Low on Calory, High on Potentional. BUTTERFREE!

And on top of that, it's always fun to own OU's with UU's.

/agreed

it's alot harder to be done and sometimes throws the advantages in their favor, but when you do come out on top, it feels great! :)

Butterfree is annoying when it status spams! Although its stats are not so favorable, its utility is among the higher rated :)

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay let's get back on track please -- if you're going to reply, at least post some sets that make Butterfree usable, or provide comments on them.

I just tried out double status powders and choice scarf. Its effective and outspeeds almost everything. You're going to need some spinning support though if you want butterfree to disable more than one or two pokes.

Going over the recommended set and tried to see how it could work in a team:

Butterfree*Focus Sash
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore
Theif
Tail Wind

Sleep 1st, Stun 2nd turn, Thief or Tail Wind 3rd Turn, if you're still alive and you Theif last turn Tail Wind this turn and die. Next guy comes in to a Paralyzed foe with a speed boost for 2 turns. Use this for a Lucario to Sub+SDance or any guy that could use a turn of set up (for example, a Baton Passer).

I must admit, I'm not at all experienced with competitive battling. Given that, I'd like to know what people think of this Butterfree:

Timid Butterfree w/ Focus Sash
252 Sp Att, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Sleep Powder
Toxic
Bug Buzz
Dream Eater

The idea is that you sleep powder the first pokemon, with the Focus Sash saving Butterfree from being killed on that first turn. Then, depending on the situation, you Dream Eater the pokemon, or you Toxic on the switch... unless you expect the next pokemon out to be immune to Toxic, either through Immunity, Poison Heal, or being Poison or Steel types, in which case you Bug Buzz to do a bit of damage. Then, unless you used Dream Eater successfully, you switch. Dream Eater, of course, is what you use if the opponent has only one pokemon remaining, or there is some other reason to expect them not to switch.

I picture this butterfree teamed up with a baton-passer that can boost Special Attack, or perhaps with Umbreon (Fake Tears, Wish, Baton Pass, Dark Pulse, with low Speed, or something similar).

But as I said, I have no experience with competitive battling. Is there any major hole in my idea that can't really be patched with suitable choices of other pokemon for the team?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Been using my set for a while now. Most people do obviously switch after the Sleep, but some realize that Butterfree will likely Double Powder and don't. I really think that Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, and U-Turn are essential on it. The thing that counters it as a lead is Ninjask. It and Sceptile are the only two Pokemon who will normally use a Substitute on their first turn. Sceptile's sub is easily broken by U-Turn but Ninjask's isn't.

U-Turn is useful as well for when you don't think the opponent is going to switch. It lets you scout. If they don't switch, switch to your stat-upper. If they do switch, switch to a counter. Not only that, it does major damage to Sceptile and Weavile as well as decent damage (about 25% - 30% I think?) to Tyranitar.

Aielyn, Dream Eater stinks. The HP you recover won't be that useful and you're not gonna do that much damage with it. Not only that, the chances of them switching are high and switching to a counter with U-Turn would likely be a better use of time that trying to do damage with Butterfree. Also, I think Paralysis would be a better use of status than Toxic in 9 cases out of 10. Since usually, they'll bring in a sweeper against Butterfree. Love the Weaviles that get caught in that =)

I haven't experimented with Thief yet... I should. It's too hard to switch in Butterfree after Tyranitar is dead for Sunny Day I find.

Because on Netbattle 99% of the jerks don't read your extra info and challenge your UU team with SkarmBlissGrossTarMenceStar stuff.

And on top of that, it's always fun to own OU's with UU's.
Plus a good amount of people there speak an alternate language, too.

I personally like this Butterfree. My mom uses it in 3 vs. 3 (lol), and it wrecks people on a regular basis.

Butterfree @ Focus Sash
Jolly, 252 Sp Att, 252 Spd
-Sleep Powder
-Tailwind
-Thief
-Bug Buzz

Leads. Guaranteed sleep on first Poke, use Tailwind on the switch, steal the next Poke's item, die (XD), and let the rest of your team benefit from Tail Wind and the opponent having 2 crippled Pokes. She switches to Gyarados after Butterfree dies, which usually kills all 3 of the opponent's Pokes with +Speed from Tail Wind (in a 3 on 3 battle, it lasts long enough...) Oh, and Bug Buzz is filler, obviously.

It's kinda sad that my mom is better at Pokemon than I am.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hm... the set is interesting, but many people seem to expect Double Powder and don't switch. Also, Tailwind isn't as useful on 6v6 =(

Hm... the set is interesting, but many people seem to expect Double Powder and don't switch. Also, Tailwind isn't as useful on 6v6 =(
That's why it's a stadium mode set. For PBR. Get it? Take it for what it is.

Also, even if they don't switch, Butterfree pulls of Tailwind which rocks in 3 vs. 3. AND they get their item stolen if they don't wake up. Because of Focus Sash, Butterfree will always get something done, unless they have a Sandstream user/Abomasnow, in which case Butterfree wouldn't be sent into battle that round since this set is built for PBR Wi-fi.

People have posted plenty of 6 vs. 6 sets here already, and apparently the topic died because nobody else had anything different to offer, so I did. No one said you HAVE to like/use it.

Firestorm

Er, not trying to bash it. Just saying that although it can work in 3v3, it needs to be modified for 6v6.

Also, the only weather ability users are Abomosnow,Tyranitar and Hippowdon. Butterfree outspeeds them all. You won't even need Focus Sash. Unless of course you miss (2 - 3% chance). Then you're screwed.

How much does super effective STAB Bug Buzz do to Abamasnow anyways? and Tyranitar? Not very powerful, but I'm sure the damage is decent.

Firestorm

How much does super effective STAB Bug Buzz do to Abamasnow anyways? and Tyranitar? Not very powerful, but I'm sure the damage is decent.
Timid Butterfree's Bug Buzz with 252 SpAtk EVs, would do 130 - 153 to Tyranitar under Sandstorm without SpDef EVs.. Without any HP EVs, he has 341 HP. So 38% - 45%.

Abomasnow: 221 - 259 out of 321 (69% - 81%) assuming no SpDef/HP EVs again.

Er, not trying to bash it. Just saying that although it can work in 3v3, it needs to be modified for 6v6.

Also, the only weather ability users are Abomosnow,Tyranitar and Hippowdon. Butterfree outspeeds them all. You won't even need Focus Sash. Unless of course you miss (2 - 3% chance). Then you're screwed.
But the set wasn't made for 6 on 6... at all. If you're using Butterfree in 6 on 6, you should use one of the other sets in this thread. I thought that would be obvious.

True about the weather ability users, that didn't even occur to me.

Personally I would like to see more 3 vs 3 possiblities, but I suppose that will gain interest when PBR is released. I foresee it being popular with the random battle option.

Personally I would like to see more 3 vs 3 possiblities, but I suppose that will gain interest when PBR is released. I foresee it being popular with the random battle option.
Good to see someone else is interested in it. For the past few months I've been looking into underused Pokemon and their potential on 3 vs. 3. You'd be surprised how many Pokemon who are deemed to be "crap" by the competitive battling community are actually usable, and GOOD there. Luvdisc still sucks, though. Heh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)