DPP Ubers Meteor Shower: an Offensive Ubers Team

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview

This team has been my most successful Ubers team yet, peaking at a rating of 1722, which at the time was #4 on the leaderboard. Meteor Shower is one of the few Ubers teams specifically built around its lead; I was thinking about the various tasks an Ubers anti-lead has to accomplish, and I realized that Ubers has a strong Pokemon that can do almost all of them: Rayquaza. I have a few variations of this team, but they all have two Pokemon in common: Rayquaza and Dialga, the core of Dragons taking advantage of the relatively small pool of Steel types in Ubers.

Playstyle

Meteor Shower is textbook Ubers bulky offense, with a strong Dragons-and-Steel(s) orientation. It relies heavily on seizing momentum from the opponent from the very first turn, and not relinquishing it until the game is over. I generally scout for and attempt to outpredict and eliminate enemy Steels early in the game, then spam high-powered Dragon attacks to weaken the opponent enough to sweep. Although this team is not especially weather-dependent and functions comfortable in either Rain or Sun, I prefer not to have to deal with Kingdra specifically, so I like to try to take out Kyogre early when I see it so Groudon can give me the clear advantage.

The Team

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 42 Atk/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Brick Break
- Extremespeed
- Fire Blast

The star of the show, leadQuaza puts me in a favorable position over the huge majority of Ubers leads. Able to reliably 2HKO even max HP Deoxys-S with Fire Blast + Extremespeed, it doesn't even need to use Draco Meteor to keep Deoxys-S from getting Spikes down, allowing it to keep the pressure up on the opponent. Draco Meteor allows it to OHKO Groudon and Dialga without a massive SpD investment, and 2HKO even the ones that do. As a result, most opponents have to choose between losing their lead and getting Stealth Rock up. Fire Blast also deals nicely with lead Forretress and Scizor. Although I will sacrifice Rayquaza if necessary to take down the other lead without allowing in entry hazards, it usually isn't necessary to do so, and serves as an ordinary MixQuaza for the rest of the game. I use Brick Break over Outrage because of Tyranitar, not wanting to be locked in against Blissey, and because MixQuaza with Brick Break almost single-handedly demolishes Mew Baton Pass teams.

Dialga @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 6 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock

Dialga gives me a number of useful resistances, notable Water, Rock, Bug and Dark, and is my mid-team Stealth Rock user of choice. It has lots of opportunities to come in and force the opponent out, which is perfect for setting up Stealth Rock. 306 speed is actually not bad at all in Ubers, since most of the other base 90 Pokemon do not use max speed, and even Giratina-o usually has HP Fire. Draco Meteor hits like a ton of bricks, especially boosted by Life Orb. Flamethrower is for Scizor, Forretress and Skarmory. Outrage keeps Dialga from being walled by Blissey, and allows Dialga to 2HKO max HP Kyogre (which it can't with Brick Break). I don't really mind being "walled" by Heatran considered that the rest of my team isn't bothered by Heatran very much (especially slow Heatran) and a full-power Draco Meteor does 48.5% - 57.4% to 4 HP/0 SpD Heatran anyway.

Scizor (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP/22 Atk/76 Def/168 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Roost

Scizor plays the critically important role of being my only Dragon-resist, a very important job in Ubers. I tend to play pretty conservatively with Scizor, knowing that one misprediction could be trouble against enemy Dragons. U-turn is great for maintaining momentum, one of the keys to this team's success. Superpower is for Dialga and Heatran. I have often considered changing Scizor to SpD Jirachi (which fears mispredicting less), but U-turn and a second priority user are too important to this team to pass up.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Every Ubers team needs something to switch into Kyogre's Water Spouts and something to revenge kill very fast Pokemon like Mewtwo and Darkrai, and Scarf Palkia happily fills both these roles. Even more fortuitously, it 4x resists Fire, making it excellent for pivots involving Scizor and Groudon. Surf and Fire Blast make Palkia equally comfortable in either Sun or Rain, and discourage Steels from switching in. I absolutely despise Choiced Thunder in Ubers, so Outrage is a rather obvious choice for the fourth move to not be walled by Blissey.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 200 HP/112 Atk/108 Def/88 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Groudon is something of a utility Pokemon for this team; it changes the weather against Rain teams, helps a lot against Jolly Lucario, and protects me from Swords Dance Rayquaza. Spreading paralysis is a pretty devious tactic in Ubers, and ParaDancer Groudon is an expert at it. Ironically, Groudon is one of my team's best options against Lugia.

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
EVs: 26 Atk/232 Spd/252 SAtk
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Selfdestruct
- Flamethrower

The best late-game sweeper in Pokemon, hands down. Life Orb Mewtwo absolutely tears holes in the other team, either setting up a late sweep for Rayquaza or Palkia or actually sweeping on its own. Selfdestruct is great for taking out anything I recognize could be trouble, such as Kyogre or Ho-oh. I use Flamethrower over Thunder because the rest of my team will absolutely slaughter any team that loses Scizor, Jirachi or Forretress to Mewtwo.

Threat List

(Threat list stolen from Jibaku, who stole it from Ashley!)

The Ubers
Darkrai: Once something has absorbed sleep, Scizor does well against it, Palkia can outspeed it, and Mewtwo outspeeds and OHKOs. Having two priority users really helps.

Deoxys-A: Rayquaza and Scizor take it out with priority.

Deoxys-D: This can actually be an issue since it can PP stall out Draco Meteor, but if Groudon manages to paralyze it it will usually die soon after.

Deoxys-S: Rayquaza handles all versions without Ice Beam handily. Scizor handles those that do have Ice Beam.

Dialga: The most annoying Pokemon in existence to predict around....I go to Scizor if I predict a Dragon move, then Groudon if it uses Bulk Up.

Garchomp: Determining whether Garchomp is Scarf, Band or Swords Dance in most of the battle; going to Groudon is usually the safest move, Mewtwo and Palkia both outspeed Garchomp if it has Swords Dance.

Giratina: Dialga and Rayquaza both bury Giratina with Draco Meteor. Groudon can actually win once it gets 2-3 Swords Dances.

Giratina-O:
If it comes in on Groudon I usually pivot to Scizor and then to Palkia, if it comes in on Scizor I usually go to Palkia. If it comes in on Mewtwo I go to Dialga (to take Shadow Sneak).
Groudon: Rock Polish Groudon is one of the big reasons I have my own Groudon. Weaken it with Groudon, if necessary finish it with priority.

Ho-oh: Horribly annoying if Stealth Rock isn't up. Try to KO it or at least do as much as I can with Dialga's Draco Meteor + Outrage, then finish it with Mewtwo/Palkia/Rayquaza. If it comes in at 100% when Mewtwo is out, I often Selfdestruct on sight.

Kyogre: I usually go to Palkia first, unless I have reason to suspect it will have Thunder Wave. Not much of a strategy here, just "attack it and kill it". Non-Scarf Kyogre is too slow to hurt my team if I don't switch a lot and mispredict.

Latias: Go to Scizor to take the Dragon move, U-turn. A little scary if it has HP Fire, but Mewtwo and Palkia are my safety nets. Latias has a habit of switching into Thunder Waves from Groudon, which makes things easier.

Latios: Much the same as Latias, though I am more wary of HP Fire.

Lugia: Ordinary Reflect Lugia is no problem at all, but SubCM Lugia is big trouble. Groudon handles most ordinary Lugia, and Mewtwo finishes what Groudon starts. Beating SubCM requires this team to be....creative....though.

Manaphy: Tail Glow Manaphy is handled by Palkia, Hydration abusers are taken care of neatly by Groudon as they Rest. One of the reasons my team prefers Sun to Rain.

Mew: leadQuaza shuts down Mew Baton Pass completely. Brick Break away the screens, then 2HKO with Draco Meteor + Extremespeed.

Mewtwo: I usually go to Scizor first; if it shows Leftovers, I U-turn, if Life Orb, I go to Palkia.

Palkia: Scizor takes Dragon attacks, basically predict around it, attack it and kill it.

Rayquaza: Ironically, MixQuaza isn't fun to face at all. Dragon Dance Rayquaza is handled adequately by Palkia and Groudon, Swords Dance is handled well enough by Groudon. Having two priority users really helps.

Shaymin-S: Figuring out the set is the key. Dialga is usually a good first switch. Mewtwo and Palkia each outspeed and potentially OHKO. Having two priority users helps a lot.

Wobbuffet: When Wobbuffet comes in determines how much trouble it is. What can you ever do to Wobbuffet except "attack it and kill it"?

The Non-Ubers

Blissey: If it has Toxic, Scizor and Dialga come in pretty much at will, if it has Thunder Wave, Groudon does. 2HKOed by pretty much my entire team.
Forretress: Fire Blast it, Flamethrower it, +2 Earthquake it. Only Scizor doesn't like it, and it can just U-turn out.

Heatran: A bigger problem on paper than in practice; just attack it and kill it, pivoting to Palkia when necessary.

Kingdra: Easily handled by Groudon in Sun. Keeping Sun up is the best way to deal with Kingdra. Rayquaza and Scizor help, should the worst occur.
Lucario: Very edgy if Wobbuffet helps it set up; Adamant Lucario is no threat because of Dialga; Jolly Lucario needs to win a speed tie with Dialga; does 79.8% - 93.9% to Groudon which is an issue if my opponent somehow has gotten up Spikes but otherwise is okay.
Ludicolo: Palkia and Dialga do okay against it, keeping Sun up makes it easy to handle.

Metagross: Groudon handles it well, as does Dialga. My team has a lot of Fire moves, so Metagross isn't a big deal.

Ninjask: HUGE problem. Two priority users are all that save me a lot of the time. Basically have to predict when it will BP, and hit the target with a Draco Meteor.

Scizor: Walled nicely by Dialga and Groudon, plus almost everything has a Fire move and outspeeds anyway.

Skarmory: Dialga, Rayquaza, and Mewtwo can all hit it with Fire attacks, Groudon can beat it one-on-one at the end of a game, but would prefer not to let it Spike.

Tyranitar: Attack it and kill it with whatever is out; all of my Pokemon can hurt Tyranitar badly, but I hate it when it Pursuits Palkia. ;_;

Thank you for reading, and for sharing your opinions! A special shout out to tito, for independently using leadQuaza!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello reach, this is a fantastic team and I honestly can't find a whole lot of stuff to change myself lol (which is bad for this post but I want to post anyways because there are a few things I want to mention!)

I would consider moving the Attack EVs into Speed EVs, maximizing the latter stat. Although it might seem like an odd choice due to the fact that Rayquaza is the only thing that sits at base 95 Speed, consider that the 36 Attack EVs don't do a whole much in the first place: Blissey is still 2HKOed, Heatran is still 2HKOed, and you can still nail Deoxys-S with ESpeed + Fire Blast, and Dialga with Draco Meteor + Brick Break. The Speed tie against opposing Rayquaza might be important as you might face an opposing Leadquaza (who usually don't carry max Speed as of this post), and smite it before it can do anything to you. Of course, unless you have another way of dealing with enemy Leadquaza that I'm unaware of.

Another option is I had in mind was Rash mixquaza as it allows Deoxys-S to be 2HKOed by Flamethrower + ES and Groudon to almost always be OHKOed by DM, but I decided against that because Giratina-O can come in on a predicted ES and destroy Ray otherwise.

On the same vein, I would recommend maxing Speed on Mewtwo - the ability to tie against opposing Mewtwo is probably more significant than the extra 5 points in attack IMO

A large issue on this team that you haven't pointed out is Taunt / Will-o-Wisp / Light Screen Mewtwo. Will-o-Wisp means that Scizor does ~31% maximum with U-turn (vs max HP/no Def Mewtwo lol), and Light Screen nullifies the immensely powerful Draco Meteors your team can blast towards it. While yes, Rayquaza's Brick Break can destroy the Light Screen, Mewtwo is faster and can simply put up another Screen on the following turn while Rayquaza suffers from actually doing less damage to Mewtwo via Brick Break than it is to itself due to Life Orb recoil (and not to mention, if Rayquaza gets burned, lol). Unfortunately, the closest thing I have to a fix here is Heatran over Dialga, which I don't think your team really wants as you may encounter CMRestTalk Kyogre issues and lose the ability to 2HKO Blissey barring Flash Fire. However, Heatran does give the team another Dragon resistance, as well as a fire immunity, which gives Scizor some breathing room as it dies often to a single misprediction. This Pokemon isn't something I would recommend, but it is something to consider.

(I didn't mention what Heatran set because I truthfully don't know what would go well on your team. Probably Fire Blast/Dragon Pulse/Stealth Rock/HP Rock or Explosion @ Life Orb or something. It does sort of also help with your Ho-oh and HP Fire Latios weakness, lol)

Although somewhat rare, Swords Dance Rayquaza with Waterfall may pose issues unless Groudon is truly at full health. With everything OHKOed after a Swords Dance (which can be obtained via swapping in after Palkia kills something with Surf/Fire Blast. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to fix this =(

That's all I can give for now

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
this looks like a potent offense team! if you crit my lugia maybe you can even beat am stall............ nah i doubt it!

very cool team grats on #4th, i really like the originality and thought put into the team and all the sets ^_^

Since your palkia lacks thunder,bulky kyogre can be a problem.Lugia walls half of the team and groudon is not always coming out on top of bold lugia that has reflect and ice beam to soften stone edge.Blissey stops mewtwo,unless you explode on her and can easily take a draco meteor from rayquaza then switch to lugia,who can wall most of your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)