Project Metagame Workshop

Premise: When a Pokemon is Knocked Out, the replacement Pokemon uses each of the Knockes Out Pokemon's status moves, in moveslot order.

For example:
:dragonite: has the following set
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

When Dragonite faints, I'll switchin my :brambleghast:

:brambleghast: will immediately use Tailwind, followed up by Dragon Dance. Thanks to its Wind Rider ability, it will also get +1 attack from the use of Tailwind.

Right off the bat bans:
Revival Blessing
Clangorus Soul
Shell Smash
Belly Drum

Watchlist
Setup moves, including Dragon Dance, Shift Gear, Agility, Tail Glow, etc.
Choice Scarf - the ability to not NEED to invest in speed control otherwise could be overpowering?

Questions: does this sound like an interesting meta? There's quite a lot to do, but I'm not aure if it'd be fun for it to evolve into 1 setup 3 attacks meta or something like that. Maybe individual bans are better such as just banning DDance or Shift Gear?

There are other toxic strategies but I am not currently as worried about those such as using 2 attacks + Disable/Encore Pokemon, so that the switchin simply stops the Pokemon it's facing from being a threat.
What happens if my pokemon knows memento and uses it? Does my switch in also faint?

Premise: When a Pokemon is Knocked Out, the replacement Pokemon uses each of the Knockes Out Pokemon's status moves, in moveslot order.

For example:
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

:brambleghast: will immediately use Tailwind, followed up by Dragon Dance. Thanks to its Wind Rider ability, it will also get +1 attack from the use of Tailwind.

Right off the bat bans:
Revival Blessing
Clangorus Soul
Shell Smash
Belly Drum

Watchlist
Choice Scarf - the ability to not NEED to invest in speed control otherwise could be overpowering?

Questions: does this sound like an interesting meta? There's quite a lot to do, but I'm not aure if it'd be fun for it to evolve into 1 setup 3 attacks meta or something like that. Maybe individual bans are better such as just banning DDance or Shift Gear?

There are other toxic strategies but I am not currently as worried about those such as using 2 attacks + Disable/Encore Pokemon, so that the switchin simply stops the Pokemon it's facing from being a threat.
While I really like this metagame idea, and would play it myself, I find it a bit similar to Trademarked. (A status move put into the ability slot that activates upon every switch in.) However, I do believe this metagame still has potential. Also, I'd like to add that you might want to ban Parting Shot. Otherwise, the game will go on forever (assuming no hazards)

What happens if my pokemon knows memento and uses it? Does my switch in also faint?
Yes. You could use this to effectively chain the ampunt of status moves you use in one turn, but you'd also lose several Pokemon as a result.

Here's an example
:glimmora: :gardevoir: :gallade: :dragonite:
Let me start by saying I'm not aure this is balanced.

Glimmora leads and uses Memento or Spikes/TSpikes, whatever you feel is safe. After death or memento, Gardevoir switches in.

The switchin Gardevoir will now use Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, and then KO itself with Memento given to it by Glimmora. Switchin Gallade.

Gallade uses Disable, Encore, Wish, and then Memento given to it by Gardevoir. Switch in Dragonite.

Dragonite uses Mean Look, Swords Dance, Agility, and then Imprison. Coupled with Dragonite owning Haze, this whole setup, while it sacks three of your guys, makes Dragonite really, really hard to stop. There are of course plenty of ways around this (Heart Swap over Haze, GaG/Magic Bounce, Ghost type/tera ghost, having your own 3-mon sack setup, etc.) but I'm not sure if that should still make this allowed in principle. Getting to use 12 status moves in a turn sounds fun though.

While I really like this metagame idea, and would play it myself, I find it a bit similar to Trademarked. (A status move put into the ability slot that activates upon every switch in.) However, I do believe this metagame still has potential. Also, I'd like to add that you might want to ban Parting Shot. Otherwise, the game will go on forever (assuming no hazards)
It's gor a few differences!
- Use of the extra status moves is a lot more limited, given it only activated when a Pokemon faints.
- You can use multiple status moves in a row.

Parting Shot, Teleport, Baton Pass (not sure if needs a ban since you could just choose the mon you want to have the stats directly, maybe Numel could be looked at though), and Chilly Reception would all activate once.

:persian-alola: has Parting Shot and faints whule active. The switchin :ogerpon-hearthflame: would be able to use Parting Shot, but the switchin after that wouldn't use Parting Shot since :ogerpon-hearthflame: has not fainted and does not actually own Parting Shot.

Having thought about it a bit more, I think Roar, Whirlwind, Shed Tail, and Substitute are all potenrially a bit too strong as well. Roar & Whirlwind are strong setup tools, allowing you to potentially force out a threat and immediately setup upon one of your mons fainting. They also dismantle setups too by simply yeeting them. Haze does this too, but I think the fact that it doesn't switch mons out keeps it a but more balanced.

Substitute & Shed Tail are pretty similar, in that they can make setup a bit easy and also make opponents who wanna make use of this meta less able to do so (as sub will block several status moves).

You're assuming no hazards in a meta in which glimmora faints and procs a layer of spikes a layer of rocks and maybe even 2 layers of tspikes in one turn, without clicking any of those buttons, i think hazards are gonna be pretty prevalent.

Yes. You could use this to effectively chain the ampunt of status moves you use in one turn, but you'd also lose several Pokemon as a result.

Here's an example
:glimmora: :gardevoir: :gallade: :dragonite:
Let me start by saying I'm not aure this is balanced.

Glimmora leads and uses Memento or Spikes/TSpikes, whatever you feel is safe. After death or memento, Gardevoir switches in.

The switchin Gardevoir will now use Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, and then KO itself with Memento given to it by Glimmora. Switchin Gallade.

Gallade uses Disable, Encore, Wish, and then Memento given to it by Gardevoir. Switch in Dragonite.

Dragonite uses Mean Look, Swords Dance, Agility, and then Imprison. Coupled with Dragonite owning Haze, this whole setup, while it sacks three of your guys, makes Dragonite really, really hard to stop. There are of course plenty of ways around this (Heart Swap over Haze, GaG/Magic Bounce, Ghost type/tera ghost, having your own 3-mon sack setup, etc.) but I'm not sure if that should still make this allowed in principle. Getting to use 12 status moves in a turn sounds fun though.

It's gor a few differences!
- Use of the extra status moves is a lot more limited, given it only activated when a Pokemon faints.
- You can use multiple status moves in a row.

Parting Shot, Teleport, Baton Pass (not sure if needs a ban since you could just choose the mon you want to have the stats directly, maybe Numel could be looked at though), and Chilly Reception would all activate once.

:persian-alola: has Parting Shot and faints whule active. The switchin :ogerpon-hearthflame: would be able to use Parting Shot, but the switchin after that wouldn't use Parting Shot since :ogerpon-hearthflame: has not fainted and does not actually own Parting Shot.

Having thought about it a bit more, I think Roar, Whirlwind, Shed Tail, and Substitute are all potenrially a bit too strong as well. Roar & Whirlwind are strong setup tools, allowing you to potentially force out a threat and immediately setup upon one of your mons fainting. They also dismantle setups too by simply yeeting them. Haze does this too, but I think the fact that it doesn't switch mons out keeps it a but more balanced.

Substitute & Shed Tail are pretty similar, in that they can make setup a bit easy and also make opponents who wanna make use of this meta less able to do so (as sub will block several status moves).
Ok I definitely misread. I thought that whenever a mon switched in that it would use the status move. But now that I understand that it uses the status moves after a mon faints.
You're assuming no hazards in a meta in which glimmora faints and procs a layer of spikes a layer of rocks and maybe even 2 layers of tspikes in one turn, without clicking any of those buttons, i think hazards are gonna be pretty prevalent.
Ok, assuming no hazards would be crazy, but assuming there is heavy duty boots would not be.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader

For example:
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Right off the bat bans:
Revival Blessing
Clangorus Soul
Shell Smash
Belly Drum

Watchlist

This sounds like it can be fun, but a bit hard to balance, I imagine teams would have a few donors and abusers, you set out a mon with only a self-KO as their offensive move, so the next one can fit all the coverage it needs to abuse the 3 free status moves, so you would most likely have to find a nice balance with preventing donors from being too good but also not bad so there is a point to playing the format.
A set here could look like this:
:sv/veluza:
Veluza @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Final Gambit
- Fillet Away
- Substitute
- Recover

This seems like it could be fun.

back again with yet another idea...
Dyna Moves
Remember back in Generation 8 when we had Dynamax, and that all Dynamax Moves had special secondary effects? Well today, I am here to present to you, Dyna Moves! In this metagame, all moves have special secondary moves based on the typing of those moves!

Rules:

Mechanic: All moves grant special secondary effects based on the typing of the move.
Clauses: Sleep Clause (Limit one foe put to sleep), Species Clause (Limit one of each Pokemon), OHKO Clause (OHKO moves are banned), Evasion Items Clause (Evasion Items are banned), Evasion Moves Clause (Evasion Moves are banned)
Banlist:
:calyrex-shadow:Calyrex-Shadow
:arceus:Arceus(All Forms)
:baxcalibur:Baxcalibur
:chien-pao:Chien-Pao
:chi-yu:Chi-Yu
:darkrai:Darkrai
:dialga:Dialga(Base+Origin)
:espathra:Espathra
:eternatus:Eternatus
:flutter mane:Flutter Mane
:giratina:Giratina(Base+Origin)
:groudon:Groudon
:koraidon:Koraidon
:kyogre:Kyogre
:landorus:Landorus-I
:magearna-original:Magearna
:mewtwo:Mewtwo
:miraidon:Miraidon
:ogerpon-hearthflame:Ogerpon-Fire
:palafin-hero:Palafin
:palkia:Palkia(Base+Origin)
:rayquaza:Rayquaza
:regieleki:Regieleki
:roaring moon:Roaring Moon
:shaymin-sky:Shaymin-Sky
:spectrier:Spectrier
:ursaluna-bloodmoon:Ursaluna-Blood
:urshifu:Urshifu(Single+Rapid)
:zacian-crowned:Zacian(Base+Crown)
:zamazenta-crowned:Zamazenta-Crowned
:annihilape:Rage Fist
:orthworm:Shed Tail
:basculegion:Last Respects
:scream tail:Baton Pass
Banned Items:
:politoed:Kings Rock
Watchlist:
:iron valiant:Iron Valiant
:iron moth:Iron Moth

Strategy:

Increased Viability:

:iron valiant: Fastest pokemon in the entire game with Booster Energy Speed + this mon is able to launch Attack Boosting Close Combats to deal massive damage and get progressively stronger.
:iron moth: Literally the exact same as Iron Valiant, instead with Special Attack Boosting Sludge Waves.

Decreased Viability:
:clefable: Fairy Types like Clefable have arguably the worst effect when using Fairy Type Moves as all they do is set up Misty Terrain, which only prevents Status and weakens Dragon Type moves. Rip Clefable.

Q&A:

Question
: Do my Pokemon get their regular secondary effects when using an attack?
Answer: Yes. If a Great Tusk uses Rapid Spin, it will remove Hazards, boost Great Tusk's Speed, and lower the opposing Pokemon's Speed, which is the Dynamax effect.

Question: Do my Status moves get benefits from Max Guard?
Answer: No cause that is stupid and could be broken.

Question: Are Fighting and Poison Type attacks weakened like Max Knuckle and Max Ooze in Pokemon Sword+Shield?
Answer: Yes, as well as Flying Type attacks since we learned that Max Airstream was super busted in Generation 8. All Fighting, Poison, and Flying Type moves will be weakened in Base Power by 33%. For example, Close Combat will have 80 Base Power.

Question: Would moves like Stealth Rocks set up Sandstorm?
Answer: No, because Status Moves don't have secondary effects.
Resources:

Playability:
This format is not playable yet.

Council:
:iron bundle:Gambit_Gamin
Ban History: None yet.

Dynamax Move Effects:
:snorlax: Normal Type Moves: Lowers target's Speed by One. Works well for support mons.
:arcanine: Fire Type Moves: Sets up the Sun for five turns. Works well with Chlorophyll mons.
:gyarados: Water Type Moves: Sets up the Rain for five turns. Works well with Swift Swim mons.
:ferrothorn: Grass Type Moves: Sets up Grassy Terrain for five turns. Works well with Grassy Glide mons and defensive mons.
:corviknight: Flying Type Moves: Raises user's Speed by One. Works well for sweeper mons.
:scyther: Bug Type Moves: Lowers target's Special Attack by One. Works well with support mons.
:tyranitar: Rock Type Moves: Sets up Sandstorm for five turns. Works well with bulky Rock Types and Sand Rush mons.
:excadrill: Ground Type Moves: Raises user's Special Defense by One. Works well with defensive mons.
:zapdos: Electric Type Moves: Sets up Electric Terrain for five turns. Works well for offensive Electric Types.
:conkeldurr: Fighting Type Moves: Raises the user's Attack by One. Works well with offensive sweepers.
:iron bundle: Ice Type Moves: Sets up the Snow for five turns. Works well with defensive ice types and Blizzard users.
:alakazam: Psychic Type Moves: Sets up Psychic Terrain for five turns. Works well on offensive Psychic Types.
:dragapult: Ghost Type Moves: Lowers the target's Defense by One. Works well with Physical Ghost Types.
:glimmora: Poison Type Moves: Raises the user's Special Attack by One. Works well with Special sweepers.
:dragonite: Dragon Type Moves: Lowers the target's Attack by One. Works well with defensive Dragon Types.
:kingambit: Dark Type Moves: Lowers the target's Special Defense by One. Works well with Special Dark Types.
:steelix: Steel Type Moves: Raises the user's Defense by One. Does well on Defensive Steel mons.
:clefable: Fairy Type Moves: Sets up Misty Terrain for five turns. It sucks.

Hidden Metagame

Remember back in Old gens when there was hidden power and Return?. Today I am going to present the Hidden Metagame in which all dexited moves [except Pursuit(move is unfair)] gets re added. Also Permanant weather is now a thing! This is a metagame which gives old gens Nostalgia.. Also Terrain abilities are Permanant.

Rules:

Mechanic:
All moves that got dexited in gen 8 besides Pursuit are Added. Hidden Power works like tera blast now as it uses the user's higher attack stat to determine whether physical or special. Also Hidden Power is 65 BP [average of 60 and 70]. Weather Abilities like Drought Drizzle Snow Warning Sand Stream and Sand Spit remains Permanant unless changed. Same Logic Applies to Terrain abilities of pschic misty grassy and electric surges aswell as seed sower.
Clauses: Sleep Clause (Limit one foe put to sleep), Species Clause (Limit one of each Pokemon), OHKO Clause (OHKO moves are banned), Evasion Items Clause (Evasion Items are banned), Evasion Moves Clause (Evasion Moves are banned)
Banlist:
Banned Items:

Increased Viability

Mons like Basculegion get better with access to stab HP Ghost [remember its either physical or special] aswell as all weather based mons like the weather setters and abusers like charizard scovillain barraskewda etc...

UT

No, I’m not coming to my senses
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Remember back in Generation 8 when we had Dynamax,
All OM submissions should be based on current gen mechanics / premise; a meta centered on dmax will likely not be accepted.
All moves that got dexited in gen 8 besides Pursuit are Added. Hidden Power works like tera blast now as it uses the user's higher attack stat to determine whether physical or special. Also Hidden Power is 65 BP [average of 60 and 70]. Weather Abilities like Drought Drizzle Snow Warning Sand Stream and Sand Spit remains Permanant unless changed. Same Logic Applies to Terrain abilities of pschic misty grassy and electric surges aswell as seed sower.
Adding back dexited moves likely would get rejected as a premise anyway, since that competes heavily with NatDex / has issues with implementing as an OM. Additionally, each OM should only have one premise, so adding back moves AND modifying how weather / terrain work would be a non-starter

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
back again with yet another idea...
Dyna Moves
Remember back in Generation 8 when we had Dynamax, and that all Dynamax Moves had special secondary effects? Well today, I am here to present to you, Dyna Moves! In this metagame, all moves have special secondary moves based on the typing of those moves!

Rules:

Mechanic: All moves grant special secondary effects based on the typing of the move.
Banlist:
Banned Items:
Watchlist:
:iron valiant:Iron Valiant
:iron moth:Iron Moth

Strategy:

Increased Viability:

:iron valiant: Fastest pokemon in the entire game with Booster Energy Speed + this mon is able to launch Attack Boosting Close Combats to deal massive damage and get progressively stronger.
:iron moth: Literally the exact same as Iron Valiant, instead with Special Attack Boosting Sludge Waves.

Decreased Viability:
:clefable: Fairy Types like Clefable have arguably the worst effect when using Fairy Type Moves as all they do is set up Misty Terrain, which only prevents Status and weakens Dragon Type moves. Rip Clefable.

Q&A:

Question
: Do my Pokemon get their regular secondary effects when using an attack?
Answer: Yes. If a Great Tusk uses Rapid Spin, it will remove Hazards, boost Great Tusk's Speed, and lower the opposing Pokemon's Speed, which is the Dynamax effect.

Question: Do my Status moves get benefits from Max Guard?
Answer: No cause that is stupid and could be broken.

Question: Are Fighting and Poison Type attacks weakened like Max Knuckle and Max Ooze in Pokemon Sword+Shield?
Answer: Yes, as well as Flying Type attacks since we learned that Max Airstream was super busted in Generation 8. All Fighting, Poison, and Flying Type moves will be weakened in Base Power by 33%. For example, Close Combat will have 80 Base Power.

Question: Would moves like Stealth Rocks set up Sandstorm?
Answer: No, because Status Moves don't have secondary effects.
Resources:

Playability:
This format is not playable yet.

Council:
:iron bundle:Gambit_Gamin
Ban History: None yet.

Dynamax Move Effects:
:snorlax: Normal Type Moves: Lowers target's Speed by One. Works well for support mons.
:arcanine: Fire Type Moves: Sets up the Sun for five turns. Works well with Chlorophyll mons.
:gyarados: Water Type Moves: Sets up the Rain for five turns. Works well with Swift Swim mons.
:ferrothorn: Grass Type Moves: Sets up Grassy Terrain for five turns. Works well with Grassy Glide mons and defensive mons.
:corviknight: Flying Type Moves: Raises user's Speed by One. Works well for sweeper mons.
:scyther: Bug Type Moves: Lowers target's Special Attack by One. Works well with support mons.
:tyranitar: Rock Type Moves: Sets up Sandstorm for five turns. Works well with bulky Rock Types and Sand Rush mons.
:excadrill: Ground Type Moves: Raises user's Special Defense by One. Works well with defensive mons.
:zapdos: Electric Type Moves: Sets up Electric Terrain for five turns. Works well for offensive Electric Types.
:conkeldurr: Fighting Type Moves: Raises the user's Attack by One. Works well with offensive sweepers.
:iron bundle: Ice Type Moves: Sets up the Snow for five turns. Works well with defensive ice types and Blizzard users.
:alakazam: Psychic Type Moves: Sets up Psychic Terrain for five turns. Works well on offensive Psychic Types.
:dragapult: Ghost Type Moves: Lowers the target's Defense by One. Works well with Physical Ghost Types.
:glimmora: Poison Type Moves: Raises the user's Special Attack by One. Works well with Special sweepers.
:dragonite: Dragon Type Moves: Lowers the target's Attack by One. Works well with defensive Dragon Types.
:kingambit: Dark Type Moves: Lowers the target's Special Defense by One. Works well with Special Dark Types.
:steelix: Steel Type Moves: Raises the user's Defense by One. Does well on Defensive Steel mons.
:clefable: Fairy Type Moves: Sets up Misty Terrain for five turns. It sucks.
This idea has been submitted a few times already, and it was rejected because it is just impossible to balance for similar reasons Dynamax was, Flying moves become broken in general, Fighting and Poison too to a lesser degree, so do all the weather and terrain setter types, they make HO too difficult to handle.
I do think that using past gen ideas is fine as long as there is a reason and is not just bringing back an old mechanic to turn current gen into a lite version of a previous format, so it would be fine in that regard, the problem is that is a broken idea.

Hidden Metagame

Remember back in Old gens when there was hidden power and Return?. Today I am going to present the Hidden Metagame in which all dexited moves [except Pursuit(move is unfair)] gets re added. Also Permanant weather is now a thing! This is a metagame which gives old gens Nostalgia.. Also Terrain abilities are Permanant.

Rules:

Mechanic:
Banlist:
Banned Items:

Increased Viability

Mons like Basculegion get better with access to stab HP Ghost [remember its either physical or special] aswell as all weather based mons like the weather setters and abusers like charizard scovillain barraskewda etc...
I suggest not copying my list of banned pokemon. I allow pokemon such as Gliscor, Iron Bundle, and Volcarona and if you don't think those mons should be allowed, then you should really make your own list.
All OM submissions should be based on current gen mechanics / premise; a meta centered on dmax will likely not be accepted.
If that is the case, then why is Mix and Mega allowed? Is it due to the fact that Megas are much more popular than Dynamax?
This idea has been submitted a few times already, and it was rejected because it is just impossible to balance for similar reasons Dynamax was, Flying moves become broken in general, Fighting and Poison too to a lesser degree, so do all the weather and terrain setter types, they make HO too difficult to handle.
I do think that using past gen ideas is fine as long as there is a reason and is not just bringing back an old mechanic to turn current gen into a lite version of a previous format, so it would be fine in that regard, the problem is that is a broken idea.
I can see your point about this metagame being unbalanced, but I do think with the right precautions that this metagame could work. For example, I would think that a ban on Flip Turn would be smart since it would literally be Chilly Reception that sets up Rain, as well as a ban on Grassy Glide. Do you think that damage debuffs for Water and Fire moves could allow this metagame to work?
I am going to assume you also saw that Fighting, Poison, and Flying Type moves are debuffed since they are extremely broken.

KaenSoul

Community Leader
I can see your point about this metagame being unbalanced, but I do think with the right precautions that this metagame could work. For example, I would think that a ban on Flip Turn would be smart since it would literally be Chilly Reception that sets up Rain, as well as a ban on Grassy Glide. Do you think that damage debuffs for Water and Fire moves could allow this metagame to work?
I am going to assume you also saw that Fighting, Poison, and Flying Type moves are debuffed since they are extremely broken.
You still have to deal with a lot of problems dynamax caused because of its moves, mostly how broken flying types become, you end up with multiple types that need to be heavily limited to get any level of balance.

You still have to deal with a lot of problems dynamax caused because of its moves, mostly how broken flying types become, you end up with multiple types that need to be heavily limited to get any level of balance.
I guess I am beginning to see what you mean. I also saw that many mons have access to Acrobatics and I just created a set that I think would certainly be overpowered.
:rillaboom: @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Flying
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
I also realized that Drain Punch would be pretty busted considering the fact that it would restore HP and raise Attack every time you used it. Even with the attack debuffs for Fighting and Flying Type Moves.

Idea for an om idk if its been made this is my first time here it is

don't have a name yet;a pokemon have five moves but the 5th move is the ability where the pokemon can chose to activate the effect of its ability like klaufs anger shell would have it just use its ability or palifan can chose to vo hero no switching

don't have a name yet;a pokemon have five moves but the 5th move is the ability where the pokemon can chose to activate the effect of its ability like klaufs anger shell would have it just use its ability or palifan can chose to vo hero no switching
A lot of abilities don't have affects that could be activated by using a move, and most of the ones that do are not very good (e.g. Intimidate as a move is just Growl, and nobody runs Growl because it's bad). There are very few abilities that would actually be worth using as moves, and none of them would be great (apart from Anger Point, which would probably need to be banned), so in practice this wouldn't be much different from OU.

There's a neat idea in here i think but we'd need to like, figure out how to properly quantify what an ability does vs like, activation requirements.
So the obv example is intimidate right? Its activation requirement would usually be switching in, but if you turn it into a move it acts like growl, simple easy to understand. But then you get to say, static. Is static an ability that, 30% of the time on contact, triggers a move that attempts to para? or is it an ability that, 30% of the time retaliates against contact damage with paralysis similar to how bunker poisons?

I have a couple of ideas. Here are basic summaries.

1) a metagame inspired by ogerpon where moves are used based on the type you terastalize to, and each monster can terastalize once. It's basically everything wrong with tera but multiplied by 10. examples:
Steel - uses "protect" at the start of the turn
Poison - uses "toxic" at the start of the turn
Electric - uses "thunder wave" at the start of the turn

2) soul stealer - when an enemy's pokemon dies, the one that killed them gains a percentage of their stats for the rest of the battle.

3) time stop - you can skip your opponent's turn, once per battle instead of terastalizing. if you both use it simultaneously, the fight continues as normal.

4) inverse damage - damage is just inverted. probably hasnt been made because people would just spam heal pulse while holding black sludge.

1) a metagame inspired by ogerpon where moves are used based on the type you terastalize to, and each monster can terastalize once. It's basically everything wrong with tera but multiplied by 10. examples:

2) soul stealer - when an enemy's pokemon dies, the one that killed them gains a percentage of their stats for the rest of the battle.

3) time stop - you can skip your opponent's turn, once per battle instead of terastalizing. if you both use it simultaneously, the fight continues as normal.

4) inverse damage - damage is just inverted. probably hasnt been made because people would just spam heal pulse while holding black sludge.
A lot of interesting ideas! Heres what I gotta say about them:
1. Seems somewhat confusing. I would need this one further explained to me. What if I have Tera Water? What move would I use?
2. Sounds very interesting but seems like it could be unbalanced. Also, what is the percentage of the stat that is taken?
3. I also like this one as well, but similar to soul stealer it could be unbalanced. For example I could just skip the oppponet's turn and set up a Swords Dance with an Iron Valiant, and I basically win the game, but regardless, very interesting but needs to be balanced.
4. There aren't enough moves that heal the opponent so I think this one is not good. Plus pretty much all healing moves heal by percentage so I do not think this would do well at all, no offense.
I really like 2 and 3 but see what the mods say about it. In the future, if you have any more ideas, try to explain them in more depth as well as try to give the metagame more thought first before submitting the metagame here. Overall, great ideas.

This a pet mod, but even then, it’s not changing too much

A lot of interesting ideas! Heres what I gotta say about them:
1. Seems somewhat confusing. I would need this one further explained to me. What if I have Tera Water? What move would I use?
2. Sounds very interesting but seems like it could be unbalanced. Also, what is the percentage of the stat that is taken?
3. I also like this one as well, but similar to soul stealer it could be unbalanced. For example I could just skip the oppponet's turn and set up a Swords Dance with an Iron Valiant, and I basically win the game, but regardless, very interesting but needs to be balanced.
4. There aren't enough moves that heal the opponent so I think this one is not good. Plus pretty much all healing moves heal by percentage so I do not think this would do well at all, no offense.
I really like 2 and 3 but see what the mods say about it. In the future, if you have any more ideas, try to explain them in more depth as well as try to give the metagame more thought first before submitting the metagame here. Overall, great ideas.
1. It's up in the air. Probably rain dance.
2. Likely 15%
3. "Time Stop" is pretty similar to terastallization in the sense that it enables setup but it can also be used to disable setup and kill through priority. We might end up seeing a bulky setup meta with things like dondozo. However this metagame seems like too little has been changed and might more in the category of a generational gimmick.
4. Yeah this one would create a circus full of toxic orb holders and people tricking leftovers or spamming heal pulse. It's too similar to "The Loser's Game."

I will keep that in mind, when I think of a good metagame I'll go into greater detail.

Another take on 4) sounding too much like The Loser's Game (and being a lot harder to program into Showdown):

Spamming Heal Pulse while holding Black Sludge is great.

So people use Substitute to make progress and block Heal Pulse.

And people use Taunt to prevent you from using Heal Pulse, Substitute, and more.

And people use Trick and Knock Off to ensure you don't have Black Sludge anymore.

Next thing you know, people are using entry hazards and Court Change so they can reap the benefits of hazards on their own side.

You try to remove them with Defog or even Rapid Spin, nuh uh - they switch in Gholdengo!

Oh yeah, did I mention Magic Bounce reflecting Heal Pulse and more?

I agree with others that this meta will be pointedly grindier and slower-paced and/or with significantly less Pokemon diversity than The Loser's Game due to poor distribution of opponent healing (a lot of Pokemon are reduced to Tricking Leftovers/Sitrus Berry/healing pinch berries or spamming Grassy Terrain, Heal Pulse has poor distribution, Pain Split pretty much can't land a KO, relatively few Pokemon can pull off Entrainment/Skill Swap with an ability that normally heals under some condition - e.g. Volt Absorb, Regenerator). On the other hand, at least Gholdengo actually looks like an insta-quickban here due to being immune to pretty much every opponent-healer but Grassy Terrain!

There's also the part where Struggle healing you instead of damaging you sounds horrible when it comes to making sure that games actually end.

skippergamez is bang on here. Idea 1 is a petmod idea. OMs revolve around one consistent concept that changes the game meaningfully. What you put here reminded me of the move changes that happened to Pokemon when they dynamaxxed (i.e. rock sets up sandstorm, steel increases defence by 1), but using Tera mechanics.

The central issue here is that Gamefreak gimmicks make for terrible OMs. Like with the Dmax buffs, all the changes here are arbitrary. I'm not saying this to downplay the idea. If we got 1000 people to organise this metagame concept, we'd see different boosts. In fact, my first thought reading this post was, "Why the hell is Steel a Protect at the start of the turn?". I can imagine a hundred more thinking the same and 100 kindred souls agreeing with you citing King's Shield. If you explain the mechanics of an OM, you generally don't find people questioning the line of reasoning behind it. There are very few exceptions, almost always when something comes up within the game's code (see STAB and BH changes).

Pro tip: Starting with "everything wrong with tera but multiplied by 10" is not a good way to pitch your idea to the Shark Tank. Highlight the good stuff, downplay or ignore the bad; it's Persuasion 101.

This is an interesting idea. It's like the stat buffs of Frantic Fusion but in battle. A big concern is implementing a code for this to work since (from my understanding) base stats don't usually change in the middle of battle. All formats that change stats (Scalemons, Frantic Fusion, Flipped, 350 Cup, etc.) do so at the start of the game or as a result of a specific form change (Mix and Mega).

I was thinking about alternatives for this, but all the ones I have (i.e. an omniboost per kill OR a supreme overlord counter where every kill makes you change a form) are First Blood clones but with a dash of false hope. The second idea is also a crazy programming exercise for a low gain.

I don't know if this changes anything about team building for the better. Most teams would be similar in style to Gen 9 OU, and the changes from standard OU benefit turbostall or hyper-offense more than balance or bulky offense. The ability to cancel a Pokemon's move once is useless 99% of the game and game-breaking the 1% it gets used. That's not even counting the mind games involved in cancelling the cancellation.

4) inverse damage - damage is just inverted. probably hasn't been made because people would just spam heal pulse while holding black sludge.
Few moves heal the opponent for this to work as a metagame. I think The Loser's Game fits your concept better since there is a diversity of strategies that you can use. Even if damage isn't inverted in that metagame, you generally don't want to damage your opponents since the goal is to wipe out first. You see the same strategies, too: lots of heal pulse spam, and virtually every Pokemon carries Black Sludge. The Loser's Game also offers tactics beyond just spamming heal pulse and holding black sludge.

yeah Lectrys sniped me. Well played.

Last edited:
Ok, I have 2 more ideas to share:

Gamemode 1: Treasures of Ruin

Concept - You can name your pokemon after a stat, and it will halve that stat of the opponent. Having a ceruledge named "Defense" would basically turn it into Chien-Pao on steroids. Might make sense to just double your stat, naming ceruledge "Attack" instead, then Foul Play would be like a delete button, and Body Press would be insane.

Banned Characters - Arceus, Calyrex-Shadow, Hoopa-U (namely the ones named "Speed"), any attacker with no switch-ins.
Banned Moves - Extreme Speed, lots of priority moves, Swords Dance and Nasty Plot suspicious.

Monsters named "Speed" would be pretty cool revenge killers or even makeshift walls. We still run into some concerns with Iron Defense + Body Press since physical walls would be named "Attack" and aren't taking half damage from it. However, physical attackers would be in a good position against it so it might not be too advisable unless you have a way to handle them.

Might see trick room strategies just to ignore speed halvers and take advantage of a boost.

Gamemode 2: Overkill

Concept - When you deal fatal damage, the actual percentage shows, and is deducted from the opponent's monsters in order. If I do 300% to the foe's 6th pokemon, their first and second will faint too. This does not deduct raw HP, just ratio. So if your blissey gets OHKO'd your team won't vanish.

Banned Characters - Chi Yu, Chien Pao, Kyogre, Arceus, Ursuluna BM, Other unholy attackers
Banned Moves - Trapping Moves

You'd have to be cautious about making a sacrificial switch, and the metagame would probably gravitate towards bulky heavy-hitters. But the threat of a fast sweeper would still be valid. We might see trick room strategies because bulk is hard to compromise in this meta. Additionally, healing wish offers a nice and safe way out without having to get bopped and risk other allies getting hurt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)