Implemented Mega Alakazam in LGPE OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Hi. Not a meta that gets posted on very often but I think this warrants it. LGPE OU is a very competitive meta, and I reckon most people who've played it would agree. It's needed very little in the way of tiering action to Kinda Just Work. We've seen loads of viable teamstyles, new threats, and adaptations to old standbys over the past few years since the Mega Gengar ban, but there's been one especially potent force looming over the tier for the entirety of this timeframe, and it only grows stronger. It's quite an awkward time to talk about action on a mon as there's no circuit this year, but I've been getting more and more demands so here we go, something.
:sm/alakazam-mega:
Mega Alakazam is a threat in LGPE OU matches. This much is known. It's undeniably the best Mega Evolution, punishing the game's limited answers to a nuclear STAB Psychic fired off from the highest possible Speed stat, which it only shares with Mega Aerodactyl and Electrode. Zam's ridiculous Speed means that in the vast majority of cases, you're exclusively limited to defensive counterplay. This is a problem, because said defensive counterplay is rather limited and can often be messed up by Zam's teammates quite easily, especially Starmie. Melmetal often gets worn down handling [insert like every other Pokemon] and takes quite a lot from Shadow Ball, Snorlax gets worn down super fast unless it's running Rest which has loads of its own issues, Chansey doesn't exert any real pressure outright and is ruined by basically any status AND is threatened by anything with a physical move due to the lack of EVs, Mega Gyarados is restrictive on your teamstyle and can still be bruised beyond repair by Dazzling Gleam, Alolan Dugtrio is a decent check but isn't a switchin in the slightest... You get it. If you want to feel genuinely decent versus Zam it's often Alolan Muk or bust, as the combo of AMuk + Melmetal + ADug can handle Zam and its teammates with good play. The repeated mention of ADug brings up another issue with Zam though- while Zapdos makes most players want to run a Ground-type, Alakazam heavily punishes any Ground other than Alolan Dugtrio for existing, resulting in ADug's constantly increasing value in the meta and all other Ground-types basically falling off a cliff. While this isn't a big deal in terms of competitive balance, as ADug is definitely the best Ground regardless of Zam's existence, it's one of a few ways that Zam puts a stranglehold on the teambuilder. You can't really afford to slack on the Zam matchup when it just outspeeds and murders basically everything that isn't a check.

With that said, players can and do defeat Zam teams when their counterplay to the mon itself is really only Melmetal and Alolan Dugtrio (and Mew taking a hit and U-turning, I guess). It takes some very careful aggressive play, especially as neither of those two want to face down a Starmie very much and Starmie is becoming more and more of a staple on Zam teams, but it can be done. Specific Zam teams also have specific weaknesses- most of them are filled with fast, frail Pokemon (and Zapdos (and obligatory Mew+Melm)), which can be rather vulnerable to Mega Aerodactyl, who even provides the out of a Speed tie versus Zam in a pinch. Mega Blastoise and Mega Gyarados can also both be rather offensively threatening as per usual, and can be used to accelerate the game state to a point where the Zam team lacks the resources to take down Melmetal quickly enough. Mega Venusaur teams are substantially worse off, and generally rely on either careful Chansey usage or rather aggressive Snorlax usage to make it out alive. The Zam mirror is the Zam mirror, idk what to really say. Zam teams with AMuk tend to do better into the mirror I guess. I'd also note that the Zam Starmie builds that really accelerated the "ban Zam" discussion are relatively new and ways to play vs them could potentially still be developed further. Overall though I think it's very obvious that Zam builds are the strongest builds with the least volatile matchups, they kinda always have decent odds against anything except super unreasonable builds that fold to anything else. Is it strong to the point of bad for the tier? idk, but a lot of people think so. That's what the thread is for.

At the moment this is more of a discussion thread than anything. Do you think Zam is too much for LGPE OU? Do you think it's ok? If this develops into a vote on Zam we can discuss an appropriate voter list here based on semi-recent tours and possibly a few live tours. I heavily encourage anyone with any kind of investment in LGPE OU to take part in this thread. If you don't have posting access, you can request it here.

Tagging some noteworthy LGPE tour players this may be of interest to, feel free to post even if not tagged and feel free to ignore if you've left the tier:

It's broken, idk if i'll make a long post but like man can outspeed and 2hko the whole tier except things like melmetal, which u would rather trade for other things, or like mukalola or snorlax that gets weakened easily by special spam, and chansey is not that good, i cant count how many games ive won with megazam on the field on the last turn because its super easy to clean with it, it doesnt add anything particularly healthy to the tier except being able to tie with mega aero but not much else, i would say tho if mega zam gets banned that we should watch closely mega aero but idt mega aero will become omega broken just because we cant tie with it anymore realistically

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
i would say tho if mega zam gets banned that we should watch closely mega aero but idt mega aero will become omega broken just because we cant tie with it anymore realistically
Agreed that this probably isn't a huge issue when 2 of the top 4 megas are waters and one packs STAB Aqua Jet, also Rhydon most likely becomes usable again which helps provide some teams with another threatening check. I would probably be most scared of setup Mew (especially Bulk Up) becoming harder to handle without one of the most accessible ways to outspeed and KO it from the mid ranges but it might be manageable with the stuff that becomes good in Zam's absence, I dunno.

It's broken, idk if i'll make a long post but like man can outspeed and 2hko the whole tier except things like melmetal, which u would rather trade for other things, or like mukalola or snorlax that gets weakened easily by special spam, and chansey is not that good, i cant count how many games ive won with megazam on the field on the last turn because its super easy to clean with it, it doesnt add anything particularly healthy to the tier except being able to tie with mega aero but not much else, i would say tho if mega zam gets banned that we should watch closely mega aero but idt mega aero will become omega broken just because we cant tie with it anymore realistically
From my experience after playing games of roa spotlight tour but also watching games from other tours what makes mega zam rly overpowered is the fact light screens arent good compared to reflect because almost all of the users die to zam so most of the time will always rely on mel or amuk. As with reflect . zapdos for example is good using bc it will use mainly for mel but it can still help alot while reflect is up vs mega aero. With that being said id def support a ban because mega zam doesnt rly hold the tier and just restricts builds

Last edited:

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mega Zam is definitely constricting in the builder and if you don’t cover for it your only option becomes Melmetal, which literally only switches in once with rocks. The thing that really makes it a pain is that it hits literally everything for super effective damage or just hits them so absurdly hard it doesn’t even matter. That said, you can check it with U-turn users to get Melm in free and do massive damage, and obviously Adug can snipe it but you also risk it having Recover or something and just destroying you for clicking Sucker Punch. I’m not sure I want it *gone* necessarily but it would definitely allow far more options - mega venu gets a lot better, mega bee actually looks kind of sick and still has a check in mega aero (and rocks lol), poliwrath gets better, non adug ground types get better… i’m talking myself into banning it tbh

NEET

the worst at what he does best
is a Tiering Contributor
As a old head and a Uber's players I'm hesitant to take tiering action against any mon, but as the years progressed and the zam archetype keeps being innovated and player's keep demonstrating mega-zam's strength more and more with each passing tourney I can't just ignore it and I feel that it has become too much specially in this already centralize meta of LGPE, it feels to me that mega-zam has too strong of a stranglehold on the team builder and that it also stagnates creativity I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of tiering action be taken and I think it deserves it

The most restricting mon from the little I played when this got the spotlight. Managed to cllimb on a dead ladder up to top15 or smth. M-Zam restricts way too much on builder and in battle. Little ways to punish such a fast speed tier and extremely hard to blanket its attacks even with Melmetal or A-Muk which tend to get worn down or perform other roles ergo getting their health low. I think even if you dont consider these facts as enough for it to be broken since theres priority users in blastoise and alolan-duggy, which arent the best checks anyway. M-zam being gone will probably benefit the tier into a more healthy state and will allow for more variety in teams as poison and fighting types will get better and some other megas will see more usage as well. Which will benefit in the long run the appareance of ground types and such. I dont think lgpe meta loses from banning m-zam and its traits are enough to guarantee a ban in my eyes.

I do not play this game anymore but I did enjoy this tier when I did. In fact, I only saw this alert because I logged into smogon to find out what an Orgepon is. So, take everything with a grain of salt.

This thing is very fucking good and I think some action would be good (clearly from the replies already). As has been said so far, its stupid fast, hits hard and heavily restricting on the builder (in a tier that’s already pretty restricting). It is quite simply one of the strongest late game cleaners in any stable metagame I've seen. For that reason, its fundamentally easy to use and pretty easy to whack on a team/ built around. Zam starmie teams are pretty consistent (special spam in general tbh) and I think it will only continue to be when people start using other grounds (that are not a-duggy) in order to do better in a-muk matchup. But then of course if you do that, your weaker to opposing zam zzz.

I think the main argument for keeping it is that it does have problems with coming into the field though outside of a revenge kill or a late game double. psychic stab is pretty good but its not ohkoing much outside of gengar, nidoking, nidoqueen, beedrill (the former 2 having sucker specifically for it). It also safely comes in vs hardly anything. It does struggle a little bit with mega toise teams (a lot of the time you gotta sack vs it or chip it using a special attacker). These qualities take away from it being a bigger threat in the early/mid game than you might first think, thus not making it an auto win in the endgame.

But honestly this only really feels like justification for why it has not been banned already as opposed to a reasonable argument as to why it should stay.

I think some sort of action is a good move. It being gone would probably be for the best.

Most of what I would say here has been addressed by Eve priorly, many Pokemon such as Nidoqueen, Poliwrath, Rhydon, ect. are stifled by the existence of Mega Alakazam by virtue of it being the number 1 offensive threat in the tier. Now while I personally believe that handling MAlakzam is almost always doable by virtue of that fact that every team automatically has a Mega Alakazam answer in the form of Melmetal, and that a smart player should be able to play the game that makes it so that Melm is already ready to go against Mega Alakazam, it still can be rather constraining and because Mega Alakazam doesn't really take hits to begin with as it is always switching out, whittling it down is very hard to I find outside of getting it in twice against Stealth Rocks so that Dugtrio can pick of the kill. One thing I also think should be noted is that while Melmetal does take two Shadow Balls, a drop can actually make it a roll to be killed after one layer of stealth rocks (this is a pretty unlikely chance of happening, as you need two good rolls and drop, but I've seen it happen more then once, when factoring crits it's an uncomfortably high chance of occurring. I find even Alolan-Muk to be a rather poor Alakazam answer in practice, as taking Stealth Rocks chip every time and being slower then almost all of the tier as well as being rather prediction reliant I find due to it not threatening 2HKO's on important Pokemon such as Zapdos, and if Mega Alakazam clicks Dazzling Gleam on the switch to Alolan-Muk it's most likely going to die the next time it tries to go up against Mega Alakazam. Even a late game situation with Chansey doesn't always go the way of Chansey, because of Psychic's ability to drop Special Defense and potential crits, if Alakazam has recover it goes even better for it, again this is rare but it can happen as well.

Now again, while Mega Alakazam is always going to have a solid check in the form of Melmetal in every game (I would argue 2 because I personally believe every team should be running Alolan-Dugtrio, but that's another debate), these factors, along with how just one wrong move on the Melmetal's part leaves it more or less losing the game, I think compound it into a point that Mega Alakazam ultimately doesn't do anything good for the tier, and that nothing is very ironclad at handling it. I don't see any real reason why this Pokemon should remain in the tier, the niche it serves of being a fast, hard-hitting Mega can be replicated by Mega Aerodactly as well and it suffocates the tier just a bit too much. The only reservation I would have should a ban-vote ever commence is that I would be concerned with Mega Venusaur becoming too strong without Zam there to check it, but only time would tell.

Eve

taking a break
Community Leader
It's been nearly two weeks and I'm yet to see any substantial anti-ban sentiment either in this thread or on Discord, let alone a majority. As such, we will be moving forward with a vote.

Of course, a vote requires voters. After a discussion with the rest of the council, we've decided on these requirements.

You must have achieved at least one of the following requirements in order to qualify for voting:
  • Qualified for, or played in, 2022/2021 LGPE Circuit Championships
  • Reached Semifinals of a Double Elimination 2022/2021 LGPE Circuit OU Tournament
  • Reached Finals of a Single Elimination 2022/2021 LGPE Circuit OU Tournament
  • Reached Finals of 2023's RoA Spotlight Tournament: LGPE OU
This results in the following list of eligible voters:

To help compensate for the limited qualification opportunities available this year, we'll be hosting two Live Single Elimination Tournaments next weekend on smogtours.psim.us, with the winner, or highest placing unqualified player, of each tournament qualifying to vote. These will be held at the following times:
  • Saturday, 14th October - 11pm GMT+1 / 6pm EST Won by Sabelette
  • Sunday, 15th October - 6pm GMT+1 / 1pm EST
Announcements will be posted in this thread and on the Let's Go Discord when signups for these tours open- make sure you're ready to sign up, as you won't have long to do so. You may sign up to play even if you've already qualified to vote.

Voting will begin on Monday 16th October, and end on Monday 23rd October. This thread will stay open as a place of discussion until the vote has concluded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)