XY OU Mmmmm Delicious Gardevoir

INTRODUCTION

While I've been aware of the competitive metagame and have considered myself a competitive player for a while, I just never sat down and made a proper team. When I saw the departure of Aegislash, one thing came into my thoughts: "MEGA GARDEVOIR IS USABLE AGAIN". Naturally, my excitement was not unwarranted as I wanted nothing more than to build a team with her. After some general thoughts, some advice from some friends who are a bit higher up in the battling tier than myself and a few personal tweeks, I came out with something I truly think it worth using. However, I'm always open to changes that can help improve my team's performance, so here I am. RMT!

EDITS

• Went ahead and tested all of TheEnder's suggestions, very pleased with the results, so they've been added.
  • Also tried out Heliosan's Mixed Thundurus spread, very impressed with the results as well.
  • Opted for a Timid nature on Gardevoir for the extra speed.

TEAM PREVIEW

TEAM BUILDING

Alright. Gardevoir, cool. Special attacker. What's that? Access to WoW? Even better. Alright. Moving on.

Greninja is cool right? Yeah Greninja is cool. Another special attacker. A bit faster with different coverage, alright great, fantastic.

Alright, let's throw on a Ferrothorn, cause why the hell not? Set up hazards. Wall physical threats, great, fantastic, awesome.

Alrighty, Thundurus-I is cool right? Everyone loves Thundurus. Paralyzing things. HP Icing things. Sure, this works. Awesome. Great.

Excadrill. Spinning and shit. Sweet. Awesome. Real fast. Revenge killer. Awesome. Great.

Bisharp. Great poke. But that fire weakness all over this team? Mm. No-no.

Latios? Oh wait. I have ONE physical attacker. That's an issue.

Garchomp. Yes. Fantastic. I like it. I LOVE IT.

What's that TheEnder? I should add Ttar because Garchomp is redundant? Wow that sounds great. Thanks man. [:

ASSEMBLE

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace

EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

As I've said before, this is the basis of the team right here. Ever since Aegislash said his goodbyes, Mega Gardevoir has just become more and more attractive (oh God, no put away your waifu-Gardevoir-fanart, get that away, that's not what I meant, ugh). Calm Mind was a choice I wasn't entirely sure of, but the ability to beat stall is just too necessary. The odd 24 Def investment is to be able to survive 2 Psyshocks from Latios (something I'm not completely sold on). While originally choosing a Modest nature for all that power, I decided a Timid nature would be better, cause, GOTTA GO FAST.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory

Greninja, my X/Y starter's final form is a lifesaver at times. I'll be completely honest, this one was chosen less from a competitive standpoint, and more from a personal preference. But I mean, hey, it has an A Class viability ranking, so it has to be able to something well on my team right? In short the blue frog functions as a more reliable revenge killer than my Excadrill (due to its lack of dependency on sand) as well as just flat out taking care of a few major threats to my team with the fantastic boost that it receives from its ability of becoming the STAB.

Ferrothorn (AKA "The Mountain") @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Protect

"No other knight in the realm inspires such terror in our enemies"

Tywin Lannister of Game of Thrones said it best... but then again he was talking about my Ferrothorn's namesake, not the actual Ferrothorn. But this doesn't really matter. Ferrothorn is a team player. As TheEnder has said, Ferrothorn is my "defensive glue". He is my go to man for taking hits unless there's a Heatran facing me down. Ferrothorn was chosen for this exact purpose. Along with its hazards, its just incredibly bulky and nice to have if I don't have anything else that wants to take a hit. The choice between Gyro Ball and Power Whip was a bit difficult for me, but I settled on Power Whip to deal with previously uncovered threats.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic Superpower

Thundurus was chosen mostly (I'll admit) for the crippling abilities of Prankster Thunder Wave. The ability to instantly shut down sweeps is wonderfully convenient. Not only that but this thing's offenses are just amazing. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've swept through portions of teams with this blue genie. While I originally ran Psychic it was suggested to me by TheEnder to run Superpower and a mixed Nature to deal with other threats to my team that weren't well covered previously. Thanks to Heliosan's suggested EV spread, I've been quite happy with the dents it punches in that annoyance called Heatran.

Starmie, I mean, er, Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Excadrill was chosen for two reasons. The main being the obvious: rapid spin. Seeing as how Thundurus is a key player in this team, spin support is necessary for success, and while I have seen the rise of Starmie in the OU meta since Aegislash's departure, I do still believe the mole has an advantage over Patrick Star's cousin. While I thought about using a Defogger instead of the metal-mole, I just can't resist the amount of residual damage I gain from causing so many switches with rocks of my own up. The second reason for having Exca on my team is revenge killing. Sand Rush coupled with a Life Orb and Adamant nature utilizing the synergy of my sixth team member works quite well for outspeeding and KOing any threats while allowing it not to be locked into a Choice Scarf so that if I do choose to get off a Rapid Spin, I don't find myself switching out in order to actually attack again.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Another excellent suggestion by TheEnder. I struggled quite a bit with this sixth slot. The main thing I knew is that I needed a Fire resist. But at the same time, I needed a Physical Attacker. Oh what could fit both roles perfectly? Why Scarfed Tyraniter? YES. PERFECT. Essentially this Ttar does what all Scarfed Ttars do I imagine. Switches in to live non-fighting type attacks, and then kill something with a surprising amount of speed. Bye-bye Charizard and Heatran, you dicks.

IMPORT
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Last edited:

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hey there theninjadoesnotspin, welcome to Smogon :] This is a cool offensive team you got here, and I don't really have a lot of changes to suggest, as the team is really solid.

Firstly though, Garchomp seems really redundant on your team, as you generally don't need a 2nd SR setter, and it's only functioning as a fire-resist atm. Therefore I suggest running Scarf Tyranitar > Garchomp and changing Excadrill's set to a Sand Rush set. With this change, you still have TTar as your switchin to CharY and other fire-types, and it functions as a good rkiller, picking off the likes of Charizard, Thundurus and M-Garde. Excadrill under sand is also much more threatening to offense than the Scarf version, as it affords running Adamant and a Life Orb, which increases it's damage output drastically.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Ice Punch
- Pursuit / Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Onwards, your team and especially Gardevoir, would love if Thundurus ran Superpower > Psychic, as denting Ferrothorn and Chansey would easen Garde's job a lot. The ability to rkill unboosted TTar, Excadrill and Kyurem-B is also vital, and I think it's well worth giving up covarge for MegaSaur to take on these threats.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature

- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Lastly, the defensive "glue" to your team is Ferrothorn, and for it to be able to take on pokes like Greninja, Manaphy and Kyurem-B (no HP Fire), which your team is weak to otherwise, I suggest running a more mixed spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD. This still comes is on Mega Gyarados and Azumarill, but also makes you have better matchup against more teams :)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Protect

That's all I had, hope I helped you with your team :)

Hey there theninjadoesnotspin, welcome to Smogon :] This is a cool offensive team you got here, and I don't really have a lot of changes to suggest, as the team is really solid.

Firstly though, Garchomp seems really redundant on your team, as you generally don't need a 2nd SR setter, and it's only functioning as a fire-resist atm. Therefore I suggest running Scarf Tyranitar > Garchomp and changing Excadrill's set to a Sand Rush set. With this change, you still have TTar as your switchin to CharY and other fire-types, and it functions as a good rkiller, picking off the likes of Charizard, Thundurus and M-Garde. Excadrill under sand is also much more threatening to offense than the Scarf version, as it affords running Adamant and a Life Orb, which increases it's damage output drastically.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch / Ice Punch
- Pursuit / Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Onwards, your team and especially Gardevoir, would love if Thundurus ran Superpower > Psychic, as denting Ferrothorn and Chansey would easen Garde's job a lot. The ability to rkill unboosted TTar, Excadrill and Kyurem-B is also vital, and I think it's well worth giving up covarge for MegaSaur to take on these threats.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature

- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Lastly, the defensive "glue" to your team is Ferrothorn, and for it to be able to take on pokes like Greninja, Manaphy and Kyurem-B (no HP Fire), which your team is weak to otherwise, I suggest running a more mixed spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD. This still comes is on Mega Gyarados and Azumarill, but also makes you have better matchup against more teams :)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Protect

That's all I had, hope I helped you with your team :)
Thanks a lot man! I'll have to try out all the suggestions, they all seem really solid.

I can't argue with the redundancy of Garchomp. I just wasn't sure what else would fit well, but the pairing of Scarf Ttar and Sand Rush Excadrill sounds excellent. The Thundurus and Ferrothorn sets are much appreciated as well!

Hmm, I was suggested this EV spread for a mixed Thundurus.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Perhaps give this spread a try and see how it works? Cool team bro :)

Hmm, I was suggested this EV spread for a mixed Thundurus.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Perhaps give this spread a try and see how it works? Cool team bro :)
Thanks a ton man, I'll try and see if this set does more of what I want it to. :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)