Other Metagames [MnM] Starstorm (Peaked 1672 on MnM Suspect Ladder, 87.8% GXE)

Starstorm

Lunala @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Venusaur @ Red Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpA / 24 SpD
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Growth

Hippowdon @ Venusaurite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Magearna @ Sablenite
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpA / 112 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Heart Swap

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Defog

Zygarde @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute

First off, I started with an oddball. Red Orb Venusaur. I thought I was mad when I first started making the team, but it turns out it does just enough to warrant a spot on the team for good.

Next I added Choice Specs Lunala, another underrated wallbreaker in the tier. I identified that the majority of teams lack a Ghost resist and often rely on sheer bulk to tank Ghost type attacks, and therefore the addition of Choice Specs Lunala as an early-game breaker was stellar.

Next, I looked at the team, and realized that my Groudon-Primal counters did not exist. I chose Hippowdon for this, as it can easily tank whatever unboosted hit Groudon-Primal throws at it (bar a Fire Blast or Eruption from the uncommon mixed variant.) It also helped that it defended against Fire-type attackers in general, so I decided to give it Venusaurite to further optimize its role.

Every good team needs something that can deal with Xerneas, and what more to use than the one with the most utility options in MnM. Magearna is both dangerous defensively and offensively, being able to pull its weight as a bulky attacker, often forcing opposing Supportceus to act passively after being hit with a Fleur Cannon. This seriously helped out with the matchup vs balance teams, as I was able to get a semi-universal pivot to Volt Switch out of Pokemon it countered.
Fairy
My team appeared very weak to Zygarde, and only one Pokemon I find checks it reliably enough. Surprisingly enough, this Pokemon also has access to Defog, the support that I mainly need for this team. As such, Arceus-Fairy became a staple of the team, being a tank to the many Fighting-types in the tier that could break my team otherwise.
Fairy

Finally, I decided I needed some more offensive presence. After realizing that Ditto could copy my Venusaur and steal its boosts, and having the realization that Volc swept my team, Zygarde was a very obvious fit due to the resistances it provided. However, I started having trouble with balance teams, and decided to carry Coil to set up easier on some tankier teams, also increasing the longetivity of my Zygarde.

Fairy

This is probably one of my favourite teams that I've ever built. It's along the the lines of the Rayquaza team that I made for Round 1 of OMPL, and it mainly utilizes the lacking walls of Specs Lunala to its advantage.

Lunala @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Lunala is probably one of the most underrated Pokemon in MnM right now. Due to the fact that Altarianite Zygarde and Entei have scared away the Dark types that would have previously walled it (see: Mandibuzz) Specs Lunala has become one of the strongest off-meta picks there is in the tier. Lunala works wonders vs bulky offense and non-Gyaradosite leads, such as Uxie (whilst uncommon, I have managed to tear through teams previously using Pokemon like this). However, the real power comes into play in the mid-game, as it works so well vs Blissey-less BO that it 2HKOs the majority of Pokemon on these teams, and as I have stated, there are very few walls which can actually take two Moongeist Beams and retaliate back. What also makes Specs Lunala a force to be reckoned with is the fact that the majority of Support Arceus formes are slower than 322 Speed, and therefore this allows Lunala to 2HKO every Support Arc that lacks SpDef investment. It also acts as a buffer check to setup sweepers that this team may not be able to deal with, such as a +2 Pinsirite Lucario.

Venusaur @ Red Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpA / 24 SpD
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Growth

This is what I would consider the oddball of the team. It's unlisted on the VR, and is uncommonly seen on the mid-ladder, somewhat seen as a joke. However, I'd like to disagree with this. Venusaur has proven to be a very effective stallbreaker in my playtime, being able to stop the weather core of PDon + Golisopod with its nuclear Weather Balls. Giga Drain is used over Solar Beam as it helps matchups versus Golisopod (Kyogre-Primal OHKOs this when it has weather on its side). Synthesis is obvious, and part of what makes Red Orb Venusaur effective, allowing it to deal with Blissey even with a Toxic ailment. However, aside from coming in and firing off one or two Weather Balls, this Pokemon doesn't do much versus offense other than eliminate that weather core. 252 HP is to maximize bulk and allow it to take miscellaneous hits on the physical side (otherwise I would have chosen Roserade), and 24 SpD allows it to live two Electric Terrain boosted Thunders from a Pidgeotite Tapu Koko.

Hippowdon @ Venusaurite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Toxic/Stealth Rock

Hippowdon is mainly used as my fire-type check for when things get a bit too pair-shaped for the team. It can come in on Red Orb Raikou, reveal its Venusaurite, and happily take a Weather Ball, whilst KOing it with Earthquake. This is especially useful if my Zygarde is needed for another role, such as cleaning and defending from Imposters of Venusaur. It also acts as a backup wall to Terrakion if Arceus-Fairy is needed elsewhere, and helps reliably tank its hits. This is also the team's main Groudon-Primal check: often times, SD variants will break through, but they often become easy to revenge kill afterward. This is one flaw that this team has - if there are too many Fire-type attackers, Hippowdon finds it difficult to check all at once. 64 SpD helps Hippowdon deal with Mixed Primal-Groudon and Raikou, whilst the rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and Defense with an Impish nature to tank physical hits.

Magearna @ Sablenite
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpA / 112 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Heart Swap

You know me by now. This Pokemon is on... what, 90% of the teams I've made for MnM? And it's done perfectly at its role. Anti-leading Gyaradosite leads such as Deoxys-Speed and Shuckle, and severely cutting HO performance is what this Pokemon mainly does. It acts as more of a pivot than a special wall however, but it can be used as backup for opposing Specs Lunala, only barely tanking two and Pain Splitting the damage away. Speaking of Pain Split, this can also severely annoy Blissey, with the ability of underspeeding it due to a lack of IVs in Spe, and safely pivot out into other breakers on the team (Venusaur and Zygarde). Versus offense, Magearna acts as a check to strong special sweepers that the team lacks speed control for - for example, it acts as an emergency check to Xurkitree - considering how well Xurkitree has a matchup versus me if Stealth Rocks are on my side, it's easy to consider it for the team. And what else does Magearna do best in Ubers than counter Xerneas? Simple as, this is the queen of role compression in Mix and Mega right now, and an insanely versatile threat that can range from both defensive and offensive sets. 144 SpA and a Quiet Nature help Magearna OHKO uninvested Pidgeotite Deoxys-Speed (although to be fair, Deoxys-Speed shouldn't run max Speed anyway).

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Defog

The ever important Arceus forme of the team, and this Pokemon is mainly on the team to check offensive Fighting and Dark types, such as Terrakion, Zygarde, Keldeo, and Yveltal. It also acts as a backup versus Groudon-Primal, a Pokemon that could get a strong hold of the team if Hippowdon dies. As is with the nature of this team, Arceus-Fairy is played in the later game as a defensive threat that can deal with remaining breakers on the opposing team, stopping a Zygarde from cleaning up the team. It is also a holder of hazard removal - if it has next to no use versus webs, it is often sent in and sacked to help the rest of the team since this team lacks speed control, barring Zygarde. 252 HP, 220 Defense and a Bold Nature maximise Arceus-Fairy's defenses, whilst 36 Spe allows it to outspeed maximum speed base 80 Pokemon.

Zygarde @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Substitute

Zygarde is a breaker and revenge killer in one - with the lesser used Pinsirite stone, it can take a few more hits from the physical side, allowing it to be a better tank, despite its worse typing compared to Altarianite. The REAL reason for the change to Pinsirite however, was because Volcarona literally had the team in a vice grip if it ever got to +1. I decided to add Pinsirite to my Zygarde; and without even realizing it, I had just improofed my own stallbreaker. Pinsirite also has merits versus Buzzwole - as such, I can use a Substitute + Coil set to deal with Buzzwole and set up in its face. The same goes for Blissey - the 192 HP is not just there for show, it is to make sure that Zygarde can make 4 101 HP substitutes to deal with Blissey's Seismic Toss. 252 Attack and an Adamant Nature is obvious, and the rest of the EVs were put into Speed - mainly for the same reason that Arceus-Fairy has 36 Spe.

Threats to this team:

Mixed Groudon-Primal: Groudon-Primal can HP Ice my Zygarde or Fire Blast my Hippowdon, invalidating one of my checks to it. However, it is fairly well dealt with otherwise.

Xurkitree: If Stealth Rocks are up, Xurkitree can set up a Tail Glow and sweep my entire team. My only hope to stop it is to hope it attempts to Hypnosis one of my targets, and pull a double into Magearna if it is Mega Evolved.

Pinsirite Entei: Pinsirite Entei gives Stealth Rock Hippowdon a lot of trouble. It is only able to damage it through sand, and once that goes, Hippowdon can only phaze it out.

Opposing Choice Specs Lunala: If Stealth Rocks have been set, Magearna (if Mega Evolved) has a 27.3% chance to be 2HKOd by Moongeist Beam, thereby invalidating my one and only check to it.

Blissey: Blissey cannot be immediately broken by any of my team members and must be setup on before it can be dealt with.

Arceus-Ground: Due to the lack of switchins on the team, Arceus-Ground is a fairly big problem for the team, considering only Venusaur can switch in if Stealth Rocks are not on the team's side.

Genesect: Special Genesect has no switchins, especially if it plays well around Magearna, which is what I usually jump to. Pidgeotite sets can also screw over Magearna, Lunala and even Zygarde to an extent, whilst the Altarianite set isn't too difficult to cope with.

Overall, this team has faired me incredibly well over the past two weeks. It has made me soar over the leaderboard, and has given me the confidence that I lacked during the later weeks of OMPL. Have fun using this team!

Work in progress update: Keldeo @ Pidgeotite over Choice Specs Lunala
Added threat: Genesect

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)