Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Have you ever wondered how good a mon with a great moveset could be with better stats? Well you're in luck! PURE ATTACK allows you to use your move's base power as your attack/special atk stat for that turn. Simply put, your move's base power=your attack.

Example: Brave Bird Smogonbirb goes from 81 atk to 120 atk.

Potential Threats:
1) Victini - V-Create spam​
- Self Explanatory​
2) Pure Power/Huge Power Users​
- These mons have nothing to lose, since any low bp move will still hit pretty hard.​
3) Araquanid - Water spam​
- Same as Pure Power, except with water moves​
4) Smeargle - Literally any high bp move​
- With access to every move, the only thing smeargle fears is itself.​
5) Weather/Terrain/Unburden Spam​
- Of course in this type of meta, speed kills. So +2 speed abilities plus the extra damage added by weather/terrains will be a mainstay.​
Potential Bans/Clauses:
1) Clauses​
  • OU Clause
  • Z-move Clause- Z moves cannot determine a pokemon's attack/special attack stats
  • Possibly a clause on all moves over a certain bp
2) Potential Bans​
  • Pure Power/Huge Power- mons like Mega Medicham and Azumarill could be completely uncheckable
  • Victini/V-create- could be unstoppable on a sun team: 252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro-Mega in Sun: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Pretty absurd.
  • Explosion- Could possibly be a clause
Questions for the Community
  • Are there any threats that I missed?
  • Should weather/terrain/ability(e.i. tough claws) boosts affect the move's bp for attack stats?
  • Should this meta be OU or Ubers based?
  • If a move's base power is lower than the mon's original attack stat, should it still go into affect or should it ignore the move's bp and use the original attack stat? For example, if Kartana uses Leaf Blade, should his attack dip to 90atk or should it stay at 181atk because the move's bp is lower.
Fuck skill link, the meta

Jokes aside, I think this meta would absurdly hard to balance with stuff like offensive chansey and other tanky monstrosities. Also not all types have high-bp moves, actually except like Fire, Fighting, Water, Grass, Flying and like maybe Normal most moves have less than 100 BP which is sometimes significantly lower than what OU offensive threats have. So I guess mons that already rely on boosting themselves or, well, huge power as you pointed out, are the one who will benefit the most from this meta.

• Should weather/terrain/ability(e.i. tough claws) boosts affect the move's bp for attack stats?
  • Should this meta be OU or Ubers based?
  • If a move's base power is lower than the mon's original attack stat, should it still go into affect or should it ignore the move's bp and use the original attack stat? For example, if Kartana uses Leaf Blade, should his attack dip to 90atk or should it stay at 181atk because the move's bp is lower.
I love this idea, sounds like a really fun metagame to play, so my awnsers to the questions:
1: If it's Visibly changed, eg with tough claws, then it comes into affect, otherwise it does not change the moves bp changing the stat.
2: OU based is my original thought, but actually, if you do #3 in a way that it still affects it, there would be no reason for it not to be ubers, Either way though, ubers would be much more fun.
3: It should always change, if it didn't the metagame would just be the normal standard of it with very few variations, but if it changed, it would be much more interesting and follow the idea more.

More on #2 though, it really should be ubers, (only if #3 is that it always changes, or else it would just be pure chaos) having it ubers just means that you have more mons, most pokemon will get around 70-120 in their respective attack stats, having it ubers would just be so much more fun, and not boring.

I was going to post some mon ideas for ubers here, but I had a really hard time finding anything devastating, the best thing I could find is pheromosa, who only gets 5 removed from her attack stat if she spams HJK, which can miss, and is also fighting type, which just means you carry around a ghost type, mega gengar is the only really good thing that needs to be banned from ubers tbh, the other set I came up with is hawlucha, who last time I checked, is just OU.

Counterpoint to making it Ubers: many Ubers are bulky AF, and with the generally reduced attack stats of everyone, they sound like a nightmare to break.
That is a fair point, Darkrai could be a good counter with sleep to most fat mons, also if it's ubers we can safely use diggersby the monster with huge attack stats who could break it too.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That is a fair point, Darkrai could be a good counter with sleep to most fat mons, also if it's ubers we can safely use diggersby the monster with huge attack stats who could break it too.
Still, sleep clause exists and Hypnosis is not very accurate. Ubers would be awful for this meta due to everything being bulky and the offensive mons with really high stats would lose a lot of the power they usually have because of moves lowering attack stats.

Still, sleep clause exists and Hypnosis is not very accurate. Ubers would be awful for this meta due to everything being bulky and the offensive mons with really high stats would lose a lot of the power they usually have because of moves lowering attack stats.
darkrai was more of an idea, I don't really see any mons stopping diggersby, whomst gets amazing power with STAB eq giving it base 100 attack + huge power, also xerneas is only slightly worse in this case, and geomancy really helps it still be super powerful. also also p-don is perfect for this as he's a little fat and still has good attacking/special attacking stats, still high enough to obliterate.

I don't really see any mons stopping diggersby, whomst gets amazing power with STAB eq giving it base 100 attack + huge power
Maybe consider banning Diggersby then? It can be checked offensively, but with Return + EQ + Wild Charge, it can hit everything except Grass/Ghosts and Giratina-Origin, which get at least 2HKOed by Banded Ice Punch.

p-don is perfect for this
Of course it is. It's Primal Groudon. Why would you want yet another meta run by Primal Groudon?

Anyway, here are some sets.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Infernape is a menace, with dual 120 power STABs.

Talonflame @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Another Fire-type with a second 120 power STAB, this time even faster.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Under Trick Room, nothing stands in Marowak's way.

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Surf
- U-turn

Pelipper now has great power to abuse its own rain with.

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hurricane

Something that occurred to me is that Hidden Power is terrible in this meta, though I doubt Swellow would need it with its 140 power STAB.

Minior @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Minior no longer has to dance around its two forms. In this meta, it hits hard no matter what state it's in.

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Knock Off
- Substitute

While its Leaf Storms get a huge power boost, the lack of HP Fire really hurts.

Weavile @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Pickpocket
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Its STABs aren't particularly strong, but its coverage is very potent.

Komala @ Choice Band
Ability: Comatose
Adamant Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Last Resort

Probably still a gimmick, but it's still super strong.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

I'm running out of ways to say that this mon got a big power boost.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sets for Pure Attack.
1569669982214.png

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake
Typhlosion running scarf eruption is always fun, and now it can hit even harder with Eruption spam. Entei could probably be an option too.

1569670165537.png

Blastoise @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse

While not as fast, I imagine this thing could also prove to be useful as it will hit just as hard.

1569670956585.png

Also not sure about a set but I imagine chansey could probably pull off calm mind sweeps because of how tanky it is and moves increasing it's Sp. Atk.

Are there any threats that I missed?​
Found Some.

Exploud @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Synchronoise

hey uhh, this is not okay at all.
Boomburst + STAB + Scrappy means it's spamming basically, a 210BP move, that has no immunities, and two weaknesses. using 140 base spatk. Thoose two being steel and fighting, both of which are covered in his moveset. You could replace synchronoise with extrasensorry but I like it like this personally. This thing will be a MONSTER. I gave it a scarf and + speed so it could outspeed anything that wants to check it. And honestly you can change up that moveset. Focus blast could easily go, but it's really good for like a blissey or something.
Probably really powerful and is honestly going to be a big threat to face.
(I wrote this than noticed swellow existed, so run them both lmao, this is just a little worse version, with much better moves, who cares.)

Linoone could also be pretty good but I have not found a really good set that can kill anything just yet.
Diggersby will also be a monster but everyone is talking about him so no use putting it here.

I saw someone else (Araii) Mention this idea but here it is in detail:

Entei @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Flamethrower

Yes, this is a terrible set, but it's the best I came up with quickly, you could probably do this with 1 move but I added the other three for if you were hit with knock off and lost a lot of health. (Yeah terrible moves please come up with something better) Point is, it's running 150 base special attack, with STAB eruption, nuking everything when it's at full health.

(It's shiny because it looks so cool shiny.)
Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

This works so much better if this meta works the way I want it to, being you get the stats boosted only by abilities that show it on the screen, sheer force is one of thoose abilities, and if it actually works (please make it) it uses a base 127 spatk sludge wave. Earth power is there to hit and kill steel types, and ice beam is for other things that might oppose it, Here is another really good set though
Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

it could run timid too to outspeed a lot more stuff but modest nukes even more. Here nidoking is no peon, he is truly the king. With this set it can hit stuff like cele or skarmory, being it's true counters, and still be really fast. Honestly this here is going to be an absolute unit of a mon that will be so good and powerful.

(Again, the shiny form looks really, Really cool on it so it's shiny, it's just better this way)
Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
I get it, there are a lot of special attackers on this list, But these are just things I found. Ninetales gets drougt which makes her amazingly op, using fire blast or overheat to launch things into oblivion, and has nasty plot, It is hardwalled by heatran, but you can change the set up a bit for that. Solar beam is also great as it hits water types and gives great spatk too. This is just going to be a great mon with sun up.
Fun fact: A fire type in the sun has (BP)1.5X 1.5X Power with fire moves, which isn't X3, but is still amazing.

Exploud @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Synchronoise
Synchronoise is completely useless because 1) Fighting doesn't resist Normal and 2) Synchronoise can't hit Fighting types because Exploud isn't a Fighting type. I would replace it with something like Surf, Earthquake, Sleep Talk, or Toxic.

Entei @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Flamethrower
I think Entei is outclassed by Typhlosion. Typhlosion has better abilities and much better coverage, with access to Focus Blast, Earthquake, and Wild Charge, compared to Entei's Stomping Tantrum. If you're going to use Entei, you should use Calm Mind, which is one of the few advantages Entei has over Typhlosion.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
Nidoqueen is also pretty cool. Instead of losing speed and power in exchange for bulk, she only loses speed.

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
Not much to add, other than that Grassium Z could be useful for hitting opposing weather setters like Pelipper and Tyranitar.

Here's a potentially really scary mon:

No, I'm not kidding. With Extreme Evoboost, Eevee can unleash Stored Powers off a base 220 Special Attack, with a +2 boost to Special Attack for good measure. While Eevee's movepool is pretty crap, it has Yawn which might help it set up, and either Double-Edge or Hyper Voice to not be walled by Dark types.

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Last Resort
- Stored Power
- Yawn
- Double-Edge / Hyper Voice

Here's a potentially really scary mon:

No, I'm not kidding. With Extreme Evoboost, Eevee can unleash Stored Powers off a base 220 Special Attack, with a +2 boost to Special Attack for good measure. While Eevee's movepool is pretty crap, it has Yawn which might help it set up, and either Double-Edge or Hyper Voice to not be walled by Dark types.

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Last Resort
- Stored Power
- Yawn
- Double-Edge / Hyper Voice
Problem is it has to live one turn and eevee isn't the bulkiest thing around.

Normalmons header.png
Imagine a world where no Pokémon was discriminated for having such an awful type or ability, whether offensively or defensively, or both, its painful for the victimized Pokémon. But this metagame is different. Here in Normalmons, all Pokémon, are normal!

Now before you complain that this OM violates this:
yes.png

the idea I have is not just a simple kind of typeless battle; it has multiple modifications to it.

The premise of Normalmons is that all Pokémon have their typing changed to Normal, and their ability is changed to Normalize. For example, instead of Kartana being a Grass / Steel with Beast Boost, it is instead a Normal type with Normalize.
normalmons.png

So what to expect to be the meta in this metagame? Most likely, a mix! Offense teams get STAB on all their moves, which hit neutral on all mons! Stall won’t fall behind; of course Chansey will still be able to shrug off special attacks reeealllly well.

Clauses are standard OU clauses, and extra clauses for:
1.) to ban all type-changing moves (Such as Conversion and Soak),
2.) to ban all ability-changing moves (Such as Simple Beam),
3.) to ban all damaging Z-Moves (Firium Z will not be allowed to be used for Inferno Overdrive, but can be used for Z-Sunny Day), except for Breakneck Blitz from Normallium Z.

Possible bans:
alakazam-mega.gif

In addition to free STAB on all moves, due to Mega Alakazam having a godly base 175 SpA and base 150 Spe, it would have an easy time making free wallbreaks on Pokémon not as bulky as Chansey.
salamence.gif

Its already great attack and decent speed can be boosted further with Dragon Dance, then unleash 144 base power Outrage which can no longer be blocked by Fairies. Since its not a mega, it can be free to hold a Life Orb to boost damage to insane levels, and have Roost to remedy the recoil.

Sample sets!
gardevoir-mega.gif

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Modest Nature
- Synchronoise
- Focus Blast / Moonblast
- Taunt
- Heal Bell / Calm Mind

With this set, Mega Gardevoir gets a powerful 144 base power Synchronoise which will always work due to all mons being normal type. The second moveslot is for Gardevoir to have a second attack in case Synchronoise gets disabled. Taunt aids in breaking stalls while Heal Bell gives team support, or Calm Mind can be run to boost SpA even more.
chansey.gif

Chansey @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm / Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Protect / Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock / Heal Bell

Chansey didn't have any resistances in the standard metagame (sans Ghost, but that didn't really matter didn't it?); here in Normalmons it just gets a free remedy for its Fighting weakness. The given set lets Chansey Toxic and stall as it would like to; Soft-Boiled for recovery, Protect for 1 free turn, Seismic Toss for speeding up the kill, Stealth Rock for team support, and Heal Bell to cure Chansey and its teammates of status. Just take note that you can only run 4 moves!

Some questions that will probably be asked:
Q: Will megas change the typing and ability of the Pokémon?
A: No, no condition will change the typing and ability of any Pokémon. They will always be Normal types with Normalize.

Q: Why is the only available damaging Z-Move Breakneck Blitz?
A: Normal moves are usually useless in this metagame since they don't get the 1.2x power boost from Normalize, so I decided that making Breakneck Blitz the only legal damaging Z-Move will give Normal-type moves a chance to be found in sets.

Well, that's it folks! If you have any questions feel free to ask!
(edited for correction and accidental non-completion)

Last edited:

Arai

aka the situation
This is just typeless battles with extra steps. I don't really think I would enjoy a meta where everything hits for neutral damage.

You've gotta ban: Slakig, Regigigas, arhceops, Dragonite And Put: Mega T-Tar, And Mega Aerodactyl, Landot, and Kyub in the potential banlist.

Also this falls under the "Yet another meta where noivern gets STAB boomburst" category.

Other than that, it will need A LOT of balancing done because there will be a lot of really good mons that literarily are invincible. You also forgot to include a threat list.

Also also, It would require a lot of balancing to be fun but if done properly could be really interesting to see.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I have to say, the meta seems like it could potentially be interesting, but it takes a lot of the skill out of the game. Even after the obvious bans (Regigigas, Slaking, Kartana, Kyurem-Black, Shedinja, Shedinja again because it’s beyond broken, probably Dragonite), having every move be the same type with STAB and an additional boost means the meta is guaranteed to be ruled by offense and offense alone. It’s next to impossible to switch in on stuff when nothing resists anything at all.

Shedinja is far from broken; with Normalize replacing Wonder Guard (not in addition to it), it's utterly weak and doesn't even learn Destiny Bond to make up for it.

Problem is it has to live one turn and eevee isn't the bulkiest thing around.
The generally decreased power of this meta helps. From the special side, it can survive hits from 100 power foes, and on the physical side, it can survive attacks from between 80 and 90 power foes, depending on natures.

252 SpA Victini Searing Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Eevee: 193-228 (76.8 - 90.8%)

252+ SpA Victini Searing Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Eevee: 211-249 (84 - 99.2%)

252 Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eevee: 199-235 (79.2 - 93.6%)

252+ Atk Incineroar Darkest Lariat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eevee: 198-234 (78.8 - 93.2%)

252 Atk Incineroar Darkest Lariat vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Eevee: 202-238 (80.4 - 94.8%)

252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Eevee: 201-237 (80 - 94.4%)

It's not going to be surviving any Fighting-type moves or choice-boosted STAB, but it can take choice-boosted non-STAB.

252 SpA Victini Searing Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Eevee: 193-228 (76.8 - 90.8%)

252+ SpA Victini Searing Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Eevee: 211-249 (84 - 99.2%)

252 Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eevee: 199-235 (79.2 - 93.6%)

252+ Atk Incineroar Darkest Lariat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eevee: 198-234 (78.8 - 93.2%)

252 Atk Incineroar Darkest Lariat vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Eevee: 202-238 (80.4 - 94.8%)

252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Eevee: 201-237 (80 - 94.4%)
oh cool did not notice that.

I have to say, the meta seems like it could potentially be interesting, but it takes a lot of the skill out of the game. Even after the obvious bans (Regigigas, Slaking, Kartana, Kyurem-Black, Shedinja, Shedinja again because it’s beyond broken, probably Dragonite), having every move be the same type with STAB and an additional boost means the meta is guaranteed to be ruled by offense and offense alone. It’s next to impossible to switch in on stuff when nothing resists anything at all.
You forgot to mention archeops too as it's beyond devastating.

Archeops without defeatist is fine for OU
not at all
252 Atk Life Orb Normalize Archeops Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete: 173-204 (27.2 - 32%) -- 47.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
this 4hkos a max def and max hp zyg-c (at max health, like if it was a zyg-c at full hp) that wields leftovers. (yes I accounted for normalize and only normal type on both)
252 Atk Life Orb Normalize Archeops Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 364-429 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Yeah it's chansey whomst has like no defense but it runs max def and max hp so it's still quite fat.
A more realistic calc though:

252 Atk Life Orb Normalize Archeops Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar-Mega: 148-175 (36.6 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
This would be a terrible mega t-tar set, because it focuses on defense, but it still is destroyed by archeops in three turns. Note all of theese calcs are on things that are max defense and made to hardwall it. Yes I forgot to turn off sandstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)