Metagross

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hone Claws isn't that useful in Metagross honestly, I much prefer to just use Agility three attacks. Metagross just needs a bit of support to clear right through a team, you can even use Balloon (or Lum for Prankster Twaves) if you want to give yourself another opportunity to set up. Though I like Life Orb. Metagross' bulky sets are also still really helpful, running Pursuit and trapping Latios and sometimes Latias. It's kind of disheartening to see Metagross only the 33 most used pokemon, since with it's fantastic stats and typing it can really just crush most teams.

CB Gross is also really good with Hammer Arm MM Pursuit Zen/EQ

Seconding CB Gross, it is an absolute beast. I like Bullet Punch in the last slot, though, since the priority is nice.

CB Gross is still really good and definitely underrated.

I think the idea behind a Hone Claws set has to be treated differently, perhaps something like this:

Metagross @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Adamant / Clear Body

Hone Claws
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Ice Punch/Bullet Punch

Play up its bulk more than its speed, and the fact that the only thing that will 1hko it is STAB Fire Blast or CB super effective attacks. Ice Punch nabs a 1hko on defensive Gliscor, other attacks give good coverage. Walled/phazed by Skarm, but as last pokemon it will win.

Trick is great against walls, (Ferrothorn/Skarmory, etc...) it can really let a teammate have a clean sweep. Explosion or Trick also lets CB Gross check Reuniclus too. And Bullet Punch is useful priority.
I think of CBGross as this "offensive utility" Pokemon with its great bulk and resistances, and ability to check/annoy stuff, as well as hit like a truck with CB Meteor Mash if needed.

whoa whoa, I just used hone claws metagross with parashuffler d-nite and I'm impressed by the results.

I use:
Metagross@Lum berry
Adamant
252 attack/ 252 hp/ 4 speed
~Hone claws
~Meteor accurate mash
~Zen headbutt
~Hammer arm

D-nite@Leftovers
Careful
252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
~ Substitute
~ Thunder Wave
~ Roost
~ Dragon Tail

Firstly both these mons have excellent type synergy.
Secondly after spreading tonnes of paralysis and weakening mons with hazard damage, metagross has a easier time sweeping.

I can give a longer explanation but i am too lazy. Just try it.

Yeah sure +1 Attack +1 accuracy Metagross is great, nobody is denying that. However, without your paralysis support (or something like Tailwind) it really can't deal with regular counters despite its good bulk

The bulk isn't that great with Draco Meteors flying about, since Metagross needs to sacrifice on a lot of power to build up its defences. The base 135 attack really needs to be maxed to do good damage, so you either have a lousy Jirachi knockoff or a team slot that could be taken up by a different SDefensive steel.

Yeah sure +1 Attack +1 accuracy Metagross is great, nobody is denying that. However, without your paralysis support (or something like Tailwind) it really can't deal with regular counters despite its good bulk
fair points, won't deny it. sadly his coverage sucks and he doesn't get sd, otherwise i would have suggested a double dancing set.

@min min

nah, jirachi doesn't really hit hard. thats what differentiates the 2.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Metagross was useful for taking +1 Earthquake from the likes of Salamence, Gyarados and Dragonite, whilst still boasting an incredible Choice Band Meteor Mash that would tear anything in two; though anything resisting it is likely to fall short from an incoming Earthquake/Thunderpunch. You can also slightly adjust its spread to take Landorus out in a one-on-one confrontation. A pseudo-legendary that had the upper hand in scenarios where both you and your opponent had them in play.

Jirachi required defensive investment to have a shot at taking Sand Force Earthquake, but it's better suited for walling the special side of the spectrum a a whole. But the defensive Calm Mind set does showcase its physically defensive capabilities.

While both Metagross and Jirachi share the same dual-typing, they perform differently when either are used in a competitive environment.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Was there some kind of defensive spread besides 252 HP that allowed him to use that? According to the numbers I get, he's still soundly OHKOed by a +1 LO EQ. Come to think of it, I don't remember him EVER living a +1 EQ back in DPP.

And taking Landorus 1-on-1? I'm confused, are we assuming Leftovers with no Sand? That seems like a pretty unlikely occurrence.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Sand Force Jolly 252 Atk Landorus EQ vs 252/4 Metagross = 90% - 107% (41% chance to OHKO, 79% chance with SR)

+1 Adamant Dragonite EQ vs 252/4 Metagross = 80% - 94% (2% chance to OHKO with SR)

start throwing Life Orbs into equations and it's almost always an OHKO (even +1 Jolly 'Mence manages it around 75% of the time)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)