LC Meowth

Gummy

...three, smiles go for miles!
qc: hilomilo / thunderboy / nineage
gp: p squared / fireflame

[OVERVIEW]

Meowth carves itself a niche as an excellent revenge killer with its Fake Out + Feint combination, which is considerably powerful thanks to STAB combined with Technician. In tandem with Fake Out, Feint can take care of many sweepers like Abra, Zigzagoon, and Carvanha without opposition. Meowth also hits the coveted 19 Speed tier, allowing it to outpace almost the entire unboosted metagame, including threats like Mienfoo and Chinchou, and Speed tying with Ponyta. It's also an excellent anti-lead that is able to reliably take care of Onix and Dwebble. Unfortunately, Meowth is beaten by common priority attacks like Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch. It suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it's unable to carry all the coverage it needs, forcing it to be vulnerable to at least one of its checks. It's also incredibly frail and will usually get knocked out if it can't KO what's in front of it. Meowth is forced to run Life Orb, as it's fairly weak without one. Finally, Meowth faces competition from Aipom, a bulkier Normal-type attacker with access to a stronger STAB attack in Fury Swipes.

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Feint / Return
move 3: Water Pulse
move 4: Aerial Ace / Knock Off / U-turn
item: Life Orb
ability: Technician
nature: Hasty
evs: 236 Atk / 36 SpA / 36 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Technician and STAB factored in, Meowth's Fake Out hits a Base Power of 90, making it the strongest Fake Out in LC. This can deal a hefty chunk of damage to a foe without them being able to do anything back. Feint is more reliable than Fake Out, as it works on any turn; it goes through Protect and is still boosted by STAB and Technician. However, Feint is weaker and doesn't have the flinch bonus that Fake Out does. Return is an option for more power, OHKOing Alolan Vulpix, 2HKOing Staryu, and 2HKOing offensive variants of Vullaby after Stealth Rock. If you want to take full advantage of Meowth's power, you can run Double-Edge; it OHKOes Life Orb Staryu, and Fake Out + Double-Edge KOes Ponyta. However, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Water Pulse is an incredibly important move, KOing Dwebble and Onix after their Sturdy has been broken. It also KOes other leads like Drilbur after a Fake Out. Aerial Ace is Meowth's best way of hitting Fighting-types; Fake Out into an Aerial Ace KOes Mienfoo. Knock Off is an option, letting Meowth remove items and soften up its foes. It also hits Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth like Gastly and Pumpkaboo. Finally, U-turn lets Meowth do damage while switching and gain momentum, especially due to its great Speed.

Set Details
========

19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil to only 1 HP per turn. A Hasty nature allows Meowth to reach its maximum Speed at 19, outspeeding most of the unboosted metagame and Speed tying with Ponyta, Abra, and Staryu. 36 Special Attack EVs net the Water Pulse KO on Archen after a Fake Out. The combination of Technician and Life Orb boosts Meowth's power; Fake Out, Feint, Water Pulse, and Aerial Ace are all boosted by Technician. 36 Special Defense EVs let Meowth take Alolan Grimer's Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Meowth is an excellent anti-lead that is able to beat Mienfoo and Onix, so leading with it is often a safe choice. If possible, try to scout whether the Onix is Weak Armor or Sturdy, as using Fake Out on the former is counterproductive. Don't switch Meowth in on attacks if you can, however, as it is very frail and best suited to come in after a slow U-turn or as a revenge killer. Feint should be played to its strengths; for example, use it against common Protect users like Torchic and Carvanha. Keep Meowth healthy throughout the match, as its ability to reliably deal high amounts of damage is valuable mid- and late-game. If your team struggles against a certain sweeper, preserve Meowth so it can deal a large chunk of damage with its Fake Out and Feint. If you're running U-turn or Knock Off, be sure to use them on predicted switches to keep up momentum.

Team Options
========

Meowth is best suited for hyper offensive teams that struggle to break through setup sweepers. Fighting-type checks are incredibly helpful to Meowth. Pokemon like Snubbull and Mudbray can threaten Timburr and Croagunk, respectively. Slow, bulky Pokemon with moves like Volt Switch and U-turn help Meowth get in safely, which Meowth highly appreciates thanks to its low bulk. Examples include Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Magnemite. It's also very helpful to run a Pokemon that covers whatever weakness Meowth has from its missing coverage; for example, if you run U-turn over Aerial Ace, use a Fighting-type check like Spritzee. If you're not running Knock Off, Meowth appreciates Knock Off support; without Eviolite, few Pokemon can take Meowth's STAB priority combination. Mienfoo and Pawniard both offer good Knock Off support. Pursuit trappers like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer can remove Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth. Since Meowth is heavily walled by Pawniard, Pawniard checks like Mienfoo, Ponyta, and Timburr can help alleviate this weakness. Meowth appreciates entry hazard support to make Fake Out and Feint's KO chance higher. Pokemon like Onix, Archen, and Pawniard can set up Stealth Rock. Finally, other Normal-types like Aipom, Doduo, and Bunnelby share checks with Meowth, allowing them to all wear down their checks together.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Nasty Plot set using Round can be run, but since Meowth generally has a hard time finding times to set up, and the Fake Out + Feint combination is so powerful, it struggles to find use over other special attackers like Nasty Plot Vullaby or Alolan Meowth. Meowth can run a Naughty nature to fully maximize its Attack, but the loss of a Speed point is huge, and this nature doesn't help Meowth secure any notable KOs. Hidden Power Fighting gives Meowth a far better matchup against Pawniard, but its other coverage options are generally more helpful. Taunt makes Meowth an ever stronger anti-lead, but Meowth usually would rather just use an attack. Hypnosis can put Meowth's checks to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes this strategy unreliable; if Meowth fails to put its foe to sleep, it will likely be KOed due to its terrible bulk. Seed Bomb beats Chinchou and Tirtouga but struggles to find a use over Meowth's other moves. Icy Wind slows down Pokemon that threaten the rest of the team and hits Flying- and Ground-types like Vullaby and Drilbur super effectively. However, it's weak and, again, fights to see use over Meowth's other coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Pawniard, Magnemite, and Ferroseed can all easily take Meowth's moves and hit back hard. They have to watch out for Hidden Power Fighting or Fire, but these are generally rare moves on Meowth.

**Fighting-types**: Croagunk and Timburr both have access to Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch, respectively, beating Meowth before it can use Aerial Ace.

**Bulky Tanks**: Spritzee and Ferroseed can take a Fake Out and Feint combination with little trouble and are able to 2HKO Meowth back with their attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: Diglett, Elekid, and Choice Scarf users like Chinchou and Bunnelby can outspeed and KO Meowth. However, they take significant damage from Feint and should only try to revenge kill it after Fake Out has been used up. Choice Scarf Gastly, in particular, can ignore Fake Out and Feint and KO Meowth with Sludge Bomb.

Last edited:

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* I'd add here that its access to the tier's most powerful Fake Out gives it a notable offensive niche.
* Elaborate a little more on Meowth's 19 Speed. What common threats can it outpace?
* Give examples of common leads Meowth beats, and tell us what allows it to beat said leads.
* Elaborate a little more on your 4 move slot syndrome line (you can do this in saying that it keeps Meowth from hitting everything it wants to hit for good damage).
* Why exactly is it forced to run Life Orb? Elaborate a little (not very powerful without)

Set
* Meowth shouldn't be using a Naughty nature, it needs as much Speed as possible, especially if it isn't running Feint.

Moves
* Give examples of mons hit hard by Return and provide calcs.
* Give examples of pokes that Double Edge is able to secure OHKOs or 2HKOs on, since it really needs some more elaboration so readers understand its use over Return.
* You never mention Water Pulse in this section, but its an extremely important move on Meowth. Talk about the kinds of Pokemon it hits, give examples, and provide calcs (after Fake Out or Stealth Rock damage calcs are fine).
* Give examples of Ghost-types on your Knock Off line, and also change your wording in this line a bit. Instead of saying it provides added utility, just say that it can remove the items of foes and make them easier to break.
* U-turn isn't boosted by Technician, remove this info.

Set Details
* Say 'maximizes' instead of 'maxes out.' It sounds better this way.
* Remove your first line's Naughty nature mention and dedicate a new line under this section to running Naughty. Make sure to say this isn't preferred due to being outsped by *give examples*
* Reword your line about Hasty nature, as it should be the preferred nature once this is edited.
* Say something about its Special Defense investment. This can be as simple as 'The remaining EVs are invested in Special Defense in order to boost Meowth's Special Defense stat by one point.

Usage Tips
* Change the word 'alive' to 'healthy' in your third line.
* Say that if running Knock Off or U-turn, Meowth can use these moves on predicted switches to either cripple bulkier switch-ins or generate momentum.

Team Options
* Fighting-type checks absolutely need to be mentioned, as Timburr and Croagunk are real burdens to Meowth. Examples include Snubbull and Mudbray. I'd also add that Snubbull can use Thunder Wave to help Meowth outpace 19 Speed mons with a Naughty nature.
* I'd add Knock Off support if Meowth isn't running the move, as it helps it to break bulkier threats like Mareanie and Hippopotas to more success. Give examples of mons that commonly carry Knock Off.

Other Options
* Add in your Hypnosis line that Meowth's bulk also gives the move quite a bit of a risk factor.
* Mention drawbacks to Icy Wind. It is in Other Options after all.

Checks and Counters
* I'd add Faster Pokemon under this section. Diglett, Elekid and Choice Scarf users (give examples) all take heavy damage from Feint but can OHKO Meowth wit their STAB attacks due to its really poor bulk.
* Give more examples of tanks that don't have much trouble with Meowth, since one isn't enough. Also add that these mons have to be wary of Knock Off.
* Sorry, but you're going to have to remove the pun :/ as OP once said, no fun allowed here.

Implement these changes and give yourself 1/3

Gummy

Overview
* I'd add here that its access to the tier's most powerful Fake Out gives it a notable offensive niche.
* Elaborate a little more on Meowth's 19 Speed. What common threats can it outpace?
* Give examples of common leads Meowth beats, and tell us what allows it to beat said leads.
* Elaborate a little more on your 4 move slot syndrome line (you can do this in saying that it keeps Meowth from hitting everything it wants to hit for good damage).
* Why exactly is it forced to run Life Orb? Elaborate a little (not very powerful without)

Set
* Meowth shouldn't be using a Naughty nature, it needs as much Speed as possible, especially if it isn't running Feint.

Moves
* Give examples of mons hit hard by Return and provide calcs.
* Give examples of pokes that Double Edge is able to secure OHKOs or 2HKOs on, since it really needs some more elaboration so readers understand its use over Return.
* You never mention Water Pulse in this section, but its an extremely important move on Meowth. Talk about the kinds of Pokemon it hits, give examples, and provide calcs (after Fake Out or Stealth Rock damage calcs are fine).
* Give examples of Ghost-types on your Knock Off line, and also change your wording in this line a bit. Instead of saying it provides added utility, just say that it can remove the items of foes and make them easier to break.
* U-turn isn't boosted by Technician, remove this info.

Set Details
* Say 'maximizes' instead of 'maxes out.' It sounds better this way.
* Remove your first line's Naughty nature mention and dedicate a new line under this section to running Naughty. Make sure to say this isn't preferred due to being outsped by *give examples*
* Reword your line about Hasty nature, as it should be the preferred nature once this is edited.
* Say something about its Special Defense investment. This can be as simple as 'The remaining EVs are invested in Special Defense in order to boost Meowth's Special Defense stat by one point.

Usage Tips
* Change the word 'alive' to 'healthy' in your third line.
* Say that if running Knock Off or U-turn, Meowth can use these moves on predicted switches to either cripple bulkier switch-ins or generate momentum.

Team Options
* Fighting-type checks absolutely need to be mentioned, as Timburr and Croagunk are real burdens to Meowth. Examples include Snubbull and Mudbray. I'd also add that Snubbull can use Thunder Wave to help Meowth outpace 19 Speed mons with a Naughty nature.
* I'd add Knock Off support if Meowth isn't running the move, as it helps it to break bulkier threats like Mareanie and Hippopotas to more success. Give examples of mons that commonly carry Knock Off.

Other Options
* Add in your Hypnosis line that Meowth's bulk also gives the move quite a bit of a risk factor.
* Mention drawbacks to Icy Wind. It is in Other Options after all.

Checks and Counters
* I'd add Faster Pokemon under this section. Diglett, Elekid and Choice Scarf users (give examples) all take heavy damage from Feint but can OHKO Meowth wit their STAB attacks due to its really poor bulk.
* Give more examples of tanks that don't have much trouble with Meowth, since one isn't enough. Also add that these mons have to be wary of Knock Off.
* Sorry, but you're going to have to remove the pun :/ as OP once said, no fun allowed here.

Implement these changes and give yourself 1/3
Implemented. There were a few small things I didn't add; I slashed Hasty over Naughty, but I really do think that Naughty is viable, since all Meowth is doing is spamming priority and it outspeeds the things that it doesn't use priority against anyway (Onix, Mienfoo, etc). I've been running Naughty and the loss of a Speed point isn't that bad. The only thing you really lose is the ability to tie with Ponyta and Abra, but 1. you don't want to be physically hitting Ponyta anyway and 2. Abra dies to Fake Out + Feint. If that's a problem, tell me, and I'll remove it altogether. I also just took out Double-Edge because I think the cons outweigh the pros (more recoil, doesn't really KO anything that Fake Out + another move doesn't anyway).

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Its super powerful Fake Out should be the first or second point, as it's super important to Meowth's niche, as it makes it a great revenge killer
  • Mention that it's weak to common priority moves in Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave
  • Mention that Meowth's stronger Fake Out and better coverage give it a niche over Aipom
[SET]
ivs: 19 HP
  • I don't like Naughty enough to slash either. I did some calcs and the only even remotely notable change in calcs I could find was that Timburr usually goes down to Fake Out + Aerial Ace. That would be awesome, were it not that Meowth is never gonna get a change to Aerial Ace a Timburr unless it switches in on it, as Timburr just KOes Meowth after one round of LO damage or Stealth Rock damage. As such, deslash it. I think you can mention it in Set Details, but even that I'm not sure about tbh. I'll leave that up to you and the third QC check.
[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • There are much better calcs you can give for Return than Vulpix-A and Drilbur. They aren't irrelevant, but also not super important. Examples you can give are nearly always getting the 2HKO on offensive Vullaby and defensive Staryu after Stealth Rock.
  • Specifically mention that Fake Out breaks Sturdy on Dwebble and Onix, allowing Water Pulse to KO them.
  • Mention that U-turn is also a great way for Meowth to grab momentum, especially thanks to its great Speed.
  • I think Double-Edge should be mentioned here, as there are situations where Double-Edge gives you the power to KO something that it otherwise needs Fake Out to do so (very useful if it's not Meowth's first turn out). Examples include the OHKO onto LO Staryu. Fake Out -> Double-Edge also usually KOes Ponyta (no rocks needed), where Return misses out.
Set Details
========
  • If you decide to keep the Naughty mention, make clear that it rarely changes the damage and that it's not good to not outspeed things like Ponyta and speed tie Gastly/Doduo. It's especially bad if you're running Return > Feint, make this clear.
  • The SpA EVs have absolutely nothing to do with Meowth KOing Onix, remove this example.
  • Specifically mention which of Meowth's moves are powered up by Technician.
  • The last point is weird, as it suggest the Special Defense EVs give Meowth a point in both defenses and not just Special Defense. Reword this (also never abbreviate stats outside of EV spreads, so use Special Defense > SpD).
Usage Tips
========
  • Remove the mention of Naughty nature here, as it is no longer slashed.
Team Options
========
  • Snubbull can also Thunder Wave faster threats if Meowth is runnning Hasty (specifically Scarfers)
  • Mention that Knock Off users can also remove Choice Scarfers, allowing Meowth to outspeed and revenge kill them. Also mention examples of Knock Off users
  • Mention Pursuit trappers, especially if Meowth isn't running Knock Off, as they can trap and remove the Ghost-types that wall it. Examples are Alolan Grimer and Pawniard.
  • Mention that other Normal types like Aipom or Bunnelby share checks with Meowth, allowing them to wear them down together.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Mention that the NP set faces major competition from especially Alolan Meowth.
Checks and Counters
===================
  • There should be a blank line between each section
QC 2/3, write me up Scotty
QC Stamp final.gif

Gummy

Implemented and written up! I put Naughty into OO and re-added Double-Edge. Ready for QC 3/3!

amcheck, doesn't count as an official GP check unless stamped off by a GPer
ADD REMOVE COMMENTS
[OVERVIEW]

Meowth carves itself a niche in being an excellent revenge killer with its Fake Out + Feint combination, which is considerably powerful thanks to STAB combined with Technician. In tandem with Fake Out, Feint can take care of many sweepers without opposition, (AC) like Abra, Zigzagoon, and Carvahna Carvanha. Meowth also hits the coveted 19 Speed tier, allowing it to outpace almost the entire unboosted metagame, including threats like Mienfoo and Chinchou, (AC) and speed tying Speed tieing with Ponyta. It's an excellent anti-lead, able to reliably take care of Onix and Dwebble. Unfortunately, Meowth is beaten by common priority attacks like Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch. It suffers from 4 move-slot four-moveslot syndrome, as its it's unable to carry all the coverage it needs, forcing it to be vulnerable to at least one of its checks. It's also incredibly frail, (RC) and will usually get knocked out KOed if it can't KO what's in front of it. Meowth is forced to run Life Orb, as it's fairly weak without one. Finally, Meowth faces competition from Aipom, a bulkier Normal-type attacker with access to a stronger STAB attack in Fury Swipes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Technician and STAB factored in, Meowth's Fake Out hits a BP Base Power of 90 (also, it doesn't actually hit a base power of 90? base power refers to the actual move's power itself), making it the strongest Fake Out in LC. This can deal a hefty chunk of damage to an a opponent foe (opponent = opposing player) without them being able to do anything back. Feint is more reliable than Fake Out, as it works on any turn; it goes through Protect and is still boosted by STAB and Technician. However, Feint is weaker and doesn't have the flinch bonus that Fake Out does. Return is an option if you want more power, OHKOing Vulpix-Alola Alolan Vulpix and 2HKOing Staryu, (AC) and offensive variants of Vullaby after Stealth Rock. If you want to take full advantage of Meowth's power, you can run Double-Edge; however, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Double-Edge OHKOes Life Orb Staryu, and Fake Out + Double-Edge KOs KOes Ponyta. Water Pulse is an incredibly important move, KOing Dwebble and Onix after their Sturdies have Sturdy has been broken. It also KOs KOes other leads like Drilbur after a Fake Out. Aerial Ace is Meowth's best way of hitting Fighting-types; Fake Out into an Aerial Ace KOes Mienfoo. Knock Off is an option, letting Meowth remove items and soften up its foes. It also hits Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth like Gastly and Pumpkaboo. Finally, U-Turn U-turn lets Meowth do damage while switching and gain momentum, especially due to its great Speed.

Set Details
========

19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil to only 1 HP per turn. A Hasty nature allows Meowth to reach its maximum Speed at 19, outspeeding most of the unboosted metagame and tying tieing with Ponyta, Abra, and Staryu. 36 Special Attack EVs net the Water Pulse KO on Archen after a Fake Out. The combination of Technician and Life Orb boosts Meowth's power; Fake Out, Feint, Water Pulse, and Aerial Ace are all boosted by Technician. 19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil, and the 36 Special Defense EVs let Meowth take Grimer-Alola's Alolan Grimer's Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Meowth is an excellent anti-lead, able to beat Mienfoo and Onix, so leading with it is often a safe choice. If possible, try to scout whether or not the Onix is Weak Armor or Sturdy, as using Fake Out on the former is counterproductive. Don't switch it in on attacks if you can, however, as it is very frail and best suited to come in after a slow U-turn or as a revenge killer. Feint should be played to its strengths; for example, use it against common Protect users like Torchic and Carvanha. Keep Meowth healthy throughout the match, as its ability it's able to reliably deal high amounts of damage, which is valuable mid- to or late-game. If your team struggles against a certain sweeper, preserve Meowth so it can deal a large chunk of damage with its Fake Out and Feint. If you're running U-Turn U-turn or Knock Off, be sure to use them on predicted switches to keep up momentum.

Team Options
========

Meowth is best suited for hyper offensive teams that struggle to break through setup sweepers. Fighting-type checks are incredibly helpful to Meowth. Pokemon like Snubbull and Mudbray can threaten Timburr and Croagunk respectively. Slow, bulky Pokemon with moves like Volt Switch and U-turn help Meowth get in safely, which Meowth highly appreciates thanks to its low bulk. Examples include Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Magnemite. It's also very helpful to run a Pokemon that covers whatever weakness Meowth has from its missing coverage; for example, if you run U-turn over Aerial Ace, use a Fighting-type check like Spritzee. If you're not running Knock Off, Meowth appreciates Knock Off support. Without Eviolite, few Pokemon can take Meowth's STAB priority combo. Mienfoo and Pawniard both offer good Knock Off support. Pursuit-trappers Pursuit trappers like Pawniard and Grimer-Alola Alolan Grimer can remove Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth. Since Meowth is heavily walled by Pawniard, Pawniard checks like Mienfoo, Ponyta, and Timburr can help alleviate this weakness. Meowth appreciates entry hazard support to make Fake Out and Feint's KO chance higher. Pokemon like Onix, Archen, and Pawniard can set up their own rocks Stealth Rock. Finally, other Normal-types like Aipom, Doduo, and Bunnelby share checks with Meowth, allowing them to all wear down their checks together.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Nasty Plot set using Round can be run, but since Meowth generally has a hard time finding times to set up and the Fake Out + Feint combo is so powerful, it struggles to find use over other special attackers like Nasty Plot Vullaby or Meowth-Alola Alolan Meowth. Meowth can run a Naughty nature to fully maximize its Attack, but the loss of a Speed point is huge and this nature doesn't help Meowth secure any notable KOs. Hidden Power Fighting gives Meowth a far better matchup against Pawniard, but its other coverage options are generally more helpful. Taunt makes Meowth an ever stronger anti-lead, but Meowth usually would rather just click an attack. Hypnosis can put Meowth's checks to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes this strategy unreliable. If Meowth fails to put its foe to sleep, it will likely be knocked out KOed due to its terrible bulk. Seed Bomb beats Chinchou and Tirtouga, but struggles to find use over Meowth's other moves. Icy Wind slows down Pokemon that threaten the rest of the team, as well as hit hits Flying- and Ground-types supereffectively super effectively like Vullaby and Drilbur. However, it's weak and, again, fights to see use over Meowth's other coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Pawniard, Magnemite, and Ferroseed can all easily take Meowth's moves and hit back hard. They have to watch out for HP Hidden Power Fighting or Fire, but these are generally rare moves on Meowth.

**Fighting-types**: Croagunk and Timburr both have access to Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch, respectively, beating Meowth to the punch before it can use Aerial Ace.

**Bulky Tanks**: Spritzee and Ferroseed can take a Fake Out and Feint combination with little trouble and are able to 2HKO Meowth back with their attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: Diglett, Elekid, and Choice Scarf users like Chinchou and Bunnelby can outspeed and KO Meowth. However, they take significant damage from Feint and should only try to revenge kill after Fake Out has been used up. Choice Scarf Gastly, in particular, can ignore Fake Out and Feint and KO with Sludge Bomb.

Gummy

amcheck, doesn't count as an official GP check unless stamped off by a GPer
ADD REMOVE COMMENTS
[OVERVIEW]

Meowth carves itself a niche in being an excellent revenge killer with its Fake Out + Feint combination, which is considerably powerful thanks to STAB combined with Technician. In tandem with Fake Out, Feint can take care of many sweepers without opposition, (AC) like Abra, Zigzagoon, and Carvahna Carvanha. Meowth also hits the coveted 19 Speed tier, allowing it to outpace almost the entire unboosted metagame, including threats like Mienfoo and Chinchou, (AC) and speed tying Speed tieing with Ponyta. It's an excellent anti-lead, able to reliably take care of Onix and Dwebble. Unfortunately, Meowth is beaten by common priority attacks like Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch. It suffers from 4 move-slot four-moveslot syndrome, as its it's unable to carry all the coverage it needs, forcing it to be vulnerable to at least one of its checks. It's also incredibly frail, (RC) and will usually get knocked out KOed if it can't KO what's in front of it. Meowth is forced to run Life Orb, as it's fairly weak without one. Finally, Meowth faces competition from Aipom, a bulkier Normal-type attacker with access to a stronger STAB attack in Fury Swipes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Technician and STAB factored in, Meowth's Fake Out hits a BP Base Power of 90 (also, it doesn't actually hit a base power of 90? base power refers to the actual move's power itself), making it the strongest Fake Out in LC. This can deal a hefty chunk of damage to an a opponent foe (opponent = opposing player) without them being able to do anything back. Feint is more reliable than Fake Out, as it works on any turn; it goes through Protect and is still boosted by STAB and Technician. However, Feint is weaker and doesn't have the flinch bonus that Fake Out does. Return is an option if you want more power, OHKOing Vulpix-Alola Alolan Vulpix and 2HKOing Staryu, (AC) and offensive variants of Vullaby after Stealth Rock. If you want to take full advantage of Meowth's power, you can run Double-Edge; however, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Double-Edge OHKOes Life Orb Staryu, and Fake Out + Double-Edge KOs KOes Ponyta. Water Pulse is an incredibly important move, KOing Dwebble and Onix after their Sturdies have Sturdy has been broken. It also KOs KOes other leads like Drilbur after a Fake Out. Aerial Ace is Meowth's best way of hitting Fighting-types; Fake Out into an Aerial Ace KOes Mienfoo. Knock Off is an option, letting Meowth remove items and soften up its foes. It also hits Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth like Gastly and Pumpkaboo. Finally, U-Turn U-turn lets Meowth do damage while switching and gain momentum, especially due to its great Speed.

Set Details
========

19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil to only 1 HP per turn. A Hasty nature allows Meowth to reach its maximum Speed at 19, outspeeding most of the unboosted metagame and tying tieing with Ponyta, Abra, and Staryu. 36 Special Attack EVs net the Water Pulse KO on Archen after a Fake Out. The combination of Technician and Life Orb boosts Meowth's power; Fake Out, Feint, Water Pulse, and Aerial Ace are all boosted by Technician. 19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil, and the 36 Special Defense EVs let Meowth take Grimer-Alola's Alolan Grimer's Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Meowth is an excellent anti-lead, able to beat Mienfoo and Onix, so leading with it is often a safe choice. If possible, try to scout whether or not the Onix is Weak Armor or Sturdy, as using Fake Out on the former is counterproductive. Don't switch it in on attacks if you can, however, as it is very frail and best suited to come in after a slow U-turn or as a revenge killer. Feint should be played to its strengths; for example, use it against common Protect users like Torchic and Carvanha. Keep Meowth healthy throughout the match, as its ability it's able to reliably deal high amounts of damage, which is valuable mid- to or late-game. If your team struggles against a certain sweeper, preserve Meowth so it can deal a large chunk of damage with its Fake Out and Feint. If you're running U-Turn U-turn or Knock Off, be sure to use them on predicted switches to keep up momentum.

Team Options
========

Meowth is best suited for hyper offensive teams that struggle to break through setup sweepers. Fighting-type checks are incredibly helpful to Meowth. Pokemon like Snubbull and Mudbray can threaten Timburr and Croagunk respectively. Slow, bulky Pokemon with moves like Volt Switch and U-turn help Meowth get in safely, which Meowth highly appreciates thanks to its low bulk. Examples include Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Magnemite. It's also very helpful to run a Pokemon that covers whatever weakness Meowth has from its missing coverage; for example, if you run U-turn over Aerial Ace, use a Fighting-type check like Spritzee. If you're not running Knock Off, Meowth appreciates Knock Off support. Without Eviolite, few Pokemon can take Meowth's STAB priority combo. Mienfoo and Pawniard both offer good Knock Off support. Pursuit-trappers Pursuit trappers like Pawniard and Grimer-Alola Alolan Grimer can remove Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth. Since Meowth is heavily walled by Pawniard, Pawniard checks like Mienfoo, Ponyta, and Timburr can help alleviate this weakness. Meowth appreciates entry hazard support to make Fake Out and Feint's KO chance higher. Pokemon like Onix, Archen, and Pawniard can set up their own rocks Stealth Rock. Finally, other Normal-types like Aipom, Doduo, and Bunnelby share checks with Meowth, allowing them to all wear down their checks together.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Nasty Plot set using Round can be run, but since Meowth generally has a hard time finding times to set up and the Fake Out + Feint combo is so powerful, it struggles to find use over other special attackers like Nasty Plot Vullaby or Meowth-Alola Alolan Meowth. Meowth can run a Naughty nature to fully maximize its Attack, but the loss of a Speed point is huge and this nature doesn't help Meowth secure any notable KOs. Hidden Power Fighting gives Meowth a far better matchup against Pawniard, but its other coverage options are generally more helpful. Taunt makes Meowth an ever stronger anti-lead, but Meowth usually would rather just click an attack. Hypnosis can put Meowth's checks to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes this strategy unreliable. If Meowth fails to put its foe to sleep, it will likely be knocked out KOed due to its terrible bulk. Seed Bomb beats Chinchou and Tirtouga, but struggles to find use over Meowth's other moves. Icy Wind slows down Pokemon that threaten the rest of the team, as well as hit hits Flying- and Ground-types supereffectively super effectively like Vullaby and Drilbur. However, it's weak and, again, fights to see use over Meowth's other coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Pawniard, Magnemite, and Ferroseed can all easily take Meowth's moves and hit back hard. They have to watch out for HP Hidden Power Fighting or Fire, but these are generally rare moves on Meowth.

**Fighting-types**: Croagunk and Timburr both have access to Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch, respectively, beating Meowth to the punch before it can use Aerial Ace.

**Faster Pokemon**: Diglett, Elekid, and Choice Scarf users like Chinchou and Bunnelby can outspeed and KO Meowth. However, they take significant damage from Feint and should only try to revenge kill after Fake Out has been used up. Choice Scarf Gastly, in particular, can ignore Fake Out and Feint and KO with Sludge Bomb.
Implemented most of it, thanks for the amcheck!

Reactions: Wob

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
gj DeathByWobbuffet :)
GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]

Meowth carves itself a niche in being as an excellent revenge killer with its Fake Out + Feint combination, which is considerably powerful thanks to STAB combined with Technician. In tandem with Fake Out, Feint can take care of many sweepers like Abra, Zigzagoon, and Carvanha without opposition. Meowth also hits the coveted 19 Speed tier, allowing it to outpace almost the entire unboosted metagame, including threats like Mienfoo and Chinchou, (AC) and Speed tying with Ponyta. It's also an excellent anti-lead, able to reliably take care of Onix and Dwebble. Unfortunately, Meowth is beaten by common priority attacks like Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch. It suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it's unable to carry all the coverage it needs, forcing it to be vulnerable to at least one of its checks. It's also incredibly frail and will usually get knocked out if it can't KO what's in front of it. Meowth is forced to run Life Orb, as it's fairly weak without one. Finally, Meowth faces competition from Aipom, a bulkier Normal-type attacker with access to a stronger STAB attack in Fury Swipes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Technician and STAB factored in, Meowth's Fake Out hits a Base Power of 90, making it the strongest Fake Out in LC. This can deal a hefty chunk of damage to a foe without them being able to do anything back. Feint is more reliable than Fake Out, as it works on any turn; it goes through Protect and is still boosted by STAB and Technician. However, Feint is weaker and doesn't have the flinch bonus that Fake Out does. Return is an option if you want more power, OHKOing Alolan Vulpix, 2HKOing Staryu, and 2HKOing offensive variants of Vullaby after Stealth Rock. If you want to take full advantage of Meowth's power, you can run Double-Edge; however, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Double-Edge it OHKOes Life Orb Staryu, and Fake Out + Double-Edge KOes Ponyta. However, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Water Pulse is an incredibly important move, KOing Dwebble and Onix after their Sturdy has been broken. It also KOes other leads like Drilbur after a Fake Out. Aerial Ace is Meowth's best way of hitting Fighting-types; Fake Out into an Aerial Ace KOes Mienfoo. Knock Off is an option, letting Meowth remove items and soften up its foes. It also hits Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth like Gastly and Pumpkaboo. Finally, U-turn lets Meowth do damage while switching and gain momentum, especially due to its great Speed.

Set Details
========

19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil to only 1 HP per turn. A Hasty nature allows Meowth to reach its maximum Speed at 19, outspeeding most of the unboosted metagame and tying with Ponyta, Abra, and Staryu. 36 Special Attack EVs net the Water Pulse KO on Archen after a Fake Out. The combination of Technician and Life Orb boosts Meowth's power; Fake Out, Feint, Water Pulse, and Aerial Ace are all boosted by Technician. 19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil, and the 36 Special Defense EVs let Meowth take Alolan Grimer's Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Meowth is an excellent anti-lead, able to beat Mienfoo and Onix, so leading with it is often a safe choice. If possible, try to scout whether the Onix is Weak Armor or Sturdy, as using Fake Out on the former is counterproductive. Don't switch it in on attacks if you can, however, as it is very frail and best suited to come in after a slow U-turn or as a revenge killer. Feint should be played to its strengths; for example, use it against common Protect users like Torchic and Carvanha. Keep Meowth healthy throughout the match, as its ability it's able to reliably deal high amounts of damage, which is valuable mid- or late-game. If your team struggles against a certain sweeper, preserve Meowth so it can deal a large chunk of damage with its Fake Out and Feint. If you're running U-turn or Knock Off, be sure to use them on predicted switches to keep up momentum.

Team Options
========

Meowth is best suited for hyper offensive teams that struggle to break through setup sweepers. Fighting-type checks are incredibly helpful to Meowth. Pokemon like Snubbull and Mudbray can threaten Timburr and Croagunk, (AC) respectively. Slow, bulky Pokemon with moves like Volt Switch and U-turn help Meowth get in safely, which Meowth highly appreciates thanks to its low bulk. Examples include Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Magnemite. It's also very helpful to run a Pokemon that covers whatever weakness Meowth has from its missing coverage; for example, if you run U-turn over Aerial Ace, use a Fighting-type check like Spritzee. If you're not running Knock Off, Meowth appreciates Knock Off support. Without Eviolite, few Pokemon can take Meowth's STAB priority combination. Mienfoo and Pawniard both offer good Knock Off support. Pursuit trappers like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer can remove Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth. Since Meowth is heavily walled by Pawniard, Pawniard checks like Mienfoo, Ponyta, and Timburr can help alleviate this weakness. Meowth appreciates entry hazard support to make Fake Out and Feint's KO chance higher. Pokemon like Onix, Archen, and Pawniard can set up Stealth Rock. Finally, other Normal-types like Aipom, Doduo, and Bunnelby share checks with Meowth, allowing them to all wear down their checks together.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Nasty Plot set using Round can be run, but since Meowth generally has a hard time finding times to set up and the Fake Out + Feint combination is so powerful, it struggles to find use over other special attackers like Nasty Plot Vullaby or Alolan Meowth. Meowth can run a Naughty nature to fully maximize its Attack, but the loss of a Speed point is huge and this nature doesn't help Meowth secure any notable KOs. Hidden Power Fighting gives Meowth a far better matchup against Pawniard, but its other coverage options are generally more helpful. Taunt makes Meowth an ever stronger anti-lead, but Meowth usually would rather just click an attack. Hypnosis can put Meowth's checks to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes this strategy unreliable. If Meowth fails to put its foe to sleep, it will likely be KOed due to its terrible bulk. Seed Bomb beats Chinchou and Tirtouga, (RC) but struggles to find use over Meowth's other moves. Icy Wind slows down Pokemon that threaten the rest of the team, as well as and hits Flying- and Ground-types super effectively like Vullaby and Drilbur super effectively. However, it's weak and, again, fights to see use over Meowth's other coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Pawniard, Magnemite, and Ferroseed can all easily take Meowth's moves and hit back hard. They have to watch out for Hidden Power Fighting or Fire, but these are generally rare moves on Meowth.

**Fighting-types**: Croagunk and Timburr both have access to Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch, respectively, beating Meowth before it can use Aerial Ace.

**Faster Pokemon**: Diglett, Elekid, and Choice Scarf users like Chinchou and Bunnelby can outspeed and KO Meowth. However, they take significant damage from Feint and should only try to revenge kill it after Fake Out has been used up. Choice Scarf Gastly, in particular, can ignore Fake Out and Feint and KO with Sludge Bomb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wob

Gummy

gj DeathByWobbuffet :)
GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]

Meowth carves itself a niche in being as an excellent revenge killer with its Fake Out + Feint combination, which is considerably powerful thanks to STAB combined with Technician. In tandem with Fake Out, Feint can take care of many sweepers like Abra, Zigzagoon, and Carvanha without opposition. Meowth also hits the coveted 19 Speed tier, allowing it to outpace almost the entire unboosted metagame, including threats like Mienfoo and Chinchou, (AC) and Speed tying with Ponyta. It's also an excellent anti-lead, able to reliably take care of Onix and Dwebble. Unfortunately, Meowth is beaten by common priority attacks like Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch. It suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it's unable to carry all the coverage it needs, forcing it to be vulnerable to at least one of its checks. It's also incredibly frail and will usually get knocked out if it can't KO what's in front of it. Meowth is forced to run Life Orb, as it's fairly weak without one. Finally, Meowth faces competition from Aipom, a bulkier Normal-type attacker with access to a stronger STAB attack in Fury Swipes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Technician and STAB factored in, Meowth's Fake Out hits a Base Power of 90, making it the strongest Fake Out in LC. This can deal a hefty chunk of damage to a foe without them being able to do anything back. Feint is more reliable than Fake Out, as it works on any turn; it goes through Protect and is still boosted by STAB and Technician. However, Feint is weaker and doesn't have the flinch bonus that Fake Out does. Return is an option if you want more power, OHKOing Alolan Vulpix, 2HKOing Staryu, and 2HKOing offensive variants of Vullaby after Stealth Rock. If you want to take full advantage of Meowth's power, you can run Double-Edge; however, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Double-Edge it OHKOes Life Orb Staryu, and Fake Out + Double-Edge KOes Ponyta. However, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Water Pulse is an incredibly important move, KOing Dwebble and Onix after their Sturdy has been broken. It also KOes other leads like Drilbur after a Fake Out. Aerial Ace is Meowth's best way of hitting Fighting-types; Fake Out into an Aerial Ace KOes Mienfoo. Knock Off is an option, letting Meowth remove items and soften up its foes. It also hits Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth like Gastly and Pumpkaboo. Finally, U-turn lets Meowth do damage while switching and gain momentum, especially due to its great Speed.

Set Details
========

19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil to only 1 HP per turn. A Hasty nature allows Meowth to reach its maximum Speed at 19, outspeeding most of the unboosted metagame and tying with Ponyta, Abra, and Staryu. 36 Special Attack EVs net the Water Pulse KO on Archen after a Fake Out. The combination of Technician and Life Orb boosts Meowth's power; Fake Out, Feint, Water Pulse, and Aerial Ace are all boosted by Technician. 19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil, and the 36 Special Defense EVs let Meowth take Alolan Grimer's Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Meowth is an excellent anti-lead, able to beat Mienfoo and Onix, so leading with it is often a safe choice. If possible, try to scout whether the Onix is Weak Armor or Sturdy, as using Fake Out on the former is counterproductive. Don't switch it in on attacks if you can, however, as it is very frail and best suited to come in after a slow U-turn or as a revenge killer. Feint should be played to its strengths; for example, use it against common Protect users like Torchic and Carvanha. Keep Meowth healthy throughout the match, as its ability it's able to reliably deal high amounts of damage, which is valuable mid- or late-game. If your team struggles against a certain sweeper, preserve Meowth so it can deal a large chunk of damage with its Fake Out and Feint. If you're running U-turn or Knock Off, be sure to use them on predicted switches to keep up momentum.

Team Options
========

Meowth is best suited for hyper offensive teams that struggle to break through setup sweepers. Fighting-type checks are incredibly helpful to Meowth. Pokemon like Snubbull and Mudbray can threaten Timburr and Croagunk, (AC) respectively. Slow, bulky Pokemon with moves like Volt Switch and U-turn help Meowth get in safely, which Meowth highly appreciates thanks to its low bulk. Examples include Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Magnemite. It's also very helpful to run a Pokemon that covers whatever weakness Meowth has from its missing coverage; for example, if you run U-turn over Aerial Ace, use a Fighting-type check like Spritzee. If you're not running Knock Off, Meowth appreciates Knock Off support. Without Eviolite, few Pokemon can take Meowth's STAB priority combination. Mienfoo and Pawniard both offer good Knock Off support. Pursuit trappers like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer can remove Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth. Since Meowth is heavily walled by Pawniard, Pawniard checks like Mienfoo, Ponyta, and Timburr can help alleviate this weakness. Meowth appreciates entry hazard support to make Fake Out and Feint's KO chance higher. Pokemon like Onix, Archen, and Pawniard can set up Stealth Rock. Finally, other Normal-types like Aipom, Doduo, and Bunnelby share checks with Meowth, allowing them to all wear down their checks together.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Nasty Plot set using Round can be run, but since Meowth generally has a hard time finding times to set up and the Fake Out + Feint combination is so powerful, it struggles to find use over other special attackers like Nasty Plot Vullaby or Alolan Meowth. Meowth can run a Naughty nature to fully maximize its Attack, but the loss of a Speed point is huge and this nature doesn't help Meowth secure any notable KOs. Hidden Power Fighting gives Meowth a far better matchup against Pawniard, but its other coverage options are generally more helpful. Taunt makes Meowth an ever stronger anti-lead, but Meowth usually would rather just click an attack. Hypnosis can put Meowth's checks to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes this strategy unreliable. If Meowth fails to put its foe to sleep, it will likely be KOed due to its terrible bulk. Seed Bomb beats Chinchou and Tirtouga, (RC) but struggles to find use over Meowth's other moves. Icy Wind slows down Pokemon that threaten the rest of the team, as well as and hits Flying- and Ground-types super effectively like Vullaby and Drilbur super effectively. However, it's weak and, again, fights to see use over Meowth's other coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Diglett, Elekid, and Choice Scarf users like Chinchou and Bunnelby can outspeed and KO Meowth. However, they take significant damage from Feint and should only try to revenge kill it after Fake Out has been used up. Choice Scarf Gastly, in particular, can ignore Fake Out and Feint and KO with Sludge Bomb.
Implemented, thanks! Ready for the final GP :D

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Meowth carves itself a niche as an excellent revenge killer with its Fake Out + Feint combination, which is considerably powerful thanks to STAB combined with Technician. In tandem with Fake Out, Feint can take care of many sweepers like Abra, Zigzagoon, and Carvanha without opposition. Meowth also hits the coveted 19 Speed tier, allowing it to outpace almost the entire unboosted metagame, including threats like Mienfoo and Chinchou, and Speed tying with Ponyta. It's also an excellent anti-lead,(RC) that is able to reliably take care of Onix and Dwebble. Unfortunately, Meowth is beaten by common priority attacks like Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch. It suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it's unable to carry all the coverage it needs, forcing it to be vulnerable to at least one of its checks. It's also incredibly frail and will usually get knocked out if it can't KO what's in front of it. Meowth is forced to run Life Orb, as it's fairly weak without one. Finally, Meowth faces competition from Aipom, a bulkier Normal-type attacker with access to a stronger STAB attack in Fury Swipes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Technician and STAB factored in, Meowth's Fake Out hits a Base Power of 90, making it the strongest Fake Out in LC. This can deal a hefty chunk of damage to a foe without them being able to do anything back. Feint is more reliable than Fake Out, as it works on any turn; it goes through Protect and is still boosted by STAB and Technician. However, Feint is weaker and doesn't have the flinch bonus that Fake Out does. Return is an option if you want for more power, OHKOing Alolan Vulpix, 2HKOing Staryu, and 2HKOing offensive variants of Vullaby after Stealth Rock. If you want to take full advantage of Meowth's power, you can run Double-Edge; it OHKOes Life Orb Staryu, and Fake Out + Double-Edge KOes Ponyta. However, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Water Pulse is an incredibly important move, KOing Dwebble and Onix after their Sturdy has been broken. It also KOes other leads like Drilbur after a Fake Out. Aerial Ace is Meowth's best way of hitting Fighting-types; Fake Out into an Aerial Ace KOes Mienfoo. Knock Off is an option, letting Meowth remove items and soften up its foes. It also hits Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth like Gastly and Pumpkaboo. Finally, U-turn lets Meowth do damage while switching and gain momentum, especially due to its great Speed.

Set Details
========

19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil to only 1 HP per turn. A Hasty nature allows Meowth to reach its maximum Speed at 19, outspeeding most of the unboosted metagame and Speed tying with Ponyta, Abra, and Staryu. 36 Special Attack EVs net the Water Pulse KO on Archen after a Fake Out. The combination of Technician and Life Orb boosts Meowth's power; Fake Out, Feint, Water Pulse, and Aerial Ace are all boosted by Technician. 19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil, and the (this was said already) 36 Special Defense EVs let Meowth take Alolan Grimer's Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Meowth is an excellent anti-lead,(RC) that is able to beat Mienfoo and Onix, so leading with it is often a safe choice. If possible, try to scout whether the Onix is Weak Armor or Sturdy, as using Fake Out on the former is counterproductive. Don't switch it Meowth in on attacks if you can, however, as it is very frail and best suited to come in after a slow U-turn or as a revenge killer. Feint should be played to its strengths; for example, use it against common Protect users like Torchic and Carvanha. Keep Meowth healthy throughout the match, as its ability to reliably deal high amounts of damage is valuable mid- or and late-game. If your team struggles against a certain sweeper, preserve Meowth so it can deal a large chunk of damage with its Fake Out and Feint. If you're running U-turn or Knock Off, be sure to use them on predicted switches to keep up momentum.

Team Options
========

Meowth is best suited for hyper offensive teams that struggle to break through setup sweepers. Fighting-type checks are incredibly helpful to Meowth. Pokemon like Snubbull and Mudbray can threaten Timburr and Croagunk, respectively. Slow, bulky Pokemon with moves like Volt Switch and U-turn help Meowth get in safely, which Meowth highly appreciates thanks to its low bulk. Examples include Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Magnemite. It's also very helpful to run a Pokemon that covers whatever weakness Meowth has from its missing coverage; for example, if you run U-turn over Aerial Ace, use a Fighting-type check like Spritzee. If you're not running Knock Off, Meowth appreciates Knock Off support;(add semicolon).(remove period) without Eviolite, few Pokemon can take Meowth's STAB priority combination. Mienfoo and Pawniard both offer good Knock Off support. Pursuit trappers like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer can remove Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth. Since Meowth is heavily walled by Pawniard, Pawniard checks like Mienfoo, Ponyta, and Timburr can help alleviate this weakness. Meowth appreciates entry hazard support to make Fake Out and Feint's KO chance higher. Pokemon like Onix, Archen, and Pawniard can set up Stealth Rock. Finally, other Normal-types like Aipom, Doduo, and Bunnelby share checks with Meowth, allowing them to all wear down their checks together.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Nasty Plot set using Round can be run, but since Meowth generally has a hard time finding times to set up,(AC) and the Fake Out + Feint combination is so powerful, it struggles to find use over other special attackers like Nasty Plot Vullaby or Alolan Meowth. Meowth can run a Naughty nature to fully maximize its Attack, but the loss of a Speed point is huge,(AC) and this nature doesn't help Meowth secure any notable KOs. Hidden Power Fighting gives Meowth a far better matchup against Pawniard, but its other coverage options are generally more helpful. Taunt makes Meowth an ever stronger anti-lead, but Meowth usually would rather just click use an attack. Hypnosis can put Meowth's checks to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes this strategy unreliable;(add semicolon).(remove period) if Meowth fails to put its foe to sleep, it will likely be KOed due to its terrible bulk. Seed Bomb beats Chinchou and Tirtouga but struggles to find a use over Meowth's other moves. Icy Wind slows down Pokemon that threaten the rest of the team and hits Flying- and Ground-types like Vullaby and Drilbur super effectively. However, it's weak and, again, fights to see use over Meowth's other coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Diglett, Elekid, and Choice Scarf users like Chinchou and Bunnelby can outspeed and KO Meowth. However, they take significant damage from Feint and should only try to revenge kill it after Fake Out has been used up. Choice Scarf Gastly, in particular, can ignore Fake Out and Feint and KO Meowth with Sludge Bomb.
GP 2/2

Gummy

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Meowth carves itself a niche as an excellent revenge killer with its Fake Out + Feint combination, which is considerably powerful thanks to STAB combined with Technician. In tandem with Fake Out, Feint can take care of many sweepers like Abra, Zigzagoon, and Carvanha without opposition. Meowth also hits the coveted 19 Speed tier, allowing it to outpace almost the entire unboosted metagame, including threats like Mienfoo and Chinchou, and Speed tying with Ponyta. It's also an excellent anti-lead,(RC) that is able to reliably take care of Onix and Dwebble. Unfortunately, Meowth is beaten by common priority attacks like Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch. It suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, as it's unable to carry all the coverage it needs, forcing it to be vulnerable to at least one of its checks. It's also incredibly frail and will usually get knocked out if it can't KO what's in front of it. Meowth is forced to run Life Orb, as it's fairly weak without one. Finally, Meowth faces competition from Aipom, a bulkier Normal-type attacker with access to a stronger STAB attack in Fury Swipes.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With Technician and STAB factored in, Meowth's Fake Out hits a Base Power of 90, making it the strongest Fake Out in LC. This can deal a hefty chunk of damage to a foe without them being able to do anything back. Feint is more reliable than Fake Out, as it works on any turn; it goes through Protect and is still boosted by STAB and Technician. However, Feint is weaker and doesn't have the flinch bonus that Fake Out does. Return is an option if you want for more power, OHKOing Alolan Vulpix, 2HKOing Staryu, and 2HKOing offensive variants of Vullaby after Stealth Rock. If you want to take full advantage of Meowth's power, you can run Double-Edge; it OHKOes Life Orb Staryu, and Fake Out + Double-Edge KOes Ponyta. However, this wears down Meowth very quickly in tandem with Life Orb recoil. Water Pulse is an incredibly important move, KOing Dwebble and Onix after their Sturdy has been broken. It also KOes other leads like Drilbur after a Fake Out. Aerial Ace is Meowth's best way of hitting Fighting-types; Fake Out into an Aerial Ace KOes Mienfoo. Knock Off is an option, letting Meowth remove items and soften up its foes. It also hits Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth like Gastly and Pumpkaboo. Finally, U-turn lets Meowth do damage while switching and gain momentum, especially due to its great Speed.

Set Details
========

19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil to only 1 HP per turn. A Hasty nature allows Meowth to reach its maximum Speed at 19, outspeeding most of the unboosted metagame and Speed tying with Ponyta, Abra, and Staryu. 36 Special Attack EVs net the Water Pulse KO on Archen after a Fake Out. The combination of Technician and Life Orb boosts Meowth's power; Fake Out, Feint, Water Pulse, and Aerial Ace are all boosted by Technician. 19 HP IVs should be run to minimize Life Orb recoil, and the (this was said already) 36 Special Defense EVs let Meowth take Alolan Grimer's Fire Blast.

Usage Tips
========

Meowth is an excellent anti-lead,(RC) that is able to beat Mienfoo and Onix, so leading with it is often a safe choice. If possible, try to scout whether the Onix is Weak Armor or Sturdy, as using Fake Out on the former is counterproductive. Don't switch it Meowth in on attacks if you can, however, as it is very frail and best suited to come in after a slow U-turn or as a revenge killer. Feint should be played to its strengths; for example, use it against common Protect users like Torchic and Carvanha. Keep Meowth healthy throughout the match, as its ability to reliably deal high amounts of damage is valuable mid- or and late-game. If your team struggles against a certain sweeper, preserve Meowth so it can deal a large chunk of damage with its Fake Out and Feint. If you're running U-turn or Knock Off, be sure to use them on predicted switches to keep up momentum.

Team Options
========

Meowth is best suited for hyper offensive teams that struggle to break through setup sweepers. Fighting-type checks are incredibly helpful to Meowth. Pokemon like Snubbull and Mudbray can threaten Timburr and Croagunk, respectively. Slow, bulky Pokemon with moves like Volt Switch and U-turn help Meowth get in safely, which Meowth highly appreciates thanks to its low bulk. Examples include Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Magnemite. It's also very helpful to run a Pokemon that covers whatever weakness Meowth has from its missing coverage; for example, if you run U-turn over Aerial Ace, use a Fighting-type check like Spritzee. If you're not running Knock Off, Meowth appreciates Knock Off support;(add semicolon).(remove period) without Eviolite, few Pokemon can take Meowth's STAB priority combination. Mienfoo and Pawniard both offer good Knock Off support. Pursuit trappers like Pawniard and Alolan Grimer can remove Ghost-types that otherwise wall Meowth. Since Meowth is heavily walled by Pawniard, Pawniard checks like Mienfoo, Ponyta, and Timburr can help alleviate this weakness. Meowth appreciates entry hazard support to make Fake Out and Feint's KO chance higher. Pokemon like Onix, Archen, and Pawniard can set up Stealth Rock. Finally, other Normal-types like Aipom, Doduo, and Bunnelby share checks with Meowth, allowing them to all wear down their checks together.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Nasty Plot set using Round can be run, but since Meowth generally has a hard time finding times to set up,(AC) and the Fake Out + Feint combination is so powerful, it struggles to find use over other special attackers like Nasty Plot Vullaby or Alolan Meowth. Meowth can run a Naughty nature to fully maximize its Attack, but the loss of a Speed point is huge,(AC) and this nature doesn't help Meowth secure any notable KOs. Hidden Power Fighting gives Meowth a far better matchup against Pawniard, but its other coverage options are generally more helpful. Taunt makes Meowth an ever stronger anti-lead, but Meowth usually would rather just click use an attack. Hypnosis can put Meowth's checks to sleep, but its terrible accuracy makes this strategy unreliable;(add semicolon).(remove period) if Meowth fails to put its foe to sleep, it will likely be KOed due to its terrible bulk. Seed Bomb beats Chinchou and Tirtouga but struggles to find a use over Meowth's other moves. Icy Wind slows down Pokemon that threaten the rest of the team and hits Flying- and Ground-types like Vullaby and Drilbur super effectively. However, it's weak and, again, fights to see use over Meowth's other coverage moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

GP 2/2
Implemented and ready to be uploaded. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)