Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
You can easily wall most mons by just switching out, cause you just need to be immune/heavily resist 1 move. Therefore there will be a lot of double switches and mindgames.

Looks interesting! Though most people wont find it attractive at all, which is a problem since that means that the metagame wont make it to the metagame's month.

I will make some sets

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay/ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil/ Blizzard/Freeze Dry

Chip hail damage + veil.

Trevenant @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed

I dont know if this is good, but on a sun team this might be hard to KO (Pinch restore berries are nerfed to 33% in gen 8). Note that switching into a grass mon will give you momentum with fire boosted attacks on sun

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet/ Choice scarf
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn

You can get a lot of hazzard control with this. Maybe worthwile if you plan on adding shedinja to your team (with safety googles). Maybe minimize speed is better, but maximize if scarf.

Also, i think Arena trap isnt banned yet in gen 8, you would have to include it to the banlist definetevely.
i forgot to add arena trap, thanks, we had it banned last gen

We have used xatu quite a bit, however through lots of metagame testing, we determined that U-turn is not efficient, as they can just stay in and use the hazard again (Something like Toxic or Heat Wave could be very nice though). The Ninetales set and Screens in general have a significant problem, being that you may not get a lot of use out of them due to the numerous switches. In Standard, screens are typically used to aid set up sweepers, which for obvious reasons do not exist in this meta. Ninetales also falls victim to the omnipresent stealth rocks.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
One Moveslot Syndrome / OMSS

Metagame premise
: All Pokemon can only use 1 move.
Potential bans and threats:

Bans: Marshadow, Kyurem Black, Heavy Duty Boots, Spikes, Regenerator, Choice Band, Choice Specs

Unbans: Aegislash, Dynamax

Big Threats:
Tier 1: Kommo-o (Kommo-o is currently the strongest Pokemon in the meta, due to its strong typing, high bulk, and access to STAB Body Press, which has 16 PP. These traits in addition to Kommo-o's resistance to Stealth Rock allows it to be both a powerful defensive and offensive presence), Tyranitar (Tyranitar has been the metagame's premier stealth rocker since early gen7, as its access to Sand Stream allows it to be one of the best special walls in the meta, as well as deal significant chip damage to foes such as Kommo-o, Weezing-G, and Obstagoon), Dracovish (Even though Water absorb users and kommo-o are prevalent, it can be hard to switch in on a Fishious Rend), Obstagoon (Guts boosted Knock Offs can even threaten Pokemon such as Protective Pads Kommo-o and Eject Pack Sirfetch'd), Copperajah (G-Max) (As Defog and Rapid Spin tend to not be very common, G-Max's access to it's unique entry hazard can give it immense presence), Corviknight (Pressure is an incredible tool in this meta, and access to Body Press, Iron Head, Roost, and Spite can allow it to be a very versatile defensive Pokemon)
Tier 2: Weezing-Galar, Sirfetch'd, Jirachi, Gengar (G-Max)
Tier 3: Jellicent, Seismitoad

Questions for the community:

- How does a typical battle end up playing out?
This meta revolves heavily around teambuilding, as all 6-7 people we had working on this meta last gen were 1v1 mains. The battles typically revolve around dealing chip damage to the opponent's win conditions such as Kommo-o, Obstagoon, and Corviknight. Bulk is the name of the game in this meta, and strategies such as Protective Pads, Copperajah's Steel Spike, Stealth Rocks, and Rocky Helmet are common. Another big facet of the tier is using lure sets. Coming up with creative sets has been a staple of OMSS since generation 7, for example, bringing a Groundium Mud Slap Pidgeot to lure in Heatran.

- Isn't the metagame too 1-deminsional?
No The Immortal, it isn't. The Metagame revolves around making smart plays based on predicting your opponent to gain momentum. Battles can switch who has momentum many times throughout a game based on who makes the smarter prediction.

- You keep talking about generation 7, how long have you been working on this?
This metagame has been around for around 2 years now. We've had a diligent team of shitposters wasting out lives away discovering tech, optimizing EVs to absurd degrees, and developing momentum patterns to optimize play.
I like the sound of this a lot! Any reason for the bans? If you say defensive measures are really good, why not unban the choice items? The spikes ban seems weird to me too but I think I understand that one more given that you’d have to have a designated hazard control mon. Even then, though, the spike user is just going for spikes as is, and anti-entry hazard measures like Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce have at least more offensive power to them; especially with the Rapid Spin buff. I could be wrong, but it looks like there are many ways to shut down and ignore spikes, moreso than SR as nothing is immune to those type wise.

And with HDB banned, why can’t that be unbanned as well? That sounds like a big opportunity cost from leftovers, even if it means freely switching into hazards it makes stomaching hits a lot worse of course.

I also don’t mean to discourage but a lot of limiting metas like this do tend to get shut down real quick. More so, anything with expanding / limiting movepools tends to not be accepted. Good luck tho!

Morgan

Morgius Sweep
is a Pre-Contributor
I like the sound of this a lot! Any reason for the bans? If you say defensive measures are really good, why not unban the choice items? The spikes ban seems weird to me too but I think I understand that one more given that you’d have to have a designated hazard control mon. Even then, though, the spike user is just going for spikes as is, and anti-entry hazard measures like Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce have at least more offensive power to them; especially with the Rapid Spin buff. I could be wrong, but it looks like there are many ways to shut down and ignore spikes, moreso than SR as nothing is immune to those type wise.

And with HDB banned, why can’t that be unbanned as well? That sounds like a big opportunity cost from leftovers, even if it means freely switching into hazards it makes stomaching hits a lot worse of course.

I also don’t mean to discourage but a lot of limiting metas like this do tend to get shut down real quick. More so, anything with expanding / limiting movepools tends to not be accepted. Good luck tho!
We had a suspect test on Spikes, Choice Band / Specs, and HDB, each of which made the meta actually one dimensional or just downright not fun.

i forgot to add arena trap, thanks, we had it banned last gen

We have used xatu quite a bit, however through lots of metagame testing, we determined that U-turn is not efficient, as they can just stay in and use the hazard again (Something like Toxic or Heat Wave could be very nice though). The Ninetales set and Screens in general have a significant problem, being that you may not get a lot of use out of them due to the numerous switches. In Standard, screens are typically used to aid set up sweepers, which for obvious reasons do not exist in this meta. Ninetales also falls victim to the omnipresent stealth rocks.
Well, you can still set the veils up and go for dynamax scrappy Sirfetch'd to boost attack for three turns. The only problem with this strat is the hail not working in your favor.

zxgzxg

User feints.
is a Forum Moderator
I have an idea.
Move Slot Swap
Good name pending.​

Premise: The first two moves of a Pokemon's moveset switch types.

So you could do stuff like:

:conkeldurr:
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up

- Facade

- Earthquake
- Mach Punch

or

:toxtricity:
Toxtricity @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst

- Volt Switch

- Sludge Wave
- Hex

Potential Bans
Base: Gen8 OU
Bans: Nothing yet
Unbans: Nothing yet

Potential Questions
How can I determine an opponent's swapped move type?
When a swapped move is used, it will indicate the type next to the move like:
Toxtricity used Boomburst (Electric)!
For status moves, the type will not be shown, so it's not always clear which move is swapped with what:
Conkeldurr used Bulk Up!

How do status immunities (Fire to burn, Steel to poison, Electric to paralysis, etc.) work if the moves' type is switched?
Status immunities will stay as they are; if Will-o-wisp changes to a Poison-type move, Fire-types will still be immune. However, if Thunder Wave changes to a Normal-type move, Ground-types will be affected. Grass-types will also stay immune to powder moves

How about moves like Freeze-Dry and Flying Press?
Their super-effectiveness is part of the move itself, so it will also remain as is. So a Ground-Type Freeze Dry will be super effective against Rock, Steel, Poison, Fire, and Water.

How about the move-type-changing abilities (i.e. Pixilate, Aerialate, etc.) or abilities that affect moves of a certain type?
The move that now has the affected type will be affected. If Hyper Voice and Psyshock are switched, Pixilate will turn the Normal-type Psyshock into a Fairy-type move and boost its power. If Iron Head and Superpower are switched, Steely Spirit will boost the Steel-type Superpower. However, if Boomburst and Volt Switch are swapped, Punk Rock will still boost Boomburst. If Hyper Voice and Moonblast are swapped, Liquid Voice will change the Fairy-type Hyper Voice to a Water move, and Moonblast will be a Normal move. If Multi-Attack and Defog are swapped, RKS System will change the Flying-type Multi Attack to whatever type, and Defog will be a Normal move.

How about terrains?
Like with the abilities, it will affect the move that now has the type. If Psychic and Mystical Fire are switched, Psychic Terrain will boost the Psychic-type Mystical Fire.

How about hazards?
Since the weaknesses it factors is part of the move, those will stay as is. Spikes as any other type will not affect Flying-Types, Stealth Rock will still factor Rock weakness, and Toxic Spikes will be absorbed by Poison-types.

Potential Strategies

Setup Sweepers
:kommo-o: :hydreigon: :conkeldurr:
This mechanic can give certain Pokemon stronger STAB or coverage. However, if a Pokemon gets a strong STAB, it could be left with a useless, weaker move wasting a space (If Mimikyu uses Shadow Claw and Wood Hammer, sure, it gets an 120-BP STAB move, but it also has a 70-BP Grass move it really doesn't need). Setup moves can take unneeded types and give a high-BP move STAB or coverage. I think Clangorous Soul/Boomburst Kommo-O, Nasty Plot/Fire Bast Hydreigon, and Bulk Up/Facade Conkeldurr will be really good.

Dual STAB
:hawlucha: :rotom-wash: :obstagoon:
If one type should be on the stronger STAB move, it can now have it in this metagame. Flying-type Close Combat can guarantee White Herb activate, Rotom can pivot easier with Water-Type Volt Switch (also can get Fire-type coverage from Will-o-Wisp btw), and Obstagoon can hit Ghosts with Dark-type Facade.

Strong Normal Moves
:toxtricity: :flareon: :gigalith:
Namely Boomburst, boosted Facade, Double-Edge, and Explosion. Boomburst/Volt Switch gets 140-BP STAB and can pivot on Ground-types, Facade/Flame Charge Flareon can boost and sweep with 140-BP STAB, and Explosion/Stealth Rock Gigalith can set up Rocks and "pivot" with a whopping 250-BP STAB move.

What about defense?
:bronzong: :sylveon: :corsola-galar:
Bulkier Pokemon are not as affected by the mechanic, but they are especially critical with high-power moves everywhere. You can't predict which moves are swapped, but most of the time, the high-power moves are STAB moves, so you can refer to the opponent's type when pivoting into a defensive Pokemon. Heatproof Bronzong can wall the Kommo-o mentioned above, and Sylveon can beat Hydreigon, Kommo-o, and Conkeldurr (w/out Poison Jab). Also, Corsola-G can switch the type of Night Shade so it can hit Normal-types.

Questions for the Community
My main concern is that the meta might be too unpredictable. Do you guys think that? Should there be something that indicates the types of the two moves that were switched? Maybe the animation switches colors, if possible?
Would having the 3rd and 4th move switch types be more interesting? Or would that cause unnecessary headaches?
Should Stealth Rocks factor the weakness of whatever type it is, or just stay Rock?
Do you guys have a better name for this? My name sucks :(

Also, are we supposed to submit these after sharing our ideas here?

Last edited:
Questions for the Community
My main concern is that the meta might be too unpredictable. Do you guys think that? Should there be something that indicates the types of the two moves that were switched? Maybe the animation switches colors, if possible?
Would having the 3rd and 4th move switch types be more interesting? Or would that cause unnecessary headaches?
Should Stealth Rocks factor the weakness of whatever type it is, or just stay Rock?
Do you guys have a better name for this? My name sucks :(
1) The simplest way to indicate anything would be just to switch animations. It would be weird to close combat something with the animation of protect, but whatever.
2) I would keep the 3th and 4th move as they are.
3) The effect of Stealth Rocks doesnt depend on the type of the move, therefore you would have to add that change to the premise and it would feel like a pet mod. I would keep stealth rocks as how they are now
4) I cant help lol

Here 1 set

Gigalith @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/ Iron Head

Rock type explosion for HO sand. You should have tyranitar as backup since the sand only last 5 turns. Many pokemon that can stomach the explosion are heavily dented by earthquake

I think just putting the type in parentheses would work.
Toxtricity used Boomburst (Electric)!

I see Stealth Rock becoming even more valuable in this meta, as it can grant access to a Rock move that won't miss.

teal6, isn't that just LGPE?

Okay, so this is an idea I've had in mind for some time, but I haven't been totally sure how it would best be executed. I think this is the most effective way to go about it? I want to avoid making it gimmicky or matchup-based to the point of being uncompetitive, and I want to make sure it's easy to understand, so...

Totem Pokémon

Metagame premise:
The battle starts as a 1v1 singles match, but both leads have all of their stats boosted to +1. At the end of every turn, each player sends in another Pokémon as an ally if their lead is alone on the field.

- The idea here is derived from the Totem Pokémon boss battles in Alola, but mechanically, it's also reasonably comparable to the existing metagames 1v1 and 2v2 Doubles. The success of those two metagames is what makes me think it won't be totally luck-based or uncompetitive - the match is heavily influenced by the original matchup, but there are ways to do this well other than blind guessing.
- This is somewhat of a twist on normal 2v2 Doubles in that the matchup is distinctly biased towards one Pokémon on each side. Defeating the Totem Pokémon is "permanent" and cuts off the ability to call for more allies, while defeating its ally only leaves room to replace it. On the other hand, support moves like Follow Me, Helping Hand and Fake Out make ally Pokémon no less relevant and can put pressure to take care of them early, while Taunt can be used to disrupt other allies, and double-attacking with both the Totem and the ally (especially with spread moves) is another obvious way to create immediate pressure.
- It's likely that the best Pokémon will be ones that can be effective both as Totems and as allies, since having only one dedicated Totem makes a team much more vulnerable to bad matchups and also fairly predictable. Status control is also much more important than usual, since Toxic is somewhat notorious as a strategy for beating single-Pokémon bosses in-game, haha.
- Considering their access to moves like Clear Smog and Acid Spray, their innate immunity to Toxic and their accuracy advantage in using it, I can sort of see Poison-types being useful as well. On the other hand, they come with a major weakness to Earthquake, which is especially crippling in a meta where a double-KO wins the game even if more Pokémon were waiting.
- Turn 1 Protect might be common as a way to ensure that an ally comes in safely; on the other hand, this leaves the opponent a chance to use a boosting move or otherwise take advantage of the free turn, so I can see it being a risky move in itself.
- I think many players will already be familiar with the basic mechanics of this in a way that will make it easy to understand, but it's also something that no one will have had the chance to use for themselves (since it's a boss-only mechanic in-game), which would make it fascinating to explore.

Potential bans and threats:
- I think Perish Song would almost certainly have to be banned immediately, as it would centralize the metagame too heavily around Pokémon with Soundproof since the structure of the battle means that nothing can switch out. If it's used on turn one, it's extremely likely that both Totem Pokémon will be eliminated before the battle is over, the battle will just come down to the matchup between their allies; I can also see problems with a strategy like using Perish Song on the second turn and having your first ally Pokémon use Memento, meaning that the match is won by not knocking out the opponent's ally so they can't send in a replacement.
- An item that would be worth suspecting is the Focus Sash. On one hand, this is traditionally banned pretty much by default in straight 1v1 metas (even official ones!). On the other hand, in this context, I think preventing an immediate KO has more depth in that on anything but the first turn, the game is no longer decided by a single knockout.
- By extension, if the Focus Sash isn't banned, then it's possible that Counter, Mirror Coat and Metal Burst would need to be considered.
- Clear Smog and Topsy Turvy would likely be interesting and powerful options, since winning the game is largely decided by beating a Pokémon that is inherently reliant on a stat boost. I'm not sure if these would be broken - if they don't stifle other strategies, they might still turn out to be healthy, or they might even be gimmicky, underwhelming and hard to use - but it would be worth keeping an eye on them.
- On the opposite side of the spectrum, Psych Up or (if this is to be NatDex) Heart Swap on ally Pokémon have the potential to be extremely dangerous in this context - there's essentially always a target to copy or even steal an omniboost.

Questions for the community:
- How many team members should players be allowed to bring? Since each player begins by choosing only one lead, and this is the most important matchup, my first instinct was to say it should be three-on-three like 1v1 (notably, with only three Pokémon, the initial matchup never comes down to a 50/50, since the number of outcomes is odd, and this is crucial to the role team preview plays in 1v1 as a meta; this may be jeopardized if players bring four Pokémon). However, allowing players to bring four Pokémon should lend each side greater versatility and more leeway to recover from a bad initial matchup, and it also might help to incentivize dealing with the opponent's first ally Pokémon - if there can be more than one in reserve, the player whose ally faints first has a disadvantage, because the other player can react to their pick rather than having to choose simultaneously.
- Should there be a limit on the number of times that allies can be brought in? If players are able to bring more than three Pokémon, would it be wise to limit the number of allies to two anyway (or some other number that's smaller than the number of remaining team members)? This would go further to incentivize targeting ally Pokémon rather than focusing exclusively on the Totem - players are more likely to try to create a 2v1 situation by exhausting their opponent's allies if there are few enough for that to be realistic and feasible than if it would always be faster just to cut them off, and this creates an interesting alternate win condition to pursue. The main reason I think it would make sense to incentivize targeting allies is that it gives both players a chance to make use of more of their team, rather than consistently having the battle cut short by an early Totem KO; even if it doesn't become the main way to win, making both an early Totem KO and exhausting the opponent's allies viable ways to win promotes more varied and diverse strategies than pushing every game to come down to the Totems themselves.
-Should mechanics like Mega Evolution, Z-Moves or Dynamax be involved? I'm instinctively inclined to say "no" to all three, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. To establish some pros and cons...
Dynamax might end up redundant to and/or broken with the Totems' inherent benefits, or it might complement them well, particularly in an environment that's at least partially a double battle and with the potential to Dynamax either the Totem or its ally (and since repeat stat boosts have diminishing returns - the first boost is 50%, the next is 33%, the next is 25% and so on - the impact of Dynamaxing a Pokémon with an omniboost while fighting a Pokémon with an omniboost would technically be slightly reduced... but is that enough to un-break the mechanic?).
Z-Moves are something I think should be avoided, as they risk just oneshotting regardless of the Totem boosts and making battles absurdly short, cutting out most of the nuance of the format; on the other hand, I can see Protect being a commonly run move for many other reasons, so playing around these might come to be a natural part of gameplay. I notice that Generation VII's 1v1 meta did not ban these, so they might be workable after all.
Mega Evolution probably has the smallest chance of being inherently broken, and I think it might be interesting to see which Mega Evolutions are workable as both Totems and allies. They can also always be handled or banned on a case-by-case basis rather than a sweeping ban of Mega Stones in general. I could go either way on this one - it certainly doesn't feel like it would cause any obvious problems just by existing, but it also doesn't feel like a necessity and might come off as cluttered alongside the more important mechanics.

I would be open to considering this either as a NatDex meta or as a SwSh meta - I don't think one is inherently a better fit for this than the other, so I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on that as well!

Anyway! Uh, that's all I have for now. Does anyone have feedback on this?

Totem sounds like a really cool meta. Stored Power and Power Trip sound interesting at first glance, though their reliance on the user being a totem probably renders them a gimmick. Moxie also sounds interesting, as it lets a buffed up totem to feed off of its opponent's allies.

[this is a repost as i posted it on the wrong forum] :

When a pokemon has "Defiant" , "Competitive" , "Mirror Armor" or "Clear Body" , i feel like it should be able to synergies with "Weak Armor" to give interesting strategies for metagames like "Frantic Fusion" , "Shared Power" , "Abilimoves" and other metagames when a single pokemon can get those 2 abilities together , as the defense drop of "Weak Armor" is implied by an attack from the opponent , i feel like it should trigger the effects of "Defiant" , "Competitive" , "Mirror Armor" , "Clear Body"

[P.S : as Braviary and Mandibuzz are two birds linked together from the generation , and they get access to "Defiant" and "Weak Armor" i thought this would be a nice addition to make a synergy work]

Edit : Perish Body should also be able to synergies with Soundproof (if it prevents the effects)

When a pokemon has "Defiant" , "Competitive" , "Mirror Armor" or "Clear Body" , i feel like it should be able to synergies with "Weak Armor" to give interesting strategies for metagames like "Frantic Fusion" , "Shared Power" , "Abilimoves" and other metagames when a single pokemon can get those 2 abilities together , as the defense drop of "Weak Armor" is implied by an attack from the opponent , i feel like it should trigger the effects of "Defiant" , "Competitive" , "Mirror Armor" , "Clear Body"
Mist doesn't prevent the stat drops from Weak Armor, so neither should Clear Body. By extension, the other Abilities are also unaffected.

Dual Switch

In this format, the Pokemon has its moveset and abilities swapped with its current ally. If you don't know already, this is doubles-based. Its base moveset will be grayed out and unclickable until it's the only one left in the party (though they are free to use the move even when its ally fainted during that turn).

Essentially, it's a discount Partners in Crime.

Banlist:
Banned Abilities:
Imposter
Innards Out
Moody
Rattled
Shadow Tag/Arena Trap
Stakeout
Stamina
Steam Engine
Speed Boost
Wonder Guard

(I will make the banlist more minimal first to see if those abilities like Water Bubbles ends up being good in practice or not)

Banned Moves:
Belly Drum
Bolt Beak
Fishious Rend
Shell Smash
Shift Gear (no level 51)
Spore

Banned Pokemon:
Seaking
Shedinja (because it only has Wonder Guard)

Potential threats:
Probably Follow Me and Rage Powder.
Dubwool because it can give Fluffly and Cotton Guard+Body Press to its ally.

Questions to the community:
  • Does Dual Switch sound interesting enough?
  • Does the name Dual Switch express the metagame's premise clear enough?
  • Is there anything else I should look upon?

Last edited:
I'm not certain if this is a pet mod or another metagame, so I'm putting this here so that someone can yell at me to slink back into the pet mod forum.

Hyper-Restrict
In this format, there are only ever TWENTY legal pokemon at a time. If you are like me, you really love over-analyzing specific mons and countering them as hard as possible, and that is ALL that this meta will ever be.
Because playing with only 20 mons would get stale rather quickly, each meta would only last for exactly two months before new mons are voted on.
A voting period will start after one month of a meta and consist of voting in new pokemon until 20 have been chosen.

Banned Pokemon: Nothing, as of right now. Since the meta would only last for two months, even the most cancerously unbalanced metagame would be resolved quicker than your average Smogon ban. If you vote something in and it makes everything unplayable, it's YOUR fault.

Banned Things:
No Z-moves, Megas, or Dynamaxing.

Banned Moves:
Nothing, as of right now. (Obviously, OHKO and evasion clauses still apply).
I think baton pass could even be legal.

Potential Threats:
It depends on the 20 legal mons. I think in any meta, Pokemon like Dragapult, literally any Uber, Toxapex, and Clefable would take over games really fast, but once again, it depends on the mons.

This is a completely random 20, but it goes to show how this mode could work.
Armaldo
Coalossal
Copperajah
Cramorant
Electivire
Exeggutor
Flygon
Golduck
Hariyama
Kingdra
Muk
Palossand
Reuniclus
Shiinotic
Slurpuff
Tauros
Torkoal
Tsareena
Weavile
Xurkitree

So obviously, this metagame is going to be centered around electric type offense. With Xurkitree probably trying to throw down a thunderbolt onto everything, this makes Electivire and Palossand strong as potential counters, with Flygon also helping, assuming the Xurkitree doesn't have dazzling gleam.
I also think that dragon offense will be pretty big, just based on the mediocre fairy types available and the two strong dragons. Flygon and Kingdra can both deal with the one steel type in the tier, and as long as the fairies get worn down, (which they will), there isn't exactly a strong roadblock to stop one of them.
As you can see, the small pool of available pokemon allows for some offbeat pokemon like Electivire or Shiinotic to have sizable niches on a team and allow for really crazy experimentation within the selected pool.

Questions to the Community:
Is this secretly a pet mod?
Does 20 mons sound interesting enough to be a fun game mode?
How is your day going?

I'm not certain if this is a pet mod or another metagame, so I'm putting this here so that someone can yell at me to slink back into the pet mod forum.

Hyper-Restrict
In this format, there are only ever TWENTY legal pokemon at a time. If you are like me, you really love over-analyzing specific mons and countering them as hard as possible, and that is ALL that this meta will ever be.
Because playing with only 20 mons would get stale rather quickly, each meta would only last for exactly two months before new mons are voted on.
A voting period will start after one month of a meta and consist of voting in new pokemon until 20 have been chosen.

Banned Pokemon: Nothing, as of right now. Since the meta would only last for two months, even the most cancerously unbalanced metagame would be resolved quicker than your average Smogon ban. If you vote something in and it makes everything unplayable, it's YOUR fault.

Banned Things:

Banned Moves:

Potential Threats:
It depends on the 20 legal mons. I think in any meta, Pokemon like Dragapult, literally any Uber, Toxapex, and Clefable would take over games really fast, but once again, it depends on the mons.

Armaldo
Coalossal
Copperajah
Cramorant
Electivire
Exeggutor
Flygon
Golduck
Hariyama
Kingdra
Muk
Palossand
Reuniclus
Shiinotic
Slurpuff
Tauros
Torkoal
Tsareena
Weavile
Xurkitree

So obviously, this metagame is going to be centered around electric type offense. With Xurkitree probably trying to throw down a thunderbolt onto everything, this makes Electivire and Palossand strong as potential counters, with Flygon also helping, assuming the Xurkitree doesn't have dazzling gleam.
I also think that dragon offense will be pretty big, just based on the mediocre fairy types available and the two strong dragons. Flygon and Kingdra can both deal with the one steel type in the tier, and as long as the fairies get worn down, (which they will), there isn't exactly a strong roadblock to stop one of them.
As you can see, the small pool of available pokemon allows for some offbeat pokemon like Electivire or Shiinotic to have sizable niches on a team and allow for really crazy experimentation within the selected pool.

How is your day going?
That sounds too restrictive to gather enough interest. Furthermore, the voting period is strictly a Pet Mod thing; it's only used to vote OMOTM and suspect voting as usual.
Then again, so does my Dual Switch idea.

zxgzxg

User feints.
is a Forum Moderator

Hyper-Restrict

Banned Things:

Banned Moves:

Potential Threats:

Armaldo
Coalossal
Copperajah
Cramorant
Electivire
Exeggutor
Flygon
Golduck
Hariyama
Kingdra
Muk
Palossand
Reuniclus
Shiinotic
Slurpuff
Tauros
Torkoal
Tsareena
Weavile
Xurkitree

How is your day going?
Sorta reminds me of Clean Slate

Generation Brawl:

Metagame Premise: In this variation of the OU format, all 6 Pokémon should belong to the same generation. Here is an example of a legal team: Hydreigon, Conkeldurr, Excadrill, Serperior, Mandibuzz, Landorus-T. This is an illegal team: Clefable, Dragapult, Zeraora, Corviknight, Aegislash, Toxapex. Regarding regional variants, they will belong to the generation they were introduced in. For example, Alolan Ninetales will count as a Generation VII Pokémon, and not a Generation I Pokémon. Mega Evolutions will count as Gen VI Pokémon, so Mega Metagross counts as Gen VI.

Potential Bans/Clauses:

Uber Clause: Uber Pokémon from the generation you are teambuilding around are banned. (Example: When building a Gen VI team, Greninja is banned.)
Normal OU Clauses: Normal OU Clauses apply here.
No Pokémon are in the banlist currently, for now.
Bans: Dynamax, Mega Evolutions (for pre-Gen VI teams), Z-Moves (for pre-Gen VII teams)

Potential Threats:

The Top OU Threats of Each Generation, Namely:

Gen I - Tauros
Gen II - Raikou
Gen III - Metagross
Gen IV - Heatran
Gen V - Landorus-T
Gen VI - Mega Metagross
Gen VII - Magearna and Toxapex
Gen VIII - Corviknight and Dragapult

1. Which Pokémon do you think our council should suspect test in the future?
2. What suggestions do you have for the format?
3. From the Ubers Pokémon, which one would you bring back, and why? We may be able to have a chance and unban them.

Generation Brawl:

Metagame Premise: In this variation of the OU format, all 6 Pokémon should belong to the same generation. Here is an example of a legal team: Hydreigon, Conkeldurr, Excadrill, Serperior, Mandibuzz, Landorus-T. This is an illegal team: Clefable, Dragapult, Zeraora, Corviknight, Aegislash, Toxapex. Regarding regional variants, they will belong to the generation they were introduced in. For example, Alolan Ninetales will count as a Generation VII Pokémon, and not a Generation I Pokémon. Mega Evolutions will count as Gen VI Pokémon, so Mega Metagross counts as Gen VI.

Potential Bans/Clauses:

Uber Clause: Uber Pokémon from the generation you are teambuilding around are banned. (Example: When building a Gen VI team, Greninja is banned.)
Normal OU Clauses: Normal OU Clauses apply here.
No Pokémon are in the banlist currently, for now.
Bans: Dynamax, Mega Evolutions (for pre-Gen VI teams), Z-Moves (for pre-Gen VII teams)

Potential Threats:

The Top OU Threats of Each Generation, Namely:

Gen I - Tauros
Gen II - Raikou
Gen III - Metagross
Gen IV - Heatran
Gen V - Landorus-T
Gen VI - Mega Metagross
Gen VII - Magearna and Toxapex
Gen VIII - Corviknight and Dragapult

1. Which Pokémon do you think our council should suspect test in the future?
2. What suggestions do you have for the format?
3. From the Ubers Pokémon, which one would you bring back, and why? We may be able to have a chance and unban them.
This is called Monogen. Unfortunately it wasn’t very popular, presumably because generation, color, etc... aren’t competitive factors that influence teambuilding. It’s just a meaningless restriction.

Terramons:

Metagame Premise: If you remember the Kalos League anime, each battle has its own terrain. That is what Terramons is all about! In each battle, there will be a random terrain on the field, and it could be any of the following:

Stealth Rock
Spikes
Toxic Spikes
Trick Room
Tailwind
Gravity
Magic Room
Grassy Terrain
Electric Terrain
Misty Terrain
Psychic Terrain
Reflect on Both Sides
Light Screen on Both Sides
Sandstorm
Sun
Rain
Hail

This will shape up your strategy in order for you to handle all terrains said above.

Potential Bans/Clauses:

Standard OU Clauses

Banned Moves:

Rapid Spin
Defog
Court Change

Banned Pokémon:

Any Pokémon that can set the terrains above

Potential Threats:

It all depends on the terrain.

Questions:

1. Do you think we should vote to ban some abilities in the future such as Unburden and Swift Swim?
2. What are your comments and suggestions?
3. Should we ban some Pokémon in the future?

Acid Rain

Loosely based on the old HG/SS glitch that caused all 4 weathers to occur at once (triggered by KOing an opponent that was switching out with pursuit during any multiturn effect, including Trick Room, Gravity or any actual weather).

Practical effects:
  • Sun, Rain, Hail and Sandstorm are active at once.
    • This weather cannot be changed by any means; but it can be temporarily suppressed by Cloud Nine (currently only available on Drampa).
  • All weather-based abilities such as Slush Rush and Solar Power are activated.
    • Dry skin damages (Sunlight) then heals (Rain) for very little practical effect.
  • Fire and Water attacks +50% strength.
  • Moonlight, Synthesis and Morning Sun heal 2/3rds of max HP.
  • Solar Beam and Solar Blade charge in one turn.
  • Growth raises Atk and SpA two stages.
  • Pokemon cannot be frozen. (Side effect of Sun).
  • Thunder, Hurricane and Blizzard cannot miss.
  • SpD of Rock Type Pokemon +50%.
  • Aurora Veil can be used.
  • Pokemon that are not immune to Sandstorm/Hail will get buffeted by each separately for a total of -1/8th HP/turn.
  • Weather Ball is Fire type. (Arbitrary).
  • Should Castform enter Gen VIII it will also be Fire type in this OM.
Notes:
  • I chose to do positive effects but not negative effects for when they interact mostly because "Solar Beam takes one turn to charge BUT it's power is halved" is fairly uninteresting as would be a net -25% strength to water and fire attacks (though that one might be reasonable from a balance perspective).
    • In the actual glitch Fire attack strength +50% -50% (done as x 1.5, x 0.5) was a net -25%, (x0.75).
Thoughts on Threats:
  • Dreadnaw is quite interesting as the only pokemon to get both the +50% SpD from Sandstorm and have a speedboosting ability (Swift Swim)
  • Excadrill (Sand Stream or Sand Force)
  • Beartic
  • Barraskewda
  • Ludicolo
  • Venusaur
  • Leafeon
  • Heliolisk
  • Charizard
  • Eiscue

Last edited:
I chose to do positive effects but not negative effects for when they interact mostly because "Solar Beam takes one turn to charge BUT it's power is halved" is fairly uninteresting as would be a net -25% strength to water and fire attacks (though that one might be reasonable from a balance perspective).
When it comes to OMs, it's very ill-advised to come up with an idea and then fudge the details to make things more "interesting". At that point, it's not an OM. It's a Pet Mod.

Pikachu315111 had an idea in OI that I thought might make for an interesting OM, so here it is.

Item Swap (name pending)

Your Pokemon can hold two items, but only one of them can be active at a given time. You can swap between the items, and the swapping would work like megas or dynamaxing: the swap happens before moves are used, you can't swap and switch out, but you can swap and attack.

I foresee consumable items being much more useful in this meta, as you have the option of swapping to a different item once they're used up. They can also be kept in the inactive slot until they're needed. For example, a Sitrus Berry can be used to heal on demand at the start of a turn, while resist berries or an Air Balloon can be swapped in to defend against a predicted attack, and the Air Balloon can then be swapped out to protect it from popping.

Choice items will be weird. You wouldn't be able to break a choice lock completely on demand, as you would still be locked on the turn you swap. However, you also have free decision on what move to use on the turn you swap in a choice item.

The biggest concern for this meta is whether it's even possible to code within the bounds of an OM. Another concern is where to put the second item while building a team.

An idea I had for a Pet Mod

Name: VGCX
Premise: VGC with user created Pokemon as well as new items, and other small mechanic changes.

There will be three formats in this Pet Mod: Bronze, Silver and Gold. Bronze format is national dex only, mirroring the first year of the new generation of VGC. Bronze format will only allow the newly created Pokemon and the Pokemon the player base want to bring back. Silver format will include all Pokemon apart from restricted legendaries. Finally, Gold format will allow you to use 2 restricted legendaries on your team.

Quesitons?

What about Mega Evolution, Z Moves and Dynamax?
All three are gone. This metagame is going back to basics.

How will the slates work?
For the first few weeks, when don't have many (or any) new Pokemon, the slates will be dedicated to Bronze format, where we will be focusing on making new Pokemon. Then, we will move onto Silver format, and focus on giving older Pokemon new tools, and creating new abilities and/or moves. Then, we will move onto Gold format, where step 1 will be to give all the box legendaries their own signature abilities (if they didn't have them already, or, if they're clone like Terravolt, reworking them). Then we will loop back around to bronze again.

How should I submit a Pokemon?
Like this:
Type:
Abilities: 1 / 2 / 3 (Hidden abilities are always considered available)
Base stats: List in order of HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe
Useful moves (you don't have to list whole movepool, just the stuff you think it would actually use).
Physical: You can put N/A if you think one of its attack stats is too low to justify ever using a move of that type
Special:
What does it do? Describe its role
Is it outclassed? Describe what it has to separate itself from its rivals
Is it broken? Describe what flaws it has to keep it in check.

Can I give my Pokemon multiple formes?
Yes, but not ones that require in battle transformations.

Can I make an evolution to an older Pokemon?
Yes, but if you're giving stuff like Eevee or Johto Corsola an evolution, it must have the same BST as the Eeveelotuions and Cursola, respectively. In the case of Eeveelutions, its base stats must be 130 / 60 / 110 / 95 / 65 / 65, but they can be arranged in any order you wish.
sir pet mod is this way https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pet-mods-workshop.3657185/#post-8300334

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)