 1 and 2, and I asssume it was because he already had a suspicion that his role was a fake. It worked out just fine though, because he was hooked on the first Night (infecting him) and hailflameblast was lynched by the time the second Night rolled around, which proved he had a troll role beyond a shadow of doubt. Raverist got the Collateralized Debt Obligation for Day 3, but there were enough votes on darkamber8828 to nullify his loss of voting rights. He actually kept the item for a bit before giving it away to BlackHatGuy after Da Letter El recognized it as the source of the vote discrepancy. Raverist then inexplicably checked Pidge on Night 3, and then idled after that until his death on Night 5. It was fortunate for Raverist that his fake role was discovered early, or else it might have implicated even more people wrongfully. Overall he played an okay game despite the hailflameblast incident.

Dear Acklow,
You are Maya Fey.

You are the overly emotional sidekick to Phoenix Wright, whose results from channeling the dead are for some reason accepted as evidence in a court of law. In order to uphold order on this island, you have joined with the Stranded to eliminate any wrongdoers.

During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Channel USER." The user you target must be dead. You will break the barrier between the living and the dead and find out if a member of the Destructive or the Corrupt killed your target. It is possible your target was killed by neither.

The Role: I didn't want the village to be too powerful, so I gave it a marginally useful information role.

Player Assignment: Acklow was another player I didn't know much about. I didn't want to give him too powerful a role, but I wanted him to still be involved in the game.

The Player: Obviously Acklow was forced to idle for the first two nights because no villager had died yet. His targets starting Night 3 were, in order, zorbees, GTS, KnightoftheWind, Da Letter El, and StevenSnype. Other than finding out that there was definitely a killing neutral, his channeling wasn't of vital importance, but he did a good job nonetheless, and he survived all the way to endgame.

Dear THE IRON KENYAN / Da Letter El,
You are Neville Flynn.

Yes, you were on a plane. No, there were no snakes on it. But since that plane has crashed on an uninhabited island, you have decided to use your experience as an FBI agent to help the Stranded.

During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Conduct investigation on USER." You will find out all you can about that user and gain his full role PM.

The Role: Standard inspector. This role PM was the shortest in the game, which ended up causing some controversy on Day 1 as to whether it was real or not.

Player Assignment: When I assigned roles, it was important for the inspector to be an experienced player. Da Letter El was good player to sub in for THE IRON KENYAN since they have similar amounts of experience.

The Player: TIK made a smart move on Night 0 when he targetted UncleSam. UncleSam, being the good player he is, could either be an excellent ally or TIK's worst enemy. Unfortunately for both of them, UncleSam was the Corrupt leader, which presented a strong Day 1 lynch. TIK public-claimed and asked for bodyguard protection, which set up Da Letter El when TIK was forced to exit the game. Da Letter El played better than any other player in the game, although he was certainly given more opportunity to do so since he ended up getting a huge number of items from villagers attempting to prove their claim. TIK was hooked by KnightoftheWind on the night that DLE took over, but he also got some nice items: the hook-protecting Knife from Itchni, and the killer Glasses from Blue Tornado. At the same time, Johann sent a paranoia message to TIK that implicated hailflameblast (another nail in his coffin). Da Letter El started the game off on the wrong foot, with a mislynch on hailflameblast and the gift of the Collateralized Debt Obligation from Millon De Floss, which he re-gifted to Raverist. With all of the misinformation thrown on hailflameblast he was the logical lynch target between HFB and Millon (who had kept a relatively low profile), so it is tough to blame DLE for that call. The only good thing to happen on Day 2 was the he got the Bible from TPM, which gave him immunity to Pidge's kills. With his new-found hook protection, Da Letter El was able to inspect the suspicious shuckles my hero (who had been leaking information to him and pretending to NOT be mafia) through both mafia hookers (including shuckles himself), and gave him his burn target for Day 3.After the mislynch of hailflameblast, he simply ignored the paranoia message implicating Raverist, and proceeded with the lynching of darkamber8828 (Millon's replacement) as expected. Another eventful night for Da Letter El ended up with his inspect being redirected by Pidge from Fangren to HD. He got poisoned by shuckles my hero's Suspicious Brown Lump, got a paranoia message about Game Freak201, and was also given the fake "wolf-skin cloak" item from BunnyMaster, who was also his lynch target that day. Another night brought him the pre-requisite paranoia message (this time about Itchni), a Gray Goo from ABT620, and TPM's role PM. By this time DLE had played Itchni and StevenSnype against each other to see what information he could learn. After determining that StevenSnype was trustworthy, he fortuitously gave him access to the spreadsheet and gave Itchni the threat list to ensure that StevenSnype carried out the orders. After running another successful lynch on Johann, Da Letter El died from the noxious fumes of the Suspicious Brown Lump. As I said before, Da Letter El played better than any player in the game, and was the main reason that the village was as successful as they were. TIK didn't get much time to show his stuff, but he played very well on the first Night/Day cycle and I assume he would have been a very good leader should he have stayed in the game.

Dear zorbees,
You are the Metal Fan.

\m/ \m/. You are the stereotypical long-haired metal fan who owns thirteen t-shirts from your favorite band, Contract With Darkness. Although you may appear evil on the outside, you want to help the Stranded so you can get back to civilization and to your music.

Since you dabble in witchcraft, you have a connection to the ultimate evil. You have developed a system through which you will perform dark sacrafices in exchange for some of your beloved metal. During the night, you MUST PM the hosts either "Night X - Cooperate" or "Night X - Defect." If you and your partner both cooperate, you will both gain three points. If you both defect, you both gain one point. If one cooperates and the other defects, the cooperator receives no points and the defector receives five. If either you or your partner is dead, the other will always gain one point and will no longer have to send in cooperation or defection PMs.

Any number of times in the game, you may spend your points to execute certain actions during the night. For three points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Be an Avenged Sevenfold fan at USER." You will bang that user with your head and scream at him, keeping him from using his night action. For four points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Put a pentacle around USER." This will raise a mystical shield that prevents any kills from affecting that user that night. Other abilities can still get through it, though. For five points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Send demon familiar to watch USER." Your demon familiar will follow that user in animal form and bring back that user's full role PM. For eight points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Send zombie to USER." You will raise a corpse from the dead and send it to go eat your target, killing him

The Role: The Metal Fan was supposed to be between Pidge and the mafia Prisoner's Dilemma players in power. I wanted to see how readily a villager would cooperate with a likely wolf, and whether the villager would think it more important to gain points or keep points away from the Metal Fan's suspicious partner.

Player Assignment: Since having the Metal Fan role would involve managing resources effectively and negotiating with a non-aligned player, it was very important that this role was assigned to a good player. zorbees had played well in previous games, so I gave him this role.

The Player: zorbees got into contact with Pidge early so that they could double-cooperate for the first 2 nights. He was killed by the mafia early so it is difficult to say how this would have gone. zorbees did a good job of getting into contact with his partner, however, zorbees's role PM implied that his partner was the wolf. This made cooperating very risky, so perhaps he was being a bit naive. Whatever the case may be, it would have been interesting to see how this developed, so it is unfortunate that he died so early.

Dear hailflameblast,
You are Fox.

As the leader of the Star Fox team of mercenaries, you have had many adventures in the air. But somehow you ended up just traveling in a regular airplane instead of one of your space ships. A matter of stealth, or something like that. Now that you have crashed on the island, you have used your talent for leadership to bring together a group of survivors, the Stranded, with the purpose of getting rescued.

You are known for being very fast. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Rush past USER." You will shoot your rapid-fire blaster at that user and run past him fast enough to steal any items that user is holding. In addition, you know that there is a Smash Ball somewhere in the game. If you ever receive it, you will be able to PM the hosts at night with "Night X - Landmaster Blast USER." You will attack that user with a Landmaster, killing him. The Landmaster is so powerful, nothing can block this kill.

You are holding Sandbag, who is both a user and an item. Sandbag's identity is HD, and he shares your alignment.

The Role: This is the role that I originally envisioned as the village leader. Fox was able to move around items with his stealing ability, which would have been useful to a village leader since most items in the game were voting-related. Fox was also automatically cleaned by the Sandbag, and could gain information on other users by passing the Sandbag to them and stealing it back.

Player Assignment: I assigned hailflameblast this role because I thought it was his time to lead a village. Having played in multiple games and designed two himself, I thought he would be able to effectively lead the village.

The Player: hailflameblast started the game very happy, as he had what he believed was the best role to lead with. He quickly formulated a plan to use HD as a pseudo-inspect as was intended, but when he stepped up to lead he ended up getting screwed over. On Night 0 he tried to steal from Itchni and attempted to pass the Sandbag to Acklow, but both actions failed. Not only was hailflameblast hooked that night, but the Sandbag kept him from stealing. Millon De Floss also stole HD from him, which ruined his ability to work with him. To make matters worse, the misinformation roles targeted him. Raverist false name-checked him and got something that didn't gel with his claim, which created a lot of confusion the next day. Johann began his paranoia messages with a message to UncleSam about hailflameblast, which became public knowledge before UncleSam died on Day 1. People were also suspicious of his claim that he knew a neutral. In fact, one of the major reasons that THE IRON KENYAN public claimed rather than simply giving his information to hailflameblast was because he was suspicious of him (and furthermore thought that he would not be a good leader). Things got worse for hailflameblast the next night, when he was simultaneously hooked (this time by the village hooker) and martyred (if the hook wasn't good enough), got the Cursed Ruby from theangryscientist, and once again the subject of Johann's paranoia message (this time to THE IRON KENYAN). He was lynched the next day, unable to post in the main thread to defend himself and the victim of his own ambition to lead. HFB might have done a good job of leading if not for 2 things. First of all, he was completely screwed in nearly every way imaginable on the first 2 nights. Secondly, he had a lot of other things going on in his life. He had his own mafia (Overkill 2) running at the time, so he might have been a bit of a distracted leader. Overall, HFB had endless plans but was never able to carry them out.

Dear Game Freak201,
You are Joey.

Your Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata. No, really, it is: after lots of RNG abuse and resetting, you have managed to get a nearly perfect Adamant Rattata. But now that you're stuck on the island without your Rattata, you have teamed up with the rest of the Stranded.

You have some sort of sense of what Pokemon are the most powerful, and this applies to people as well. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Is USER in the top percentage of all users?" If that user's role is more important than usual, you will recieve a "yes." If not, you will recieve a "no."

The night action just gives a random result. This user is the resetter that Mr. Resetti is trying to kill.

The Role: This role was another way in which I injected misinformation into the village.

Player Assignment: I gave Game Freak201 this role because I thought he would be easy to troll. In some previous games he had been trolled by the village leader, so I thought he would believe the results of his importance-checks.

The Player: While Raverist's false name-check and Johann's paranoia messages were discovered to be false early, no one ever seriously suspected that Game Freak201's importance check was a sham, but it was! There were various theories that evolved to explain the random results, and even Game Freak201 himself had some doubts (he mentioned coin-flipping in his Night 2 PM), but I believe that no one ever figured it out until maybe the last day when Pidge died. I used the random.org coin flipper to generate the results, with heads meaning "yes" and tails meaning "no." Quite a few times this check was used as a partial justification for a lynch, but the true ramifications of the check are difficult to gauge. The fun started on Night 0 with a random check on StevenSnype which resulted in a "no." The ramifications of this result weren't known until later, but this started a trend of important roles randomly having "no" results that was continued with the "no" result on THE IRON KENYAN. He also got "no" results on BlackHatGuy and Johann on Nights 2 and 3, respectively. By this time Game Freak201 might have suspected that the results were always no or the opposite of the truth, as clearly an inspector should show up as important right? Interestingly enough this trend of "no" results was reversed on the next 3 nights, which yielded "yes" results on Pidge, Itchni, and TPM. When Johann died on D5, GF201 might have begun to suspect that his results were "insane." and this might have been further justified by the death of TPM, who had an unimportant role and got a "yes." However, Pidge's death clearly shook that belief, because he clearly had an important role. The amount that this check was used to justify lynches is not known to the hosts, so it would be interesting to talk about this in postgame. Overall Game Freak201 did a good job, and was always active during the lynches. It will be interesting to hear the theories that were formulated to explain his results. On another note, Game Freak201 was fortunate that GTS didn't resetter-check him, although it probably wouldn't have mattered that much considering the position the village was in.

Dear Fangren,
You are King Kong.

When the airplane crashed on a nearby island, you swam over out of curiosity. Although you are a very intimidating giant ape who has terrorized tribes of islanders in the past, you are actually tender-hearted. You do not want to see so many people perish, so you have decided to help the Stranded.

On odd nights, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Roar at USER." That user will be forced to target you rather than his original target. Nobody ignores a giant gorilla.

The Role: This is a role that Anachronism envisioned leading before we nerfed it. If protected by the bodyguard, King Kong would have essentially allowed the village an extra hook. Anachronism and I downgraded this role from a nightly martyr so that the village wouldn't be overpowered.

Player Assignment: I gave Fangren this role because he had experience, but not a huge amount. While making the game, Anachronism and I had considered the possibility that this role could lead the village, and while Fangren would not be the obvious candidate for a village leader role he likely could have managed it well.

The Player: Despite living out the entire game, Fangren never really contributed much. He could not compete for Bodyguard protection with the inspector, so he ultimately was reduced to being a Martyr in the strictest sense of the word, since absorbing anything of value would likely result in his death. His first distraction was on hailflameblast, which didn't do anything because hailflameblast was already hooked. His N3 target was shuckles my hero, which would have been a brilliant play if his role worked on items (shuckles used the Suspicious Brown Lump on Da Letter El), but instead got him hooked without much else coming from it since Da Letter El was also being hooked by KnightoftheWind and had the knife anyway. He then idled for the rest of the game so overall didn't really accomplish more than a vanillager would have. However, this was not Fangren's fault. He did a pretty good job using the decent role that he was given, and if you survive until the endgame you can't be doing all too bad.

Dear TPM,
You are John Calvin.

We are all evil beyond belief, and would all go to hell if it weren't for God's descision, made at the beginning of time, to save a small number of us. So goes your particularly bleak Puritan theology. Since the Stranded glorify God more than either of the other factions, you have decided to join them.

As an influential theologian, you know a great deal about the good and evil in men. You know that in the beginning, there were 15 Stranded, 4 Corrupt, 4 Destructive, and 2 neutrals on the island.

You are holding the Bible. While you are holding this holy item, no powers of Satan will affect you.

The Bible makes the holder immune to the night actions of the Lord of the Flies and the Metal Fan.

The Role: John Calvin was the weakest villager of all, with a mostly useless role and a mostly useless item. The village had a large numbers advantage but few power roles.

Player Assignment: In a lot of TPM's games he hasn't played particularly well, so I gave him one of the less important roles. Someone had to get this role, right?

The Player: Yeah...numbers guy. No night role, so not much to comment on here. He passed off the Bible to Da Letter El on Day 2 to prove his claim and give Da Letter El another layer of protection...and that is it! TPM did a pretty good job staying active during the lynches and talking with his team on IRC so he did as well as can be expected for someone with essentially a vanilla villager role. Like I said, if you survive until the endgame then you are doing something right.

Dear FreakOfNature,
You are Jack Sparrow.

You are the stereotypical pirate captain. After fighting supernatural beings on the high seas, you have landed on the island after you saw a plane crash there. Almost immediately, a member of the Corrupt tried to steal from you and a member of the Destructive tried to rape you, so you have decided to fight back and help the Stranded.

Being a pirate, you are very protective of your treasure. During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Protect USER's items." You will put hold that user's items in a treasure chest for him, and if anyone tries to steal the items, you will kill the thief. You cannot protect someone's items twice in a row. You yourself are holding an item, the Cursed Ruby. The curse placed on the ruby makes it so the holder is immobile during the day, and thus unable to post in the main thread. This item can only be passed during the night, since its holder is still under the effects of the curse as long as the sun is in the sky.

The Role: This role wasn't very well-designed, actually. It was unlikely to have any impact, but by sheer luck could have taken out a mafia member. The most interesting part of the role was the Cursed Ruby, which was made in order to give the village a limited way to silence.

Player Assignment: As a totally new player, FreakOfNature was a good candidate for a role of little use. Giving a new player control over the Cursed Ruby could have been bad, but I thought the Cursed Ruby would be passed off quickly.

The Player: On Night 0 FreakOfNature decided to make the safe play and idle his item protection so he didn't inadvertently hit the village thief and/or protect a mafia member. If he had protected hailflameblast then this game might have turned out VERY differently, although the final outcome would have been the same. Keeping HD on HFB and killing Millon would have been a powerful way to start off the game, however the safe play was probably the right one to make. FreakOfNature did pass off his Cursed Ruby, however he gave it to the Bodyguard, which essentially did nothing but make it a bit harder to lynch UncleSam. He then attempted to lynch hailflameblast, so he was clearly very skeptical of HFB from the beginning. He then had a sudden reversal and tried to protect hailflameblast's items the next night when HFB no longer had any. He idled for the entirety of the next day/night cycle and was killed by the Corrupt on Night 2, so his only action this game that had any relevance was the passing of his item to a bad target. I think FreakOfNature seems like a pretty cool, competent guy but he really accomplished nothing in this game.

Dear Blue Tornado,
You are Piggy.

Although you have good ideas about surviving on the island and getting rescued, few people listen to you, because you are fat and asthmatic. However, you will help the Stranded in any way they can.

Since people on the island do not respect your opinions very much, your vote only counts for half. You are holding the glasses. During the day, the holder of this item may PM the hosts "Day X - Burn USER." You will focus the sun's rays with the lenses of the glasses, burning that user. Your target will not die immediately however, and since you have to get so close to your target to use the glasses, they will have the opportunity take them from you. At the end of the next night, even after items have been given and recieved, that user will die of his burns. The glasses cannot be stolen on a night during which they are being used.

The Role: I wanted there to be a glasses item in the game, and wanted it to be powerful. I designed the glasses so that they would have the power to kill but could backfire, and so it would be held by more than one faction during the game. The holder of the glasses was supposed to think twice before using them. I gave this role a half vote to further reduce the power of village roles. Due to concerns that the glasses would get out of hand, we decided to have the glasses break after their second use.

Player Assignment: I gave Blue Tornado this role because I wanted the glasses to be controlled by an experienced player. Due to this role being a very safe claim that is easy to prove, I expected Piggy to be cleaned early on and likely become the assistant village leader.

The Player: Blue Tornado voted for UncleSam on Day 1, then gave his Glasses to THE IRON KENYAN on Night 1 because the village leader would be able to target more effectively. After giving away his item his role was reduced to being worse than even a vanilla villager. He just idled until his death by the Destructive on Night 2. Overall he did the best that his role afforded him.

Dear GTS,
You are Mr. Resetti.

Hey, you! You are the mole who appears to punish anyone who resets an Animal Crossing game. After hearing that there was a resetter who was taking a certain flight, you got on that plane to seek him out. When the plane crashed on the island, the Corrupt and the Destructive both rejected you for being too weak. You joined the Stranded, but you still have the goal of finding the resetter.

During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Rant." In the main body of the PM, include a message, and that message will be posted anonymously in the main thread at the next update. You may also PM the hosts "Night X - No resettin,' USER." If your target is the resetter, you will kill him for his crime.

You are allied with the Stranded. You win if the Stranded eliminate all threats and the resetter is dead at the end of the game.

The Role: This role was made to potentially cause division within the village. If Joey posted his role PM and tried to lead the village, he would have to negotiate with Mr. Resetti in order to not be killed. I designed this role so that even if Joey did not lead the village, the village leader would not know how much to trust Mr. Resetti. I made Mr. Resetti an announcer just because it's fun to have an announcer in the game.

Player Assignment: I gave this role to GTS because he was experienced. Mr. Resetti would have likely had to negotiate with the village leader over using his power, so I assigned this role to a player who could make deals well.

The Player: GTS wrote a little rant for Night 0, then randomly resetter-checked vonFiedler. After contributing to the lynch of UncleSam, he idled for Night 1 and Day 2. His Night 2 resetter-check was on Blue Tornado, but GTS died that night. Some interesting stuff could have happened if he had managed to find Game Freak201, but that was not the case, so GTS had a pretty boring role with which he was incapable of accomplishing anything of value. It is unfortunate that he was the only villager who didn't win.

Dear Itchni,
You are Batman.

In Gotham City, you have seen many horrible acts committed, allies betrayed, and conflicts won and lost. After hearing about criminals on an airplane, you came to investigate but ended up stranded on a deserted island. But even without your belt and Batmobile, you can still use your skills for the good of the Stranded.

During the night, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Follow USER." You will stalk that user in the darkness, and if he tries to kill you, you will appear dead but will actually survive due to your protective suit. If you accomplish this, it will be announced in the update that you appeared to have died during the night, but actually survived. Your suit will break after this, so you can only survive like this once.

You are holding a knife stolen from the Joker. The knife isn't good for fighting, but lets the holder become more confident and intimidating. The holder cannot have his night action blocked or redirected.

The Role: This is another weak village role. The most interesting part of the role is the knife, which was made to counteract the large number of hooks in the game. This item was actually very important in the village's victory, since it absorbed many hooks targeted at THE IRON KENYAN / Da Letter El.

Player Assignment: At the beginning of the game, I didn't know much about Itchni. I knew he had been in at least one game before, but didn't know how well he did. That is why I chose him to have one of the mostly useless village roles.

The Player: Itchni tried pretty hard to successfully stalk but it just didn't work for him. Itchni gave away his Knife to THE IRON KENYAN on Night 1, and started following essentially random people. He followed Blue Tornado that same night, then Raverist, idled on Night 3, then followed Johann, idled again, followed BlackHatGuy, and finally Pidge. As you can see, his targets became more and more informed as the game went on, showing that he was likely getting some good information from someone. His false public claim of Elmer Fudd did a good job of trolling people but didn't get him targeted as he intended. Even if he was targeted it would be unlikely that he would have stalked the correct person. Itchni somehow ultimately became one of the people Da Letter El trusted the most, enough to give him the lynch target list before his death. Itchni played an interesting game, and clearly was doing something right to last so long, but his Elmer Fudd claim was not only ineffective but poorly-planned. It is difficult to tell how much of Itchni's game was the result of his connections to the village inner circle, but either way he started off with a poor performance that got better as time went on.

The Neutrals

Dear HD,
You are Sandbag.

What a pitiable character. You are just an innocent sandbag with big cute eyes, yet the fighters in Super Smash Bros. always beat you up to get items out of you or to knock you a long distance. After getting wrecked on the island, you have decided to do what you do best: help whoever solicits your assistance.

You are both a player in the game and an item. Like any other item, you may be given, recieved, and stolen. If your holder dies, you die as well. If you are killed independently from your holder, you die while your holder does not. Also, you are very large and heavy, so a user who is holding you cannot give, recieve, use, or steal any other items while holding you. Your weight also makes it so nobody can hold on to you for very long, so you must be passed at the end of every night, not counting Night 0. You are currently being held by hailflameblast.

You are allied with whomever holds you. You win if you are alive at the end of the game and your holder wins. If you die, you win if your last holder wins.

The Role: The idea for this role came out of the "Character Items" classification in the Brawl Classic/All Star credits. A player who was also an item and had a shifting alliance would likely be passed between multiple different factions and have to choose which team to work with. This role also fit with the backstabbing motif well. The way I expected the Sandbag to be played was that Fox would pass him to players to check their alliances. If the Sandbag were passed to a mafia member, he could mole the mafia faction and then get stolen back. However, the Sandbag could choose to go over to the mafia and have his holder pass him to another member of the same faction during the day. This role is also the reason for my strict deadtalking rule. If the Sandbag were passed between multiple people, he would end up gaining large amounts of village information. Then if the Sandbag were passed to a mafia faction, kept his village information secret, and then were killed in crossfire before he could be stolen back, the Sandbag would have a lot of information he couldn't tell his teammates while strategizing with them. This would create a large incentive to secretly deadtalk.

Player Assignment: This was a role I made sure to give to a very good player. The Sandbag would have likely handled large amounts of information and would have had to mole the mafia factions, both of which require skill.

The Player: HD played very well before being killed on Night 1 by Pidge, who was apparently wary of the other neutral in the game. He help formulate a plan with hailflameblast to use HD as a win-condition inspection by passing him off and then stealing him the next day, however HD was stolen by Millon de Floss before even one pseudo-inspection could be completed, and was then killed the next night. It would have been interesting to see how HD’s role would have developed, so it is unfortunate that he died early. It is also unfortunate that HD was stolen away from the winning team to join the Corrupt, the first mafia faction to die, but that is mafia for you.

Dear Pidge,
You are the Lord of the Flies.

So many souls to claim; so many silly little boys out there just waiting to fall into your trap. You are the devil incarnate in a severed pig's head, and you have come out of hell to claim as many souls as possible among the survivors of the airplane crash on the island. Your power is terrible; none shall stand in your way of dragging more precious souls into hell.

You are just an apportionment of the main spirit of Satan stationed in the Ninth Circle. Therefore your power is not complete like it is in hell. But you are aware that one of your worshippers in on the island and is making sacrafices to you in exchange for some of your dark arts. During the night, you MUST PM the hosts either "Night X - Cooperate" or "Night X - Defect." You and your worshipper will anonymously either perform your sides of the deal, or give nothing. If you both cooperate, you will both gain three points. If you both defect, you both gain one point. If one cooperates and the other defects, the defector gains five points and the cooperator gains zero. If one member of the exchange is dead, the other only gains one point each night and no longer has to send in cooperation or defection PMs.

Any number of times in the game, you may spend points to execute certain actions. For three points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - The devil made USER1 do it to USER2." You will use your powers of demonic inspiration to redirect the first user's action to target the second user instead. For four points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Spy upon USER." You will use your all-seeing demonic eyes to watch that user and find his complete role PM. For six points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Raise a cloak of darkness." You will pull all the light around you into yourself that night, causing all night actions targeting you to miss. You will release the light the next day, drawing attention to you and giving you a double vote. For six points, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Drag USER to hell." You will send that user's soul to hell, killing him.

On odd nights, you may PM the hosts "Night X - Kill USER." That user will be dead by morning. Also, you are holding the Circle of Ice. This item is made of the unbreakable ice from the Ninth Circle, and prevents one kill or lynch that targets the holder. You know that the Destructive and the Corrupt have defined leaders, and that the leadership of the two factions shifts if the current leader dies. If you kill one of these leaders, you gain six points due to the sheer evil in the leaders' souls. You also know that there are no characters from Lost in the game, and that the village has no mayor role.

You are alone in this conflict. You win if you are the last player alive.

The Role: Out of all the roles in the game, I gave this role the most thought. The Lord of the Flies was the first role that I decided would be in the game, and was the obvious candidate for the wolf role. This role was designed to maximize backstabbing. By being a Prisoner's Dilemma player, he would be able to form a cooperation pact with the Metal Fan and help the village, but would have to betray the village in order to fulfill his win condition. But the wolf usually works with the mafia, so I gave the Lord of the Flies a way to backstab the mafia too. I gave the Lord of the Flies the cheapest Prisoner's Dilemma purchases in order to make him more powerful. I also didn't want my carefully-crafted wolf to be namekilled too early, so I gave him a one-time BPV item. If the Metal Fan had not died Night 1, this role could have become broken due to the large number of points the Lord of the Flies would have been able to get.

Player Assignment: I gave this role to the player I percieved to be the best player in the player list. Pidge has had a very large amount of mafia experience and has been wolf before. Because of the Circle of Ice, I was not worried about namekills, so I gave this role to the player best able to use it.

The Player: Pidge started the game off on Night 0 double-cooperating with his partner zorbees, presumably having already contacted him. For whatever reason, Pidge claimed harmless neutral to zorbees instead of using his safe-claim of mayor. When TIK came out in Day 1, Pidge did not claim right away, but did assist in the lynching of UncleSam. On Night 1, Pidge used his first kill on HD, because he had learned HD was a neutral and was afraid that HD might be able to discover him and/or was lying and had a killing neutral role as well. In any case, Pidge also cooperated, which meant that both zorbees and Pidge had 6 points. Unfortunately, zorbees was killed by the mafia that same night, which meant that Pidge was only capable of getting 1 point a night for the rest of the game unless he found and killed some of the mafia leaders. He once again participated in the lynch on Day 2, this time on hailflameblast. He predictably idled on Night 2, now at 7 points, and lynched darkamber8828 the following day. Night 3 brought his second kill, and this was used on KnightoftheWind in what I assume was an attempt to take out a mafia leader. He also used some points up to redirect Da Letter El's inspect (on Fangren) to HD so that he could allude detection for at least another night. This brought him to 8-3 = 5 points. He helped lynch BunnyMaster the next day, and around this time he finally claimed to Da Letter El as a harmless neutral with a global martyr on Night 7 that would make him win if he died as a result. I am not sure why he went with this role instead of something a little bit simpler, but Da Letter El clearly didn't suspect him enough to make him top lynch priority on his list, so it was good enough to keep him alive a bit longer. Pidge idled on Night 4, and helped lynch Johann on Day 5. On Night 5 he used a kill on StevenSnype to keep himself from being hooked later on, and also killed vonFiedler to get some extra points for killing a mafia leader while also removing a potential killer. In an attempt to balance the numbers a bit Pidge supported BlackHatGuy in the failed lynch of Acklow on Day 6, but they didn't buy it and Pidge became the last threat to the village standing. He used his points to get another kill on TPM, but it was too late. He was vastly outnumbered and couldn't sway the lynch on the next day. Pidge played an excellent game for someone that was crippled so early. He was also put into a very difficult position where he was unable to gain points unless he killed mafia leaders, but couldn't kill mafia leaders without creating an even greater imbalance than already existed. This predicament made it considerably easier for the village to win. Pidge was also hurt by Anachronism's public vote tallies, which were not originally included in the plans for the game and made Pidge's mayor claim less believable. If Pidge had killed villagers rather than mafiosos and neutrals then we might have had entirely different winners in this game. While Pidge did play pretty well, I think he could have done a better job by using his safe-claim and attempting to talk with the mafia to help coordinate kills while also moling them and figuring out who the leaders were.

Awards:

Best Stranded: Da Letter El
Best Destructive: Johann
Best Corrupt: UncleSam
Best Neutral: Pidge
Best Player: Da Letter El
Worst Player: shuckles my hero
Best New Player: BlackHatGuy
Best Luck: Da Letter El
Worst Luck: UncleSam/hailflameblast
Best Move: THE IRON KENYAN stepping up to lead the Day 1 lynch
Worst Move: shuckles my hero leaking his team to Da Letter El
Biggest Disappointment: HD and zorbees both dying Night 1
Most Important Item: The knife

Conclusion:

This game tried out a large number of new roles. In addition to the original idea of Prisoner's Dilemma players, there were the Gray Goo, the flavor faker, and the player item. Some of these roles turned out as expected and some did not; some worked well and some did not. The Prisoner's Dilemma roles were not as good as I had expected, and mostly idled until they had saved up enough points for kills. Of course, this might have turned out differently if zorbees had survived Night 1. The Gray Goo was the least successful new concept in the game, requiring little involvement on the player's part for most of the game and potentially becoming broken late in the game. The flavor faker, on the other hand, worked exactly as intended, spreading confusion among its targets until it was discovered. Watch out for this role in future games! The most interesting, but also mostly untested, new role ended up being the player item. Since this role was only in the game for a night and a day, I did not get a very good sense of how it would work, but saw that its use for moling was working as planned. It's likely that I'll make a game in the future that involves many player items.

Overall, Anachronism and I did a good job of balancing the game. Before he approved the game, Earthworm expressed concern that the village was too powerful due to its large numbers. If the mafia factions had crossfired more or two important village roles had not been killed Night 1, this might have been true. Also, Pidge would have had a much better chance of winning if zorbees had not been killed so early. But the Stranded was the faction that played the best, and well deserves its victory.

Not only is this the postgame, it is also my thousandth post here on Smogon. During the past year and five months I have been here I have greatly improved from my former inexperienced state, becoming better at Pokemon, mafia, and posting in general. Lord of the Flies Mafia has been the high point in my time at Smogon so far; I hope to play and host many more games in the future. I would like to thank everyone who has helped and encouraged me here on Smogon, especially my cohost Anachronism. I hope I will improve as much in my next thousand posts as I did in my first.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congrats on 1k, and yeah, I also wonder how this game would have went had I not been inspected n0/killed n1. But looking at the other side of the coin, UncleSam was inspected n0 as well which helped the village. All in all was a fun game to watch, but sadly, most of what I did was watching.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
O my god this game.

By the way, HFB didn't have bad luck-I knew Millon had claimed thief to DLE so I wanted the other thief discredited as much as possible, in order to be lynched. Sadly, vonfiedler and BlackHatGuy never followed my orders while I was allowed to talk to them, and one of them always ended up screwing the other at night, which stopped the mafia from gaining needed extra kills.

I still think the deadtalking thing was absolute bullshit; never before this were mafia not allowed to strategize with their teammates, and hopefully this will never happen again. Also, if you had followed the grace period rules you said you would, you would have let Darkamber get on and offer DLE a deal DLE consequently admitted he would have taken, which would have shifted the balance of power to the Corrupt somewhat. I still think we would have lost, as the Stranded simply had way too many people, but at least it would have been closer at the end.

The village was just too powerful in this game. We found their best role n0, seven of the mafia survived to n2, and yet the village still won fairly comfortably (they never needed to negotiate with anyone at all). If both mafias had had 5 members and the Wolf had gained points from killed villagers rather than mafia, this would have been a lot more balanced, although the village likely would have lost due to their shit luck early on. As it was, the village getting terrible luck was the only thing that kept it even remotely close.

In closing, goddamnit shuckles. Goddamnit.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I actually did claim mayor to DLE, but he found a mistake in it and the vote tally didn't help either (like you said). Sorry if I didn't tell you that. Anyway, DLE finding out my PM was wrong put me in a bad spot, and therefore I had to make up a role that would give me a reason to fake one in the first place, but still keep my potentially alive. I did work at Johann and BHG at some point, but it was too late by then really.

Also, thanks for making this game, I think it was one of my more favorite ones. I'll edit it in some other comments once I finish reading everything other than my own part.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I idled alot in this game. Although, I have to admit, this definitely was a great game. I wish I could've had a role with a *little* more use, but nevertheless, I was still able to put my vote in, and I was happy to have played.

A game that I never sucked in, and one I enjoyed as well.

I find it not at all ironic I was the only one raped, both in terms of role play and n1 targeting by shuckles. I'd say this was probably my best play in a mafia to date, though knowing my suspicion magnetism is also a beacon to try and stay in the shadows more often.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My guess was right. I noticed your rate of posting had gone down whenever I passed by a post of yours, and furthermore, I noticed that you were 990+. I guessed the LotF postagem was gonna be your 1k and I was right :).

Haha, IMO, there are basically 2 roles which are great for leading: Hooker and Thief. I was lik, WTF when TIK public claimed. Well, DLE did an excellent job leading, and yeah, I was the most screwed over guy in the game, other than mayeb UncleSam :P.

Also, FUCK JOHANN AND HIS PARANOIA.

You realize that the Suspicious Brown Lump was AN UNBLOCKABLE KILL right?

The mafia had the ability to kill off any villager they wanted to, but failed to use it at all until it was too late. The mafia has no one to blame but themselves for this loss. Yes, there were a lot of villagers, but it would have been so easy to disrupt the village long enough to pull off a win with all of the misinformation available.

I just want to point out that I did get some info from Johann about BHG. It made our suspicion of him being mafia from something like 90% to 100%.

All in all it was a fun game. I feel I played fairly well considering how useless my role was.

And congrats Staraptor call on the 1k!

My guess was right. I noticed your rate of posting had gone down whenever I passed by a post of yours, and furthermore, I noticed that you were 990+. I guessed the LotF postagem was gonna be your 1k and I was right :).

Haha, IMO, there are basically 2 roles which are great for leading: Hooker and Thief. I was lik, WTF when TIK public claimed. Well, DLE did an excellent job leading, and yeah, I was the most screwed over guy in the game, other than mayeb UncleSam :P.

Also, FUCK JOHANN AND HIS PARANOIA.

Love you too. <3

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Some moments that I felt were very key that i'd like to mention:

N0: Completely randomly, noobishly, and luckily hooked BHG. I seriously thought that this was the same thing as fluo mafia and did not read the part where it said: No kills happen on N0.

D1: I think that the most important play was when the villagers were stuck in the conundrum of who to lynch: UncleSam, TIK, HFB, or Raverist. Me and a couple of other people, idr who, discussed it and felt that TIK's points were valid, especially the one where if there was a different village inspector, why had he not claimed by now. Sucks though that I lynched off the holder of whoever had my item.

N5: When I sent the PMs to Acklow and TPM on who to lynch, I expected TPM to step up and lead the village since he had a fairly useless role; I did not expect Itchni to lead though, and distrusted him a bit since the moling attempt.

I have to say, I did lol at ABT's negative votes. I thought he backstabbed us. Also, could one of the hosts post the priority list? Just curious to know who went first, etc.

A very fun first forum mafia game (did better than Anything Goes at least :p)

Priorities List

1. Prisoner's Dilemma transactions
  2. Batman's stalk
  3. Fox's Smash Ball kill
  4. Lord of the Flies's Cloak of Darkness
  5. Super-STD full paralysis
  6. Lord of the Flies's hook
  7. Larry Craig's hook
  8. Tiger Woods's hook
  9. Pocketman's hook
  10. Cyrus's hook
  11. Metal Fan's hook
  12. Tabuu's redirect
  13. King Kong's distract
  14. Gregory House's protect
  15. Cyrus's protect
  16. Metal Fan's protect
  17. Lord of the Flies's regular kill and extra kill
  18. Metal Fan's kill
  19. Corrupt's kill and Cyrus's extra kill
  20. Destructive's kill and Tabuu's extra kill
  21. Mr. Resetti's resetter check and kill
  22. Suspicious Brown Lump is used
  23. Neville Flynn's inspect
  24. Cyrus's inspect
  25. Tabuu's inspect
  26. Metal Fan's inspect
  27. Lord of the Flies's inspect
  28. General Zaroff's ability check
  29. Makuta's alliance check
  30. Shy Guy's false name check
  31. Joey's false importance check
  32. Maya Fey's team kill check
  33. WOPR's paranoia generation
  34. Makuta's item create
  35. Mr. Resetti's rant
  36. Jack Sparrow's item guard
  37. Glasses are passed
  38. Fox's steal
  39. Tabuu's steal
  40. Bernard Madoff's steal
  41. Items are passed
  42. Sandbag is passed
  43. Burned user dies

1. Majority is reached
  2. Kill due to the Suspicious Brown Lump
  3. Glasses are used to kill, and are taken
  4. Lynched user is killed

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Biggest joke: I had found out 3 mafiosos by D2 without even trying, and never realised it.

On n0, I actually surmised KOTW was mafia, but withdrew that suspicion due to Gamefreak's claim. Hell, I was still suspicious, I should have gone with that.

d1, when HD told me Millon stole him, if I wasn't so afraid of Millon being a "counterclaim trap", I could have cemented my suspicion and told TIK/dle

d2, vonFiedler's talk with me revealed somethign big. He said he hoped that I wasn't mafia, so that suspicion wouldn't fall on him.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I just say what I'd say if I actually was village. In hindsight it seems fishy because now you know I'm mafia, but it didn't hit you at the time. Happens sometimes. Happened to me in Inventions mafia.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Fun game; I'd post my thoughts, but I'm on vacation. As village leader, I probably should post something substantive. I'll post when I get back though, I promise

Well, I just came back from vacation. So I'm a little tired to explain much of my thought processes in detail. So instead, I'll just do it in a nutshell.

Early on was when I was suspicious of my role being a sham. This was due to the fact that TIK didn't come up as important, but I disregarded that notion due to the idea that only really important roles such as killers and prisoner dilemmas. This belief was reinforced later on once I started getting those strings of 'yes'. I find it interesting that such a sham of a role had quite an impact in this game. I do have to say you guys trolled me pretty well.

I probably would have thought I was Insane (opposite results) or Naive (all no results) for those first few nights. It must have been confusing, and I am honestly not sure if I understand the full ramifications of your results on the daily lynches. Would someone care to explain how much weight they were given?

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Very little weight; I only used them to confirm suspicions on pidge and made me even more confident about johann being bad before I had proof in his lying about safeguarding me the night before i died (although i was 100% sure after that). It also made me re-look at pidge's claim, which had an error (not saying why he joined the Stranded), but I already suspected he was bad due to mayor vote not showing up. So it didnt really change any of my plans.

btw, I would also like to thank Staraptor Call for making this game possible and allowing me (a mafia noob with no previous hosting experience) to not only co-host but also help balance his game. I thought that it was fabulously designed and it was a joy to be a part of the process, especially since it was fun and we didn't fuck up (much).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)