XY OU Mega Gyarados Bulky Offense Peaked 1906 #18

Mega Gyarados Bulky Offense

Hey everyone, this is a team made by myself and my buddy Cosine180 :] We both really like the core of Gyarados + Gothitelle, so we decided to build around it.

Building Process

So the mega we would be building around would be mega Gyarados, and the first thing we noticed is that Gyarados loses to certain bulky mons such as Skarmory, Amoongus, Mega Venusaur, Slowbro etc that are commonly run on stall so we needed something to remove these pokes from play.

That's where Gothitelle comes in. Gothitelle can easily trap any of these pokes and grab KOs which in turn makes it easier for Gyarados to sweep. It also really helps against stall as it can cripple walls such as Chansey by tricking it it's specs and with the right prediction can grab KOs on the pokes mentioned before.

The next poke we decided to add was Breloom. The reason we did this is because it pairs really well with both Gyarados and Gothitelle. It can put in work to teams early on and again focuses more on giving Gyarados an easier time sweeping as well as being a good lure for pokes such as Amoongus and Mega Venusaur which Gothitelle can deal with.

Next we needed a defogger since both Gyarados and Sashloom don't appreciate the rocks / spikes damage respectively. Looking at the 3 we had, we noticed we needed something to reliably deal with Keldeo, so Latias fitted the role perfectly.

Now we wanted a Stealth rocker and the first thing that came to mind was Landorus-T as the 4 we currently had were easily beaten by things like Bird spam, Mega Hera, Zard-X and other physical threats which is why Landorus-T fits the role perfectly.

Now Looking at the 5 that we had we noticed that we were very weak to HP grass greninja and mixed variants of Thundurus that carry knock off. We originally thought to add clefable in this spot as it deals with both of them but none of the sets really worked well with the team. It would need to run a lot of spdef to deal with these 2, removing the option of a cm set. We already had a rocker in Lando so we didn't need that and had healing wish on Latias so having Clefable seemed redundant to us. This is why we decided on Azumarill, whilst yes the two things it checks for us can hit it with super effective damage, the AV set which is what we use can beat both of these mons 1v1. It is also just a great mon in general being able to check a lot of the metagame and in our opinion, a good last addition to the team.

Proof Of Peak: Cosine180 is SpecsWobbuffet

The Team

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 64 HP / 248 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

As mentioned before this was our mega of choice and can be a lethal threat at +1 given the right support. Intimidate helps create openings for Gyarados to set up when partnered with it's respectable physical bulk and is the ability of choice for what we need it to do. We decided to give Gyarados a Jolly nature with enough speed to outspeed Mega Manectric at +1. We put 248 EVs into attack as this allows us to run uneven HP with the leftover EVs which is good as it allows Gyarados to take less damage from stealth rocks.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 86 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

This mon plays a huge role in the team and is probably the one that always puts in the most work. We chose this move set as it allows us to severely weaken or KO the majority of pokes that give Gyarados trouble. Psychic for Amoongus / Venu, Thunderbolt for skarm, HP Fire for Ferrothorn and trick to cripple annoying walls like Chansey etc. We decided on a modest nature with choice specs as this really helps with the damage output and it doesn't need a lot of speed to do what it does on this team since a lot of the mons that it deals with are very slow. The 144EVs in speed are to outspeed Mega Venu that run 200 speed to outspeed max speed adamant Azumarill. Set changed to that suggested by escarlata

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed

This is our lead most of the time and fills that role really well being pretty much guaranteed to put something to sleep and the majority of mons that can't be sleeped [with the right prediction] can be taken out with Gothitelle. People also commonly lead Landorus against this and whilst Gyarados can hit it super effectively, it can still be an annoyance and is nice to have temporarily crippled. This mon is also capable of preventing the team from getting sweeped if it still has it's focus sash intact being able to live any one hit and in general greatly supports the team.

Latias (F) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 84 HP / 180 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Latias' role in the team is mainly to defog away hazards but it also forms nicely as a Keldeo check. We decided to use the colbur berry set as the team does have trouble with Bisharp and this set helps to prevent us from dealing with the 50/50s that Bisharp creates. It also pretty much guarantees a kill against Bisharp as even an unboosted HP fighting is able to OHKO it whilst it can't OHKO back with sucker punch [if it does even go for it]. Basically the main aim of this set is to ensure that we can defog away any hazards as rocks really limit what Gyarados can do. Healing wish can also be used late game and allows us not to worry too much about status on Gyarados. The 244 EVs in speed are to outspeed Keldeo. Running HP fighting means we have a speed IV of 30 making it impossible to speed tie with other Lati@s and the next fastest mon we needed to outspeed was Keldeo. The rest of the EVs were distributed between HP and Spdef giving an uneven number in HP to again reduce damage taken from rocks. Set changed to that suggested by uCan'tSeeMe

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

This is a very important mon in the team as we rely on it a lot to deal with a lot of the physical threats in the current metagame. This is one of the reasons why we decided to run max defense as it helps deal with a lot of these threats. Landorus is also commonly our check to things like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir and we don't miss out on any KOs with stone edge by running little attack investment. It's also used as our stealth rocker and the hazards can play a large role in weakening the opposing team down for Gyara to potentially sweep.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Last but not least is Azumarill. As mentioned before this is our Greninja and Thundurus [to an extent] check as it can beat both 1v1. We also decided to use Azu since the team didn't really have a switch in to opposing Lati@s and it's nice to have there to stop them spamming Draco. Knock off is used to cripple certain mons and as a 100% accuracy answer to the Latis as missing Play rough can be really annoying given that the Latis are such a huge threat to the team. There's also the possibility of removing choice scarfs from certain mons, a popular example being scarf Lando-T which can help Gyara sweep at +1 in the long run. Azumarill is also just a check to so much of the metagame and nice to have on any team, we feel it works as the last member. Set changed to that suggested by uCan'tSeeMe

Threat List

Latios' pose a huge threat to the team, especially after Azu is dead / weakened being able to spam Draco / Psyshock respectively and pretty much get a kill every time it comes in. If we do see an opposing Latios we ensure to keep Azu healthy untill it is dealt with.

Like with Latios, after Azu is dead / Weakened, Thundurus does become a problem. Latias can deal with the non mixed set but it can still put a huge dent into the team.

Manectric threatens the team in the same way Thundurus does being able to outspeed the entire team and hit most of it for super effective damage. We have to make sure to keep either Azu or Latias at a high amount of HP to deal with this.

Azumarill can be a huge threat to this team, more notably the Assault Vest set which can hit the majority of our team for super effective damage. It can also be a real pain to take down given it's amazing bulk and always ends up putting in work on the team [if the user of it knows what they're doing].

I don't think i can make a team that wouldn't have this thing on the threat list. It's able to hit a lot of the team super effectively, has great coverage and a huge power output in the move Hyper Voice. The two ways of dealing with this include Bullet seeding with Breloom with the sash still intact and having Azu at a high enough amount of HP to live any one hit and then fire off a waterfall + aqua jet which i believe kills.

Heracross can be a real pain to face, especially if it runs bullet seed as that way Azumarill [what would be a good check] can't deal with it. The only way we have of reliably dealing with this is through Landorus as it can beat MegaCross 1v1 but at the loss of a lot of HP as the best Landorus can do back is stone edge which doesn't do too much given Mega Heracross' respectable physical bulk allowing it to get off more hits than we'd like.

That's all i can think of for the threat list now, if you see anything else that threatens the team please be sure to say and i'll add it to the list.

Importable
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 64 HP / 248 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 114 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed

EVs: 84 HP / 180 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Rates and Suggestions are all greatly appreciated. Me and Cosine have had great fun with this team so far and think that it definitely has the potential to be great which is why we would love to see how it could be made better. :]
Edits are in Red

Last edited:
Hey Dark_380 and Cosine180!

A really really solid team that you got there!

I really can't find many aspects that you could improve,but I will try my best!

First thing is the Latias spread. I would suggest to use a but bulkier spread which will allow you to live a Choice Banded adman Brave Bird from Talonflame, aswell as Life Orb Protean Ice Beam from Greninja. It would help you out against Talonflames, which could be a pain for Gyarados if it's already weakened. It will also help you out against Thundurus, which can be a huge threat for your entire team.

EVs: 84 HP / SpA / 180 SpAtk / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Next change I would suggest is running Superpower instead of Knock Off on your Azumarill. Superpower will help you in getting rid of annoying threats for your mGyarados such as Ferrothorn. While Amoongus, a Pokemon Knock Off is useful against, is handled by Latios and Gothitelle, your only way of beating Ferrothorn is trapping it with Gothitelle. I also made a small Spread-change, regarding Azumarill. It gives you better bulk in general on the special side, and helps to speed cripple things like Mega Mawile.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpDef/ 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Thats it for now, can't stop to tell you how solid this team is. Great work, and hope I could help a bit :]

Hey Dark_380 and Cosine180!

A really really solid team that you got there!

I really can't find many aspects that you could improve,but I will try my best!

First thing is the Latias spread. I would suggest to use a but bulkier spread which will allow you to live a Choice Banded adman Brave Bird from Talonflame, aswell as Life Orb Protean Ice Beam from Greninja. It would help you out against Talonflames, which could be a pain for Gyarados if it's already weakened. It will also help you out against Thundurus, which can be a huge threat for your entire team.

EVs: 84 HP / SpA / 180 SpAtk / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Next change I would suggest is running Superpower instead of Knock Off on your Azumarill. Superpower will help you in getting rid of annoying threats for your mGyarados such as Ferrothorn. While Amoongus, a Pokemon Knock Off is useful against, is handled by Latios and Gothitelle, your only way of beating Ferrothorn is trapping it with Gothitelle. I also made a small Spread-change, regarding Azumarill. It gives you better bulk in general on the special side, and helps to speed cripple things like Mega Mawile.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpDef/ 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Thats it for now, can't stop to tell you how solid this team is. Great work, and hope I could help a bit :]
Thanks for the rate uCan'tSeeMe, I definitely agree with the change of the Latias spread, the extra bulk would be really nice and we don't need the spatk for too much. I'm however skeptical about removing knock off on Azumarill. I did think of superpower at first and whilst yes it does definitely help deal with Ferrothorn better, that's really all it does plus we already have Gothitelle to put Ferrothorn in range of Gyarados / KO it. Something else to note is with the metagame the way it is, trapping is extremely common so shed shell can be use on pokes like Amoongus, Skarmory and Ferrothorn which are common answers to Azumarill and the option to remove these items allowing Gothitelle to deal with them benefits the team more than superpower in my opinion. I will however try all of the changes and see how they affect the team. Thanks again for the rate / suggestions :]

A very solid team in general, and props for using that core. I really liked the GothGyara core and used it a few months back before I temporarily stopped laddering. First impression is that it is a really decent team so I don't really have much to nitpick on. However, there are some minor details which may come handy at times.

Off the top of my head, Goth should be running 172 speed, for Mandibuzz iirc, which can actually be quite troublesome to get rid off. Since you are running Jolly Gyarados, it's also a good idea to speedcreep Adamant Excadril with 212 Spe Gyara. Not much bulk is lost
but being able to ohko Excadril before getting hit is really handy when coming back with Healing Wish.

Another thing you have big problem with would be stallbreaker Mew. The best you can do is to trick a Specs on it and hopes it gets worn down before burning everything you have. Heatran is a good replacement for Landorus-t for its ability to check the same threats, while also handling a good number of threats in your threatlist. Heatran also has a fantastic synergy with Gyarados before it mega evolves, since many thing that takes down Heatran actually becomes DD bait for Gyara. I will post the exact Heatran set after I get on my comp (typing on phone now), or you can just go figure a set of your preference.

But overall a very solid team, keep it up!
Thanks for the rate escarlata. Yeah, one of the things we took into account was Mandibuzz, however we didn't know how much speed they commonly run so that's helpful and i'll make that change, thanks. Whilst Heatran would help us with some of the threats on the list, it would allow for bullet seed Mega Heracross to literally OHKO everything on the team and with how common it is right now, i'm not sure if the change would benefit the team but I do appreciate the suggestions and will try them out. Thanks again for the rate / suggestions :]

Last edited:
A very solid team in general, and props for using that core. I really liked the GothGyara core and used it a few months back before I temporarily stopped laddering. First impression is that it is a really decent team so I don't really have much to nitpick on. However, there are some minor details which may come handy at times.

Off the top of my head, Goth should be running 172 speed, for Mandibuzz iirc, which can actually be quite troublesome to get rid off. Since you are running Jolly Gyarados, it's also a good idea to speedcreep Adamant Excadril with 212 Spe Gyara. Not much bulk is lost
but being able to ohko Excadril before getting hit is really handy when coming back with Healing Wish.

Another thing you have big problem with would be stallbreaker Mew. The best you can do is to trick a Specs on it and hopes it gets worn down before burning everything you have. Heatran is a good replacement for Landorus-t for its ability to check the same threats, while also handling a good number of threats in your threatlist. Heatran also has a fantastic synergy with Gyarados before it mega evolves, since many thing that takes down Heatran actually becomes DD bait for Gyara. I will post the exact Heatran set after I get on my comp (typing on phone now), or you can just go figure a set of your preference.
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
But overall a very solid team, keep it up!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)